Chapter 9 – Tea Party with My Sidekicks
1.7k 1 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The most important thing in the aristocratic world was likely connections. As the daughter of the only Grand Duke in our kingdom, my favour was much sought-after. The nobles with children my age especially tried to make their kids my friends, and I welcomed the popularity that I so sorely lacked in my past life. 

Social events, then, were crucial, even between children. That was why I was hosting a tea party, other than the fact that I enjoyed the sweets the cook made. It was a valuable time to strengthen alliances and increase my influence on high society. 

“Hello! Welcome!” 

“Good afternoon!”

“Good day. How was your trip here?”

“Greetings!”

As the host, I greeted my guests with bright smiles and false pleasantries. They ate it all up, complimenting me on my new jewels and dress, and how glad they were to be here. 

I knew that most of them would abandon me as soon as my family lost power, so it was no use keeping too many of those around. However, a large affair was still necessary to showcase our status, and I liked the attention. Besides, even those that weren’t truly loyal could be useful, since I intended for our house never to fall. 

“Lady Annalise, Lady Delilah! It’s so nice to see you.”

Strangely, my sidekicks as a villainess from the novel were my best friends. Funny how fate worked sometimes. 

“Lady Valentina! I’ve missed you!”

“How are you, Lady Valentina?”

“I’m well, thank you, Lady Delilah. Why don’t we go sit down?”

In our kingdom, there was one grand duchy and four duchies, ruled by the grand duke and the other dukes. There were also several marches around the border, with marquesses. Then, there were a number of counties and viscounties ruled by counts and viscounts, and some more baronies ruled by barons. They were all vassals to the royal family and the king, but that didn’t stop them from forming factions. It wasn’t so obvious yet, but by the time the novel started, the royal family would begin to have conflicts with our family, because we were getting too powerful. 

Now, though, I just had to focus on my friends. 

“Lady Valentina, I embroidered this handkerchief for you!”

“It’s beautiful! Thank you, Lady Annalise.”

Lady Annalise Tennesley was the daughter of a marquis. Her family was truly loyal to Father, and she to me. I liked her, because though she wasn’t too bright, I knew she would follow me to hell and back. She never sold me out at the end of the novel. 

As an antagonistic character, she wasn’t too pretty. But she was decent looking with her orange hair and bright brown eyes, and a noble lady’s poise. I saw that her embroidery was extremely pretty as she handed the handkerchief to me. It was a rose-shaped emblem, the crest of House Avington. 

“This tea is delicious, Lady Valentina.”

“Thank you, Lady Delilah. Father had it imported from the east.”

Lady Delilah Finley was the daughter of a duchess. Both men and women could inherit titles in this world, so Delilah, as the eldest child, was the successor to House Finley and would one day inherit the title from her mother, who ruled in her own right, while Delilah’s father had the title of Duke Consort. 

She was very intelligent and worked hard, as the heir. However, she would betray me when our house lost all our power. It chilled me a little, because I always thought of her as a true friend and confidante. I wanted to keep her closer, and surely she wouldn’t be driven to such lengths in this life. She was pretty but not eye-catching in a refined kind of way, with dark brown hair and inky green eyes. 

“Say, how incompetent do knights have to be for a lady to be killed by demons?”

The words sounded loud and clear, and all conversation abruptly trailed off. It came from a girl that I didn’t recognize, like the daughter of a lower-ranked noble. Obviously, she was speaking of Delilah’s little sister, and though she was a mere child, she clearly was less educated than the rest of us. 

“How impudent!” I exclaimed. 

I gripped the handle of my teacup, but stopped myself before I could hurl it at her. That was what the villainess would do, and I had to pay attention to my reputation if I was going to change the novel. I disliked that my status couldn’t allow me to do whatever I wanted anymore now that I knew the consequences. 

“And what family may you be from?” 

Lady Delilah sipped her tea and asked calmly. The girl flushed. 

“I’m the daughter of Viscount Munoz.”

“You should be more careful what you say. The viscount’s business isn’t doing well, and surely his daughter doesn’t want to make him powerful enemies.”

It was like the room let out a collective breath. Delilah had decided to be mature and let her off with a simple threat. Truly, she was elegant. 

The viscount’s daughter nodded and muttered an apology. Soon, she excused herself, perhaps realizing that she was no longer welcome. 

That had me thinking. This time, it was only a little girl’s insensitive comment. If a villainess had openly tormented the saint, no status would’ve been able to protect her. I thanked god that I regained my memories. 

Another idea came to me. Many sympathetic looks were being directed at Delilah, and the viscount’s daughter had already earned a status as an outcast. If I could somehow villainize the saint, or victimize myself, it could be beneficial. 

“Honestly though, that dress she was wearing was a crime in itself,” Annalise whispered. 

I laughed. “I know, right? That’s exactly what I was thinking!”

Even Delilah smiled a little. After all, right now, we were just children, no matter how mature. 

That was right, I could worry about the novel later. I so desperately wanted friends in my past life, so I was going to cherish every moment. Something in me was finally whole, and I was immensely happy, just to be there. 

It felt so nice, to be with them, to not be alone, to have people on my side. 

59