Chapter 39 – The Female Lead’s Stepmother
755 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was concerningly easy to stalk a baroness. 

Baron Bryant presented his house as fairly neutral at the moment, while keeping a low profile. His wife, grudgingly, did the same. She associated with a small group of ladies that were friends to their house, none very important. 

The baroness complained frequently of how her husband wouldn’t let her dress lavishly and insisted on being inconspicuous, though she loved him wholeheartedly. She looked down on everyone of a lower status than her, sometimes including her so-called friends, while kissing up to those above. Her life’s dream was to be the center of attention in high society. 

“Good work, Zoe.”

“Thank you, my lady.”

Like most nobles and myself, Baroness Bryant didn’t pay attention to maids, and didn’t even notice when Zoe served her and her friends tea instead of the usual girl, who ‘conveniently’ twisted her ankle. Zoe was scarily good at this, with a report more detailed than anything I’d ever hope to write, identifying a pattern that calculated the baroness’s schedule down to the minute. I wished I could clone her and send one to spy on the female lead when the time came. 

“The gift is ready?”

“Yes, my lady. The jeweller sent it over earlier.”

“Then we strike tomorrow.”

I went to find Mother and told her the details of my plan. She agreed with mild surprise, and the next afternoon we strolled down a particular hallway in the castle, just in time to meet a certain baroness, who was alone and going from her room to tea with her friends. 

As the female lead’s stepmother, she was fairly attractive, making the best of her features. She had blonde hair and blue eyes, like the daughter she would later give birth to. But as a side character, she couldn’t outshine the main leads, and so she was almost plain compared to those I knew, like myself. 

She dressed simply with little accessories, as expected. To a trained eye as my own, it was obvious from the way she carried herself that she was of common birth, despite her efforts. The female lead would likely be the same, so no wonder she would be noticeable to the male leads. 

“Why, aren’t you Baroness Bryant?”

I spoke first, because people were naturally more trusting of children, and to delight her that even kids knew who she was. Her eyes widened, because everyone knew who we were, and her posture instantly shifted in an attempt to be more graceful, though not too successfully. 

“I am, indeed. Good afternoon, Your Grace, Lady Valentina.”

“And a fine afternoon it is, Lady Bryant. Mother, I’ve always heard that Lady Bryant is an extremely elegant lady, and it seems those rumours are quite true.”

Elegance was the one thing she absolutely craved, but could never match the level of us who were raised with it as children. Presently, Mother and I, who were known as the definition of elegance, were complimenting her. And to top it off, there were good rumours about her!

People, especially those with large egos, heard what they wanted to hear, sometimes ignoring how impossible it was and willingly basking in sweet lies. The baroness blushed and smiled. She might’ve thanked me or she might’ve not, but Mother replied to me before she could. 

“It does! I’ve long wanted to become dear friends with Lady Bryant, but she kept declining my invitations. It’s made me rather sad.”

Mother turned slightly, like the heroine of a tragedy. It was a bit overdramatic, and Mother enjoyed it a tad too much, but it worked like a charm. 

“My deepest apologies! My health is frail, so my husband doesn’t permit me to go out often.”

She was the picture of good health. My eyes shone with concealed laughter as Mother broke through this lame excuse. 

“It’s very fortunate, then, that you’re strong enough to be taking a walk today. Surely, you must come to our tea party with us!”

“Oh, I’m not sure…”

I could see her internal struggle. All she needed was a gentle push over the edge for this woman to betray her husband, or, in nicer terms, chase her dreams. I gave exactly that. 

“Please, Lady Bryant! Your husband won’t possibly mind, and he won’t even have to find out. There will be so many friends there dying to make your acquaintance that will be so disappointed if you don’t come.”

“... I suppose I'll oblige.”

“That’s fantastic!”

The baroness had fallen from the edge, right into our trap, and little did she know it, she wasn’t getting out. It was an excellent summary of her personality that she wasted no time nor deliberation ditching her usual company, succumbing to our coercion. 

On our way to the sitting room, we charmed her ceaselessly, until I was disgusted with myself. The art of flattery was new to me, taught only recently by Mother, and I hated every moment of it for it was a grave insult to my pride. When I became queen, I would rip Lady Bryant’s ungrateful ears off. 

“Everyone, this is Baroness Bryant. She will be joining us for tea today.”

Mother had prepared a lovely affair, nothing too grand to embarrass ourselves in front of a large audience, but still more stately than anything the baroness would be used to. The guests were popular, each of them a small pillar in high society, and they read Mother’s meaning perfectly. 

“Good afternoon, Lady Bryant!”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Please, sit, and help yourself.”

Lady Bryant gushed and sat down. She didn’t seem to believe it was happening, her mouth hanging open in a wide smile. 

“Thank you very much, I’m deeply honoured to be invited today. You are too kind.”

And it began, the reverse adulation. We’d lured her here to the stage she so wanted to perform on, and she did. Her compliments didn’t have the eloquence of a proper noble lady, though she tried her hardest and complimented everything in sight, from the furniture to the food. 

“This chair is so exceedingly soft!”

“The view from this window is just marvellous. It matches the tea.”

“Your necklace is very pretty. I think I have a similar one.”

I knew the necklace in question was one of a kind, but no one kindly pointed that out. Everyone present knew exactly what kind of person the baroness was, desperately trying to climb the social ladder. We were all used to it, and knew how to deal with people like this, and I could tell the guests were wondering why Mother was keeping her around. 

The baroness’s sole redeeming quality was her comedic relief, and it was clear that she was too focused on how to best kiss up to people than how to display her real talents. Despite the momentary joy the praises brought, it got tiring eventually, and we didn’t keep anyone around that had no deeper value. Mother decided to help her with that.

“I heard you speak many languages, Lady Bryant?”

“Not that many, just seventeen.”

She was trying to brush it off, because it was something she learned as a commoner. That was the issue, she couldn’t see her own true worth. Mother tread carefully to make sure she understood her past didn’t outweigh her abilities. 

“It’s impressive, actually. That must be all the languages on the continent.”

“Well, it’s actually that and a few dead ones.”

“Where did you learn them?”

It was another noble lady this time. Good, they were beginning to take real interest. 

“I travelled frequently with my father when I was young. I found the best way to learn was just to talk with the locals, which I did a lot.”

“What about the dead languages?”

A different lady posed this question. The baroness grew more comfortable and confident as she attracted more attention. 

“Travelling didn’t let me make friends normally, so I read books, which also helped me learn the languages. When I realized I’d learned all the ones used, I missed the feeling, so I started studying the dead languages. It was very fascinating.”

“Do you know the holy language, too? And the magic languages? Even though they’re said to be extremely difficult?”

“The holy language was the first one I learned after the spoken ones, and I’ve mastered the most common magic languages. They’re basically useless since I don’t have mana, but it’s useful to fix minor issues in magical items and appliances. I like it very much.”

For the first time, her smile seemed to be genuine. That was the power of Mother and her friends, they knew how to make you feel good about yourself. 

“Ah, I could only wish someone with skills like yours could tutor me…”

I glanced down wistfully, effortlessly capturing the attention of everyone in the room and immediately rousing comments. 

“Lady Bryant absolutely should!”

“You can’t let your gift go to waste, Lady Bryant.”

“I can’t think of a better arrangement!”

Lady Bryant flushed. I hid my smile and topped it off. 

“Oh, please don’t pressure the baroness. I wouldn’t want to be an inconvenience.”

This, of course, resulted in more protests. 

“Nonsense! I’ve never seen a sweeter child than you, Lady Valentina.”

“I know one of your tutors, and she says you’re an absolute genius.”

“You’re the heir to House Avington, it would be for the good of our kingdom.”

“It’s up to the baroness, I suppose, but I really think it would be for the best.”

Every pair of eyes were on the baroness. She gasped, the functioning part of her brain frozen, but the social tension forced her to make a decision fast. I could barely stop from smiling. 

“I’ll do it! It’ll be a great honour to tutor you, Lady Valentina.”

“That’s wonderful! Thank you so much!”

That deal was finally settled. Now, we had to seal it. 

We let the topics stray for a while, before Mother produced a small box. A gift designed for a special someone that didn’t know it yet.

“As you know, our family came into a diamond mine recently. The mining company sent us some samples.”

She opened the box, and the room gasped. It was a pair of earrings made of sparkling diamonds, exquisite but not flashy. Everyone other than the baroness likely recognized it as the work of one of the finest jewellers in the kingdom, but no one mentioned it. 

Lady Bryant couldn't take her eyes off of it as the ladies piled on compliments. It was exactly to her taste, small enough that her husband wouldn't mind, but with a sense of real luxury she couldn't have.

"I think they would suit Lady Bryant!”

My innocent comment was hint enough to bring about a round of agreement. Lady Bryant's cheeks reddened, but she couldn't resist the temptation.

"Why don't you try them on?”

"Yes, thank you, that would be lovely.”

Her hands trembled as she took the jewels from Mother and delicately clipped them onto her ears. It fit right in, a casual ornament that brought a touch of sophistication, perfect just for her. 

“It’s beautiful!”

“My, they match you so well.”

“They bring out your eyes, Lady Bryant.”

The baroness couldn’t stop smiling as she thanked the ladies. When Mother spoke, she looked almost afraid that she would ask them back. Her expression relaxed and shifted into a nervous but giddy grin when she heard her words. 

“Lady Bryant, you look so splendid that I must insist you keep them.”

“Oh, no, I can’t accept something so generous.”

“Please, it shall be a symbol of our enduring friendship.”

“I suppose I’ll have to accept, then.”

If the baroness was trying to look reluctant, she failed terribly. She had the eyes of a crazed new addict, and from this moment on I knew she wouldn’t be able to stop thinking about this life she had a glimpse of today. 

Popularity was a drug, I learned that the hard way in high school. And to the baroness, we were the only ones offering it to her. Combine that with her already existing ambitions, she wouldn’t be able to stop coming back to us. 

I would treat her well, for as long as she was useful. She would become another loyal pet, and with her help, I could make the female lead’s life miserable.

22