Chapter 43 – My Future Father-in-Law
629 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Now that the holy days were finally over, Father brought up the betrothal to the king, who requested a meeting with us. Mother and Father prepared a list of questions that he might ask and had me memorize all of them and the answers. It was child’s play after the ceremonies. 

In my past life, I never had a job before I died, so this was my first ever interview, and one that would determine the entire course of my life. I could hardly wait. 

“Are you ready, my angel?”

“Yes, Father! I’ll be out in a second.”

I gave one last twirl in front of the mirror, gazing at my reflection lovingly, and came out of my room. Father was waiting in the hall and smiled when he saw me. 

“You look beautiful, as always. No surprise, given who you got it from.”

“Of course. You look great, too, Father.”

I wore a grand golden dress with regal jewellery. They weren’t ostentatious, but they were of the highest-quality I owned. It was fitting for a to-be princess. 

Father wore a handsome suit, not the kind like my past life, but a noble attire suitable for the grand duke. It matched his public demeanor, forbidding and strong. We were the image of House Avington, formidable, elite, and proud. 

“Shall we? His Majesty awaits.”

Father offered me his arm. I took it, and we headed to the king’s private study where he was going to meet us. People we passed on the way greeted us extra courteously and once again I delighted in the influence our power had. Soon, it would be even more. 

A valet stood beside the door to the study and bowed as we approached. 

“Please, enter. His Majesty is expecting you.”

He held open the door and Father and I walked in. It was a comfortable study, spacious and stately, as expected of the king. Bookshelves and paintings lined the walls, along with large windows overlooking the main courtyard. A few couches and armchairs rested to the side, unoccupied. The king sat behind his desk and looked up upon our entrance. 

Father bowed and I curtsied, putting in every ounce of elegance I had. We greeted the king together. 

“Good morning, Your Majesty, the Sun of Orilon.”

King Henry organized the pile of papers he was looking over and moved it to the side. He smiled, the picture of a wise and kind monarch. 

“Good morning, Grand Duke and Lady Valentina. Do sit.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

We pulled out the chairs opposite the king and sat down. It was a curious feeling to be so close to the man that held the most authority in the kingdom, but I was calm, for I was confident he approved of me, or would once this was done. I was the most perfect noble lady. 

“How are you, Lady Valentina?”

“I am very well, thank you. How are you, Your Majesty?”

“I am excellent, thank you for asking. And you, Zacharias?”

“I’m fine.” 

I was already tired of so many manners. We planned for my etiquette to contrast with Father, all so that one day I wouldn’t have to do that anymore, because no one would be above me. That thought kept me going. 

The king clasped his hands on the desk. His expression shifted to be more serious. 

“Then, we will get to the point. Lady Valentina, I heard the betrothal between yourself and Prince Oscar was your idea?”

One of the questions I had practiced. I smiled, polite and graceful, not betraying one hint of smugness or arrogance. 

“Yes, Your Majesty. I believe it is the best for our kingdom.”

“Would you like to elaborate?”

“Certainly. The king is the Sun of the kingdom, and the queen is the Moon, both pillars of Orilon. His Highness will eventually inherit the throne, and his wife will be the queen. As the prince, his education will surely be adequate, but the same can not be assuredly said for his bride. Of all eligible girls, I am the most befitting, and will be able to contribute the most to our kingdom.”

This was the one thing in which I was positive I was better than the female lead. She might have the support of commoners with her upbringing, but she wouldn’t have any proper education nor experience in politics and management. If I tried, I could actually improve the lives of the people far more than she knew how. 

“Indeed, you are taking many lessons, yes?”

“Everything required of an aristocratic lady and the heir to House Avington. In fact, I am taking some of my Second Class exams at the end of the month.”

“You are clearly a very bright child. But how do you plan to succeed House Avington and handle the duties of the queen at the same time?”

This, unfortunately, was a case against me. We made the best of it, as much as we could. 

“About four centuries ago, Queen Theresa married the Marquess of Portmond at the time. Tensions with Isvoria were high, so he had to stay in his territory for long periods. He and Queen Theresa visited each other whenever they could, until he passed his title onto their second child and retired to the capital. As the couple became one of the most important in the history of Orilon, the task is definitely manageable.”

This could be a realistic future, and I liked the idea of passing House Avington to one of my future children, since I didn't want our house to end with me. The king gave a nod I thought to be favourable. 

“That is a practicable plan, and you are very knowledgeable for your age. However, aren’t you too young to be considering marriage?”

A completely valid point, especially with the memories of my past world. Still, the risk of death and my desperate desire for absolute power stemming from the weakness of my last life were enough persuasion for me to know what I wanted. 

“No one is ever too young to wish to ensure the best for their kingdom. In addition, it’s only a betrothal, which His Highness or I can annul once we are of age, if we so desire. My age is not atypical for a betrothal, and my father and mother both agree with the arrangement. Also, I like His Highness.”

Though it was true betrothals between young children happened all the time, they were sought out and arranged by families for political purposes like long-term alliances. Most likely, the king would simply dismiss the fact that I was the one that proposed this to be a childish crush on his son, or that my parents told me to do so. 

In essence, betrothals were agreements between families regarding minors. When the children came of age, they almost always affirmed it with an engagement ceremony and party, or in rare situations, one or both individuals could annul it. It was perfectly legal, but socially scandalous, which was why it was such a significant gesture when the prince annulled our engagement in the novel. 

The king chuckled, as adults did when encountering children who thought they knew romance. I, too, was like that in my past life, but it irritated me nonetheless. We moved on to the next topic. 

“I offer my congratulations again, Saint Valentina. How will the temple interact with the government, if you were to be queen?”

Something suddenly clicked in my head. Was my initial meeting with the prince earlier than in the novel because the royal family had heard about me being the saint before it was announced and sent him? After all, he first took an interest in the female lead because the third male lead said she could be the saint. If so, the temple’s support could be crucial to getting my betrothal. It was a good thing my scripted response suited the purpose. 

“The temple doubtlessly wants to spread the word of God with his kindness and to improve the lives of his children, the people of Orilon. It is a common goal, and I will personally ensure that the temple acts in solidarity with the government towards it, along with House Avington.”

If all three factions, the temple, the royal family, and House Avington, worked together, we could lead Orilon to a glorious future. I would be the tie between them, the one to unite us, and we could even consider world domination. It was the best possible outcome, one that the female lead could never provide. 

King Henry’s eyes glinted with interest and he smiled with satisfaction as his expression relaxed. The interview was over, and the outcome had been decided. My heart pounded as the man I hoped to be my future husband’s father pronounced his judgement. 

“Without question, Lady Valentina, you will make an exceptional queen. I can’t imagine a better bride for Oscar, and I will be happy to have you as a daughter-in-law.”

I beamed with pride. Naturally, this was expected, but having my superiority confirmed never ceased to be thrilling. 

“Your Majesty and His Highness are fortunate.”

Even through Father’s emotionless mask, I could tell he was immensely proud. The king let out a good-humoured laugh. 

“Absolutely! And before you change your mind, Zacharias, do you have the contract with you?”

Father waved a hand and his servant took out a sheet of paper. He presented it to the king, who read over the contract quickly. 

“All seems to be in order.”

King Henry took a pen laying around on his desk and I watched sign his name on a line. The ink strokes were like fate settling into place, paving a path to success for me. He gave the pen and paper to Father, who also signed. 

It was done. I, Valentina Avington, was officially betrothed to the crown prince. My ecstasy could barely be contained, and I grinned the whole way back to my room. 

One day, I would be crown princess, then queen. Nothing could stop me now, and if the female lead tried to get in my way, I could just say: bring it on.

22