Chapter 55- Detective Twins
451 3 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 55- Detective Twins


The debrief went as expected; the Unwanted mourned their losses. An Elder died, five Calamity, 45 Raptor and 203 Fodder. It was sad but the Unwanted only looked forward, they had defended the city and their honour. 

Mercy was severely injured but he pulled through. A healer came to regenerate the lost bones in his body. Boseman was fine too, he was more robust and took the attacks better. The two Overseers weren’t present however, they never were. The adventure games got delayed for three more days, the city still needed to clean up all the dead bodies and the blood stained battlefield outside.

Sol was in his room, trying on the new shadow wolf hide outfit he received as his contribution. It suited him fairly well, the auto sizing perk made it snug around his body. He didn’t know anything about fashion but even he couldn’t lie that he felt good. He sprayed some expensive aftershave on his neck and wrists. He pulled his hair back all the way out of his face and used some wax to keep it there.

His phone buzzed; glancing at the name he picked it up.

“Hey, Sol,” Elora said.

“Hey, you ok?” Sol asked.

“I’m good actually. The monster horde gave me a level,” Elora replied.

“That’s great news, how’s Kara?” Sol asked.

“A little shaken but she’ll live. Umm- I’m having a party tonight and well, there’s no guys there so I was wondering if you wanted to come?”

“Sure, I’m going to an auction now but I can come later. What time?” Sol asked.

“Anytime after 8, we’re celebrating after the monster horde. Did you want to bring your team?”

“I can ask them for sure, is it at your place?” Sol asked.

“Yeah, I can send you the address if you want.”

“It’s ok, I remember.”

“Ok, well-uhh, see you tonight I guess,” Elora awkwardly ended.

“Yeah- yeah, see you tonight.”

Sol ended the call and checked his hair again in the mirror. Making sure it was up to the standards of her lady-ship.

“I’m going out,” Sol declared as he made his way down the stairs.

“That suit is really nice,” Summer said. “Where’s it from, Davons?”

“I got it from the horde.” Sol replied.

“And you did your hair?” Summer remarked. “You’re going on a date.”

“Auction actually,” Sol explained.

Summer smiled at him.

“Remember to do your workouts, I’ve organised more appointments with your tutors.”

June groaned.

“I thought you guys wanted to become strong. It always starts with cardio,” Sol explained, glancing at himself in the downstairs mirror.

“Yeah but running sucks,” June complained.

“Then do some star jumps or get on the cycling machine,”

June just ignored him as she buried her face into a book.

“See you guys tomorrow,” Sol said as he closed the door and headed for the nearest station. 

June looked over to her sister who was glued to her phone. Impatiently, she went upstairs and began to sift through her brother's bedroom. When Sol came home from the monster horde, the sword on his hip was clean. There was not a drop of blood on it. She found this peculiar as the rest of his clothes were roughed up.

She found nothing in his room, he was not a person to have personal belongings. No watches, no photos, no laptop- nothing. After finding nothing of interest, she decided to head out to the Adventurer Guild and look at her brother's profile. June was a very smart woman, not only was she academically smart but she could deduce things with minimal effort. But the one thing she couldn’t make sense of was why Sol would bring a new blade out when he had been fighting in the hordes. She knew he was an adventurer, she had seen him fight before so he was definitely capable.

Her curiosity outweighed her conscience. She went back into her own room and put on a large black cloak. She added a hat and sunglasses to fit the look. She went to leave her room but when she opened her door Summer was standing there with her arms folded and a disgruntled look on her face.

“Where are you going?” Summer asked with sass.

“Out,” June fired back.

“Where’s out?”

June barged past her sister.

“Are you stalking Sol?” Summer questioned.

“No, Summer. I want to run some tests at the gate to the city, I want to feel others' mana.”

“You’re a bad liar,” Summer stated. “Don’t lie to me.”

“Fine, you really want to know?” June asked.

Summer nodded proudly.

“When Sol came back from the horde, his weapon didn’t have a smidge of blood on it. I found that suspicious so I’m going to the Adventurer Guild to look up his profile. There you go, Summer.”

“They won’t even let you in if you dress like a 1980s detective.”

June gasped. “How dare you.”

“How sure are you of this? What are you expecting to find?”

“I don’t know, instances don’t seem to add up. My brain can’t make sense of anything and it keeps bugging me,” June replied honestly.

Summer folded her arms. “I’m coming, and I will be dressing us.”

June rolled her eyes.

The two women stepped out into the street, they were dressed like noblewomen. They wore the most elegant dresses with full faces of makeup and heels to match. Of course, anyone that looked deeper would see that they were prop dresses Summer used for her performances.

“I don’t think this is entirely necessary,” June said as her ankle bent inwards. “I can’t walk in these, Summer.”

“Just walk in a straight line,” Summer said with a devilish smile.

“I’ll get you back for this.”

“Whatever, just follow your big sister's lead.”

They took a hovering train to the adventurer guild. Both of them were amazed at how grand it looked. It was huge, spanning the entire street and there were thousands of adventurers outside. It was made from slabbed stone and stretched five stories high. It looked fairly old for New London but that only increased the grandness of it.

The two sisters headed down the street, garnering many lustful looks by mostly male adventurers. They entered a huge room filled with even more adventurers; the smell of stale ale and body odour was constantly present. They got in line to a desk in the center.

“Follow my lead,” Summer whispered.

They waited until they were called up.

“Hi,” Summer said with a fake smile. “I’m looking to hire an adventurer for a job.”

The man behind the counter didn’t even look up. “Take a form, fill it out and put it into the request box,” he instructed in the most fed up tone ever.

“No, I don’t think you understand. I need a specific one.” Summer said as she pushed up her cleavage slightly.

The man looked up and realigned himself in his seat upon seeing the two beautiful girls in front of him.

“Ladys, my apologies. Follow me please, I can help you in a private room,” The man said getting up. He turned around and yelled out to someone else to take his place.

“Thank you,” Summer said, giving the man a wink.

Butterflies filled his stomach and he walked into a room next to the counter.

“Summer,” June whispered, “Don’t you think it's a bit much.”

“Relax June, guys will do anything for you if you smile at them. They’re simple creatures.”

June was not someone to use her womanhood to gain ahead in life, it was with merit and hard work that she used to reach the point in her life. Whereas Summer was the opposite, she was more aware of herself as a beautiful woman and used it to get anywhere she wanted.

Summer and June walked into the private discussion room and the man closed the door on them. They sat down at one end of a table while the man sat at the others.

“What can I do for you lovely ladies?” The man asked as he straightened his glasses up.

“We’re looking for someone specifically, actually, for a job.” Summer said.

The man nodded, “Ok, his specialisation?”

“We only know of his name,” June said with a scary looking fake smile.

“What is his name then?” The man asked as he pulled out an ipad.

“Solomon Thorn, he’s fairly tall and has dark hair.”

“Solomon Thorn…” The man said as he typed it into the ipad.

He found Sol’s profile and scrolled down, “Well I’ve found him,” He scrolled down further and saw a singular black mark in the corner. He put a finger in his collar and moved it away from the sweat.

“What is it?” June asked.

“He-he’s fully booked up I’m afraid.” The man said, offering a weak smile.

“Let me see the profile,” Summer demanded as she went to grab it from over the table.

The man moved the ipad away hastily. “I’m very sorry ladies, but he is not available for the foreseeable future.”

Summer readjusted her cleavage. “Not even for two lovely ladies?”

He smiled weakly again, “Sorry, you two are lovely women, I’m sure of it, but I cannot allow you. There is a privacy contract in effect.”

Summer stood up. “Fine, we’ll take our coin elsewhere.”

June stood up too. “Thank you for your help anyway,” she said nicely and with courtesy. 

Summer scoffed and grabbed her sister's arm and headed out of the room.

The man sat up and rushed to a second door in the room. He opened it and went into an admin office where he dialed a number. The black mark on Sol’s profile told the man he needed to call a certain number and inform the receiver that the specific person had their profile investigated. He had never been through the procedure before; he was heavily briefed on it by the upper administration.

“Hello, I-I’m calling from the adventurers guild. Someone under the name Solomon Thorn had their profile looked at,” the man said.

The phone hung up. He sat down as he wiped sweat from his brow.

Sol was walking to a teleporter when he received a call from the Unwanted admin.

“Immortal?” a voice said.

“Yep, speaking.”

“Someone has just viewed your profile, we’re putting you under watch for the next week.”

“Who was it?” Sol asked.

“Two women, dressed like nobility.”

“Description?”

“One had red hair with white streaks and the other with jet black hair and glasses. Both attractive.”

“Don’t worry, I know them,” Sol explained calmly as thoughts raced through his mind.

“How well do you know them?” 

“Well enough for me to know they aren’t a threat. Call off the watch,” Sol demanded.

“Under code 451, any-”

“Spare me the bullshit, they aren’t a threat. Take it up with Mercy.”

The voice hesitated for a moment then hung up.

Sol stopped on a street corner to gather his thoughts. His sisters were investigating him and it was probably June’s idea. 

“Ah fuck,” Sol muttered to himseld. “Why would they be?”

Sol went into the mind of June, but he couldn’t think of anything that could have made him suspicious. He covered himself completely in blood, even roughed up his hair and caused cuts in his skin.

He glanced at the time on his phone, he was going to be late. He turned a corner into an old jewelry store and gave a nod to the owner. He walked into the back room, behind a wardrobe, then into a teleporter and was whisked away.


Extra chapters ahead of schedule here: https://www.patreon.com/TheUnwanted
 

Sivios.

21