Chapter 196 – Step Parents
139 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Jay? Oh, my, how long has it been," A middle-aged woman stroked Jay's cheek, looking at him like a mother would look at her son.

Jay gently smiled, "Aunt Helen, sorry...I can't move freely. Otherwise, I would have come to see you much sooner." 

"Jay? Jay?!" George Stacy had just curiously come to see who came when his eyes widened in shock.

Jay waved his hand, "Uncle, it's been a while."

"Been a while?! That's an understatement, kid!" George laughingly walked over, hugging Jay, "Lavena and Illyana have come to see us more than you have!"

"Well, technically, not the whole world is watching for their movement. Did you know that even if I step out of my house, that is newsworthy?"

"Ugh...don't remind me," Helen shook her head, "So many times we sat in front of the Tv when someone messaged that there is news about you on the Tv. Only to realize that someone might have caught a glimpse of your look-alike in some country. Only for the media to covert it into some X creating an army of your clones. Or some other disaster that never happened. Anyway, come on in first, before someone catches a glimpse of you."

She carefully peeked out of the door, sneakily closing it as George patted Jay's shoulder, "You should have told me before that you were going to come. I would have called Gwen. That girl...she has been so busy with this Superhero News nonsense."

Jay chuckled, grinning as a dimple appeared on his cheek, "I do see her whenever she comes to my house for breaking news. Although, she's on Omega Earth, right?"

"Yeah," Helen worriedly sat down on the sofa as Jay and George took the seats, "I told that girl the other Earth is dangerous. At least, here we have you...but the other one...I don't trust that brother of yours."

"No one trusts Sephiroth," Jay sighed, "But Lavena...she just wouldn't listen that he's dangerous. For you, he might be my brother. But for that girl, he is my clone before a certain point in time. She looks from those colored glasses like many others that he is the same as me."

As he spoke, his eyes turned towards the HPPG on the table, "I see that you are using one of those as well."

"The new guns, after seeing the quick results on the Omega Earth, our leaders bought the system as well. I guess fear defeated corruption." George shook his head, "One month later, there was the great wave that swept all the corrupt officers and the gangs that were being supported by these corrupt officers. I almost lost my job as well. Some of the officers under me used my name to run a small scam of their own."

Helen rubbed George's hand, "He was so worried about that...if it wasn't for Spider-woman who exposed them, then I didn't know what would have happened."

George's eyes twitched, shaking his head, "Forget about that. What happened so happened. Things are different now."

"Hmm," Jay softly smiled, "Still, you look...conflicted about this gun?"

"Well," George rubbed his head, "Call me old-fashioned, but it takes away many of the decisions that were in the hand of police...still...I haven't heard any major complaints."

"Major complaints? There has been a group of ex-cops, mostly corrupt, that is rising as a terrorist force. I am starting to get worried about George more and more every day," Helen linked her arm with George's, worriedly telling Jay.

"There is no need to tell him that. We will handle it," George furrowed his brows when Jay chuckled.

"It's ok, Uncle. I understand why Aunt is worried... nowadays, whenever there is a terrorist organization rising, some supervillains pop up. If one is focused on police...then even I'd be worried. Which one is this?"

Helen hastily nodded, "Jay understands my worries. This one is targetting the police and superheroes."

"Oh, shouldn't it have been taken care of it by now?" Jay raised his eyebrows.

"No," George shook his head, "These Watchdogs...they can someone dodge the sight of Oracle System. Some teams have been trying to prove that they can do better than the Oracle System...still. There haven't been any results."

"Have there been deaths?" Jay's smile disappeared as he crossed his legs, becoming more invested.

George hesitated, looking towards Helen, "A few, but we haven't been able to find any proof. Which is strange in itself."

"Hmm, strange indeed," Jay's scarlet eyes flashed. He had thought about meeting everyone that he held dear to see if there was a chance that Mephisto planned to use them as pawns as well. But to think.

"Someone that can evade Oracle," Jay sighed, "I guess that proves there is a way to counter every surveillance."

George let out a laugh, "Yeah, but still, as a police officer, I am not a big fan of the Oracle System. But...as a husband and father...it's a different story."

George stared at the gun, taking a deep breath, sighing with his complicated feeling visible over his face.

Jay leaned back, "I'll visit the Omega Flight to see what's their stance on it."

"Oh, we know Omega Flight's stance. It's Mr. Coulson's team that is looking for the Watchdogs and their hideout," Helen waved her hand as if she didn't believe that it was going to do anything.

Jay chuckled, "Don't worry. I will make sure that they give Coulson more resources."

George let out a breath, "Ok, enough of that. You came back home after so long, eat with us. I am going to call Gwen to see if she could come for a visit."

Evening,

Jay stepped inside an alley when Spider-woman came down, hanging on the web strong, "Mister, you didn't hear that alley's in New York are dangerous?"

Jay grinned, "No, because I know that Spider-woman would save me."

Gwen slid her mask up to her forehead, grinning, "Yes? But Spider-woman might need a little something in return."

Jay took off her mask, combing his fingers through her hair, planting a kiss on her lips, clasping her lip between his, "Would this do?"

Gwen softly kissed him back, "You are kidding, right?"

Jay kissed her chin, "Yeah, I am ready to give my whole body to Spider-woman."

Gwen grinned, "Better, now...what drew you out of your man cave?"

"My man cave? You mean Wanda's house?"

"Nah, it used to be Wanda's house, now it's your man cave," Gwen jumped down on the ground, circling her hands around his neck, "Jay...mind if I ask something?"

Jay stroked her waist, cupping her neck, kissing her, "Mm, ask away."

Gwen kissed his neck, "Did you...give up on the world?"

Jay stroked her cheek, leaning against the wall as his eyes became distant. He had two avatars, and they were the ones that did most of the work. But as Jay, he just attracted the gaze of the world and did nothing.

It was simple misdirection; Once they gave up and turned their appearance towards something else that was shinier, this identity could move in the shadows. 

But that was something he knew, and so did the few others, but not everyone knew. So, they had thoughts of their own about his situation.

"Jay."

"Mm, mm, listening," Jay turned his eyes towards Gwen, kissing her cheek, caressing her hair, "Gwen...I am not sure. I just don't think that I need to work hard anymore. Do I?"

"You could help with the Watchdogs? You are the only one that I can think of...who can find people that can evade even the Oracle System."

"Ok, ok, I will."

"Great!" Gwen happily grinned, giving him a long, deep kiss, climbing on his body, "Tomorrow, at SNN Headquarters!"

"Tonight?"

"Hehehe, my place."

5