CH.3 Death
82 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You die.

Followed by a MUD-wide notification:   

 

All the thieves in the land suddenly wonder where Isaiah’s corpse might be found.

 

The game terminal starts displaying a death cutscene.

 

Your world spins and you find yourself standing on an outcropping in a barren hellscape.   In the distance there is a red and black wall with many faces on it wailing in pain.

 

A black male figure appears from nowhere.

 

Bane says:  “Ah another soul for the wall.”

 

A female figure with a divine radiance surrounding her appears next to him.

 

Ventri says:  “No so fast, this one is new.   We should give him another chance.”

Vetri says:  “You have died 1 time.”

Vetri smiles at you.

Vetri says:  “It is alright you can get through this.”

 

Bane says: “This one serves no deity so the death penalty will be increased.”

 

Vetri waves her hand and a portal appears.

 

Vetri says: “You will be sent back to a church of your choosing.   And one last thing, try to be more careful next time.”

 

Then the cutscene stops and Isaiah is transported to a room set up like a staging spot to go to certain places around the realm to respawn.   The room looks like a hazy place between worlds with mist swirling about chaotically.   There are many exits but the only recognizable one is shadow.   Isaiah glances around and notices that instead of an elf he is now a ghost.   

 

Trying several commands just makes his ghostly self emote: “You wail miserably”  Looks like ghosts can’t do much.   Luckily heading to the exit to the shadow church is an action that is not blocked while in ghost form.   

 

You wail miserably.

 

Isaiah’s player grumbles.   Apparently typing commands like who, score, and say is difficult to forget they don’t work while dead.   Also, letting the whole mud know that a character messed up and died is a bit harsh as well.   

 

As soon as he heads to the shadow church the caretaker, an NPC by the name of Anita whispers to him “Type pray to return to the living.”   He does so and doesn’t have commands locked anymore.   He types score to check his character sheet.  It looks like he lost 10% of his experience.  Hmmm, did that mean dying could cause someone to lose levels as well?  Despite his death he still had enough experience in both his classes to advance.   Because a church is a place to advance, he advances both of his classes to 3/3.   Sadly, he only returns with 1 hit point.   Also, his gear is gone.  His whole inventory is gone.   It looks like the message about thieves looking for a player corpse was not just to add insult to injury.   Player corpses can be looted.   

 

Well, don’t want to give anyone a chance to loot Isaiah’s corpse.   The newly back-from-the-dead elf headed out of the church.  The church was in the west part of town so it was a straight shot to the west to get back to the goblin stronghold.  West west west west west west whoops too far, east alright now north to get back into the stronghold.

 

You miss goblin gateman.

Goblin hits you

HP: -2/25

 

You die.

The grim reaper cackles happily as he accepts Isaiah’s soul.

 

Lesson learned:  Don’t rush back to get your corpse unprepared.   

 

Much to Isaiah’s players' annoyance the death scene did keep track of how many times he died.

 

Vetri says:  “You have died 2 times.”

 

After repeating the steps not long ago Isaiah found himself in the shadow church.  Anita was here and whispered for him to pray.  Only she was not alone with his ghost this time.  Light was there waiting for him.

 

Light says:  “Hello Isaiah”

Isaiah sighs.

Isaiah says:  “Hello Light, how are you?”

Light says: “I’m a little concerned for you Isaiah what happened?”

Isaiah says:  “Well I was having some problems with a goblin king.”

Light frowns.

Light says: “Let me help you.”

Isaiah says:  “How can you do that?”

Light says: “I will get your corpse back for you just wait here.”

Isaiah bows to light.

Isaiah says: “Thank you Light I really appreciate the help.”

Light smiles.

Isaiah says: “It is no problem just wait right here.”

Light leaves out.

 

A couple minutes later light comes back in.

Light drop corpse of Isaiah.

Light says: “Here you go.”

Light smiles.

 

Isaiah says: “Thank you Light, how can I ever repay you?”

Light says: “It is nothing Lathander wants us to help one another just return the favor to someone else when you get the chance.”

 

4