Chapter 97 – Festival (I)
265 5 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- - -

It was October, a few weeks after Lady Valentina and Prince Oscar’s engagement, but the gossip surrounding them had scarcely died down. Even Catherine, as unpopular as she was, had been invited to hear several wildly different versions of what had happened in the theatre that night, some of them innocent, and some of them wildly scandalous. But one thing was fact: the couple had not appeared in public together since. 

Catherine wandered around the dark mansion, bored, though it didn’t bother her much. It was the first night of the festival, and Baron Bryant, Baroness Bryant, and Lady Briana had gone to it together. Father had wanted to bring her, but Lady Briana wailed at the very suggestion and Lady Bryant protested vehemently, so she’d offered to stay home. Seeing the bright lights from the windows, she very much wanted to go, always had, but alone, she was scared of running into the other ladies. She didn’t want to embarrass House Bryant even more. 

Suddenly, in the silent hall, a knock came beside Catherine, and she jumped. A figure stood outside the long window, on a circle of magic in thin air. Catherine couldn’t believe her eyes, but before she knew it, she was smiling uncontrollably and throwing the window open. 

“Lord Damian! What are you doing here?”

“Why, to take you to the festival, of course. It’s a shame for a lady as fine as you to be home on such a wonderful night.”

He smiled, like the prince of her fairytale dreams, coming to rescue her from her prison. Yet that made her think of the actual prince, and she winced. Still, no one was around to see, and she thought of all those years she’d watched her town’s festival from the bookstore window, longing to join. Lord Damian offered her a hand, and she took it. He gestured for her to climb out the window, though they were on the fourth floor. 

“Come now,” he said. “Don’t be afraid, I’ll catch you.”

Then he pulled her off the ledge, and they were falling. 

Catherine squeezed her eyes shut as she prepared to die. When she didn’t feel the impact, and instead found the wind rushing around her, she slowly reopened them. They were gliding towards the festival, or rather, Lord Damian was walking on air, and she was clutching his arm far too tightly. 

“Are you all right?” he asked, chuckling. 

She glanced down, was overwhelmed by a wave of fear and dizziness, and closed her eyes again, tightening her grip. 

“N-no, not really!”

Finally, their feet hit solid ground, and Catherine opened her eyes. She immediately let go, flushing, but stumbled, and he had to catch her again. To her horror, Lord Damian was laughing. 

“You’re so much worse at it than- ah, nevermind. Wasn’t it fun, at least a little!”

“It was terrifying! Lord Damian, you’re horrible! B-but, I suppose it was exciting, just a little. Mostly scary.”

“Shh,” he placed a finger to her lips. “Technically, I should be working right now, and I’m afraid it wouldn’t do your reputation any good to be seen with me. I have a spell that obscures our identities, but it only works if we don’t call each other by our full names. You shall simply call me Damian, and I shall call you… Cathy.”

Catherine barely had time to blush at this intimate address and did not have any to wonder about this strange spell, because Damian, as curiously splendid as his name sounded in her head, flashed his charming smile, and all her remaining thoughts fled. 

“Now, to apologize for startling you, my dear Cathy, let me buy you a treat.”

There was a stand right next to them, whose owner was staring at them with widened eyes, as he’d doubtlessly seen them descend from the sky. Yet when Damian slid a gold coin across the counter, his eyes widened even more. He didn’t say anything and scrambled to summon two large pink clouds from his pot, stuck on sticks, and handed them to Damian. 

“Thank you,” said Damian, taking them. “And keep the change! Celebrate the honour of being the first to serve this beautiful lady at her first festival.”

Catherine was growing worried that the vendor’s eyes would pop from his head, but Damian swept her away, laughing, and she decided that the world could have no worries when she was with him. He handed her one of the clouds, and she studied it curiously. 

“This is cotton candy, isn’t it? I’ve seen it before!”

“Indeed! It’s commonly considered a treat for commoners, but I think that’s nonsense. I like anything sweet, though I’m afraid it’s not nearly as sweet as you.”

Catherine blushed and hid her face behind the giant cloud as she carefully took a bite. It tasted just as fluffy as it looked and the flavour exploded pleasantly inside her mouth. She beamed. 

“Do you like it?”

“Yes! Thank you, Damian!”

A cool breeze blew by, making Catherine shudder, and she sneezed. Her health had gotten even worse lately, but the doctor had said she was just naturally frail. Something warm gently fell on her, and she looked up to see Damian wrapping his jacket around her shoulders. 

“Won’t you be cold?”

“Not when I’m with you, darling.”

He took her all around the festival, showing her everything. She marvelled at the pretty sights, the crowds, and all the fanciful things in the world she’d never imagined. She couldn’t stop smiling, because she’d never felt so happy. 

“Look, Cathy! It’s a haunted house! Want to go?”

“Sure!”

Catherine was too delirious with joy to refuse, and even when the door of the dark house slammed shut, she still wasn’t worried. She giggled with Damian as they explored the first floor, but on the second floor, a ghost leaped out from behind a door, and she shrieked. When they finally left, there were tears in her eyes, both from excitement and fear. 

“Were you scared?”

“O-only a little bit.”

Damian laughed and wiped away her tears. “Remember, darling, that you’ll always be safe with me.”

Catherine hadn’t noticed how tightly she’d been hanging onto him, and in the close proximity of their bodies, she felt warm all over. She blushed and stepped back a little. 

“I-I won’t forget! Let’s keep going!”

They continued to explore the festival, and a small stall caught Catherine’s eye. She pulled Damian’s sleeve and they went to look at it. It sold glinting accessories, from bracelets to watches to small daggers. She picked up a bracelet with a gold chain and tiny pink flowers, and held it up to examine it. 

“I used to have one that looked similar. It was the best thing I owned.”

Uncle had bought it for her one year, for her birthday, because he’d been in a particularly good mood. It was the only pretty thing she had, and she wore it everyday. One day, she'd carelessly left it laying around, and Uncle accidentally broke it in one of his rages. She’d wrapped the parts in a handkerchief and placed it under her pillow, and when she left the bookstore, she’d taken it with her. She’d tried to ask Father to repair it, but he’d laughed and bought her a more expensive one. Still, it reminded her of days when life was simpler and the outside world was a wonderful dream. 

Damian was studying an intricately carved pen knife with an odd expression. He put it down wistfully and bought the bracelet. 

She thanked him, and asked, “Aren’t you going to buy that knife?”

Damian clasped the bracelet around her wrist. “No, it simply reminded me of a different time.”

“Oh. Was it a happy time?”

“Yes, I suppose it was. This looks lovely on you, darling. Please think of me whenever you see it.”

He kissed her hand, and they began walking again. They went slower, mostly because Catherine was tired, though she wanted the night to never end. They passed a canal, and Damian came to a stop. 

“Want to take a boat? The fireworks are starting soon, and the view is splendid from the water.”

Catherine readily agreed, grateful to sit down. Damian paid the boatman, who waved at them cheerfully for his generosity as they set off. 

“How is this moving?” Catherine asked. “There’s no wind.”

“Magic,” said Damian. “I actually helped to perfect the spell a few years ago. It was rather interesting, since we had to consider reactions with all the other spells in the water.”

Catherine inquired more about his work, filled with curiosity, and he answered her questions happily and patiently. Suddenly, he pointed to the sky. 

“Look! It’s the fireworks.”

She gazed at them, wonderstruck. It was her first time seeing the full night sky lit up like this, not just a glimpse from her tiny window, and it filled her with feelings she couldn’t even begin to describe. Despite all the complications her new life has, she was glad she was out here, sharing the moment with Damian, breathing in the fresh night air filled with freedom. 

As the boat passed under a bridge, she briefly lowered her eyes, and caught Damian looking at her, his purple eyes dark and passionate. He leaned in, brushed a strand of her golden hair away from her face, and kissed her. His lips were gentle, but they made her heart pound wildly. It was not the same as the terrified thrill the sight of the prince gave her, for it was better. She could taste his warmth, and she adored every bit of it. 

Her heart felt too full, and all her senses were numb, except for the feeling of Damian’s lips on hers. It was as if she was floating in a dream, in the serene happiness she’d always wanted. The yearning was fulfilled, and she was complete.

- - -

Damian helped Catherine off the boat. Her face was still flushed, so cutely, and she stumbled when she stepped onto shore. He caught her, which of course, only made her face even redder. 

He checked his watch and his spells. It was about time to send the girl back, for her to be safely in bed by the time her parents got home. It surprised him how reluctant he was to part with her, and how much he’d enjoyed himself. 

Cathy was a true breath of fresh air compared to all the ladies he was used to. They were all too proper, with their nice manners and propriety, while the commoner girls were either too lowly or too dim for good company. Here was a girl with a half-decent education, none of the stiffness, and an utterly adorable composure. Best of all, she irked Val. 

Val! The thought startled him. When was the last time he’d gone so long without thinking about her? Even at the stall, he’d unconsciously shoved the image of her away for the girl in front of him. He’d never done that for anyone before. 

Curious. Indeed, how curious…

8