CH.21 Taking a day off.
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Isaiah’s player decided he was going to take a break from the game.  He had been PK’d (Player killed) twice now. Was it supposed to be people role playing together or just killing each other like a game of unreal tournament? 

 

The next day using the wonderful source of information called the internet Isaiah’s player pulled up a site called ‘mudconnector.’  It is where he actually found out about all the other MUD’s he’d checked out before.  He noticed it had a review on it.

 

Review posted by Anonymous:

“The listing of shadowgate says it is a roleplaying mud but who are they kidding?  The immortals just favor certain classes and let the rest be garbage.  Want to be top of the food chain?  Just create a fighter/thief/mage power level up get a screamer and some wrist sheaths and you can just one round everyone.  “

 

Response by Tristan:

“Looks like someone has decided to take their personal grudge against me and my team here to the mud connector.   The goal has always been to make PK the greatest roleplay experience the world has ever seen.  Expect some changes in the near future.”

 

Isaiah’s player chuckled a bit at Tristan being put on the hot seat.  In his own experience PK in the mud just made it worse.  It wasn’t really a fair fight.  Both of the times he’d been ‘player killed’ it had just been someone bursting him down in a round or two.  The culture where higher levels just stomp on lower leveled ones because they can seem toxic.  In fact, he was almost sure his early experience with getting ganked by Nightfall right in the middle of shadow would have been enough for him to leave and not come back.  His connection with players like Light Kaarell and Schatten made him want to come back though.

 

The game’s website was also a bit interesting as well.  Not only did it have a bunch of information on it (classes, races, deities, guilds) but also a couple game generated things.  First, the who list was created in HTML form.  It emulated the <who> command only displaying it in a static webpage instead of lines of text scrolling across the mud client terminal.  He guessed it wasn’t updated real time but still it was useful.  Also, there were hyperlinks to the players backgrounds which was neat.  One could tell who was online and read the background of that player as well if they wanted to.  There was a link to the player directory too.  It had a bunch of html files in the player's name.  The directory listed how large the file size was and when it was last updated.  He did a quick scroll through and noted that the largest background was Lea at 51 kilo bytes. It was very long and had a lot of dates attached to a series of entries.  It was written like an appended journal.  Having a background like a diary to be appended to seemed like a novel idea to him.

 

After reading it, there were a few key takeaways to be made.  First, Lea was associated with Harmony and Harmony seemed to be the owner of the Rhapsody Inn.  Also, Lea’s background was way too intimate.  She had a failed engagement to Whitefalcon.  That is embarrassing for other people to know about.  Harmony tried to set her up in a relationship with someone named Margath.  It makes him sound like a pimp.  Regardless, he wanted to give this Harmony villain a wide berth.  

 

Anyway, the time had come to head to class.  While some of the computer labs had the ability to run telnet most wouldn’t let students install a mud client on them.  If he was really desperate he could log in but it would be at an extreme handicap.  Default telnet terminals had no colored text and no macros.   Every command would have to be typed out. If he wanted to go east 20 rooms he’d have to type out east 20 times repeating the last command typing each keystroke.

 

There was a long list of rules on the web page too.  

1: Golden Rules

Immortals have created this game with a goal and vision in mind. This vision is the goal of their actions. Their reward comes from the successfull movement toward this goal. Ultimately this goal is to make a game as successful a role playing environment and as near to Table top situation as possible in a MUD environment. Their actions are all geared toward the furtherance of this goal. Therefore, immortals' words are final. They also can act outside of the rules listed here when it is in the best interest of the MUD. Immortals are also human. They can act rashly and improperly. You can appeal decisions made by an immortal to LAW. This can be done by MUD mailing law, or mailing tristan. The word of law is final.
Players have the right to play the mud and enjoy themselves within the scheme of the MUD. That means within the role playing, functional, intended and logistic limits of the game. If you don't have fun playing D&D; MUD, you do not have a right to make it fun for yourself by making it a cyber MUD. If you don't like role playing you do not have a right to simply not. If you want to RP and play a D&D; mud you have a right to play here and have fun.
In general, overt criticism of the MUD is unwanted and will result in bad feeling. If you have suggestions as to improving the MUD or the playing environment please feel free to share it. We understand that we are not perfect and can always improve. However, like all humans we do not appreciate simply being told we "suck".

2: Concerning OOC

OOC means out of character. OOG means out of game. OOC is as your player not as your character. OOC should has its place on the MUD. This is best used when speaking about the game in general, asking functional questions, or making suggestions/comments. OOG has NO place on the MUD. This is not a meeting ground for long lost friends. This is not a cyber dating service. Email addresses, ICQ, AIM, etc information should not be exchanged on the MUD. If you are caught you will be at least jailed, at most removed completely. Please refer to the help roleplaying for more information.
Using any out of game advantage, such as real life relationships, is frowned upon. This means information as well as role-playing situations. Just because two people are friends in real life, that does not mean their characters are not bitter enemies. This means that the paladin and antipaladin who are sitting next to each other at the computers should not be partying all over the place.
Quitting or disconnecting out of battle is an unfair advantage. Think about it, how would you like it if the dragon you were fighting suddenly decided to quit and come back in a few hours? If you are caught doing this, you will receive the penalty of the death you were trying to escape.
Use of offerall as an RP tool is forbidden. Offerall is a tool provided so that a player can get rid of unwanted equipment. Offerall is not to be used in an attempt to hinder other players. Offerall is considered an OOC device and falls under OOC advantages.
Trying to exact an IC action against an inactive person is illegal. This includes attacking, animating, attacking horses, and all other IC actions. This includes waiting for the moment they go active and stabbing them. Conversely, inactive is an OOC action. Using it to avoid combat etc is the same as quitting out. Inactive includes edits as well in both cases.
Mail is an OOC tool. Using it to communicate around languages or distances is illegal. The only IC action through mail is the legal bounty voting.

3: Concerning multi characters

We allow a single player to have multiple characters. We believe that at times you may want to play something different, get away from a current character. We frown upon having armies of other characters. We feel that the MUD's greatest experience is the continued dedication and connectedness with a single character. It may take a while to find the character that has the personality and situation that best fits for you. We ask that you use the ability to make multiple characters with respect to the goal of making a community of meaningful characters.
Having two characters logged on at the same time is illegal. If you are seen doing this, both characters will be rid.
Giving away characters is illegal. If you don't want to play a character anymore, suicide , ask to be rid, or just stop playing (inactive characters are rid after 2 months).
Switching between characters is bad roleplaying, and if you are seen doing it enough, then your characters will be linked. This means when you get into a situation with your thief and you suddenly decide that your cleric could kill this monster (or player) or get that item easier and do the appropriate player switching. Wanting to stop playing one character and start playing another under normal circumstances is reasonable. If you are switching between characters, quit and don't just disconnect. If you are disconnecting and reconnecting, we will probably assume you are doing something illegal.
Giving items and/or money between your own characters is illegal. If you are caught doing this in ANY way, the items/money will be taken away. If you keep doing it, your characters will be linked or jailed or rid.
Talking about "your other chars" or refering to your other chars in a manner that tells people you are they is considered bad RP and illegal use of OOC information. If caught you will be jailed. This also applies to talking about other people's characters in an OOC sense.
The implication of these rules is that your characters can not know of each other. They can never have met, never have had any interaction. This means that your characters can not have any relation. They can not be brother and sister, husband and wife, etc.
All characters must have a valid email address set. If your email address changes you should change this address. This is for three reasons. We track characters by email. If you ever have problems with a password, or registration and you need to email the administration, if the email you use and your email set don't match we will ignore the message. We on occasion have had to send mass emails to people concerning the mud or its server.

4: Quests

Quests exist in many forms. We commonly term them as quests, mini quests, random quests and avatar quests. They are all made to add more structure to the adventuring lives of the characters. Many people have had lots of fun figuring out quests. This is what we are striving for in the quests.
Giving out quest information is illegal. This means telling someone how to do a quest as well as walking them through it when you already know how to do the quest. People partying to to do a quest for the first time is fine. There are also areas that are considered "quest-like" - this basically means there is some trick to getting out. Telling someone how to get through one of these areas will be treated the same as a true quest. If you are caught giving out quest information, you will be warned once and then rid.
You may not lead people through quest areas. If you are providing (hired mercenary) to people adventuring through quest areas you may not provide any information about the quest or specials. You will have to absorb the effects of the other character's decisions. This protection must remain at a reasonable level. If the character has no chance of surviving on his/her own and is staying alive solely by your presence this would also be considered breaking the quest rules.

5: Inter player relations/inter character relations

As an environment of people from across the global coming together to play as other beings in another world. There are obviously some interaction problems that arise. As already stated, there should be no OOG interactions here. However, RL personalities may clash over IG (In game) issues. Typically we should all act as adults and treat the others as such until they prove to be otherwise.
As characters, interactions should be based solely upon role playing reasons. OOG problems should not drive the actions of your character, nor should OOG concerns or relations. The paladin should not allow his RL girlfriend the antipaladin to slay small children without recourse, just because they are in a relationship.
Multikilling is illegal. If you kill someone who has recently died (and has not had a chance to re-equip) without provocation, that is multikilling. If the recently deceased comes back and attacks you and you kill him or her, that is not multikilling. If you are caught multikilling, you will be jailed or rid. Please note that if a person is reequipped or appears to be reequipped but not in sufficient situation to be considered "back in game" then that person is still off limits. The accepted time limit is 20 to 30 minutes after gaining back some measure of equipment. That time limit, however, is not a point at which you may simply kill them again. Just use some sense and think about how you are after you've died.
When you are under multi-killing protection you should simply attempt to re-equip and make yourself ready to re-enter the game. This is considered an OOC time. You should not RP during this time. RPing during this time would be considered back in game. Multi-kill protection is also not a shield through which you can loot, swear, insult. If you do any of this, then your multi-kill protection is lifted.
Swearing at or directly abusing someone over a public line is illegal. Excessive references to real life over public lines is bad role-playing. Your lines will be removed at the discretion of any wiz online. They may or may not be returned, also at the discretion of a wiz. If you have a problem with lines, mail law and they will make a decision.
Harassing someone in any situation is illegal. What we consider harassment is the unwanted inclusion of real life in the mud or the mud in real life. If you are 'bothered' in character, then respond in character. If you feel that it is beyond the game, then please contact a wiz.
Female characters are not entitled to help any more than male characters. A player should neither seek nor be given help simply because she is female.
Much of the fun of the game is adventuring and discovering the MUD. Part of this fun is ruined when people are given things and secrets. Proliferation of equipment to those that cannot get it, is frowned upon highly, and if you do it often, you will be punished, especially equipment given to newbies and low mids. Any equipment sold should be at a steep price. Penalties include the standards of jail and rid for multiple offenders, and desting of equipment given, and what could be seen as intended to give.

6: General Conduct

There are some common sense things that apply to any game. When playing a game of Monopoly, there is not a rule stating "Don't rob the bank" yet clearly that is not allowed. The game has a spirit about it and if you work against that spirit regardless of a direct reference to that action in the rules you are in fact breaking the rules.
You may have noticed, there was no lawyer class available. Reciting rules to the immortals and especially to LAW, will create far more ill will then anything else. I would highly advise NOT trying to play a lawyer.
Scripts and triggers are illegal. If you are caught using them, you will be warned once, then rid if you continue.
Using emotes to "talk" is illegal. If you wish to customize your speech pattern use speech. You will have your emotes taken away if you use emotes to talk. Emotes are for physical descriptios. You look at bob in wonder. You sigh quickly toward wilber.
Using the lines, or information heard on the lines, for IC actions or interactions is not allowed. typically your lines will simply be removed. If you continue to abuse the lines, we will interpret this as a refusal to play the game as intended and simply remove you.
Shouting has a warning when you use it, and you should read it sometime if you do use it. It is not necessary to shout unless it is an emergency. Wizes who are online usually listen to the lines, try asking for help there first. If you get no response, try typing who and tell a visible wiz if you need help rather than shouting. Remember, when you ask for help and are invisible, a wiz has no idea who you are.
Logging out at the 2 minute warning is expected of all characters who are in a position to log out. This means people who are not in combat and not in an area of risk of logging into combat. If you do not follow the large yellow warning you risk potential punishment and/or loss of equipment.

7: Bugs

Bugs and features are a common source of problems. Bugs fall into two major categories, things that are broken, (true bugs) or features that interact with other features in an unrealized or unforeseen manner. Some MUDs spend (literally) years testing and retesting areas, functionality etc, trying to track down the bugs. We feel that we serve the MUD better by doing the basic testing and play testing, and then allowing the populace to play in the area. We improve the MUD at a greater rate and we can let the player base help us shape things as we go more effectively. This, however, can create situations where things are broken, both for the benefit and detriment of the player. This will also introduce functionality that may conflict with other functionality. We expect players to always report these situations.
Exploiting bugs is illegal. If you think you are getting something too easily, then you probably are and it is most likely a bug. If you are not sure, ask a wiz. If you are caught exploiting a bug, you will be jailed and whatever you have gained illegally will be taken away. If you continue, you will be rid.

These rules are fished out of the way-back machine and slightly edited.

There was also a list of all the deities:

  • All players are encouraged to choose a diety to follow.
    The following dieites exist in our world:

    Akadi, Goddess of Elemental Air
    Auril, Goddess of Cold and Ice
    Cyric, God of Deception and Illusion
    Eldath, Goddess of Peace
    Grumbar, God of Elemetal Earth
    Helm, God of Guardians
    Istishia, God of Elemental Water
    Iyachtu Xvim, God of Hatred
    Kelemvor, God of Death
    Kossuth, God of Elemental Fire
    Lathander, God of Renewal and Birth
    Loviatar, Goddess of Torture
    Malar, God of Hunters
    Mask, God of Shadows
    Mielikki, Goddess of Forests
    Mystra, Goddess of Magic
    Selune, Goddess of Seekers
    Shar, Goddess of Loss
    Silvanus, God of Nature
    Talos, God of Destruction
    Tempus, God of War
    Torm, God of Protection
    Tyr, God of Justice

  •  
0