Chapter 8 – This World I Love
1.8k 4 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An advantage of being the grand duke’s daughter was that I was the target of many bribes. A large portion of my jewels and collection of pretty ornaments were gifts from desperate nobles, eager to please me and in turn, Father. 

I generously accepted their offerings and helped out with their favours, thus indebting them and encouraging others to become my allies. Among the presents, my favourites were always the objects touched with magic. 

Perhaps it had something to do with the bland world I lived in before, but magic absolutely fascinated and delighted me. They weren’t anything huge, just little trinkets like a necklace with a pendant that seemed to contain a fragment of the nights sky, a jewellery box that only opened to my touch, or a magic mirror that captured memories. 

There were also simpler, everyday pleasantries. I had the fortune of seeing a dragon fly overhead a few times, and our piano had the ability to inspire or soothe. Many of my dresses were sewn with spells that made them glimmer in just the right way, and our roses, grown under enchantment, had the most wonderful yet unearthly fragrance that perfectly fit a villainess. 

This particular afternoon, I was embroidering a handkerchief in my favourite sitting room when Father came in, holding a wrapped box and wearing a bright smile. 

“My sweet Valentina, do you want to know what’s in the box?”

“What is it?”

I laid down my work and got up to meet him. He lifted the box above his head and chuckled as I tried to grab it, jumping. Finally, I pouted and collapsed back onto the couch. Father laughed and sat down beside me. 

“Go on, open it. Marquis Tennesley just sent it, and I think you’ll like it very much.”

Father handed me the box and I unwrapped it eagerly. The final object was a small and ornate music box, masterfully carved. I admired its exterior before opening it, and gasped. 

“Father! Oh, thank you!”

It contained a tiny but stunning statue of a figure that bore a perfect resemblance to me, or at least how I imagined I would look in a few years. She wore a brilliant red dress and danced with grace and a flawless fluidity that only an enchantment could produce as music played. 

There were four partners, one on each side of the box, one with black hair, one with brown, one with blonde, and one with silver. They all waited and danced in turn with the girl, and though their features were not defined enough for their identities to be clear and it was likely the artisan had meant nothing, this delighted me immensely. It was like a sign from God that the male leads would all be mine. 

Father smiled and kissed my forehead. 

“If it would please you this much, I would pick the sun and moon for you.”

These words brought a pause to my pleasure and a slight pain to my heart. 

“Thank you, Father. Thank you so much, but I won’t ask for the sun or the moon.”

This man had done nothing to deserve a painful death after losing all he loved, and it was my duty to ensure that wouldn’t happen. Our family would not fall, not under my watch. 

At my sudden change of composure, Father looked concerned. He quickly changed the subject. 

“It looks like I’ll have to thank Marquis Tennesley the next time I see him. He’s only bright when it comes to things like this.”

I piped up. The marquis’s daughter was Annalise, one of my best friends and a devout follower of mine in the novel. Both father and daughter weren’t too intelligent, but excellent at socializing and loyal to death, literally. 

“He’s a good person. We can trust him.”Father seemed merely amused at my advice, though he nodded. We chatted some more about the affairs of court and which nobles were in our good graces, before he left for work. 

I listened and watched the music box the rest of the afternoon, because entertainment was unfortunately a bit lacking in this world. Besides, the song it played was the most charming and mesmerizing tune I had ever heard. Immediately, I had the desire to learn how to play it. 

Among my collection, there was a quill that could write down anything it heard. I had no idea if that applied to music, but I tried anyways. Magic proved to be indeed wonderful and I soon had the song in music sheets. 

After dinner, I giddily headed to our grand piano, and began practicing. 

In my past life, I started playing piano when I was four, like most other little girls my age. I did like it, at the beginning, until the only purpose became to achieve certifications and the music could no longer bring me pleasure. I quit when I was fourteen, after I passed the level my parents deemed enough, and I barely touched it again before I died. It had turned into something I resented. 

In this life, Mother and my governess started teaching me piano as soon as I could sit on the stool without falling off. Mother was known for being brilliant at music and I inherited her talent. It was odd, to be able to enjoy it without worry, to be complimented freely and to be forgiven even if I mess up. It was the most delightful feeling in the world. 

My fingers danced on the keys. An image came to me, a beautiful scene. I danced ever so gracefully with the male leads, who had eyes for me, only for me. They loved me. Everyone loved me. 

I flinched as I missed a key and made a horrible sound, expecting a sharp reprimand from my old mom or a disapproving remark from my old dad, but none came. Instead, Mother waltzed into the room, Father and Damian behind her. 

“Darling, that was lovely!”

“You’ve inherited your mother’s talent. I’m so proud of you!”

“Val, you’re amazing!”

Suddenly, tears came to my eyes and streamed down my face before I could stop them. My family rushed to my side, asking me what was wrong. I smiled and hugged them.

“Nothing. I love you so much.”

56