Chapter 8: Breakfast with the Siblings
236 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I can feel a warmth moving and caressing my body. The smell of trees and a clean breeze tickled my nose. Birds singing and the sound of running water called to me. Hmmm. Time to wake up, I guess.

 

As I open my eyes, I look around and see an unfamiliar room. I was lying on an unfamiliar bed looking through an unfamiliar window.

 

I began recalling what happened before I lost consciousness. All I remember was drowning in fluff and being hugged too tightly. Hmmm. That’s weird.

 

So, I pat myself and checked my equipment, they were on top of a small table and a chair. I looked around and notice that the bed looked like it belonged to a couple.

 

This might be Mia and Felix’s parents’ room. I should get ready for the day.

 

By the way, how do Cait Siths clean themselves?

 

Do I have to lick myself or bush myself?

 

Do I have to bathe like when I was human?

 

Also, how do Cait Siths relieve themselves?

 

Hmmm… what should I do?

 

A soft knock came from the door while I was thinking about this. Then a voice followed next.

 

 

“Sir Victor, are you awake?” (Mia)

 

 

She said softly,

 

 

“I’m awake. I’m just meditating.”

 

“Oh. Sorry to disturb you. Breakfast is ready. You haven’t had supper last night, so we have a hearty breakfast for you. Come outside when you’re done.” (Mia)

 

“It’s fine. Thank you. I’ll be out soon.”

 

 

Well, I was diving into an ocean of silly thoughts again. Mia’s call was a welcome interruption. I should ask her if they have an outhouse or something.

 

I left my equipment alone for now. It might look weird and suspicious if I have my equipment on while we start breakfast. From what I can smell it’s some grilled or roasted fish and fresh bread.

 

My stomach growled in anticipation for the meal to come.

 

 

“Time to get out.”

 

 

As I opened the door, I watch the siblings perform their morning rituals. Mia was in the kitchen, dining, and living area. She was humming as she stirred a pot of some soup or stew. Just outside the open window, I can see Felix quietly chopping wood.

 

With the windows open, a gentle breeze carried the scent of Mia’s cooking towards me. The aroma permeated my senses and went straight my stomach coaxing a loud growl, unfit for my tiny stature.

 

 

Grrrrrrrrr

 

 

Mia even without her keen sense of hearing looked behind and smiled saying,

 

 

“Sir Victor, it’s almost done. Please sit while I call brother and prepare the food.” (Mia)

 

 

Then she shouted from the window.

 

 

“Brother, take a break and eat for now.” (Mia)

 

“Huh! Sure. I’ll just put back the firewood.” (Felix)

 

 

As I sat on the chair, I pushed down the feeling of embarrassment. I would have loved to help her set up but seeing the plates were on the shelf above the kitchen counter. My help would be more of a nuisance than actual help.

 

It’s hard to be tiny. I should really file a complaint on Fluffy. For a god-like creature, he sure is quite willful and silly at the most inopportune moments. I remember him trying to catch a bird but all his stealth and hunting was useless to a bird on the TV.

 

How can such a creature be the follower of a god? Are gods in Gaia this weird? Or is Fluffy the only exception? I hope for the sake of the inhabitants that there’s only one of him.

 

 

“Good morning, Sir Victor.” (Felix)

 

 

While I was thinking about Fluffy and his Fluffy-ness, Felix has already sat on the chair across mine.

 

 

“Good morning, Felix. I hope I didn’t cause you any trouble.”

 

 

Felix quietly replied,

 

 

“…please. On the contrary, it should be us who should ask for your forgiveness. I didn’t know that the villagers would be ecstatic to see us.” (Felix)

 

 

Felix paused before continuing,

 

 

“The parents of the children also wish to pass their regrets for not being able to stop their children from their boisterous actions.” (Felix)

 

“Oh! There was no harm done. The Flu-children has been quite a delight. I have never been welcomed with such enthusiasm.”

 

“Then I relieve their concerns. Thank you for being understanding Sir Victor, your kindness is a bottomless spring.” (Felix)

 

“Hahaha! Oh, you. It’s fine.”

 

 

Mia placed a bowl of thick soup, some roasted fish, and a small loaf of bread next to me. Then as she goes back to prepare hers and Felix’s portion. She said,

 

 

“Brother, you forgot to mention that the villagers will prepare a small feast to thank Sir Victor for saving us.” (Mia)

 

“No, you forgot that the Village Chief would be the one to say that later. As a surprise to Sir Victor. You weren’t listening to last night.” (Felix)

 

 

Mia’s cheeks blushed and her tail and ears were pointing straight up. Her eyes were starting to water. I thought she would tear up, but she just cleared her throat and continued setting the food.

 

She then replied,

 

 

“You wet the bed until you were six.” (Mia)

 

“You! Petty brat!!!” (Felix)

 

 

She just sat down and sipped her soup quietly as her brother fumed. However, it looks like Felix wants to have the last word.

 

 

“You still pester me to sleep with you when there is a thunderstorm. Even at your age!” (Felix)

 

“Pfffff!!! How dare you to say that with Sir Victor here.” (Mia)

 

“You boorish tomboy!” (Felix)

 

“Limp weak sh*t brother!” (Mia)

 

 

They look like they won’t be starting their meal yet. Hmmm. If they continue their antics. The soup might spill.

 

I just watch them as I sipped on the rich thick soup. It was some starchy root vegetable and some recooked dried meat. The meat had that matured meat tang. How tasty. I sipped some more as the two bantered.

 

 

“You crybaby brat! I’ll let you sleep alone when there’s a storm outside.” (Felix)

 

“You sleep talking pervert! I heard you! ‘I’m ticklish stop that!’ Does that sound familiar?” (Mia)

 

 

Oh, the roasted fish is good too. It’s roasted with some nuts while wrapped in leaves. Not bad. It’s nice and buttery, and oh so very flaky. It goes well with the thick soup. Yum.

 

As I tear a piece of the bread, I watch the two-grapple hand-to-hand. Pushing against each other. Felix using his skill in efficiently manipulating the mana in his body and enhancing his muscle strength. Meanwhile, Mia is using her superior strength to push against her brother.

 

They are quite alike in weird ways. Hmmm… Yummy.

 

This bread is not bad. It’s like an extra chewy wholegrain sourdough bread. I should be having trouble eating this especially since I am physically quite similar to cats. However, I am doing fine eating this bread and the ones from the rations during our trip towards Dao Village.

 

 

“Give up you fake maiden!!!” (Felix)

 

“You give up! You trying-hard pretend knight!” (Mia)

 

“Grrr…” (Felix)

 

“Raaaa!!!” (Mia)

 

 

They remind me of the times when Fluffy would bring a friend only to lose his dinner to his sneakier friend. Then they would chase each other all over the house. Good times.

 

They are playing too much. Their meals will get cold. Time to stop them, I guess.

 

 

“Children, you should eat, or your food will get cold.”

 

 

Both Mia and Felix had apparently heard me. Soon they stopped and ate sheepishly. Their fluffy ears somehow have a tinge of red on the areas where some skin is showing.

 

 

“Excuse our antics Sir Victor.” (Felix)

 

“Ye-yes, we’ve acted shamefully. We’re both very sorry.” (Mia)

 

 

Their larger figures still project a drenched kitty look. It might be a racial skill, this wide pupil, kitten-eyes look.

 

My heart skipped a beat and felt a little constricted. Their looks make me want to pat their heads and rub their chins and the shell of their ears.

 

 

“Cuuu… Yesh. I mean. It’s fine. Ehem. Let’s discuss what we will do for today instead.”

 

 

Then we all eat together with some anecdotes from their childhood. Both of them trying to out embarrass the other. They are like cats that can’t help but chase each other’s tails.

 

What I gathered from their banter is that the nearest town is about 14 days on a slow wagon or 5-7 days on a fast horse. This village is quite far from other towns or villages. It is also near the center of the continent [Amihan].

 

Most of the people here are made up of beastkins, elves, and dwarves. There are some gnomes and halflings too.

 

The human-like beastkins are called apekins. So, humans are called apekins in Gaia apparently. For me, they look like humans from Earth but apparently, they are just known as apekin. The word “human” is unfamiliar to them.

 

Then we talked about how the chief wants to hold a small feast as a show of gratitude and apology for being bothered by their children. Felix mentioned that it would be held at dusk today, just before nighttime. There will be a bonfire and some roasts caught by the adventurers, according to Mia.

 

 

“Meow. I’m full. Thank you for the meal, Mia.”

 

“I’m grateful that you’ve liked it a lot Sir Victor.” (Mia)

 

“Do you have any plans Sir Victor?---” (Felix)

 

 

Mia, then quickly added,

 

 

“I don’t mind helping you look around the village Sir Victor.” (Mia)

 

“Don’t decide for Sir Victor.” (Felix)

 

I couldn’t help but chuckle, the siblings witnessing my reaction had their tails and ears standing straight up before flopping down as they wilted. It was so funny how they were so in sync that I might have laughed out loud.

 

 

“Forgive us Sir Victor!” (Mia)

 

“Excuse me and my sister.” (Felix)

 

 

I was now laughing louder and both of them were so embarrassed I wouldn’t be surprised if their fur turned pink.

 

So, I ended their misery and told them, “I would be delighted if both of you accompany me around the village.”

 

After they both finished cleaning up, we three left their house and went on a stroll around Dao Village.

6