Trouble Down the Road – Part 07
65 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Emperor Nehkasha kept giving me this tired look as he tried desperately to figure out what I was on about. Instead of hearing me out, Nehkasha looked around to see if anyone else was awake and walking around the city. Not seeing anyone at all, he told me to go to sleep and tell him about it in the morning. Since I was fairly tired and running entirely off of a sleep deprivation high I did as he requested.

Going to the house that I was basically given the last time I was here, I found that my home had been invaded by Rahbatna. The little fluffy creatures had pilled up on top of a bed which I assume also held Sasha and Lucia underneath the white fluff. As I got closer I saw both Sasha and Lucia’s heads sticking out from under the Rahbatna and still breathing. For some reason, I was afraid that they were going to be suffocated but I guess they aren’t dumb enough to do that. Though they both looked quite cute with all those creatures around them.

Since they were both asleep I laid down on my bed and tried to go to sleep. Though as soon as I laid down, some of the Rahbatna scurried off of Sasha and Lucia as if they were an army of ants and onto myself. I wanted to punt them off out of annoyance but they were warm and soft so I didn’t mind all too much. All I could do was drift off to sleep after that.

When I awoke I saw that neither Sasha nor Lucia were still in bed and there were no more Rahbatna on me. In fact, I didn’t see a single one of those fluffy fuckers. Guess they left with Sasha and Lucia. Though now I was cold as my quilted blanket didn’t help to battle the cold underground air. Getting up, I clothed myself and went outside to see not sunlight but the glow of torches and magic stones outside.

I figured that since there was no one around that they would be above ground working on the fields above. Walking up them took a little more time than I would have wished though I did find Sasha working in the field along with many of the Imperial people. It wasn’t a problem but couldn’t find Nehkasha so I went down the levels to see if I could find him. I wasn’t surprised to find him sitting in the library though I was surprised to see him looking through a book on magic.

“Emperor Nekasha, I was hoping to talk to you about what I found last night.” I said as I approached him. He set down his book to listen to what I had to say.

“Yes, you spoke about being able to return the Empire to its original form early this morning. What have you found?” Emperor Nehkasha asked.

“I have found a spell that can bring the Imperial capital to its former glory but it does require some set-up.” I stated.

“I do not care about that though I would like to know if this spell can keep my people safe?” Nehkasha asked.

“Not only can it keep your people safe but it can also prevent others from attempting to wage war upon this area.” I stated clearly.

“Is the spell safe to use?” Emperor Nehkasha asked with a concerned look.

“Of course.” I replied.

“Alright, but I want you to explain it in detail so that I can understand what you’re about to do.” Nehkasha said sternly.

I showed him the book that I had found. A story that held the secrets to this labyrinth and the ability to return the Empire to its former glory. In it was a spell that would call upon the old masters of this city and use them to summon the city to that of a tower of power in the eyes of man.

“If you know how to activate this spell then I will not stop you but I have no desire to join in this war.” Nehkasha said after I showed him what I had found.

“I understand. Then I shall do what I can to thank you and help this nation.” I said.

“I don’t see why you would want to help us?” Nehkasha said with a confused look.

“Because you helped me when I had nothing. I could care less about my nation at this point.” I replied.

“Then I thank you.” Nehkasha said with a humble bow.

“And I thank you as well. I said with a similar bow before running as fast as I can up to the top of the city.

By the time I had arrived at the surface, the sun was in the dead heat hours and many of the farmers were taking a break. Approaching Sasha and Lucia after they had a hard day's work in the field, I was greeted with scowls. The two ignored me as I had been asleep most of the day and spent the rest of the day traveling between the library and the surface. Though whether they ignored me or not didn’t matter. They needed to hear what I had to say.

“Don't ignore me. I was up all night trying to figure out how to help you and this city, Lucia. As for Sasha, I’m sorry that you had to help with the farming but it does help the Empire a lot.” I said somewhat apologetically.

“I understand. We figured you were doing something like that but it was rather annoying for Sasha when you didn’t come back till early this morning.” Lucia said with a sigh. As she said this, Sasha looked like she was blushing but it was hard to tell since she had some sunburn on her face.

“I’m sorry about that. Though I could use your help with something. Though I would also like Marcus to help us with this.” I said in a tone that sounded a bit like I was begging.

“What did you want me for?” A familiar voice that I had not heard since I had come back here. Turning around, I saw Marcus standing with several traps in hand.

“I was hoping you could give us a lift through the swamp? Though it’s good to see you, Marcus.” I said before giving him a hug with my one arm. It was awkward but that didn’t matter.

“I don’t mind. I was just about to head out and set some traps. Where did you want to go?” Marcus asked with a carefree smile.

“Do you happen to know if there are any pillars at the edge of the swamp? If so then could you take us there?” I asked.

“There are a few pillars that I know of. Though why do you want to go there?” Marcus asked.

“I believe that there are some runic crests there that can be used to bring the city out of the swamp.” I replied.

“Why would you want to do that? You do realize that Alsenia will have your head for doing something like that.” Marcus asked with a worried look.

“I don’t think that would be a problem.” I said as I gestured at Lucia. Marcus looked at her and after a few seconds the realization of who Lucia was hit him hard. Wrapping his arm around my head he pulled me aside.

“Why the hell is the first Princess of Alsenia here of all places and why is she working in the fields of all places?” Marcus asked in a frantic but hushed tone.

“She sort of tracked me down and asked me to help her. Apparently, I started a war without knowing it and Alsenia is being threatened on all sides at this point. In fact, Alsenia’s already been overtaken if that Priest actually knows what he is talking about.” I said.

“What! I don’t care about any Priest but what do you mean that Alsenia was overtaken. Also, it still doesn’t answer why she is out here working.” Marcus said.

“I don't know why she was working in the fields. Though I do know that she wanted my help for some reason.” I said.

“Alright, though you better not get me or anyone else here involved.” Marcus said with a sigh.

“I don't think I’ll have to.” I stated honestly.

“Good. Now, let’s go. It will take a while to get there and I expect that you’ll help me set up these traps.” Marcus said.

“I don’t think it will be a good idea to set those traps till after I activate the runes.” I said.

“If you say so.” Marcus said before heading towards the gondola-like boat.

I followed him to the dock along with Lucia and Sasha who were a bit tired from their work. Though they ended up napping in the boat as we made our way to the pillars. Marcus wasn’t too happy about them coming along but he didn’t openly complain. That said, he did seem to get annoyed when we would almost run aground due to the weight we added.

3