Fetch Quest – Nine
675 17 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Breakfast felt weirdly normal; we saw Heliara, and she gave us a warm smile, then went back to talking to three of the others.

Hoping to avoid farewells, which would be awkward at best and potentially overwhelming for Syl, we kept it as casual as we could—but we found Rose waiting for us when we left the dining room.

“I know,” she said, falling into step with us. “Not why, Lunessa told me not to ask that, just that you have something to do. But she asked me to help you get your things together and all. I hope you can come back.”

“We’re hoping to,” I said. “But we have unfinished business first.”

“Not everyone lives here all the time, you know. Some have things that matter to them outside, and they come spend time here when they can. From the stories you’ve told us, you both love the challenge of exploring forgotten places far too much to ever stop, but when you need to rest in between, you can find us.”

“We’ll try,” I said, though I saw Sylvael wince.

Extra hands were very useful while we gathered up everything that had managed to travel from the caravan to our apartment to take it in the opposite direction—the carnelian cat was already hidden in the caravan, in Syl’s cubbyhole under the bed, behind her books, inside the white bag we’d been given.

Next to the caravan was a large rectangular basket covered with linen; it turned out to hold fresh bread, fruit and vegetables, and baked goodies, along with a note that simply said, For the road. Be well.

Rose helped with harnessing Jem and Rav, and gave us each a kiss before we climbed onto the wagon seats.

“Aim for about three months if you can. On the full moon, I’ll be renewing my vow for another year, and the others always hold an enormous party to celebrate. Who am I to refuse? It will be a lot of fun.”

“We’ll definitely do our best,” I said.

She stood back, while Sylvael clucked to the horses. They were reluctant to actually do something so difficult as walk after more than two weeks of lounging around being pampered by horse-loving residents, but finally did so. She waved, and turned back towards the rest of the settlement.

“I guess that’s it,” I said. “We drive back to that crossroads where we came through before, use the whistle, get transported back to Enzaneth, give him the cat, get you changed back to your old self, tell him to bugger off forever, and then we can get on with our lives.”

“Um... I need to talk to you about something.”

“What’s wrong, sweetheart?”

“Um... you’ve mentioned the whole changing-back thing a lot of times. Is that... really important to you?”

“What? Syl, what’s important to me is for you to be happy. I thought that was what you wanted.”

“I, um... I don’t know... I thought it was a big thing for you, and the most important thing is to be with you and for you to be happy, but...”

“Hold on. Are you trying to tell me that you don’t want to change back?”

“I never really thought about it before. I was okay with being male. I mean, it wasn’t the reason I had trouble fitting in with most people, and we met and I love you but I don’t think it had anything to do with how I feel, but I don’t know how you feel, and... um...” She trailed off, and sighed deeply. “I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to make you feel bad but I think I actually like being female better. But if you want me to, I’ll still do the thing and change back, but...”

“Syl. Stop the horses.”

“What?”

I reached over to grab the reins and drew them to a halt myself. Then I stood up and pulled Sylvael to her feet. She had her eyes down, uncertainly, but she let me wrap both arms around her and kiss her.

“The only thing that matters is what you want. If you don’t want to change back, then don’t. I love you for being you, and I’m going to keep right on loving you either way. This is a decision that affects you more than anyone and it’s up to you to make it, and I’m still going to be here either way. Okay?”

She snuggled into my arms. “Thanks, Keva.”

“I just want you to be happy with yourself. If you are, I will be. All right? So, plan as previously stated, with one point less.”

“Right.” She gave me a loving kiss, then we parted and resumed our seats. The cobs snorted and swished their tails, but after a moment they started walking towards the Gate again.

The outside world didn’t seem to have changed, but possibly we had. We stayed at a walk until we were through the small gate at the end of the lane and were out on the road.

Syl turned the right way and urged the horses into a trot, which I thought might mean being in a hurry to get this over with. I pulled out the bone flute to toy with it anxiously. There wasn’t really much to talk about, other than the occasional inane comment about a bird or a squirrel.

It didn’t take us all that long to reach the crossroads. Sylvael slowed the horses and brought them to a stop with the river in sight.

“Ready?” I asked.

Sylvael nodded. “I don’t know if he’s going to show up right away, but I hope it’s fast.”

“I know. I hate waiting, too.” I raised the whistle to my lips and blew. There was no sound, but then, he’d told me only he could hear it.

Despite everything, we did still have to wait.

Syl hopped down to pet the horses and split an apple between them from the basket of food that had come out of the Omphalos with us. While they stood with heads at half-height, drowsing on their feet, Syl and I shared a bit more of the fruit and some delicious bread with fresh butter. We made sure we had the carnelian cat at hand, between us on the caravan’s entrance platform, in its white bag that made me think uncomfortably of a shroud.

It felt like half the day before Sylvael noticed the blue line that had appeared on the road. She jumped down and led the horses up close to it. It grew steadily until it was large enough for the whole caravan, and at that point, Syl urged them through.

I crossed only with regretful thoughts about leaving the Omphalos, and fervent hopes that we really could find it again.

We were not by the east gate of the city where we’d spent several days. In fact, I wasn’t quite sure where we were, although I did see another crossroads nearby, and this one had a stone pillar with words carved on it. Judging by the style, we were at least back in the same country we’d been in when we’d encountered the wizard.

Enzaneth stood by the side of the road, arms crossed despite his grasp on his staff, and he looked irritated.

“It took you long enough,” he snapped. Sylvael cringed, and retreated back to me.

“It was a complicated job,” I said tersely. “We told you that it isn’t our usual kind of job and that we don’t have the right skills for it. You were the one who insisted on blackmailing us into it anyway.”

“Fine, whatever.” He made a dismissive gesture. “Did you get it?”

“We got it.” I picked up the white bag and stepped down to the ground. “Do you have the gold you promised us?”

He gestured, and a wooden chest appeared beside him, heavily engraved with symbols. He opened it and withdrew four leather bags that jingled.

“One thousand genuine local gold crescent coins, and my sworn oath that I will never again involve myself in any capacity, directly or indirectly, in the dispute between you and Duke Caulsey of Covingnor or anyone associated with him... oh, yes, and one thing that I imagine your husband is quite impatient to have. As soon as both sides are met, the bargain is complete.” He reached under his robe for the gold-and-tourmaline thing, which he held out to Sylvael.

“No thank you,” Sylvael said.

The wizard paused, confused. “What?”

“I don’t want to change back.”

The wizard sighed. “That was explicitly part of the bargain.”

“I’m declining that part. I’m not doing it.”

“Do you not know how magical bargains work? All terms must be met.”

“I’m not going to do it. You can’t make me.”

“And what does your wife think of this? It affects her too.”

“Syl feels really strongly about this,” I said calmly. “I don’t know whether that appeal to me means you think we have a poor relationship or that you just don’t understand what a loving relationship is, but I’ll stand right behind her on this.”

“Equivalent payment can be made in a magical bargain,” Sylvael said. “As long as both sides agree.”

The wizard heaved a long-suffering sigh. “Fine. Having gotten this far, I want that cat more than I want the gold or you, so let’s stop wasting time and find an equivalent so we can all get on with our lives. What do you want? More gold?”

“You could give me the tablet.”

“What?”

“Well, I’m completely sure that I’ll never want to use it, but there are probably other people who would like to. So I could give them the chance to.” She tilted her head to one side. “With consent. And explanations. Not being sneaky and then using it as a kind of leverage.”

“It appears,” I added, “that particular kind of leverage doesn’t work as universally as you presumably thought it would.”

“It’s a rare artefact that is worth an enormous amount,” Enzaneth snapped. “That is not equivalent.”

We argued it back and forth, but honestly, we were in a weak negotiating position, so we finally settled on a further payment in cash. He didn’t have another two hundred and fifty gold crescents, so we accepted that amount in the lion-embossed coins of the neighbouring country. We could always use more coin of any kind, and besides, I could see a few more shopping trips in the future to buy Sylvael new clothes that she liked as well as new clothes that fit properly for when we were working. That seemed rather fitting, really.

I tossed him the white bag, though not without some qualms. I could still hear Heliara assuring us, all will be well, but I still hated it. He untied it and opened it to look within, and he couldn’t quite control his grin of triumph.

“The bargain is met on my side,” Enzaneth said, and looked pointedly at me. I looked at Sylvael, who nodded.

So I said, “The bargain is met on our side. And I very much hope that I never see your face again.”

“I can think of no reason for that to happen.” The white bag in one hand, he spun the staff around himself in an arc, and vanished.

I wondered what would happen when he let that cat out of the bag. Would it simply walk away?

Sylvael and I gathered up the bags of coins so we could stash them in Sylvael’s cubbyhole under the bed for the moment, behind his books.

“Um, Keva?” Syl said from underneath. “We have stowaways.”

“We have what?” I dropped to hands and knees to crawl in after him. The space wasn’t huge, the same size as the bed above which fit the two of us just right; the books took up some of the space, though there was enough for Syl to curl up cozily.

She gestured and I looked.

Behind a couple of stacks of books were the black cat brothers. The one with more white looked at us, yawned, and settled himself more comfortably in his cozy ball with his brother.

“And how are we supposed to get you two home?” I asked them, but I got no reply. “Well, let’s hope we really can find another entrance to the Omphalos, but until then, I guess we have passengers. If we empty that basket of food and put a blanket in it for them, I bet it’ll be a good size. Just so no books slip and hit them or anything.”

“That makes sense. You don’t mind, do you?”

“Did you have anything to do with their being here?”

“Of course not! I wouldn’t take them from their home!”

“Then why would I mind? It’s just cats being cats. I’m just really hoping that we can do an adequate job of looking after two of the goddess’ own animals while we’re on the road. But I’m sure we’ll manage. You’re good with animals. We certainly can’t just throw them out.”

We both wriggled out and stood up; Sylvael made sure the sliding doors were ajar enough for them.

“We’ll have to figure out a litter box or something,” Sylvael said reflectively. “Or a cat-door in the door. Or something.”

“We will. But first.” I caught her, a hand on her waist, the other cupping her cheek so I could search her face. “It’s done. No changing back. How are you feeling?”

That brilliant smile told me everything. The enthusiastic kiss just repeated it with emphasis and trumpets. “Wonderful. And no regrets, I promise.”

“Good. So. We have enough money that we don’t need to do a mad scramble to find another job right away. Let’s just wander a bit, shall we? Wherever the road happens to take us.”

“Anywhere’s good. Just as long as anywhere you’re going, I get to come.”

“Right back atcha, gorgeous. What do you think, north-east?”

“Sounds good!”

46