Chapter 46 – Charitable Saint
587 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Holiness, it’s truly a fantastic opportunity to be able to work with you.”

Priest Fernandez and I had already had a few lessons together, so I knew his words had a deeper meaning. We were having class in a sitting room, now part of my routine, and I drummed a finger on the arm of my chair. 

“Do you have something in mind?”

“Merely that it would be marvellous if you held a charity event. Many nobles donate just enough to appear devout, but Your Holiness is both a lady and the saint, so it would be deeply inspiring.”

“Ah, I see. I agree.”

With my slightly better understanding of the temple and its priests, I could say with confidence that most cared about God about as much as nobles cared about the commoners we ruled over. The world was always all about money, including donations that mysteriously lessened and priests living in more comfort that God likely approved of. 

“In fact, I’ve asked Her Grace to arrange something. It’s excellent for House Avington to openly show its support for the temple.”

I leaned in, frowning with irritation and my nails digging into the armrests. Did he forget who was in charge here?”

“The last time I checked, I was the saint and the successor to House Avington, not you. The next time you make a decision without informing me, I’m sure the temple will gladly arrange for a new tutor.”

“Of course, Your Holiness. My apologies.”

If he was surprised by my attitude, he didn’t show it. Over the short time we’d had lessons, I’d started revealing more of my true self, because of how exhausting it was to keep up my facade. Despite him being a senior priest, I was the saint, and he was in no position to threaten me. I knew he was here to keep an eye on me for the temple, but the high priests likely wouldn’t mind as long as I looked good in public. 

Or this could be a test, from the temple or himself. If they wanted to see if I was a real saint, I was doomed to fail eventually. Except with their support, the lie would be the truth in the eyes of everyone else, and that was enough. However, they needed to know I wasn’t a child for them to take advantage of, and I expected our relationship to be fair. In fact, it was a sign of trust for me to show who I really was to my tutor. 

“Since you’ve made the decision without me, there isn’t anything further to discuss. Give the books you mentioned earlier to my maid, and you’re dismissed.”

He was all right as a tutor, but I disliked his attitude, someone that obviously didn’t know his place. Actually, I was glad I could arrange things with Mother instead of with him. I would have done it anyways, but the problem was with his priorities. 

I headed to Mother’s room. She sat behind her desk, working on papers, and beamed when I came in. She waved me to sit. 

“Come, darling, you’re as pretty as usual. Did the priest tell you about the occasion yet?”

“Yes, Mother. He said you were going to organize things.”

“Indeed, he asked me to. A bit impudent of him, I never liked those priests much. You can handle it, if you want.”

“No, I'd prefer it if you did. And don’t worry, I’ve dealt him.”

Mother smiled excitedly and patted my hands. She pulled open a drawer and took out a sheet of paper. 

“I was hoping you would say that. Here, I was thinking of a concert, and we could have you and your friends play. We can say it’s for the avalanche that happened recently at Mount Wolfbourg, to help those whose villages were destroyed.”

I was impressed with Mother, again. She knew how to plan an affair like no other. 

“That sounds wonderful. I’ll go ask them right now.”

“Take this, it has a song list and the corresponding instruments your friends play. Have fun!”

At our usual afternoon gathering, I sought out everyone on the list, which was almost everyone in my circle, and invited them. Though I knew all my friends were talented and played music one way or the other as part of their education, I hadn’t known there was such a variety, since I didn’t pay attention to anything unrelated to myself. I was surprised to find I was genuinely intrigued and somewhat impressed. 

My friends, loyal and sweet as they were, readily agreed. 

“Anything for you, Saint Valentina!”

“Well, I suppose it’ll be interesting. I like those songs.”

“Eh? What avalanche? Whatever, as long as I get to play.”

“It’ll be an honour, Lady Valentina. I won’t embarrass us.”

We went over the song list Mother had prepared, discussing plans. The next few days, we dedicated all of our time to practicing, until we were positively angels. A date was set, invitations were sent out, and so came my first charitable act as the saint. 

“Welcome, everyone. Thank you for coming to our humble concert.”

It was being held in one of the largest drawing rooms in the castle because of the sheer number of guests. Mother and I stood in the center for the introduction, with the instruments set up nearby and the performers sitting at the front, ready to be called up. 

We wore our best, though we had a lot in our wardrobes that we considered best. Demure elegance, humility, and generosity were the ambience, so I wore a dark grey dress with delicate jewellry that softened my features. 

“An avalanche recently shocked Mount Wolfbourg, and part of the donations today will be contributed to helping survivors rebuild. Please, think of me today not as a noble lady, but as a servant of God to spread his compassion.”

The modesty and submissiveness disgusted me, but I thought it was effective. Many in the audience looked impressed and nodded along. Mother and I alternated speaking, but it was a short speech, and the music soon began. 

My friends, as I had expected, were amazing. They played violins, cellos, harps, flutes, clarinets, and more, as solos, duets, or small ensembles, sometimes with singing. The songs ranged from traditional hymns to more modern carols, all incredibly beautiful. I admired them proudly, because this concert wasn’t about me and their achievements were ours, so I gladly acknowledged their magnificence. 

Whenever a song ended, I clapped the loudest. After the performer curtsied and sat back down, I stood up and addressed the room, gesturing to the servants. 

“If you enjoyed that lovely song, please do donate as the maids come around so the poor villagers can enjoy the beauty of life as well. We thank you most sincerely.”

This was a first of sorts, combining entertainment for nobles with fundraising, especially with aristocratic performers. We weren’t court musicians, those were considered a lower class, and their songs would’ve been worth little. Charity events typically only appealed to commoners, but this concert was a special privilege that was good enough for nobles. 

It was a success, too. As the maids went around with small boxes, many deposited coins or wrote checks, trying to outdo their neighbors. This was much more efficient than the female lead volunteering personally, and could actually make an impact. I grinned smugly. 

Time passed fast when you were having fun, and the evening was almost over. 

“The last song we bring to you is an ensemble with all the performers today. Please enjoy.”

This was the grand act of the night, and we played our hearts out, pouring in every bit of passion. In this world with limited entertainment, music drove us, and was a dear love of many I knew, including myself. It was freedom to dream, to hope, to imagine. Perhaps our melodies could reach the stars and heavens, for it was truly magical. 

When at last we stood and curstied together, thunderous applause followed. Many wiped their watering eyes, and the boxes overflowed with coins and checks. It was yet another victory. 

“Thank you, everyone!”

I couldn’t stop smiling as the night came to a close. I wanted to talk to Mother, but us performers were surrounded with complimenting nobles and friends, not that I was complaining. In the end, all our friends and I headed to Annalise’s chambers and had a sleepover after snacks and games. 

The next morning, we hung out some more, and it was terrific fun. But by the afternoon, many of us had homework or lessons, so we parted. 

I went to find Mother. When I entered her room, she came and embraced me. 

“Oh, I’m so proud of you, darling! It was like I saw myself again, sitting in front of that piano!”

“I’m really happy, Mother. Thank you so much for arranging everything so well.”

“It was my pleasure, to create such beauty.”

She let go of me and held my hands. I looked at her expectantly, but when she tilted her head curiously, I knew I had to ask verbally. 

“So, how much did we make?”

Mother laughed and stroked my hair. My eyes glinted in excitement for her answer. 

“A very large amount, as expected of my daughter. They are still counting, but I’ll make sure it’s fair for us.”

I blinked, processing the underlying message I detected with Mother’s teaching on reading between the lines. I couldn’t say I was surprised, but I hadn’t been expecting it either. When the recipient was the public, weak with no one that cared about them, money always went through several layers of embezzlement. Nobles and officials couldn’t help themselves. 

I wasn’t sure how I felt about this, but I supposed I would learn to do it sooner or later, for Father’s lessons in management, which we’d started recently, would likely cover the subject. Still, it was a little disheartening, like I had been lied to. 

On the other hand, I’d much rather have the money with us than with some priests. We needed whatever we could get in order to be strong enough to be safe, and I could save morals for when I was securely sitting on the throne. 

“I understand, Mother.”

16