Vol 1: Ch 13 – The Engagements
1.7k 2 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Last Edit: 9/2/19

It was early morning, summoned by her mother, Freyja made her way towards her mother’s office. Morgan, Martel, and Shiro had returned late the previous night and brought a strange little girl who could transform into different things with them. Freyja gave a slight sigh when she realized Martel was a magnet for the weird and unpredictable. She entered her mother’s room and waited to be addressed. 

The Queen was on the opposite side as she looked through the window. “I have been going over the reports Morgan gave me. To think she would come back capable of using Healing Magic, even if only at this level. At any rate, it seems that the opportunity was wasted.”

“What do you mean?”

“It seems Martel did not take advantage of the situation and… Claim the Princess.”

“Mother! What are you saying?”

“I’m saying I am tired of taking the indirect route. I am also tired of waiting for you. As such, I intend to submit a formal proposition of marriage between you and Martel.”

“But mother-”

“No buts. Do you believe me unaware? The reason you postpone the matter of your marriage is to marry the man you love, yet I doubt that you have even acknowledged your feelings for him. I have seen it. You have been smiling ever since he came here. When he left your mood plummeted, and when he came back, it rose again.”

“Why… Why him?”

“Aside from what I just said, power, and control. Duran has said he believes Martel is holding back far too much in his sparring. I take it very seriously when I hear that he could potentially single-handedly wipe out an entire unit and has the intelligence to wipe out an entire army with sufficient resources. We need to make sure never to make an enemy of him, and that is where you come in.”

“So you are only using me.”

“Is that such a bad thing?” The Queen asked as she finally turned to Freyja. “You will be ensuring the country security by being married to the man you love.”

“Since when was it decided that I love him?”

“Do not be so obstinate.”

“He said he does not wish to take our name.”

“That is not necessary, take his. The entire reason why the men marry into our family is because of our superiority. Here we have a man who is not only superior to us in every way but has unearthed the truth behind Magic. There is no point in him taking our name. I find it more prudent for our family to take his.”

“He said he does not wish to be king.”

“Then resign the throne to Duran. Duran has changed. I do not know if it was Martel’s influence, becoming a father, or both. The boy who thought of nothing but battle now comes to me a man who wishes to learn of the intricacy of diplomacy and government.”

“But-”

“Do not make me repeat myself. You do not have a say in this matter, I have already decided it. I have told you beforehand purely as a courtesy so you can come to terms with your feelings.”

“...”

“You are excused.” The Queen continued as Freyja turned to leave the room. “Please do not misunderstand, I also wish for your happiness.” 

End of Day -200

 

At dusk, Martel looked out from the veranda as he watched the setting sun. In his hand was a letter from the Queen. At this point, he had become fluent in their language, so he was well aware of its content.

“You asked for me?” Freyja asked as she entered the room. Her voice was more timid than usual.

“Do you know this is?” He asked as he held up the letter.

She nodded her head and looked down. “I do.”

“Your mother wishes me to marry Morgan,” Martel said awkwardly. 

Freyja looked up at him in shock while her mouth slowly opened and closed wordlessly. 

“What’s this? Could you be struck speechless with jealousy?” He continued as he tried to maintain a serious demeanor.

“Well… I…”

“Sorry, it was a poor joke. Please come here and watch the sunset with me.” They watched the sunset for a couple of minutes before Martel spoke again. “Your mother approached me this morning with this, a proposition of marriage, to you.”

Freyja nodded her head. “She told me as well.”

“That does make sense, given what we spoke about. Tell me, what is the real reason why you have not found yourself a husband?”

“I have already told you.”

“I asked for the real reason.”

“I… I wish to marry the man that I love.”

“… And I would say that it is foolish to marry for love.”

“Are you mocking me?”

“Not at all. Where I lived in my world, marrying the person that you love is something that has been common practice for over 200 years. I still think the mentality itself is foolish. Feelings fade. You shouldn’t marry the one you love, but the one you trust to stay with you even when the love is gone. If love exists, then that is great. But I would say, more important than your love for them, is their integrity and love for you.” He took her hand and looked her straight in the eye. “Which is why I will tell you this, I love you.”

Freyja looked down, her cheeks reddened. She began as she continued to look down. “Then you wish to marry me?”

“Only if you love me.”

“I thought you said you didn’t want to be king.”

“You can give the throne to Duran.”

“I thought you said you didn’t want to take my name.”

“You can take mine instead.”

“Do you not wish to go back to your world?”

“I will take you with me.”

“What if I cannot go with you?”

“I will stay with you.”

They both stood there frozen as they faced each other though Freyja still looks down.

“Freyja,” Martel began as he interlocked her fingers with his with one hand and raised her chin with the other. They stared at each other for a moment as they felt the warmth of their hands.

“Do you love me?”

’Freyja’s vision blurred. “I do, I love you.” She softly whispered.

They slowly got closer until their lips met. A sensation like an electric buzz flowed through both of their bodies as they entrusted themselves to the other. It was not a kiss of passion; it was a kiss as sweet and pure as our feelings for each. When their lips made contact, they both felt as if their cores; as if their very souls, trembled in excitement and joy in their mutual acceptance and love for each other. They both could feel the slight tremble that came from both of their bodies and inherently knew the other’s sincerity and that they had given the other their first kiss. 

They were not excessive and slowly parted after a couple of short seconds, but, to them, it felt much longer. Freyja fell into his body and rested her head against his shoulder. Martel embraced her and pulled her even more tightly as if he feared that she; that this moment, would disappear. Freyja, in a trance, looked at his close face and lightly brushed her fingers against his lips as his gentle breath tickled them. She seemed to be in a trance; as if she could not believe what had just happened. For some time, without a word, they stood there in each other’s embrace.

“By the way,” Martel said after he had recovered with a small smile. “I will still probably end up making babies with Shiro,” He said it as a half-joke as there were ways to accomplish that outside of the usual means if it ever came to happen.

Freyja, who did not know those ways, but still understood he wasn’t serious, had an unimpressed expression on her face. Her hand slowly moved up to his face to lightly pinched his cheek. “Geez,” She said with a small smile and a sigh. “You know how to spoil the mood, don’t you?”

“Oh? Then let me rectify that.” He said as he moved in for another long, sweet kiss.

They held each other basked in the glow of the sunset as Freyja began to speak again. “So, when shall we be wed?”

“I cannot say. I do not feel it right to do so at this point. Given that I may have to fight this Red Dragon, I could die. I would not wish to leave behind such a young widow. If something were to happen to me, I would like you to be able to move on.”

“Please, do not die. Do not even entertain the thought.”

“Unfortunately, there are only three ways a hero story ends. He dies in battle; he returns from whence he came; and finally,” He held her even more tightly with a smile. “He gets the girl.”

“I thought you said that you were not a hero.”

“I may have to be, now that I have found something worth fighting for,” Martel said as he looked deeply into her eyes. Freyja continued to blush as a sweet expression filled her face before Martel continued. “I suggest we keep this secret from everyone except your mother until we have a set date. I fear that this kingdom’s enemies will not take kindly if we married. I would not wish any harm to come to you, especially when I may not be here to prevent it.”

“I… I understand,” She said with a small smile.

“Make no mistake. I love and have loved you for so long; I was overcome before I realized it. I do not see myself ever not loving you.”

They kissed again as the sun set and left them in darkness. Only Martel didn’t notice someone hiding behind them.

End of Day -199

 

In the afternoon, Martel waited for Duran in the war room with Freyja. It was quite clear that she wanted to grab his attention, so he teased her as he pretended to ignore her. He was amazed by how much they seem to be able to communicate and understand without words. Duran walked in, and the two of them reflexively sat at attention. They did not do so fast enough as Duran had a puzzled look on his face in response. However, he did not comment on it and proceeded to sit down with papers in hand.

“I received some information just a short time ago that I wish to inform you of,” He said. “Before I do so, however, I would like to know what you have already heard about the supposed Demon King that is leading the Demihumans, Martel.”

“A figure who has never been confirmed. He appeared approximately five years ago and began launching guerrilla warfare attacks against supply wagons. In all instances, the supplies were taken, and the guards were incapacitated, no casualties.” Martel answered.

“All correct. Though he was thought to be superstition, it is no longer the case.”

“What has happened?”

“The Fort that Roxburghshire had just recently finished construction on the coast has been captured. Of the 50 men who were stationed there, 40 were released with ten held hostage.”

“They must be using Gentle Touch for there to be no casualties. Any demands?”

“Formal peace talks.”

“Oh? That sounds wonderful,” Freyja said.

“I agree,” Martel confirmed as he clasped his hands together. “What is the response to these demands?”

“I do not know. This news was brought to us immediately. I do not know the response of Roxburghshire.”

“Understood. I will make haste to Roxburghshire in the morning.” Martel said as he noticed a small negative change in Freyja’s expression. “Once again, I intend to take Morgan and Shiro. I believe that Stephanie will also be of assistance as I would like for her to go through the documentation in Roxburghshire. Finally, Duran, I would like you to come with us as well.”

“I welcome the opportunity. Lately, Mother has been hounding me with lessons of diplomacy and government. She has been very unforgiving.”

“Sorry about that.”

“What?”

“Nothing. Be ready tomorrow morning; we leave early.”

End of Day -195

 

Martel awoke early as usual for his training. As he came back, he saw Freyja, who appeared to be there to wait for him a little ways away from the others. As she seemed not to have spotted him, he decided to change his approach. He went to her blind spot and grabbed her quickly around the corner. 

The quick look of shock slowly faded as she gave him a small smile. “You enjoy scaring me, don’t you?”

“I prefer the term surprising,” He replied with a sly smile before he moved in for a gentle kiss.

“I must forgive you then.”

“I must say I enjoy all the secrecy. It feels like we’re doing something naughty.”

“Yet you are the one who refuses to join me in my chambers.”

“And I cannot believe you to be so forward in that matter. As I said, you will be my wife the moment that I bed you. Let us bask in the bliss that is innocence for a while longer.”

“I had no idea My Hero was such a romantic,” She replied with a beautiful smile.

“It is easy with one as beautiful of mind and body as you. Although it pains me, I must go.”

“Come back safely, My Hero.”

“I shall do my very best, My Goddess,” He replied with a grin before they shared another kiss. 

After, they made their way back to the others. “Well… It looks like we only have to wait for Goldie.”

“W-who are you calling Goldie?” Morgan said.

For a moment, Martel was confused as she came from somewhere unexpected, but the thought quickly passed. “Oh, there she is,” He said with a smile. After he had observed her for a moment, he became serious when he noticed her evasive behavior. “Are you alright? Your face looks red.”

“I-it’s nothing. J-just your imagination. At any rate, please tell me you brought more than one tent.”

“Of course, given the number of people who are going, we need more than one tent.”

“Good.”

“Naturally Duran and Sophie will have their tents while you, Shiro, Callie, and I will be sharing the other,” He replied with a smile as he teased her.

“Like hell!” she said as she punched his face.

“You don’t know how to take a joke, do you?”

“Don’t joke about things like that you pervert!”

“Yes, yes, Goldie.”

...

They made their way on horseback through the town. Shiro sat directly in front of Martel on the horse and Cali had opted to transform herself into a black breastplate, which Martel wore. 

As they made their way to the town, Martel recognized one of the guards. “You there, guard. Come here.”

He hurriedly made his way over to them as he recognized Martel. “Sir,” He said at attention. Shiro shrunk down as he does.

“I believe the two of you got off on the wrong foot last time,” Martel said as he patted Shiro’s head. “Let me introduce her again. This is my apprentice, Shiro.”

“Lady Shiro. I apologize for my conduct when we last met. I hope you will forgive me.” He said as he bowed his head.

“It… It’s okay.”

“Now then, it is time for us to be off,” Martel said as they took their leave.

After we make some distance, Shiro started to speak. “I’m… I’m your apprentice?”

“Aren’t you? You have taught me Gentle Touch, and I have been the one teaching you how to fight otherwise. A good student learns from their teacher, and a good teacher learns from their students. Do you not like it?”

She looked up at Martel with an adorable smile. “I like it.”

“Okay. Then if someone asks you who you are, you can say that you are the Hero’s Apprentice.”

End of Day -194

 

For the next week, the six of them traveled down the well-established roads leading up to Roxburghshire.

26