Chapter 75 – Not the Hunter, But the Prey (2)
2.7k 8 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the demon asked me to kill the leader of the robbers, I put a lot of thought into how to do it.
The easiest way was to ask Mary and the others to help me, but this method was very risky. In the first place, I barely know Mary. I couldn’t trust her with something like this.
Plus, the leader of the robbers was not an idiot. He would not risk attacking us with Mary nearby, and if we attacked him, he could just run away.
I could find a way to ambush him, but the number of people around made me discard this method. If I took the initiative to attack him, then even if I killed him, I would have a lot of trouble afterward explaining why I attacked and killed and Awakened during an emergency.
To avoid that, I needed to make him take the initiative to attack first. That way, I could later claim that I killed him in self-defense.
But, how could I make him attack me?
I just needed to show him a bait that he could not resist.
Such as separating myself from the group while escaping from the spiders.
I was sure that once the leader of the robbers saw that, he would not hesitate to chase after me.
And my guess was spot on.
When the leader of the robbers saw me running away in the opposite direction of the group while I was being chased by spiders, he thought that this was the perfect opportunity to get rid of me.
Thus, he did not hesitate to go after me.
I could feel his killing intent clearly. The prickling and ice-cold killing intent was like needles piercing my skin.
As the leader closed the distance between us, the killing intent became stronger and stronger. It was suffocating and oppressive, making my body sweat cold.
But despite being at the receiving end of his killing intent, my face remained expressionless. My eyes were like a calm lake, without a wave, observing my surroundings carefully.
I avoided the spiders constantly attacking me, using skillful movements to move through them. Occasionally, the demon warned me of an attack, helping me to avoid it in time.
Unlike me, the leader of the robbers did not bother to avoid the spiders. He simply struck any arachnid in his way, using brute force to open a path.
Thanks to that, the distance between us was slowly narrowing.
The number of spiders increased as I continued running. At this time, there were already close to twenty spiders chasing after me.
I could not survive against this many spiders for long. Right now, I was walking on a tightrope.
The slightest carelessness could be fatal.
Even though the demon had promised to guarantee my life, to be honest, I did not want to leave my life in his hands.
Just when it seemed that I could not endure much longer, I finally arrived at my destination.
The nest.
That was my goal.
The leader of the robbers stopped when he saw the next, but when he saw that I went inside it, he gritted his teeth and followed after me.
‘Good.’ My eyes narrowed. ‘Yes, come after me.’
As soon as I entered the nest, I stopped running.
Turning around, I swung my spear from left to right, attacking several spiders.
At the same time, mana surged out of my body like lava erupting from a volcano.
The sudden fluctuation of mana attracted even more spiders to my location.
And at that moment, the leader of the robbers finally appeared in front of me.
“Where are you going to run now, little rat!?”
With an expression full of hatred, he charged towards me.
I took a deep breath a suppressed my nervousness.
Then, my gaze turned sharp.
“I don’t need to run anymore.”
At that moment, the mana around me disappeared.
My eyes followed the movements of the leader of the robbers. Before he could strike me, I jumped back, calmly avoiding him.
The leader just sneered. He stomped on the ground and jumped in my direction. His movement was so fast that I could barely follow him.
Even so, I forced my body to react. Right now, I was using 120% of my ability just to evade his attacks!
But as though to laugh at my efforts, his movements suddenly became faster.
In an instant, he was twice as fast as before!
The sudden change in speed caught me by surprise. Flustered, I could only use the shaft of my spear to try to stop his attack.
*Bam!*
His fist struck my spear, creating a shockwave that blew everything one meter around us away. The power behind his strike was so strong that I felt as though my arms were going to break.
Unable to resist his attack, I was flung away.
But when the leader of the robbers was about to rush towards me to deal the finishing blow, a spider jumped towards him.
The robber frowned. He used his elbow to hit the spider’s head, crushing it instantly. Then, he looked in my direction.
But at that moment, the robber frowned.
He noticed that the number of spiders in the surroundings was too high.
There were over thirty spiders around us, using their blood-red eyes to look at him.
The robber’s eyes narrowed. However, his expression immediately became ruthless.
“Is this your plan? Perhaps are you planning to use the spiders to die with me?” He asked indifferently.
I did not reply and just used the back of my hand to wipe off the blood from my mouth.
Then, stood up and looked at him expressionlessly.
My body felt heavy and my mind felt dizzy, but my mind was clearer than that.
‘You are mistaken, I won’t die here.’ I mouthed these words silently.
At that moment, the robber finally realized that something was wrong.
His last attack had sent me flying several meters away, and there were several spiders in that direction.
But for some reason, none of the spiders seemed to have noticed me.
Instead, every one of them was staring at him fixedly.
“You…” The robber pupils contracted.
I smiled.
‘Did you finally notice it?’ I mouthed these words as my lips curved up in a playful smile.
Right now, I'm using Confidence to hide my presence from the spiders. In other words, the robber is the only human here.
To the spiders, he is their enemy. And to me, the spiders have turned into my allies.
Now is my turn to counterattack.
Grinning, I pointed my spear toward the robber.
In the next instant, the spiders jumped toward him.
And I attacked after them.

107