Chapter 42 – A Blessed Saint (III)
632 1 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After I was rudely woken up by an apprentice priest telling me it was time, I found it curious that a room in the supposedly frugal temple was as comfortable as what I was used to in the castle. Though the furniture was carefully chosen as not to appear luxurious, they were of extremely high quality and must’ve been expensive. So this was where all that donation went. 

My point was further proved with a delicious breakfast, but I didn’t have time to ponder it. It was before the crack of the dawn, but there wasn’t a moment to lose in preparations. Repentance Day was upon us. 

I wore a black dress for this occasion, as did everyone that attended. It represented sin, and tonight, when people returned home, they were to burn the garment. Most people didn’t, and I didn’t plan to either, given how pretty mine was. Nowadays, that tradition was mainly replaced with washing the clothes instead. 

Morning prayers finished without delay, and it was time for the main act. 

“As children of God, he forgives us for our sins, as long as we repent. On this holy day, we shall confess our evils, and God shall give us a new chance to serve him purely. No matter how grave a crime, with repentance, God forgives all. Confess, my brothers and sisters, and live anew.”

A different high priest officiated today, and they seemed to be taking turns. This one was more dramatic than the last, but also effective, because as soon as he finished his prayers, lines began to form. 

At least today, it wasn’t all about me, which would normally be something for me to be disappointed about, except this was work, which I would gladly share. Still, the attention I got yesterday was one of the only great things, so it wasn’t pleasant having that taken away as well. 

Nevertheless, though the people were more spread out, the workload was the same, since the world would never run out of guilty hypocrites. Some truly devoted followers came to me specifically, so perhaps they believed the saint could pray better. I met less people I knew, for they likely avoided me on purpose. The confessions were supposed to be private, but God knew I liked using all the dirt I had. 

My first confessor was my nemesis. God had humour, it seemed, or he didn’t mind if I threw his bowl of water. 

“What sins have you committed, Princess?”

“That I couldn’t help the temple see how shallow you are and let someone like be named saint.”

“That’s a grave sin, indeed.”

I dipped two fingers into the bowl of water on the altar and jabbed her in the forehead, making sure to let the water trickle down her face. It was a very nice blessing, on my part. 

“I shall pray God forgives you for the crime of being born.”

“And I shall pray he doesn’t strike us all because of you.”

She left with a scowl, and my mood improved. That went away fast, though, because she soon became the most interesting part of my day. I stared blankly as people came to tell me their sins and I blessed them, occasionally nodding at the more odd ones. 

“Please let God forgive me for cheating on my wife.”

“I am very sorry for using my child’s school funds to buy horses.”

“I’m drinking, but I can’t help it. Please, God, forgive me, and make me stop.”

They ranged from mildly disturbing to depressing. No one important told me anything high society didn’t know already, and no one admitted to anything illegal, because they had the common sense to know that the law didn’t forgive with just repentance, even if God did. 

Most generically, people offered me a textbook confession, taught in schools.

“I humbly ask God for his grace in forgiveness for all my sins.”

I gave a classic reply after blessing them with the water. I couldn’t feel them anymore because my fingers were numb from the cold water. 

“I shall pray for your forgiveness, and God will grant it, for you have repented. Let this blessing wash away your sins, and begin anew, faithful child.”

If anyone other than me found it odd that I was calling people far older than me a faithful child, they didn’t mention it. 

“Thank you, Your Holiness, and I thank God for his mercy.”

I took almost no breaks, like yesterday. The bowl of water had to be refilled a few times, and I wondered if it had any special powers. To my knowledge, holy water was real, blessed with the holy power of priests, and they had healing properties. This water, though, seemed to only have been blessed with empty words, if that. 

Ironically, it appeared that I was the only one that wasn’t repenting in the slightest. In my defense, knowing that this world was from a novel written for entertainment didn’t exactly make me religious. To get what I want, I needed unwavering conviction to do what needed to be done. 

The ceremony finished even later than the day before, and it was nearly midnight when I reached my room. It felt like I had just gotten there when I was woken up for the next day. 

“On this day of a new year, we thank God for his blessings. Such is the second of the holy days, thus, let Blessing Day begin.”

Yet another priest officiated this one. It was said that the first was always the most special, which was why I couldn’t remember much of this day in the middle, though the holiday was named after it. It was a whole day of ceremony, the priests and I giving speeches and prayers. 

This time, we spoke more in the common language, so there was as much of it as the holy language. They needed some way to keep the audience engaged, I guessed. All it did was  make me wonder how many lies I could tell in this sacred place before God struck me down, if he dared. 

There were no interactions afterwards, which I was grateful for, because my throat really couldn’t work anymore. The ritual was over earlier than the other ones because of that, and I was free after evening prayers and a shared dinner with all the priests. Normally, I would’ve observed the room to determine the social standings of everyone, but I was too tired to bother. 

I went to bed early and got a good night’s sleep for once. When I got up the next day and remembered it was the last day, I was way too happy. I couldn’t wait to be sleeping in my own room again, though the one here was by no means shabby. I missed my family and friends, and I couldn’t wait to brag about being the saint. 

“We celebrate this second day of the new year, and we ask God for his blessings going forth. Today, New Day, is the last of the holy days, and for the remainder of this year, we shall swear to serve and obey God with honesty and integrity.”

The high priest officiating prayed and gave a speech in the common language and the holy language. I did the same, and I wasn’t sure if it was the brainwashing effect of being in the grand temple too long or something else, but I felt like I belonged. 

I, the villainess! If I had a chance to be a sweet female lead everyone loved, I would take it, but in my instincts, I knew that wasn’t who I was. For now, the illusion was enough. 

“Please, come forward, and allow us to pray for and bless you.”

Today was similar to Repentance Day, though this time I didn’t get anyone I knew closely other than a few of my friends. However, one did catch my attention. 

“Good saint, please pray for my daughter, and let God heal her.”

He was a man about my father’s age, dressed like a noble. His face was familiar, as with most of high society, but I couldn’t recognize him right away, though I had a bad feeling. He looked as worn out as I felt, dark circles under his eyes, which were red and puffy.

“What happened to your daughter, sir?”

“She had an allergic reaction to a foreign tea and lost her voice. Before, she always sang in the choir for the holy days, and when I heard them… oh, my poor baby, Luisa…”

The man broke into sniffles and shook himself. I nodded sympathetically, my body automatically being polite while my head screamed at me. 

“I’m awfully sorry to be so boorish, but it’s been a hard time for my family. Can you pray for us, Saint Valentina?”

“Of course. I will pray most sincerely for your daughter’s health, and that God may grant her good health and restore her voice.”

“Thank you, thank you so much! My little girl, she’ll be so happy…”

I called a few apprentice priests over to help the man calm himself in a side chamber with some water to drink. My heart raced as I glanced around the room, searching for whoever did this. 

The number one rule of high society was that there were no coincidences. You were set up, or you set others up. My eyes met the queen’s. 

She didn’t smile or frown, but just lifted her eyebrows knowingly and looked right back at me until she had to turn to leave to not block up the lines. Had she done this? Most definitely. Lady Luisa had been one of hers, and she couldn’t have been pleased with what I did. 

But first, how much did she know? Not enough to spread a rumour, blackmail, or openly accuse me, or she didn’t want to yet. No one would believe, after all, that the new saint, a nine-year-old child, would poison someone. With the temple and my family behind me, I was surely safe. 

“...excuse me, saintess?”

“Ah, sorry.”

I continued blessings while my mind wandered. The queen could’ve told the count that blessings from me were more effective or something, but it didn’t seem like he knew I was the one who caused it. Was this just to worsen my conscience, then? A warning? 

Some things had to be done. Someone else’s happiness was of no concern to me until I was safely the queen, and at that point, I could care for more people with everything I had. Before that, sometimes collateral damage happened. And if she was trying to warn me, well, she failed. 

“May God give you many blessings.”

What a hypocrite I was. How ironic. 

The rest of the day passed in a blur compared to the morning, and I slept at the temple again. I was more used to it now, so I was less tired, although I was looking forward to not waking up before the sun rose. 

The following morning, after breakfast, a carriage came to pick me up. A few high priests and my tutor sent me off. 

“I will start visiting the castle in a few days, Your Holiness, once I complete compiling some resources.”

“I look forward to seeing you again, Priest Fernandez.”

“We are delighted to have you, Your Holiness. You are truly the saint, and may God give you many blessings.”

“And you as well, Your Eminences. Thank you for everything you’ve done.”

On the ride back, I left all my irritation behind. I was the saint now, known to the whole kingdom as such. Another thing successfully taken away from the female lead. Another step closer. 

19