Chapter 15.1: Esta
681 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      “They’re…all…pregnant…already?” Esta rubbed her eyes in frustration. Of all the colonists she had just begun processing, forty percent of them were already knocked up. What made matters even worse, were that the most beautiful already had buns in their little ovens. She had a stockade of top of the line men of the highest breeding waiting to share their genes, and few partners available enjoy them. Esta hoped these colonists would help supply a new generation of pure blooded offspring, clearly something had gone wrong.

      Esta sat naked on her large mattress, letting her girls breathe in the clean air. The entire wall was a window to the outside, and it showed her a view of the world below. If she looked hard enough, Esta could make out tiny pinpricks of light on the grey plains along the equator. 

      Standing nearby, her ships executive officer stood in front of the picturesque view. Major Wilde was a tall man, with salt and pepper hair flowing over his ears. His mustache was a stark white, the same as his mutton chops. There was a certain aura about him, one that almost seemed to glow in the darkened confines of the ship. His rosy complexion seemed at odds with the rest of the crew. 

      Major Wilde held a small goblet of whiskey in one hand, and a cigar in the other.  His dark blue uniform was decorated in sashes and medals. He looked like a man out of place and time. Yet his understanding of Esta’s business practices were well understood. There was a mutual agreement between them, and he was perhaps the only man she could trust.

      His voice was stern, like a seasoned veteran not prone to dealing with bullshit. “It looks like they’re all inseminated by the same genetic parent. The seed seems to be extremely potent.” 

      “What about sperm health?” Increasing the potency of semen tended to cause wild mutations. More often than not, it damaged the cell to create new degenerative disorders. For these women to have been impregnated by healthy super sperm, it peaked Esta’s interest.

      “The genetic quality is in the upper 90th percentile.” Wilde took a sip of his whiskey in between puffs of his cigar. 

      “I see,” Esta found herself thirsty for some wine. “Who’s the father?” She asked.

      “Thats the interesting part, apparently it isn’t a man at all, but a woman who has undergone some form of augmentation procedure.” His no nonsense answer caught Esta by surprise. She shot up, causing her breasts to swing, and caught her breath. 

      The wisened officer continued. “It’s likely due to an experimental hibernation pod. After performing an audit on the ships hibernation pods I found they were provided by aftermarket suppliers, and configured using pre-war routines. It’s likely the sexual modification protocols installed were Sihnonian by design.”

      “Pre-fall Sihnonian genetic research…fascinating!” Esta pondered the significance. Sihnon Ariel had always preferred technological superiority over genetic research, to the point of fanaticism. Very little of their earlier achievements survived the revolution, and subsequent rise of the Holy Cog. To think even a parcel of their earlier genius might survive…the idea sent shivers down Esta’s spine.

      “Indeed, and highly advanced.” Wilde caught the flicker in her eye.

      A shooting star could been seen traveling along the length of the giant glass window. It faded toward the worlds atmosphere, only to burn up upon entry. 

      “Have you brought the pods aboard?” Esta spoke with a hint of reverence.

      “Some of them yes, and I’ve already downloaded the modification protocol for study. It’s not as sophisticated as I expected, except for the genome re-sequencing.” Another collection of shooting stars trailed by, this time burning brighter.

      “What about the subject who impregnated all these women?” 

      “Still at large, I’m afraid.” Major Wilde finished the contents of his glass before setting it down. He seemed to enjoy puffing the cigar, and Esta wasn’t bothered by the ripe smell of the tobacco. Some people detested it, yet the thick musk reminded her of back home.

      Esta laid on her back, letting her hair tussle against the silk pillows. “A modified female with super-sperm. Bring her to me, unharmed please.” 

      “Already on it, and it appears we may have an asset in play.” 

      “What asset?” Esta rolled onto her side.

      “I have it on good authority that Melie is with her. Her own body has undergone some kind of radical procedure as well.” Wilde looked over to her respectfully.

      “Melie!” Esta hopped up. “That’s a relief, I feared she went rogue.” She brushed her hair back before continuing. “Radical transformations you say? That won’t do, I’ll be sure to correct that once she’s back in the fold.” 

      “The Star of Argon is a large ship, it’ll take time for the final sentries to complete their search. Theirs a lingering remnant of defenders still active as well.” 

      The idea of Melie wondering around in the dark worried her. Esta’s desire to meet the other modified female was also peaked. “We must find them. Send the tentacles.” 

      Of course what Esta was referring to was a pet creature project that she had designed to capture sensitive prey. The fact that it had tentacles was only one of its features. 

      Major Wilde wasn’t amused. “Really? Come on, that’s just childish.”

      “Send in the tentacles!” Esta’s outburst sent a trail of saliva spitting through the room.

8