CH.16 Kaarell explains it all.
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The male two elves and half-elf woman drank tea and chatted in the temple of Lathander for some time. It was nice talking about a bunch of nothing for a while and not worrying about levels or getting killed or stolen from.   Also, I learned that there was a very useful divine spell.

 

Kaarell begins casting a spell.

Kaarell protects this room against stealing.

 

Isaiah ohhs.

Isaiah says:  “Wow, that is an incredibly good spell.”

Kaarell says: “There are many thieves in this land.  They like to hide in the shadows or use invisibility spells to search for marks.”

Isaiah nods.

Isaiah says: “That is good to know!”

Kaarell says: “It would be the first time someone has snuck in on us either to spy or steal.”

Kaarell looks at his spell book and begins memorizing intensely.

Kaarell stands up.

Kaarell closes his eyes and mutters some words.   He opens them and they  flash a bright green.

Kaarell says: “Casting detect invisibility like this reveals those hiding in such a manner.”

Isaiah nods.

(Detect invisibility … he had that spell, but just not the components to cast it…)

Isaiah sighed.

Isaiah says: “More components I still need to buy.   Being a mage is expensive.”

Kaarell agrees.

Kaarell says: “It is also why you should try to get some mage robes when you get a chance.  Components bags are the number one target for thieves because with all the components we need to keep stocked they can become very valuable.”

Kaarell puts components bag in mage’s robes.

Isaiah says: “These I got from Antioch but I don’t think you are ready to go there yet.  I think it might be a little too dangerous for you.”

Kaarell looks you over.

Kaarell says: “Yes, you do need some better gear but it won’t do good to get something that you can’t equip yet.”

Kaarell says: “(OOC)It is +1 enchantment for each 5 levels.   So at level 5 you can equip +2 at level 10 +3 etc.”

Isaiah nods.

Isaiah says: “I’ve found some magical items but they are mostly things that don’t fit me.   The goblin stronghold had some goblin gear that was magical and the echoes mountains had some large gear that was magical.   It is a little bit frustrating.”

Kaarell says: “Also, one more thing, that metallic dragon amulet.   It was the guild item for a now gone guild.  Some of those holy warriors are still around and might not take kindly to someone wearing the item like they are members of a guild they never truly were a part of.  It shouldn’t be too big of a deal though there are worse things to wear.”

Kaarell smiles.

Kaarell says: “You say that, but as you explore more places you’ll find it is a lot harder to equip a large or small sized person.   There are many more options for those of us that are sized between them.   Don't get discouraged.”

Light agrees.

Light says: “I believe in you Isaiah, don’t give up.”

Isaiah smiles at Light.

Isaiah says: “Thanks Light, I’m always counting on you for support.”

Light says: “Just return the service to those that need it one day Isaiah.  Lathander wants us to help those that we can.”

Isaiah nods.

Isaiah says: “I can do that!”

Kaarell says: “Isaiah can I see your spell book?”

Isaiah shows spellbook to kaarell.

Kaarell says: “No no, I mean give it to me I want to see what spells you have.”

Isaiah nods.

Isaiah hands spellbook to kaarell.

Kaarell reads spellbook.

Kaarell gives spellbook to Isaiah.

Kaarell says: “It looks like you have most of the spells up to level 3.  You can get some high level scrolls from the drow Jarrow in his tower on deku.   It is not an easy fight though so you might want to wait before going to that island.”

Isaiah says: “How do I get to Deku?”

Kaarell says: “there is a dock on the east end of the shadow desert.   It is a long walk and you might pass out if you do the whole thing in one go.  A ferry docks there and does a loop, shadow, laerad, graez, and deku.   You could also buy a boat and sail there but they are expensive.   There are other islands that the ferry doesn’t go to. Don’t try them until you are stronger though.  Deku is the easiest one but still I wouldn’t go there just yet.”

Light agrees.

Light says: “Maybe explore the other places close to shadow first.”

Isaiah says: “Which places?”

Kaarell hmms.

Kaarell’s eye flutter as they stop glowing.  He blinks and they look normal again.

Kaarell says: “Ah that is the problem with the detect invisibility spell, it doesn’t last very long and it gets overly expensive to use it too often.”

Kaarell says: “Well you’ve outgrown the goblin stronghold but there is the dragon’s den cavern and darkwood.”

Isaiah shudders.

Isaiah says: “Dragon’s den doesn’t sound like an easy place.”

Kaarell smirks.
Kaarell says: “I know right?  The naming is deceptive.  There are no dragon’s down there.  Now it is just full of beastkin, orcs, kobolds, gnolls.  There is even a quest you might try to clear.  Look for banndalar in the walls of shadow.  Just watch out for arrows, for some reason she lives in a place where archers like to shoot at you for passing by.”

Isaiah boggles at this.  

Isaiah flexes his muscles.  

Isaiah says: “Well I can take a few arrows without dying.”  

Kaarell says: “I think you can do it if you are careful.  There is some useful loot to be had.  There is also the pirates cove but you might want to wait a bit for that.  Some of those pirates are scurvy backstabbers.”

Kaarell says: “It is southeast of the shadow.  You can find a cave in the corner of the desert or take a boat straight south of the shadow docks.   Renting a boat is a bit expensive though it costs a few thousand gold.”

Isaiah winced.  

(A few thousand gold was about all he had to his name renting a boat might make him broke.)

Isaiah says: “Well we’ve been chatting for a while, maybe I’ll go head out and see if I can find this quest for the dragon’s den caverns.  Where are the caverns again?”

Kaarell says: “It is just north of shadow on dragon pass road before you get to Antioch.  The entrance is not super obvious so you’ll have to look closely to find it.”

Isaiah nods.

Isaiah bows and waves.

Isaiah says: “Thank you for helping me all these many times.”

Light says: “Be well Isaiah.”

Kaarell says: “Sunshine and rainbows cousin.”

 

Isaiah left using the ‘out’ exit of the temple of Lathander.   He headed east along the quiet forest road and stopped at the gate guards.   He must have overlooked it before but at the gate there were four exits: east,west,north,south.   The north and south exits must be for the walls.   He went south and the warning about arrows was not unwarranted.  

 

Arrow misses you.

Arrow hits you.

HP: 45/47

 

Ouch… apparently shadow archers attack anything.

 

He eventually found a room in the walls that had the NPC he was looking for.   A middle aged woman named Bandallar.  She was just sitting there and said nothing upon his entrance into the section of the wall that she was in.   It looked like his first step would be to figure out how to get her to give him the quest Kaarell talked about.

0