75 – A Moment in Time
11.3k 23 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV - Marquis Elden Whitewater

I was sharing a drink with Captain James Remmington, my longtime knight and friend. Well, I guess he hasn't been my knight for the last few years. Now, we both serve under Her Majesty. 

James sat down his empty glass and placed a couple ice cubes from the small, magically enchanted ice maker on the table. I poured him another glass of the whiskey we were enjoying.

Neither of us had much to say. We had made a selfish request to Her Majesty, asking to be notified when their attack would begin. I didn't have much of a reason, yet she still humored my request. As a former noble of the Empire, I felt that I at least needed to be awake for its destruction. My dear Realyn was asleep with our son, Dylan. 

"Do you believe Her Majesty will spare those nobles that I mentioned?" I absentmindedly asked James.

"I believe she would have looked into their dealings," James said. "As far as I can tell, Her Majesty doesn't want to kill all of the nobles. Only the worst of the worst."

"Hmm." I finished my glass as well and poured another. I hope he is right. As corrupt as the ruling class has become, I did have those I considered good acquaintances. However, their fate is in Her Majesty's hands, and there is nothing I can do about that.

We continued drinking for almost an hour, and then we both received a message from Her Majesty. (Alright, everyone. The time has come to destroy the Empire—)

"So it's finally time…" I said.

James nodded. "That it is, My Lord."

"How many do you think will die tonight?" I asked.

James paused. "If I had to guess, I would say it would be in the thousands."

"So much death…" I muttered as Her Majesty talked inside of our heads.

"It is. However, it will prevent even more death and destruction in the future. That's what I believe," James said.

(—Ten...Nine—) Her Majesty began counting down.

I raised my glass to James solemnly. "To a better future, and may the dead find peace."

"Here, here," James said as our glasses clinked. 

(—Two… One… Now!) She said as James and I both froze.

We were still for almost half a minute, just waiting for the inevitable. Then, in an instant, we received a string of [system] notifications.

----------

System Notice to all users with the race: Human

User Darius Lightbearer, holder of the title: King of the Humans, has died.

Through right of succession, said title will be offered to user Richard Lightbearer.

----------

System Notice to all users with the race: Human

User Richard Lightbearer, chosen successor to the title: King of the Humans, has died and cannot accept the title.

Through right of succession, said title will be offered to user Henry Lightbearer.

----------

System Notice to all users with the race: Human

User Henry Lightbearer, chosen successor to the title: King of the Humans, has died and cannot accept the title.

Through right of succession, said title will be offered to user Arnold Lightbearer.

----------

System Notice to all users with the race: Human

User Arnold Lightbearer, chosen successor to the title: King of the Humans, has died and cannot accept the title.

No further successors have been chosen. The title: King of the Humans, shall be withheld indefinitely.

----------

System Notice to all users with the race: Human

The title: King of the Humans, has been withheld indefinitely. 

Qualifications to unlock the title: King of the Humans

Approval of a single user by a minimum of three of the current holders of royal titles.

List of current holders of royal titles:

Aiden Rancorock - King of the Dwarves

Dalia Midnight - Queen of the Vampires

Navi Nikita - Queen of the Fairies

----------

I downed the rest of the whisky in my glass. "And just like that, the leadership of the Empire is gone. I guess we really can't call it an empire anymore… Human lands?"

James took a long drink from his glass. "My Lord, what would you say if Her Majesty offered to make you the king?"

I chuckled. "I would politely decline without any hesitation."

"Really?"

"Of course, James. Life here in Midnight is wonderful. The people are goodhearted and well cared for. The city is constantly innovating. Meeting the new races is exhilarating. I'm busy with my duties, but I still have time to spend with Realyn and Dylan. I am able to be present in his life as he grows.

"If I was a King? There would be no way to spend any time with them. The rebuilding of the human lands is going to be a long-term project. One that I have no interest in spearheading. 

"I pray to the God of Order and the Goddess of Chaos that they help whoever Her Majesty decides will be the next ruler. They will need all of the help they can get."

James nodded as he finished his glass. "I agree. With expected refugees, our work will only increase from here."

"One final drink?" I asked, holding up the almost empty bottle.

James smiled. "Certainly, My Lord."

=====

POV - Sara

I stood at a table that had a large map of the Empire laid out on it. There were fifty colored pins stuck into it, giving me a visual of where all of the Midnight Special Forces were currently awaiting orders.

Steph was standing next to me, supporting me as I prepared to check in and confirm the destruction of targets.

(—Three… Two… One… Now!) Her Majesty said over the Fairy Communication Network.

I waited patiently for my five sergeants to check in. After what felt like an hour, but was likely only a minute, I received confirmation.

(Squad One, confirming destruction of all targets.)

(Squad Two, all targets killed.)

(Squad Four, elimination of targets is complete.

(Squad Five, destruction confirmed.)

I waited a few more seconds for the last squad to check-in. Looking at the map, I found where the sergeant was stationed. A small farming town on a hilltop, twelve miles from the capital.

(Squad Three, report,) I finally asked.

(...I can see it…) the sergeant said.

(Squad Three, what's your status?) I said.

After a couple more seconds, they responded in a voice filled with awe. (...Squad Three, confirming destruction of targets… It truly appeared to be a tear from heaven raining fire onto the capital… I've never even imagined an explosion that large… What a marvelous sight…)

For a weapon that Queen Midnight and Queen Nikita worked for two years on, I can only imagine how powerful it was. However, I don't have time to daydream right now. 

I reached out to all MSF soldiers. (All units begin the second phase. Assist any injured you find. Spare no expense in helping rebuild your assigned locations. Be ready for people to jockey for control of the towns. Watch them, and eliminate them if they don't meet the criteria Her Majesty decided on. 

(Report issues or requests. Become leaders of the communities if possible, or support a leader that meets the criteria.)

(((Yes Ma'am!))) A chorus of fifty shouts reverberated in my head.

I took a seat at the table and exhaled as I rested my elbows on the table. 

Steph rested a hand on my shoulder. "Is it done?"

I nodded. "The Empire was destroyed before it even knew it was at war… What the queens can accomplish is mind boggling. From what they can create here in Midnight, to the scale of destruction they just achieved… They are terrifying existences."

Steph wrapped her arms around me from behind. "We were fortunate to come under their protection. Many people that just died weren't as lucky.

"All we can do is support them as much as we can. I truly believe that they will guide each of the races to a better future."

"I hope so," I said. "I truly hope so."

=====

POV - Dolores

I was laying in bed, unable to sleep. I thought about how different my life is now compared to the life I once lived. 

When I think back to how I used to act, I hate myself. I was so spoiled, entitled, and tyrannical. If I could go back and slap myself, I would. 

Then I think about myself in the cell. How alone I felt every day. My only hope being that one day I would die.

Now, I have a room inside of a castle that is nicer than any room I had in my now burnt mansion. I'm receiving an education that is miles ahead of any academy in the Empire. 

I'm learning from Marquis Whitewater how to manage a territory properly, and I'm beginning to make friends. The people here are so kind and don't shy away from me because of my past actions.

As much as I'm trying, I'm still finding it hard to forgive my previous self. That hateful person is still a part of me. Being young and stupid isn't an excuse that I'm comfortable with. I was terrible, and I fear a part of me still is.

Closing my eyes, I tried my best to fall asleep, and eventually I drifted off.

I woke up with a start as I tried to get my bearings. A series of [system] notifications flashed in my vision. As I read them, a knot formed in my stomach.

Having an idea of the scale of the attack that just occurred, I shuddered. That would've been me. I was on their list to be killed. I provided names of people that were just killed. If I wasn't enslaved by the priest and rescued by Steph, I would've just died. If I was still in that cell and the mansion blew up in this attack, I would've died.

I curled into a ball under my blankets and began to cry.

I don't deserve to be here. I don't deserve to be living happily here. Yet, I'm so happy to be here and don't want to leave. I'm scared of dying, but I feel so guilty for living. I'm so confused. I'm happy, relieved, sad, and scared, all at the same time. 

I know that I shouldn't be here. That the only reason someone like me is safe is out of sheer luck and the kindness of Steph and Her Majesty. I know I don't belong here, but I crave to be accepted.

As I cried while holding myself, I muttered to myself. 

To the maids I've hurt, "I'm sorry." To the villagers I oppressed, "I'm sorry." To the people I unjustly jailed. "I'm sorry." To everyone whose lives I destroyed. "I'm sorry." To the people I just condemned by giving their names to Her Majesty, who will never get the chance to repent like I received, "I'm sorry." To the women in cells like mine that must have just died while I lay in a warm bed, "I'm sorry." To the bystanders that just died, "I'm sorry." To the people whose lives were turned upside down tonight, "I'm sorry." To everyone I'm bothering here, "I'm sorry." To all those that died while I was allowed to live, "I'm sorry."

I don't know how long I cried under my blankets while apologizing to anyone and everyone, but I eventually fell asleep once more.

=====

POV - Ailine

(—Two… One… Now!) Lia said in my mind.

I felt horrible. I was sitting in bed, alone, while Lia was out completing her task. I'm so angry at myself. I made a promise to lift some of the burden off of my dear Lia. She's too kind to be forced to kill so many people. I was supposed to help her. I was supposed to be there with her. But ultimately, there wasn't anything I could do for her.

Right now, I imagine Lia is watching the results of her actions. Thinking about how tumultuous her emotions must be right now breaks my heart. 

I wasn't able to be there. I broke my promise. In the end, she was the one to kill the men with the twisted smiles. While I'm here, safe in our room.

I know there isn't any reason to pray to the gods. What they can do is limited. The Church of Balance also doesn't have formal prayers, but I feel like I need to do something.

I got on my knees, clasped my hands, and lowered my head, similar to how I used to pray to Sol. "Oh, Goddess of Chaos and God of Order, please watch over my Lia. At this difficult time that I can't be with her, please comfort her. Don't let what she just did weigh too heavy on her heart. She has completed part of your task, so please look out for her. I pray that you will be there for her while I can't. Please… Please…"

I felt a tear roll down my cheek. 

I wish I was there with her. I wish I could hold her and tell her it'll be alright. I wish I was stronger and could've done this for her.

I stayed there for a long time, missing the woman who saved me but that I couldn't save.

=====

POV - Navi

(Alright, everyone. The time has come to destroy the Empire—) Lia said to all her peeps.

(Tauki, Carmen,) I said to my babies that had their own bombs ready to drop. (Remember what I told you. Check your bubble level scope one final time, drop the bomb, and fly up and away as fast as you can.

(After your bomb explodes, eventually the shockwave will reach you with some fast winds. Be as far away as you can and don't fight the wind if it hits you. Tuck your wings and just go with it.

(Mommy loves you, and tell me when it's done and you're safe.)

((Yes, Mom,)) they both said back.

I checked my scope one final time while Lia continued talking. Over the last couple weeks, my babies and I practiced flying straight up at a steady speed for a given time, so we should all be about the same height above our targets. 

With the bombs being pretty aerodynamic and heavy, a breeze shouldn't move them too much as they fall. Even at around two miles in the air, the wind is surprisingly low. Since there isn't a whole lot of drag, these should take about twenty-five-ish seconds to hit the ground. Give or take a second or two. 

The bombs my babies have are much smaller than mine, so the winds from theirs will be lower as well. We might have gone a bit overboard when we made this massive thing in my bag. With this being the capital, the density of worthless trashy people was higher. Especially around where this bomb should hit. Along with the other targets here, the Knight Academy and the massive barracks are all rigged to blow.

These people have no idea what's coming.

(—Two… One… Now!) Lia said

I took out the massive monstrosity Lia and I made. Immediately, I activated the light enchantment on it, making it as bright as a flare. As it began to fall, I turned tail and flew up and away as fast as I physically could. 

Twenty-five seconds after the drop, I glanced back just in time to watch as the mass of enchanted metal smashed into the top of the enchanted castle. A split second later, it exploded. From this high, as I watched the increasingly large fireball, I could also make out the shockwave as it expanded. 

A second after the initial explosion, the wave hit some of the targets that were rigged with an air pressure trigger. They all began exploding as well. Most were pointless, as the blast was strong enough to blow away all of the buildings nearby, but we wanted to make sure when we placed them. 

I turned away and kept flying as fast as I could. I activated my strength enchantments on my armor, just to be sure.

Less than fifteen seconds after the blast, it felt like a waterfall hit me from behind. With nothing to gain purchase in the air, I curled into a ball and just went with it as the winds battered me.

After a few seconds of tumbling through the air, the winds died down to a reasonable level and I knew I was in a free fall. 

I uncurled and began flying again. 

(My babies, are you alright?) I asked to Tsuki and Carmen. 

(I'm good, Mom.) Carmen said.

(That was nuts!) Tsuki said. (Mom! Can we do that again?!)

(Can we, Mom?) Carmen asked as well. (That was a lot of fun.)

I looked back down as the devastation left from the bomb. (I thought that was fun, too! But, I doubt Aunt Lia will want to use one of these again. Mommy will make you some smaller bombs you can drop in the dungeon. How's that?)

(Thanks, Mom! That would be awesome!) Tsuki said.

(Yeah. Thanks, Mom,) Carmen said. (We love you.)

My heart melted a little. (Aw, I love you, too, my sweet little girls. You two go ahead and fly home. I'll be back soon with Aunt Lia and Talon. Feel free to play with any bandits you find on your way home.)

(See you later!)

(Bye, Mom.)

From the sky, I admired the damage we did. "It's so beautiful…"

I had to shake myself out of my thoughts. Knowing Vamps, she's probably feeling like poop. I should probably go comfort the big ball of emotions as soon as I plant this thing she gave me at ground zero.

"What a troublesome sister," I said to nobody as I flew towards the crater that was once a castle.

=====

POV - Dalia

It was such a weird sight to see. At about five miles out from the castle and a mile in the air, we had a good view of the entire city. The explosion was immediate. When the bomb impacted the castle, a massive ball of fire engulfed the area.

As the shockwave expanded, its edge could easily be seen as the dirt and debris from the explosion was pushed along with it. As it passed into the noble district, the other explosions began, adding to the destruction. I doubt those were really needed, looking at what the bomb did, but it is what it is. 

With the area obscured, I couldn't yet make out how much of the castle was destroyed, but I had a hard time believing that any of it survived, even if it was enchanted.

The explosion itself began to twist, and formed the distinct mushroom cloud effect as the pillar of smoke, vapor, and debris floated to the sky on the sudden updraft. 

As the shockwave passed through the city, many of the buildings collapsed or were blown away by the wind speed. Especially those made of wood, but the taller stone buildings didn't fare much better. 

Without the benefits of rebar and modern construction techniques from Earth, the stone buildings were weak to a sudden force applied to them and cracked, leading to their collapse. 

The farther away from the castle, the less damage buildings sustained. I had to wonder just how many people died from their homes collapsing on them. How many are injured and trapped underneath the rubble?

Erald doesn't have search and rescue teams like Earth does. After 9/11 or a major earthquake or tsunami, many lives were able to be saved by search parties. Here, so many people are now doomed to die from thirst or their injuries while trapped. 

And I was the cause of this.

Yet, I still have to admit that this was our best option. The capital was where a majority of the knights, mages, and members of the church resided. Only a small portion of the knights lived in the shared barracks. Most had homes in town. To eliminate as many as I could at once, so many people had to die along with them.

As the blast reached the outer wall of the city, I still hadn't heard anything. The debris it was kicking up was lessened, but I could still make out the edge of it from the buildings that collapsed.

When the shockwave passed the wall, it wasn't nearly as strong. But neither were the buildings of the slums.

With almost no structural integrity, intended to only keep most of the sun and rain off of their inhabitants, the winds from the explosion tore through the poorly made shacks.

Just like the Big Bad Wolf, the dwellings of straw, sticks, and tattered cloth, were almost all blown down. 

Since none were multiple stories, there wouldn't be as many people dying from the collapse. However, deaths would likely be from blunt force of an object hitting someone, being pierced by wood, or from infection after this.

We had just killed a vast majority of the mages and priests in the former empire. Medical science is almost non-existent in this world. Instead, they relied on light magic to heal infection and disease. The Empire limited the amount of people that could learn magic in order to control the population. 

With those magic users now dead for the most part, casualties from infection and disease will be enormous. Potentially even more people will die from that compared to those that died from this attack. From hearing about and seeing some of their living conditions, I really wouldn't be surprised if a disease decimated the population.

"Land on the air platform I'm making, Talon," I said to my riding partner.

(Okay!) she said.

Just like with my platforms I use for jumping and maneuvering, with enough mana, they seem to hold solid in the air, unaffected by outside forces applied to them. When Talon landed, I formed a sphere around us, except for a small hole behind us. I wanted to hear the explosion I helped to create.

A second or two after I was done, I heard the loud boom of the explosion, followed by the long, drawn out growl of it. The barrier was holding, but was using up points of mana in the thousands to hold a hippogryph and rider completely still in the air for an extended period of time with a barrier of air surrounding us.

My footholds are normally small and last only a second. This is like creating a giant foothold under Talon's feet, as well as a shell of them all around us, and maintaining them. I had to make them thick enough, just to make sure, unlike the soundproofing magic we can use that is a very thin layer. I was burning through mana fast.

After a couple dozen seconds, I decided the majority of the wind was done for and released the magic. At this point, the winds had become a strong breeze, so nothing bad. Talon opened her wings and began gliding with the wind as she regained her control. 

(Navi, are you alright?) I asked.

(Yup!) she said. (I'm placing your thing then I'll be right over.)

What she was placing was a final piece of this attack. It would be placed at the center of this explosion, in the cleared crater that was created. 

It was a large circular stage with statues of humans, dwarves, elves, vampires, and fairies all holding hands and looking out from it. These statues with generic looking people of both sexes, besides the fairies since they can only be girls, repeated all the way around the stage.

In the center was a large engraved tablet. The diamond tube with the Godsword was embedded in the tablet so it could be seen from both sides. Engraved in the large tablet was a message. 

The next King or Queen of the Humans will usher in a new age of peace and prosperity. They will join with the other races, and all of Erald will benefit.

To reach new heights and claim the Godsword and royal title, the most worthy of the humans must first gain acceptance from the Queen of the Vampires. 

The most worthy of the humans should venture to the site of the last battle with the vampires, and seek out the Vampire Queen. 

Success will mean that the chosen human will lead their race to a glorious new future. Failure will mean death.

The entire stage, statue, and tablet were covered in tungsten alloy. Navi also enchanted them for extra strength. A small light enchantment will make the diamond tube glow as well. Enough cores are stashed inside of the stage to last a few years. 

Between the materials and enchantments, this set piece was built to be extremely solid. With the best magic users now dead, it would take a huge amount of time for anyone to break into this. 

I didn't want to just hold onto the sword because it would be extremely suspicious for me to have it. Thus, this was created to hold it.

I felt like doing something like this was my best option. I can have the potential rulers all come to me, and I don't have to search for them. 

Additionally, regardless of whether they believe Sol or Chaos and Order were responsible for all of the destruction, the message is clear that the races should come together. Too bad I didn't put a recording of We are the World or something playing in the background. 

If the humans think that Chaos and Order were responsible for tonight, then they have to admit that they are the gods that rule the [system] and seemingly want the humans to be prosperous in the future. They also have to admit that Sol did nothing to save them, and realize that the gods can kill them all if they so wished. 

If the humans think that Sol was responsible for tonight, then they have to question why it happened. Why their god decided to kill so many. Why their god wants them to join with the other races when all they have heard has been hate being preached towards the other races. 

There will be so much confusion. With no spiritual or municipal leaders, my MSF soldiers will control the public's perception of the situation. They will guide the humans towards accepting everyone. The humans will be led by the nose, and never realize it.

As I watched the smoke rise in the night from the ruined city, I thought to myself once more. 

I truly am a villain. I am the worst person on Erald. Its greatest mass murderer and manipulator. Yet, I must continue. Even as I want to throw up thinking about how many people are currently screaming, crying, and dying. I must continue on, so that I can build a future where destruction like tonight is never seen again.

The chess game that I would have needed to play to destroy the Empire was tedious. Instead of playing, I just decided to flip the table. I cleared the board, and now I can rig everything in my favor. 

I'm a villain that must appear to the world and its people as virtuous. That's my only option. To revitalize this stagnant world, I must shake it to its very core. 

I'm a villain, and I won't seek forgiveness. I don't deserve it, and I hate myself for what I've done. Yet, I'll survive to see this through to the end. I'll selfishly survive so that I can one day live peacefully with Ailine and Anastasia.

I guided Talon to the ground to wait for Navi and did the best I could to shut out my tumultuous emotions. We're going to be busy in the near future.

Hello everyone,

TLDR:

Spoiler

Life is crazy, and the last arc of chapters before the story is finished will be delayed a bit.

[collapse]

Thank you for reading this far! This story has been a lot of fun to write up to this point. It's my first time writing, so I really appreciate the support of so many people.

My personal and work life has been crazy for the last couple months with the holiday season. Unfortunately, that means I haven't been able to write much. 

We are finally to the last arc of this story before its completion, but the chapters I did manage to write weren't satisfying to me so I scrapped them.

All of this means that the last chapters will be delayed. For how long, I'm not certain. I want to wrap everything up in a way that I think is satisfying, so thank you for being patient with me. 

Once I am able to write a good conclusion, I'll do a mass release of the chapters.

Thank you for your support and the time you spent reading this! 

See you space cowboy.

92