Chapter 96 – Indispensable
401 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two Weeks after Convergence, 

Jay was sitting on the bench at Central Park, looking towards Emma Frost, "so, what now? We are here." 

Emma was sitting on the bench with her legs crossed, reeling in the atmosphere of this Earth, "it's different...even though it's the same." 

Jay rose his feet, putting his hand inside his black, ankle-length long coat, looking at the peaceful lake in front of him. 

His soft black hair moved with the wind as if it was caressing them. His scarlet eyes turned towards Emma, "take your time. I am going for a walk." 

He turned on the heels of his black boots, stepping forward to leaving when Emma held his hand, "stay...I need to talk...I need to figure out."

Jay sat down, twisting his body towards her, keeping his one folded leg on the table. He looked towards her, "what is your safe place? The first place that you want to go to?" 

"Inner Circle... we had a purpose...to protect the world from the Pheonix." 

"And?" 

Emma scoffed, glancing towards him, "you took that away too. When you helped Jean merge with the Pheonix." 

Jay narrowed his eyes in a smile, "hmm, that is true. But that is not the reason why you are not going back to the Inner Circle." 

Emma stared at the lake with a dull look, "I lived my life in that school. For whatever reason that I stayed there...I taught them...lived with them. I...liked that. Inner Circle might not be that kind to those kids...I am torn." 

"I don't like either way," Jay whispered, "be it Charles way or Magnetos. Each is at the Extreme Spectrum of the solution. That is why...why don't you try something new?" 

"New, like what?"

"Let's see...the first thing first. Do you know what will change for the Mutants after Convergence?" 

"There'd be more buyers? More people like that girlfriend of yours. Who wants to provide so-called asylum? It will become an arms race." 

"Be it something as small as the ants, to something like the multiverse. Everything moves towards a balance. This comes out more...outrageous when it comes to humans. Today, we know that there are other parallel universes. We know that the realities can collide and destroy each other. We know that there is Norse and Olympus; we have Mutants and Inhumans. We have twice the universes, so twice the alien threats. Since both Earths are what is merging and stopping the realities from colliding. They are the only way to travel from one universe to the other, so it's a prime location that the most powerful races in the universes would like to control," Jay let out a breath. 

He took another breath before speaking, "and with all that...what do you think is the most rational action that humans should take? What would you do?"

"Use everything at my disposal? Make Earth stronger? Strong enough to stand against whatever is coming for us?" 

"Yes, and the Inhumans and Mutants are a part of that too. So are the dimensions like Olympus and Asgard that are in some ways connected to Earth, and there must be other Pantheons. Asgard will protect the Earth because it's in their territory and at the root of World Tree. If we have enemies, we have allies. And in some ways, Mutants, Inhumans, are more likely to survive and help humanity's survival. The question is...what about those that didn't evolve, the ones that are more likely to die? It's the truth that these people make up 99.9% of the human population. And 0.1% that is different. They leave destruction in their wake. Because it's not a natural evolution, but the one that is born out of necessity."

"Stop, you lost me. Long ago," Emma raised her hand, closing her eyes, shaking her head, "what are you trying to say?" 

"Earth's, both, need balance. Not just the balance between the Mutants and Humans. But the bigger picture is that we need a balance between Mutants, Humans, Inhumans, Aliens, Pantheons, Dimensions, and Hell. It will take decades to become a part of Earth. A Century without negative incidents to be universally accepted on Earth. But till then, if we need to live with dignity, then there is something else that we need to do." 

"What?" 

Jay lightly smiled, "make ourselves indispensable." 

Emma raised her eyebrow, "and we are supposed to do that how?" 

Jay stood up, "that's on you. I have no idea. Just run it by me." He walked away, smiling at her. 

Emma glared at his back, "don't go too far." 

Jay waved his hand, "yeah. I know. I know." He stopped a few steps away from her, glancing back, hesitating, "get your spark back...Emma. I liked you that way." 

He looked forward, taking a step forward when it was like someone pulled his leg. He fell down on the ground, face first, feeling the grass on his eyelashes, "meanie." 

Emma walked over, moving her hand to raise his body in the air. She turned his body to face her, pushing his body against the tree, squeezing his neck as his body floated above the ground. 

She walked over, with wrath on her face, walking to him, "you did not like me!! You used me! You used your power to manipulate me to do your bidding! You know what you did!! That wasn't love! That was!" 

She breathed heavily, nearly crushing his neck, "that was...that was." 

Jay raised his trembling hand, stroking her cheek; suddenly, the voices in his head died down until there was only one. 

(My mind is open to you. But I don't you need that to know what that was.) 

Emma threw him towards the bench, causing his body to strike against it, landing on the ground. He sat up, coughing with a sore throat, feeling the pain in his back. 

He slid down to the ground, turning on his chest, moaning in pain, "ugh..." His eyes turned hazy as he turned to his back, letting out a mocking chuckle, speaking in a cracking voice, "wow...I didn't know...body could be this weak." 

Emma walked over, looking down at him, "you really lost every last bit of your powers. Then what use are you to me?" 

Jay glanced towards her, closing his eyes, without being able to say anything. 

Earth, 

Primo stretched his back, feeling the pain in it. The worse thing was he couldn't even heal it, "dad, you ok?" 

Primo blinked, glancing at Ruby, sitting in front of him, studying, "nothing. Btw, what happened to your trip to Sokovia? Skye was excited to take it?" 

Ruby curled her lips, "we were busy, dealing with an Enhanced. By the time we got there. He had already left for the other Earth." 

Primo chuckled, "Skye must have been disappointed." 

"Disappointed? She is striking out until they let her go to the other Earth," Ruby played with the pen, rotating it on her finger. 

Primo let out a breath, "I was thinking...that I should join in too." 

"No!" Abruptly, Ruby got up, slamming her hand down. The pen fell from her finger, bouncing off the table, falling on the floor. She glared at him, "you are staying at home. Or your company! You are not fighting, agenting, soldering, or superheroing. Or whatever you want to call it." 

"Sweetheart, you are out there fighting the good fight. Being your father...I really can't just sit at home," Primo pressed his lips, screwing his eyebrows in worry. 

Ruby shook her head, "No way! It's too dangerous! One from our family is enough! Stay at home!" 

She shut the screen of her laptop, taking her notebooks, "and we are not discussing this!" She took her things, rushing off inside to her room. 

In the Evening, 

Primo sneaked inside a house, looking for any signs of presence. His eyes landed on the largely empty living room with a few chairs and a single table. 

He looked towards the sound of the door opening, seeing Bobbi walk over with sweat covering her body, removing boxing gloves. She turned her eyes towards him, raising her eyebrows, "oh, hey? Did something happen?" 

Primo shook his head, "that turning both your and my apartment into one and making a base?"

"Yeah, Secret Warriors could meet there too. That way, we can remain in contact with other branches too. We all need to be in contact with each other," Bobbi used the towel to wipe the sweat off. 

Primo pressed his lips, raising one side of his mouth, wincing, "yeah, that. Not gonna happen. Ruby has me under house arrest." 

Bobbi scoffed, laughing, "you do know how crazy that sounds? Your daughter, the crime-fighting hero, the popular Gravity Girl. She is against her father fighting crime?" 

"Fighting crime? I doubt she'd want me to even leave the house," He walked over, standing behind her, making Bobbi lean her head back. He bent down, stroking her neck, kissing her lips. 

Bobbi closed her eyes, breathing in, "we need that place. Or someplace. We need a network. Someone needs to bring everyone together. There was someone who could do that...but well...he kinda died saving us all. So, someone else needs to step in, and currently...you are someone who could do that." 

Primo stroked her chin, his nose brushing against her forehead, "I am...a bit scared of her. So, you can try." 

Bobbi narrowed her eyes, "why? She's not even you..." 

Primo covered her lips, narrowing his orange eyes, "don't...ever...say that. The only thing that I regret...is that I didn't erase everyone's memory of her origin. She is my daughter. Always will be." 

Bobbi was taken aback, nodding, "ok...sorry I said anything." 

12