Chapter 29 – Spider Gwen
1.1k 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a Club,

Jay entered a bar, booming with music, flushed with red light, seeing the people dance. He took out his phone, seeing the message, moving towards the bar.

His eyes fell on Gwen Stacy, sitting on the barstool, drinking. It put a smile on his face as he walked up to her, "congratulations!!"

Gwen barely heard his voice through the music. A grin appeared on her face, "Jay!!!"

Jay hugged her, "congratulations on passing your first year."

Gwen beamed, "thank you. Upcoming summers, maybe I can come work for you?"

Jay sat down beside her, ordering scotch for himself, "sure, although it's just one of the companies that I own. You won't be seeing me. Right, where are the others?"

Gwen pointed towards the dancing crowd, "there!"

Jay followed the direction of her fingers, finding Felicia because of her hair. She was dancing with MJ and Gloria Grant.

Although they were dancing and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, "Is there some tension between them?"

Gwen stood up, walking over to him, whispering in his ear, "MJ and Gloria were dating, but there is sexual tension between Felicia and MJ. So, Gloria and MJ had a fight over that."

Jay put his hand against her shoulder, smiling, "Ouch, that must be tough. Anyway, you found any boyfriend?"

Gwen kept drinking from her staw, looking up, "No, I don't have the time. There is so much to study! I barely get any time to spend with others."

Jay leaned in, whispering in her ear, "are you sure that is the only reason?"

Gwen tensed up, "What? No, there is no other reason."

"I mean the reason why you don't have time. I saw the videos of this masked vigilante that people are calling Ghost Spider."

Gwen gave a reluctant smile, "Yeah, I heard about that too!"

Jay stood up, pulling her towards the back, reaching the hallway before the bathroom, putting her against the wall, "what happened? How did you become the Ghost Spider?"

Gwen shook her head and hands, flustered, "what! I am not!"

Jay flicked her forehead, "don't be stupid. I am not only your friend. I am also one of the top 10 richest people on Earth. When the girl wearing Ghost Spider gave me a familiar feeling, I did my research. If you want proof, I have proof."

Gwen became calmer, "you are bluffing."

Jay flicked her forehead again, making Gwen hold her forehead, "that hurts!"

Jay smiled at her, "that was stupid. When you say that I am bluffing, it means that I am right. But I don't have any proof. How is that any different from admitting that you are-"

Gwen put her hand on his mouth, "stop! Don't say that!"

Jay raised his hands, removing hers, "we need to talk about this."

Gwen took a deep breath, "later? We are going to MJ's new house after this. We can talk there when others are asleep?"

Jay rubbed her upper arm, "yeah, don't worry about it. I understand. Your secret is safe with me. I have a secret of my own, very similar to yours."

Gwen's eyes brightened, "you have a secret superpower of your own! Everyone was talking about it about how you took care of that robot even without any suit!"

Jay chuckled, "No, that wasn't any superpower. It was just martial arts and quick reflexes. Moreover, Tony was the one that took care of that guy."

"You must really think people are stupid. Or haven't you heard all the chatter on the forums in the past week? There are so many people guessing if you created something like super-soldier serum? Did you?" Gwen inquisitively asked.

Jay shook his head, "it's nothing like that." He hesitated when he turned his head, his scarlet eyes glowing, passing through towns, cities, forests. They passed nearly two thousand miles, looking at the sky, watching a hammer fall towards Earth.

He shut his eyes, turning towards Gwen, "I have an idea. How about I show you? Something interesting is happening."

"What about others?"

Jay chuckled, walking towards the bathroom door, "just come." He opened the door, walking in with her, and the two came out of a diner, with Gwen confused, "wait, where are we?!"

"New Mexico?" Jay had an amused grin as he watched her reaction.

Gwen looked around, "did we teleport?"

"In basic terms, yes."

Gwen looked around, "something feels wrong. Is this some kind of illusion?"

Jay opened the portal, "No, this is mirror world. I will explain later." He rotated his hand, opening the portal, walking with her, entering a crater with Thor's hammer on a pillar.

There storm around still hadn't left. The black clouds were covering the sky.

Gwen was confused, "we came all the way to see the hammer?"

Jay tapped on the hammer, "How about you try picking it. It's heavier than it looks."

Gwen looked at him suspiciously, "I have super strength. It doesn't matter how much heavier it is."

She put her hand on the hammer, trying to pick it. But no matter how hard she tried, it wouldn't budge. Her face became red, trying to pick it, but her hand slipped, her body came crashing against Jay.

Jay hugged her from behind, feeling her breath heavily, "this hammer doesn't belong to this world. You should know that you are not the only one. Frankly, even without the oncoming event, by the end of the 2020s. This world will be filled with people who had superpowers. Some good, some bad. People like us will become beloved or hated, depending on our actions. Gwen, why did you become a vigilante? How did you awaken your powers?"

Gwen tried to turn when she realized she was sitting on a semi-circular bar sofa, "Ok, I know what you are doing. You are keeping me on my toes, trying to break my sanity?! Stop it!"

Jay laughed, the music buzzing his ear, "sorry, it's just that now I don't have to hide that I can use magic. So I am a bit handsy with it."

"Magic? Yup, that makes perfect sense. Since I can sleep one night and wake up with powers, then you can absolutely have magic."

Jay put his elbow on the table, his palm supporting his cheek, looking at Gwen, "so? What was it that motivated you?"

Gwen came closer to him, with one of her legs on the bar sofa, her hands holding her ankles, "believe it or not, it was because of Black Cat. Father has been chasing her for months with no success. He was so close to her when he fell down the stairs and broke his leg. I was in the hospital beside him, and I was just hoping that in some way. I could help him when I fell asleep. When I woke up, I had these strange powers."

Jay narrowed his eyes, thinking about it. It was like a thread unraveling. Because Felicia became the Black Cat, more people were getting involved. It made him wonder if MJ knew about these two. Will she awaken her powers because of jealously.

He let out a laugh thinking about that, causing Gwen to sulk, "can you not laugh?"

Jay shook his head, "No, there is so much that I have to tell you. There is so much that you have to learn about this vigilante thing."

"So? How many more are there? Do you know how do we awaken our powers?"

"Do you know multiverse theory?"

"Yeahhh?"

"Well, in one of the parallel universes, a Gwen Stacy was bit by a radioactive spider, gaining abilities of a spider. It caused her bio-energy field to change. Someone in our universe put - what I call Evolutionary Fire inside you. Latent, until one day, your desire broke through some limit, changing your bio-energy field to that of your counterpart. In the universe, the change happened from inside to out, from cells to the bio-energy field. In this-"

"It happened from inside to out? Because the bio-energy field changed, my cells are changing? Giving me power? Wow! That's so awesome!" Gwen's eyes were shining, her fists clenched.

But soon after, she hesitated, "wait, how do you know I was bit by a radioactive spider in that universe?"

Jay put his hand on her cheek, her eyes rolled back, turning white, her body fell forward in his arms. He hugged her, stroking her back, "have a fun journey of the multiverse."

He used magic to raise her body, putting it on the sofa, her head on his lap, "it's not like we have much time."

It was about ten minutes when Felicia's message came, asking where the two were. He messaged her, and in moments she rushed over, with MJ and Gloria with her.

"Jay!" MJ came over, sitting beside him, hugging him, "it's so good seeing you!!!"

Jay put his hand on her back, "who do we have here, Mary Janes, my favorite band!"

MJ kissed his cheek, "it's all thanks to you."

Jay shook his head, "I am sure you would have made it on your own. I was just worried that someone might try to exploit you."

"That's so sweet!"

"What happened to Gwen?" Gloria looked towards Gwen, sleeping.

"She'll be fine."

24