SS 1 – Devotion (2)
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ever since his fateful meeting, Miles could not be seen on the streets. He stayed at home studying about powers and ways to improve them. Many techniques and tactics were available for those that wished to get stronger during that time of constant conflict. However, Miles couldn’t make use of them.

He was frustrated but not willing to give up. He’d find another path to take or simply make his own.

By the time he was 14, he had yet to make any progress, despair lurking in the back of his mind. After many months of sleepless nights and failed studies, he had yet to progress.

If the man were to look for him only to find nothing of use, how would he feel? Would he feel betrayed, the trust he put into Miles had gone to waste. He had to avoid that.

Feeling hopeless and with the constant reminders from his parents to go outside and never come back, he decided to get some fresh air.

Walking along the busy streets with no one to spare a glance. A truly meaningless existence, perhaps going outside was a mistake, he thought.

Regardless, the deed was done. He decided to make his way to the nearby library. Maybe he could find some ancient texts? He laughed at the thought. If his luck was that great, he wouldn’t have such a trashy power in the first place.

Upon entering the mostly empty building, he was greeted by an elderly man. The man wasn’t very tall yet he possessed an imposing aura.

“Welcome young man, how may I help you?”[Elderly man]

“Why is the place so empty?”[Miles] Asked reluctantly.

“Ah… you see, no one visits the library anymore. After all, studies are often frowned upon nowadays.”[Elderly man]

“Nowadays? Sir, could it be it wasn’t always the case?”[Miles]

The old man looked around a bit to confirm no one was near. A pointless worry that only made him sigh at the emptiness he saw.

“Those were better times for scholars, this Island used to be a part of the mainland you know?”[Elderly man]

“Mainland? Wait… I never heard of a mainland before?”[Miles]

“Oh… They might not teach that anymore…”[Elderly man] He grumbled while rubbing his chin.

Although he now found out a mainland existed, he was far more interested in learning about how scholars were treated in the past.

“Could you please teach me more about the past then Sir?”[Miles]

“You are interested? That’s a bit of a surprise… lets see… I guess I’ll close the library for now…”[Elderly man]

The old man left his spot behind the desk to lock the library doors.

“WAIT!!!”[???]

It was the voice of a young girl, she was likely only 13. She was running towards the library entrance.

“Don’t close it yet!”[Girl]

“Oh! Mira! Forgive me! You were later than usual so I thought you wouldn’t come”[Elderly man]

“No, it’s my fault, I got held up on the way”[Mira]

Miles stole a glance towards the entrance to try and get a peek at the young girl. Although she seemed tired from the running, she had a beautiful face and smooth skin, not the type of person you’d expect to see in this empty and dusty library.

Mira noticed Miles as she headed inside.

“Who are you?”[Mira] She had a genuinely curious expression as she leaned closer towards him.

Miles couldn’t help but think she looked cute. He didn’t say anything for a couple of seconds before regaining his composure.

“Oh right! Sorry! My name is Miles, nice to meet you”[Miles]

“Mira”[Mira] She replied while extending her hand out for a handshake.

Miles grabbed her hand while confused, no one had ever been this nice to him. After shaking hands he seemed a bit lost.

“Are you ok? You seem to be lost in thought.”[Mira]

“Ah! Yes! Sorry!”[Miles]

“You apologize too much! Well, whatever.” She turned her attention to the old man,”Mr. Theo! Did you prepare my books?”[Mira]

“Of course! you are my only company these days, how could I not?”[Theo] He replied cheerfully with a benign smile.

Theo made his way behind the desk and pulled out some books on the human body.

“Here you go young lady”[Theo]

Miles was simply observing and noticed the topic of a particular book Theo was handing to Mira.

“Is that a book on the muscles and tendons?”[Miles]

“… yes?”[Mira]

Mira seemed a bit hesitant to talk about it. However, she had misjudged Miles.

“That’s great! I’ve read a couple of books on the subject!”[Miles]

“Really! How about you help me understand it then!”[Mira] She replied cheerfully as if she had just come up with a great idea.

“Do… do you really want me to help?”[Miles]

“Of course! Quick let’s go sit over there!”[Mira] She grabbed the book from Theo and hurriedly made her way to a table.

“AH! Wa-wait! I didn’t say yes…”[Miles]

Mira turned around upon hearing this, she seemed confused.

“Were you going to say no?”[Mira] She tilted her head as she asked with a serious expression.

“...well, no but…”[Miles]

“Perfect! Let’s go!”[Mira] She ran back and grabbed Miles’ hand this time.

She once more made her way to the table with Miles in tow.

Since his meeting with Mira, Miles could be seen making his way to the library on an almost daily basis. They would study different topics together and help each other out. It was Miles’ first friend.

On a particular day, they were both reading together as usual while Theo looked over them.

“You know, I don’t think you ever told me why you are studying these things”[Miles]

“Is it weird?”[Mira]

“...no but…”[Miles]

“Come on Miles! You need to speak up! Fine I’ll tell you!”[Mira] 

‘Why did it seem like you didn’t want to tell me yet you immediately agreed to do so -_-”

Mira put her book down and smiled.

“Guess my power!”[Mira]

“Your power?”[Miles]

“Yes! Come on! Take a guess!”[Mira] 

“Ummm… Strength? maybe…”[Miles]

“Close enough! It is boost!”[Mira] She cheerfully replied.

“I don’t think I’ve heard of that one…”[Miles]

“Oh! Well it is a physical type power! It can be used to enhance parts of the body. As such! It is important that I study up on the different parts of the body!”[Mira] She seemed a bit proud about her revelation.

“Ah! How fun! I wish I had a power like that!”[Miles]

Miles would love to have a power that required him to study to improve.

“What is yours anyway? You always seem to avoid the topic?”[Mira] She immediately made a curious expression.

“Mine… well… here”[Miles]

(“Hello! This is my power! Transmission. Or so I like to call it”)[Miles]

“How cool! Like that you don’t need to pay for cellular service!”[Mira]

“...It’s not like anyone would call me anyways…”[Miles] He said in a low voice.

“I know! You always mentioned creating something to improve your combat ability! How about we use both of our powers for that!”[Mira]

“You… do you think that’s possible?”[Miles] He Shyly asked.

“Of course! Let’s get right to it! Even Mr. Theo will help!”[Mira]

“HAHAHA! Of course I’ll help out however I can!”[Theo] He let out a hearty laugh followed by a gentle smile.

“Ah! This is great! I’ll- I’ll be back! Just wait! I’ll get my equipment from my house!”[Miles]

Miles smiled brightly while holding back tears of happiness. He quickly made his way out of the library while never ceasing to smile.

Sorry for the delay. Anyways, this side story will be concluded in 3 more chapters. The next chapter will include more details in regards to the state of the island and the changes it will undergo to get to its present state. The 3 chapters isn't definitive but it is at the very least the goal.

I din't do the main story since I couldn't come up with anything for the moment. I ended up writing things just to erase them again quite a few times. Any guesses on who Miles and Mira are?

0