Chapter 12.2: Reward
766 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      For some reason that seemed to defy reason, the side chamber for the small hanger held a single portrait overlooking the meeting table. It was an illustration inspired from an orbital vid that he had seen once before. The painting depicted the Battle of Kavkan, one of the largest orbital battles in history. It was fought for the star port in the lower atmosphere, and was one of the few times during the Great War when warships were well within sight of one another. 

      Missiles the sized of skyscrapers flew through the thin atmosphere, appearing as flaming spears amongst the clouds. A Dreadnaught faded in the background, eclipsing the stars as thousands of lesser craft battled amongst themselves like gladiators of old. Broadside against broadside, galley against galley, they were well within miles of one another. 

      Such battles were unheard of, or were the concept of lunatics. Yet on Kavkan it happened. From the ground, looking up, it must’ve been like watching a war amongst the gods. More than one sonnet about Armageddon must’ve been written during that time, or so Reward imagined. 

      The battle ended two dozen capital ships, three dreadnoughts, and over a hundred lesser vessels. That wasn’t counting the devastation to the star port or city below. It is believed a million were killed from the star fall afterward, where the bulk of all those ships fell to the surface. 

      The artwork was surprisingly accurate, and highly detailed. Whoever the artist was, they captured the feeling of dread during that instant of cataclysm. Reward was even more shocked to find the piece was an original artwork, instead of a re-print. He could even make out the subtle brush strokes along the colors of flame. Why the captain would choose to hang such a masterpiece, or where he even got it, was a mystery. 

      “You doing ok?” Lora Rookson emerged from the side door. Instead of her armor, she wore a body suit that clung to her curves rather nicely. Her bulk always caught Reward’s attention. He had never met someone like her before, and was equally surprised that she was fond of his attention. 

      “I’m…” Reward found the words stuck in his throat. His cheeks were on fire. “Fine, I guess. I just wanted to talk to you in person, before the captain got wind of what was going on below decks.”

      “You mean, about the disturbance with the Comfort Liaison’s?” There wasn’t a shred of doubt in her tone. 

      Reward smirked, “Specifically the one we brought aboard. I heard you had something to do with her…accident?” 

      Somehow, Reward found Lora’s grimace rather cute. “How was I supposed to know some damn mechanic was using it as her personal play thing?”

      “Listen,” Reward tried to calm her down. “Has she been, I don’t know, lurking around where she shouldn’t?”

      “What?” Lora raised a brow. She walked around the briefing table before coming to a halt next to him. Looking up at the painting, she didn’t seem amused. 

      Reward found her presence irresistible. He could feel the warmth of her body, and smell the smallest hint of perfume. She noticed the way he was looking at her, and leaned forward on the table with a grin on her face. Even with the scaring on her cheeks, Reward was lost in her eyes.

      Recovering his composure, Reward had to look away before she could make fun of his embarrassment. “Recently,” he found his voice stretched. He cleared his throat before continuing, “pirate activity is down, and even known hideouts are eerily quiet.”

      Lora sighed, stood up straight, and brushed her hair back. The way her pectoral muscles lifted her breasts while reaching back, made Reward stiffen. “Isn’t that a good thing?” She asked.

      Yes, and no. Reward looked back at the painting, a sense of dread clouding his vision. “When you’re in shark infested waters, and all the small sharks are scurrying away, that typically means.”

      “They’re scared of an even bigger shark?” Lora finished his sentence. 

      “You guessed it.”

      The air conditioning vibrated over head, leaving the two of them in an eerie silence. A few seconds passed before Lora spoke again, but not before stretching her arms, and rubbing the back of her neck. “And, you think Melie is possibly responsible?”

      Reward kept looking at the painting, studying every inch of mayhem it portrayed. It seemed rather impossible for the new visitor to not be responsible. He felt a sense of regret for even rescuing her in the first place, if she even needed rescuing. “She’s been rather active on C-deck, or so I’ve been told.”

      Barely two weeks had passed, and already everyone knew of Melie. While she kept close to Journey at all times, she was always eager to please anyone who asked. By now, he doubted there was a man she hadn’t spread her legs for, or offered a blowjob too without a second thought. Even Reward couldn’t help but feel a strange yearning each time he noticed her in the halls, and he was glad she kept away from the hanger.

      Lora’s eyes danced back and forth, as if reliving a fond memory. “Yeah, and all my men can’t seem to get enough of her. Even the women in my crew have been caught sneaking out of her lodgings some nights.”

      “Maybe that should stop?” Reward asked with concern. 

      “I don’t think I could stop them if I tried.” There was apprehension in Lora’s tone, as if she had questioned this very line of reasoning multiple times. “Besides, things will return to normal when we get to Sinmore. Maybe the captain should adjust the hibernation pods so this sort of thing couldn’t happen again?”

      “Who knows,” Reward looked over to the soldier. “Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that the captain is asking around. Apparently one of his staff officers is missing, and it won’t be long until he asks you to start searching the ship. Since you’ve spent time with the Comfort Liaisons, I thought you could—“

      “Get ahead of this?” Lora shrugged. “I have no idea where Rise is, haven’t seen him in a few days actually. But I am willing to bet where to look.”

      “Best start looking now then,” Reward was just about to leave when he felt Lora’s hand on his forearm.

      “Before we get to business, what do you say about us getting down to business?” The flirtation was cumbersome, to say the least, yet he still found the awkward tease sexually alluring. 

      “Right here?” Reward looked at the table, and imagined her laying on it. The bulk of her muscles made it difficult for her to ride him on top, but she seemed to enjoy missionary. Or at least, Lora had enjoyed it last time she let him in her quarters.“No,” Lora didn’t seem to like the painting. Reward was getting to know her just enough to catch the small visual clues. They had been spending a lot of time together, more often merely enjoying each others presence. 

      Lora had a thing for books, and during the long hours in between patrols, Reward would sleep next to her as she had her face buried in some tome she had acquired. The way she looked at the painting reminded him of how she looked when reading anything involving war stories. He found it strange that, as a soldier, she would be bothered by such things. “Why don’t you show me what the inside of your cockpit looks like?” She asked with a shaking, yet tantalizing, voice.

      “I don’t think it’ll fit the both of us.” Reward knew his craft better than the back of his hand, or the curves of Lora’s rear cheeks. He was rather certain she wouldn’t fit in a standard fighter without some serious modifications.

      “Oh, trust me,” Lora’s reached between his legs, and grabbled hold of his manhood. “I’ll…make it fit.”

      That might’ve been the dumbest pickup line Reward had ever received. Thinking back, it was probably the first ever pickup line he received. Normally it was his job to do the wooing, and he always thought himself rather good at it. Regardless, he was happy to take her by the hand, and lead the way. 

11