Trouble Down the Road – Part 06
64 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gathering the heads of the church, the Pope opened the secret library filled with magic and other heathen relics. Among them were the directions for summoning rituals that had been banned sixty years ago. However, The church heard all and had the fastest information center. They knew that many nations were summoning a hero as insurance so if they summoned one, no one would bat an eye.

Setting up the ritual, the Pope placed his hand on the runic circle. Pouring his essence into the circle lightning began to form and thunder clapped through the halls. Like the other summonings, smoke filled the room, and standing in the center of the circle was a tall black man with enough muscle to impress anyone who saw him. As the smoke cleared out they saw that he carried a large hammer but held an air about him that made them all feel at ease.

“Hero! We have summoned you to help us in our time of need. What is your name oh hero of legend?” the Pope asked before getting down on his knee and bowing his head.

“My name is John Henry. A railway steel driver. I’m no hero.” Henry said humbly. Though none of those around believed that he wasn’t a hero. He had been summoned properly so there was no doubt he was considered a hero.

“It is an honor to meet you, John Henry. I am Pope Micheal. You do not need to be so humble as there is no doubt that you are a hero.” the Pope said with an honorable tone as he stood up from bowing.

“If that’s what you believe then so be it. However, I don’t know what you would want me to do for you.” Henry said.

“Just teach us about your world, what you did in your time, and how we can use it in our world. We will not ask you to do anything you do not wish to do. Though we do need knowledge.” the Pope replied with a slightly desperate tone. John thought about this for a moment before nodding his head in agreement.

“Alright then. How much do you know about trains?” Henry asked. All of the Elders looked at each other with confused looks before looking back at Henry.

“What are trains?” the Pope asked with a confused look.

* * *

General Otto Nankan had just returned from Alsenia to his homeland of Swalli. He looked with pride over the capital city of Senra. Because the city was a port town half of the streets were in fact docks and many of the working class lived in homes built on the docks made out of stone, bamboo reeds, and concrete made from the ocean water and crushed stones. The council of Elders, many wealthy merchants, and boat captains lived in lavish wood and bamboo homes on the land. Though due to the changing tides and risk of flooding, many of the homes closer to the docks were built on stilts.

Otto found that the ocean relaxed him a lot so rather than using his position to own a home on the land he lived on the docks. Everyone who lived on the docks knew of him and would usually come to him if there was a problem. They respected and looked up to him unlike the Council of Elders. Many of the working class believe that they were too old to be leading them. Otto agreed but would never say it out loud. Every citizen had the chance to be a member of the council unlike with many of the societies that ran on bloodlines. All they had to do was be the oldest sane person in their region of Swalli. Most Elders only lasted a few years at most though. It was a fair system but he always questioned it.

As he approached the Elders meeting hall he started to feel a bit uneasy. Due to his status, he could walk in whenever he wanted and request an immediate meeting. However, some of the new Elders thought a little too highly of themselves and would sometimes deny his requests without even hearing them. He hoped that it wouldn’t be the case this time.

Thankfully, they were willing to listen as he was led into the meeting room where the Elders were all reclined on layers of pillows and blankets. Bottles of alcohol sat by many of their feet and smoke from their pipes filled the room. The smell of their pipes he knew well. A drug that was illegal for sale in most of the nations including Swalli for its hindering effects. Yet, they smoked it near constantly. Otto never had a taste for it but was not one to care whether anyone else did. However, when the Elders did it made him annoyed as they were the ones who made it illegal.

“We received your report on the situation and your request for troops yesterday, General. We assume that you are here regarding that?” The high Elder asked as Otto entered the room. His face was so wrinkled that when he spoke, the skin that hung down shook as if it were another entity. He was dressed in fine red and brown robes that covered most of his aged body.

“Yes, I request that we summon our own hero to protect Swalli or at the very least allow me and my men to aid Alsenia?” General Otto asked with a bow.

“Why do you wish to help Alsenia so badly?” another Elder dressed in similar robes asked before taking a hit off his pipe.

“They are a strong ally who has a history of helping us in our times of need. Abandoning them would not be in line with the Swalli code of honor. I am also indebted to King Appius so I will have to help them whether I have my men or not.” Otto replied. The Elders looked at one another and nodded.

“I understand. We shall allow for you to take your men and aid Alsenia. However, we will refuse the request to summon a hero. It is far too great of a risk at the moment.” The High Elder said.

“Thank you, Elders.” Otto said before bowing again.

“May Narsa and Elisso guide you towards peace.” the High Elder said. The other Elders repeated the saying in unison as Otto left the meeting room.

Leaving the meeting hall, General Nankan made his way to the barracks. The barracks was a large circular yard surrounded by towering bamboo cement buildings to house up to thirty thousand soldiers. In the yard, men and women were training using wooden poles to act as practice spears. Others were practicing archery and others were jogging through the barracks to build up stamina. As soon as he entered the barracks yard the soldiers stopped what they were doing and stood in salute.

“We have just received permission to aid Alsenia in this war. Those under my ranks, pack your things! We leave at dawn!” General Otto yelled in a commanding tone. Many of the soldiers cheered as they were getting rather bored and began gathering their armaments.

“General Otto, I see that you’ve returned safely and as lively as ever.” A Lieutenant said as he walked up to him. He was a short shirtless man holding a practice spear and rags tied around his bulky forearms.

“And I see that you’ve kept the men busy in my absence, Lieutenant Nallo.” Otto replied.

“Yes, many of them had their complaints but with the only attacks being from pirates they haven’t had much to do. The Navy has been keeping us out of their way.” Nallo replied.

“That’s understandable. Was my weapon repaired while I was gone?” Otto asked to change the subject.

“Yes, your weapon is in your office. The Blacksmith brought it yesterday. All the chipping has been repaired and a new finish has been applied to the handle.” Nallo replied.

“Thank you. You should see to your unit's progress. We don’t have a lot of time to pack.” Otto said before heading to his office.

As Otto entered his office he saw his weapon setting on a stand in the middle of his desk. It was a rather plain office with the Swalli code of honor and ethics hanging on his wall, and cot-like bed in the corner, and his desk which held his General wax seal and now his weapon. He hated being in this office but he had to use it due to his position.

Looking over the weapon itself, Otto admired the slightly curved steel falx-like blade on the end. Along the six-foot shaft of the sickle was a fine maple-like polish and decorating the end was the sharpened bone of a sea monster that his father had slain. Sea monster bones were as sharp as any metal forged at the time. However, there were so few of its bones left in Swalli as many of them were lost between battles. Tightly wrapping both ends of the wooden shaft was a metal string that held the bone and blade in place as well as provided more strength to the shaft.

Picking up the weapon, he caressed the smooth finish with an unexplainable joy. Despite the layer of polish, he could feel the imprints left by his hands in the wood after years of constant use. To test the sharpness of the blade, Otto threw an empty scroll into the air and with a precise slice cut the scroll in half before it hit the ground. As for the sharpness of the bones, he didn’t bother testing it since he knew that in forty years it had never dulled or chipped even once.

Once he was satisfied by playing around with it he reached under his desk and pulled out his bag that was already prepared for him to head out to battle. The only thing it lacked was rations so he left for the kitchen to get some. Most Swalli military rations consisted of fried, pickled, or dried fish and a bag of preseasoned rice. He wasn’t a big fan of the dried fish so he scavenged a bit for pickled and fried fish.

After packing, Otto gathered all of his things to be loaded onto his Norhs the next morning. Then, he went to sleep in his office despite it being early afternoon. The trip had somewhat worn him out and now he felt like getting some rest before he headed out again. Even so, it was difficult since everyone else outside was loud and busy.

3