B3 — 58. The Interview
97 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV:  Last chapter for Maria Espinar before we're back with Rachel

Recap:

Maria met the two Legendkin and Mythinkin that were supposedly going to pick a fight with them.  Turns out, it was actually an apology, and we got to meet Cahira, a Legendkin modeled after a Pirate Queen.

Maria scared off the burly dwarf with the power of sunlight.  The boar Mythickin had a date to get to ... okay.   Now, Cahira wants to get OUT of L.A., and who can blame her after the way she's been treated?

Now, we go to some relaxation before the Interview!

I want to thank my patrons for continuing to support me:

Master of Bunnies, Bassfreek, Grant Woodley, Griffin Avra, KazukiNero, M.G. Porombka, and my other Patrons!


Maria stood beside Cahira as the others were scattered across the deck, watching the ocean, and even Clay seemed to have loosened up a bit.

Selvaria dipped below the surface, leaving her baby seal onboard to allow her some freedom to speed up to feast on the marlin around the area.  Maria saw the little guy lying next to Jasper’s feet, big black eyes staring up at him while he examined the waves with Reed by his side, discussing something.

Vasishtha and Ohan were near the front, apparently playing some kind of spotting game with how many seagulls they could see, trying to distract each other with various jokes while making bets.

The scene relaxed Maria’s tight muscles; everything had continued to build up her stress over the past few days, but things were working out.  All she had left was this interview, then she’d go home, see her brother, and start making plans for a better future with her Miami family.

Taking in the salted sea air, she smiled, feeling the breeze tickle her neck as it pulled back her braided hair.  She was getting used to wearing heels on the deck, and it seemed the Pirate Queen’s vessel had some kind of internal stabilization affix because it wasn’t all that bad on her stomach.

Cahira glanced over at her, flaming hair dancing behind the Queen.  “... What be on yer mind?”

Maria looked up at the sails, watching them shift with Cahira’s subconscious desires.  “Me?  A lot’s changed for me, ya know?  I mean, how ‘bout you?”

“Eh … ta be honest, mi plans haven’t been workin’ out too well, as of late,” she replied, but there was a soft smile on her lips.  “It be a wee bit frustratin’, but not like tis been all bad.  I came to da U.S. a week-and-a-half ago ta purchase a ship.”

“No way?”  Maria’s eyebrows lifted at the information.  “Not this one, though, right?  You said this thing started out as a rowboat … dang, that’s a big change,” she mumbled, studying the sleek design.

“Meh,” Cahira grunted, shrugging her shoulders before spinning the wheel around and yelling, “We’ll be headin’ back, Clay.  Tis about the time, no?”

Clay turned to stare at them.  “... Yeah, that would be best.  What about Selvaria?”

“She’ll be headin’ in with us, I assume,” Cahira replied, brushing back her hair as they shifted directions.  “We’ll find’er on da shore.”

He nodded, turning his gaze back to the waves.

Cahira’s voice softened to a normal volume.  “I sold all I was worth back in Ireland, hopin’ ta get the boat and take to the sea … been savin’ long and hard, but … wasn’t meant to be, I suppose.”

Maria’s brow furrowed as she walked back to lean against the railing.  “The deal fall through?”

“Could say that,” Cahira mumbled.  “In any case, I found miself here, a bit lost with what ta do next, and not a craft that did what I wanted on the market … then lights lit up the sky, and I got mi first taste of ownin’ mi own boat.”

She paused, head turning to study the rising and falling waves around them.  “I was on the seas a day before the Coast Guard picked mi up, and mi boat was comin’ along by that time … was fishin’ the entire day and night … too happy ta stop.”

Not wanting to pry too deeply into the woman’s past, Maria gave her an out.  “... Huh … eh, what about this ship?”  She smirked, resting both arms across the guard to her back.  “You’ve been upgrading it, huh?  I see those cannons over there … how does it all work?”

Cahira’s lips lifted to the right while following her gaze.  “Ah, mi ships?”

“Ships?”  Maria lifted an eyebrow.  “Ya got more than this?”

“Well, not exactly,” Cahira giggled, stroking the polished wood of the wheel in her hands.  “Mi abilities work in a-bunch-o tiers.  There be many types of vessels I can create and upgrade, but this be the only girl under mi care at the moment.  I’ve been sinkin’ every bit of points I can into her.”

“She … right,” Maria mumbled, glancing down at the deck.  “What’s up with ships always being called she?”

“Ah, well, it’s about the protection she brings … like a mother, carryin’ her babes to safety,” she whispered with a fond smile.  “I have other skills I can upgrade…”

Cahira raised a hand, and out of similar flames, birthed a shiny flintlock pistol before twirling it around her fingers.  It soon vanished before other weapons appeared in her grip, dispersing in wisps just as quickly as they came.  “I got mi pistol, of course … mi pike, mi ax, mi rifle, knife, and mi cutlass.”

Maria’s eyes examined each object as she named them with a grin.  “Freak, girl, your packin’, and ya can just pull them outta nowhere!”

“Eh … well, not like they’re all that useful, ta be honest.  I haven’t put much points in em; well, except for the pike when I was fishin’ for experience; divin’ down to hunt the fishes.  Once I got mi cannons, then it was easier to catch the big targets like the seals and marlin,” she mumbled, glancing down at Selvaria’s little pet as it aimlessly moved up and down the deck.

“Sick, that’s pretty awesome, though!”  Maria grinned, noticing they were nearing the port again; dozens of people took pictures of their boat from other vessels or onshore.  “How do the upgrades work?”

The Pirate Queen hummed softly, steering them around obstacles near the harbor.  “... I just want it … or that’s how it works as far as I know.  I kill things, store up points, and the ship becomes bigger.”

“Ah,” Maria nodded.  “Okay, that makes sense.  I mean, there’s Trees and Branches you can probably go into for other things, too?”

“Trees and Branches?”  Cahira repeated, brow furrowing as her lips pulled in.  “What do ya mean?”

Maria did a quick explanation of what Rachel and the gang had discovered; apparently, the other two Legendkin had good ears because they soon came over to join them.  There were several specific questions asked by each in regards to being able to manually change things, which made Maria aware that she could turn off the automatic point assignment system.

The three Legendkin explained that they each had multiple trees, but with the time they had before touching land, Cahira was the only one able to explain hers.

The Pirate Queen had a Crew, Ship, Personal Weapons, and Treasure Tree.  Maria wasn’t sure exactly how a Legendkin’s Primary Tree fit into the equation since Maria only had the one, but Cahira and the others seemed to now be pondering on the system as they privately explored it.

Since her Race was Pirate Queen and Kind was Grace O’Malley, she seemed to be funneled into a particular way of upgrading; even though she had multiple Trees, they centered around her Race of a ruler of the seas.

It went without saying, the fire-haired woman’s Primary Tree was her ships’, and she said there were several variants that could be created for different functions.

Her Crew Tree could be used to summon people to help manage her ships and fight for her, which would essentially be connected to a particular vessel she assigned them to.  It would mitigate the stress she’d been experiencing on her mind and body by independently controlling everything on her craft.

The Crew did require pay, food, and drinks to be efficient and could even refuse to work if morale was low or vanish altogether, abandoning her and losing any upgrades they’d acquired.

The Treasure Tree was a resource-based function that allowed her to receive certain goods from her kills to upgrade and maintain her crew, ship, and weapons.  Below the deck, a treasure room stored certain items that Cahira obtained when killing creatures or that could appear when discovering new areas.

One of the more exciting aspects of her ability was the accumulation of gold; it couldn’t leave her personal store, and there was a limit that her ships could each hold, but it could even be converted to experience points.  However, her Crew would require a weekly price, while food and drinks helped with morale.

Everything from her crews’ weapons, clothes to personal health items could be purchased through some kind of pirate’s shop that constantly moved locations, and she had to follow an ever-changing map to get to the place to use her gold.

On the downside, if her ship was destroyed or someone broke in and tried to leave with the booty, it would vanish and be lost forever.  They slowed to a stop when Cahira talked about her Branches, expression thoughtful while pondering the possibilities.

“... All that information is wild, Maria … I was aimin’ fer an Air function ta take off anywhere I pleased,” she mused.  “There’s so much ta consider … I guess I need ta find this Pirate’s Cove ta hire mi Crew.”

Maria’s eyes widened as a squeal left Cahira’s throat, and she left the wheel to give her a bear hug, lifting her off the ground.  “Thank’ya so much, Maria!”

She coughed in response; the Pirate Queen had a lot more strength than her body implied.  “An … an Air Ship?”

Vasishtha cleared his throat, giving them an appraising look as Cahira squeezed her.  “... Eh, Maria … huh, aye, can Branches link together?  I wouldn’t mind a hug, by the way.”

“Uh … yeah, no, I’m good,” Maria said with a forced smile when Cahira released her.

“I could toss ya over the deck if yer that desperate for a woman’s touch,” Cahira winked.

“... Hmm, tempting,” Vasishtha mused.  “Very tempting, but perhaps another time; I do love a strong woman.”

Cahira just laughed at his response.

Maria hummed, adjusting her dress.  “I think you can link Branches … Scarlet’s two Trees have a linked Branch,” she mumbled.  “I mean, she’s the only one of us that has two Trees, though,” Maria reasoned, glancing toward the ramp that appeared after their stop.

“Interesting,” Ohan whispered, pondering his own options.

She was a little surprised to see Cahira move to pick up the baby seal as everyone got ready to disembark, carrying it off the vessel.

Ohan cleared his throat while they left the boat, returning to dry land.  “What did it do to her Branches?”

A light shrug lifted Maria’s shoulders, but her attention was pulled away as a gasp swept the crowd on the dock; she followed the peoples’ gaze to see a boat-sized black body under the waves weaving toward the shore, and causing the sea’s movements to change course.

Worried looks swept the throng as the shape swiftly disappeared, shrinking until rippling water was all that was left of the massive creature.

Cahira stepped off her boat, nudged her head to the end of the docks while petting the cooing seal; it vanished with a light roar of cold flames, causing the throng’s gaze to snap back to them with more gasps and slack jaws.

For the most part, Maria and the others ignored the groups.

“Aye, Selvaria will be comin’ up to shore.”

Clay eyed the people around them, clearly waiting for something more mysterious to happen, and upon hearing the Pirate Queen’s statement, turned his gaze to the beach.  “Alright, let’s hurry.”

They made their way there with Clay in the lead, Reed and Jasper talking lowly to one another about possibly having someone transport Reed’s yacht to Florida.  Jasper seemed willing to do it for a vacation ride with his family.

Ohan, Cahira, and Vasishtha had retreated into their own minds, more than likely struggling with the stupid System that wouldn’t tell you everything until it was basically compelled by specific questioning.  By their expressions, they were making more progress than she’d first experienced.

Maria’s mind was filled with the possibilities of Cahira’s abilities and what it could mean in the long run as her mind projected images from pirate movies, fleets of silently moving ships emerging from dense fog.

However, her mind went blank upon seeing Selvaria exiting the water; the little teenage girl was no longer a small teenage girl.

Selvaria was naked after her transformation, and her scales had receded, showing more while still keeping a form of skin-tight black plated bra and shorts.  Her alabaster skin was smooth and glistening from the liquid falling off her as she casually left the water, and somehow, her soaked hair seemed to absorb the moisture, skin following soon after to dry herself.

She was about as tall as Maria, and the Leviathan’s proportions had increased dramatically, showing off an alluring figure that was only slightly smaller than Cahira or herself.

The most shocking part of the whole event was to see the woman dragging her feet out of the muddy shore with every step sinking several inches, but without slowing, Selvaria pressed on.

Maria couldn’t help but gawk at the girl turned woman.  “Aye … yo, Cahira … is that really that lil’ girl, Selvaria?”

“Hmm?”  Cahira giggled as they waited for the mythical creature.  “She be her, alright.  I was taken aback when I saw how tiny she’d become.  Guess bein’ without water really cuts her down to size, eh?”  She asked Ohan and Vasishtha as the seal squirmed in her arms upon seeing the Leviathan.

Vasishtha grinned while watching the woman’s slow march.  “Indeed!  Looks like she’s gained back all that weight, too, hehe.”

“Weight?”  Maria asked with a lifted eyebrow, and at first, she thought he was talking about her bust, thighs, and butt because her waist was slightly thinner than her own, but upon seeing the woman’s feet pound into the wet sand, she realized what he was talking about.

Ohan nodded, paying more attention to the crowd than the scale-bikini monster girl rising out of the ocean.  “Selvaria’s been losing weight rapidly over the past few days.  She said it was fine … obviously, it was a lie.”

The Leviathan wore a pleasant smile that brightened her previously dull expression, making her far more lovely.  “Hey, Ohan, Cahira, Vasishtha,” she chimed.  “I’m feeling a lot better.  Thank you, Maria.”

Maria followed every squelching sound her feet made, but it soon evened out as she made it to dry sand; the wet mud fell away as the liquid was sucked out, absorbing into Selvaria’s body.  “Uh … yeah.  You look … different.”

Selvaria’s eyes lowered to study her body before taking Galatea from Cahira.  “Umm … yeah, I should probably get some clothes,” she mumbled, cheeks darkening a little.  “I don’t really like the plates if I can help it … it makes people look at me weird.”

Vasishtha chuckled, pointing his finger.  “The sapphire horns, spikes, eyes, and glowing red and blue hair stand out enough.”

“I know,” Selvaria mumbled, trying not to look at the crowd taking pictures.  “Umm … can I get some clothes?”  She asked Clay with a pleading smile.

Reed spoke up.  “Ms. Espinar, would it be alright to allow her the use of one of the dresses we brought?”

“Dresses?”  Maria asked, eyeing him suspiciously.  “What dresses?”

“There were several that were prepared to your size during the photo shoot,” he explained without a hint of shame.  “I thought it would be a waste to allow such work to go without use, so I told Tempest’s on-site agent that you’d wear them another time.”

Jasper piped up with a smile.  “They’re in the trunk of the limo.”

“Of course, they are,” Maria mumbled, scratching her scalp while trying not to mess-up her waterfall braid.  “Uh … yeah, sure.”

Selvaria’s eyes lit up.  “Are you positive?  Umm … would it be okay for me to still hold Galatea?”

Maria shrugged.  “Why not?  I mean, I think we’re almost the same size.”

The Leviathan gave her a sharp-fanged, toothy grin that was more pretty than cute with her current figure.  “Thank you!”

They soon were ushered up to the limo by Clay as time was running out, but when they took out the white and gray dress, a glaring problem was suddenly discovered, her long, girthy tail.

However, Vasishtha, showing his resourcefulness, walked them through the process of how to swap the zipper to the opposite direction, allowing her tail just the right amount of wiggle room while zipping it down rather than up.  Her plated chest made for an interesting bra impression, but it seemed to add to the aesthetic.

They had to shift around in the limo since Selvaria’s weight had dramatically increased, putting a lot more stress on the tires, but thankfully, they didn’t pop on their way to the network station.

When Maria arrived, she was rushed up to meet the anchor with only ten minutes for the make-up team to glance over her, but with a few quick adjustments to her hair, she was ready to go out while the others waited in back; security was more than a little nervous of Selvaria, eyeing her dangerous looking tail as it flicked back and forth, generating a slight wind current with the blade-like fin.

They were a little late, but Clay let the station know.  Jack Harris had started his segment with a brief overview of Demi and the known types before introducing her as the next guest.

“... With the mystery of this change continues to unfold, we have with us in the studio one of the myths among the Demi.  Maria Espinar, also known to some as Washington’s Saving Grace, the nation’s Sunlit Unicorn joins us, a The Status Report exclusive … after this short break.”

When the red light turned off, she was directed on stage; Maria saw that crew gawking at her as she took her position.  The host fiddled a little with his tablet while sitting in a large brown leather chair as she entered, going over some of the points his team had updated.

When she sat, his lips parted into a handsome grin, reaching over to shake her hand.  “Maria Espinar, it’s a pleasure to meet you.  I’m Jack Harris.  Have you seen the show?”

Jack was cleanly shaven with a strong face and fit build that filled out his slim suit.  He wore a solid light brown tie, and his thick dark brown hair was swept to the side.  Everything from his eyebrows to his fingernails looked manicured and tapered to perfection.

“Hey, umm, no, I haven’t.”  Maria returned the shake.  “So, uh … what’s the deal?”

His brow lifted, showing the charming smile news hosts were known for.  “Did no one tell you how this would go down?”

“Well, kind of,” Maria replied with a forced chuckle.  “You’ll just be askin’ me questions, right?”

Jack adjusted his position.  “It’ll be a bit more than that, dear.  I’m here to see what Mythickin are all about.  We’ve had almost no opportunity to have one of you on … I see you brought more friends?”  He asked with a lifted eyebrow, glancing past her.

Maria followed her gaze, watching Selvaria happily adding a small gold-colored tie around Galatea’s neck as it sniffed her.  “Yeah … just some new friends.”

“I see,” he said with a thoughtful hum.  “Would those happen to be the Legendkin and Mythickin we’ve heard about at the FBI field office?”

“Umm,” Maria’s forced smile faltered a little, the butterflies in her stomach fluttering as the woman gave an indicator that they’d be going live in fifteen seconds.  “I think it would be better to ask them.”

Jack leaned back with a nod, turning to face the camera, and upon the woman’s direction, started speaking.  “We’re back, and as you can see, we have a lovely mythical woman on the show.  Maria, could you tell us a little about what it’s like to be a Mythickin?”

Maria tried to relax, crossing her legs and adjusting her dress a little.  “Uh, yeah, sure … let’s see, umm … well, I mean, it sucks that I can’t lie,” she laughed, trying to ease her own tension.

“Huh, is that so?”  Jack asked, brow creasing as he sat forward.  “You’re saying that The Oscillation has changed you in a manner that forces you to tell the truth?”

“Yup!”  She chuckled.  “I can’t lie, and I can detect lies.  It’s helped a lot, actually; ya know?  I mean, it’s crazy how many times people tell lies in a day.”

“Except for you, right?”  Jack laughed.

“Yeah, kind of forced not to,” she replied with a smile.

“Wow … that’s some information we didn’t have,” he noted with an amused grin, staring down at his tablet.  “Okay … so, tell us about your powers.  What abilities did The Oscillation give you as a Sunlit Unicorn, and pardon me if this is rude, but where is your horn?”

“Ah,” she pointed at her forehead as her luminescent energy horn appeared.  “It comes out when I use some of my skills.”

Jack studied the radiant energy with a curious grin.  “Fascinating … does it serve a specific function?”

“Well, yeah, anyone inside its light can be healed.”

“Is that right?”  Jack asked, sitting back with a hum.  “Is there anything wrong with me?”

“Uh … well,” Maria gave him a critical eye; out of several minor things, Peyronie's disease was one of them.  “Ya sure ya want me to say it?”

“Of course!”  Jack replied without a hint of doubt on his face.

“... That’s a lie,” Maria mumbled.  “I guess, uh … well, that’s awkward, huh?”  She forced a chuckle.

His smile fell a little.  “Huh.  Well, I guess there might be some things I’d rather not discuss about my own medical history.  So … you can really tell everything that’s wrong with anyone you meet?”

Maria’s hands tightened around each other.  “Yo, umm, mi chico, I mean, hehe, I can’t lie, for real!  Anything I can cure or purify to some degree, I can sense.  It’s kind of embarrassing; for real, though,” she sighed, rubbing her arm.  “I don’t want to know most the stuff happenin’ in peoples’ bodies.”

“So … you can cure me of all those medical problems that you sensed?”  He asked with a grin.

“Eh … yeah, I could…”

“Hmm,” he leaned back with a deep frown.  “Why the hesitation?  Wouldn’t you feel good about helping to improve someone else’s life?”

“... Yo, I do what I can, okay?  Plus, why should I get involved with other peoples’ lives?  I’ve got my own problems to deal with.”

“Is that right?  Well, why don’t we move to another topic … people have started referring to those that were changed in The Oscillation as Demi, short for Demi-Human.  What are your thoughts on such a term?”

“Uh,” Maria glanced over at a woman as she made a few gestures to another man before returning to Jack.  “I mean, it’s whatever.  It’s no different than calling me Latino, right?”

“Latino … you are Latino, then?”  Jack asked while examining her suspiciously.

“Yes?”  Maria slowly replied.  “Look, just because my skin shines white doesn’t mean I ain’t Latino, dude.  Why everyone be lookin’ skin deep…”

“Please, language, Ms. Espinar,” he calmly replied.  “It’s just … I mean, you can’t expect people to believe you’re Latino when you literally glow white,” he chuckled.

“... Do you want me to just speak Spanish?”  She asked, swapping languages with a lifted eyebrow.

He responded in a half-decent Spanish accent, which wasn’t surprising for California.  “No, that won’t be necessary.  Most of our viewers are English speaking.”

Returning to English, Maria shrugged.  “Aye, my whole family is Latino; my dad was born in Mexico, same as my mom.  I got a lotta family in Cali,” she said, giving the camera a V-sign.  “Yo, we got a party happenin’ after this.  Finally get to see the Cali crew after a few years, ya know?”

“Sounds nice,” Jack smoothly replied.  “So, no issues with being called Demi?”

Maria popped her tongue, starting to feel more comfortable.  “Well, if someone’s talkin’ to me, then callin’ me Demi instead of my name would be pretty insulting, ya know?  It’s like someone goin’ around callin’ every Mexican, hey, Latino … what, can’t learn their name?  Naw, Demi’s fine if we’re goin’ by identifying a group, but don’t be a,” she caught herself, “... uh, don’t be insulting about it, ya know?”

“Of course, of course,” Jack chuckled.  “Huh … I just thought you’d be a little more offended by the term.”

“Aye, need to call us somethin’, right?”  Maria grunted.  “Demi’s not bad.  Sounds kind of sick if we’re goin’ street slang, huh?”  She grinned, snapping her fingers.  “Aye, sup, Demi?  Eh?”

“Sure … so, what can you tell us about yesterday’s incident where you were rushed out of the hospital?  There were several reports, and we’ve got multiple recordings of your military escort heading to the airfield.  There’s also a record of a jet taking off … it seems that same jet touched down here in L.A., too.  Were you on it?”

“Oof,” Maria sucked in a breath.  “No can do, mi hombre.”

“I see … what about all those other people in Washington?  Not only did you leave without notifying anyone, but it just so happened to come after Billionaire, Paul Reed’s grandson, was miraculously cured of his heart disease.  Are you saying you didn’t have a hand in that?”

“Uh … I’m not sayin’ that,” Maria hesitantly replied.

“So, you did cure him.  Why did you leave right after the fact?  Was that the end of some kind of deal made between you and Paul Reed?  Did you care about the others you left uncured?”

“Aye, what are ya sayin’?”  Maria asked, her brow creasing.  “Do you know how many people I healed yesterday?”

Jack’s lips pulled back with a light shake of his head.  “... Many would say, not enough.”

“Aye, what’s up with that?”  Maria growled.  “You expect me to just cure the world?  What, dedicate my life to runnin’ around being people’s god?”

“Do you see yourself as a god?”  Jack pushed.

“No.  The only God I serve is Christ, yo.”

Jack’s mouth dropped open, tongue pressing against his lower lip.  “Wait, Christ … you’re … Christian?”  He asked with an incredulous smile.

“Yeah, what’s wrong with that?”  Maria challenged.  “Yo, God’s been there for me when no one was.  No lie.”

“It’s just … you’re a Unicorn, talking about Jesus Christ.  That’s just … don’t you think that’s a little crazy?  Do you think Jesus made you a Unicorn?”

Maria already knew where he was going with this; she’d dealt with people trying to tell her how to live or laughing at her beliefs before.  “I don’t know, and it doesn’t really matter to me.  Could Jesus do it?  Yeah, I have no doubt, yo.  Did God do it?  I don’t know.  It is what it is, and I may not be perfect, but I know he is.”

The look on Jack’s face said that this was rich.  “... A Christian Unicorn,” he mumbled with an impressed smirk.  “Okay, now I can say I’ve seen it all.  If you are Christian, then are you following the example of Christ and healing everyone free of charge?  Do you think he gave you a mission to do it?”

Her mood was dropping rapidly.  “God’s got a mission for everyone, Jack … that doesn’t mean ya gonna follow it.  We all got our agency, and we all gonna sin.  Will I heal every punk that comes up to me, lookin’ for handouts?  No.  I ain’t God, and I sure as heck don’t have love for every pop-sucker that walks up to me demandin’ my life.  I’ll heal who I wanna, and if someone’s got the money, then bet your tail, I’m gonna charge the dude.”

“... And you can’t lie?”  Jack asked with a wry smile.

“I said it already, didn’t I?  Are you mocking me for my religion?  ‘Cause that’s a messed-up move, hombre.”

Jack folded his hands across his lap.  “Let’s move to another topic … we have eye witness reports that you were present when a few dozen gang members were brutally murdered in Miami.  Why didn’t you stop that or heal them?”

Maria’s jaw locked as she glared at the man.  “... Why aren’t you sayin’ what else happened there?”

“Couldn’t you answer the question, please, Ms. Espinar?  Did you kill any of those men?”

“... No.”

“You just watched it happen, then.  Did you encourage it?”

“Child molesters … human-traffickers … rapists … using child shields, and eating kids … yeah, I was not gonna let those monsters torture and murder more people.”

“... Huh, but those are just your allegations against them, correct?”

“... You’re sayin’ I’m lying about that?”  Maria asked, chest burning at the accusation.  “I’m lying about watchin’ kids being strapped to tanks … knives to their throat, and guns to their heads?”

Jake closed his eyes with a huff.  “I’m just saying that what we do know is that you admitted to being an accomplice to the crimes…”

Maria shot forward, fist smashing into the man’s nose and sending him flying off the couch.  Gasps were echoed around the room as the security team ran over to get between them.

“... Mr. Harris!”

Maria spat on his foot, face twisted with rage.  “The heck do you know about seeing that crap?  Screw you!”

She shoved the security guard next to her out of the way as the rest gave her a path back to the room and threw out a few more curses in Spanish before yelling,  “Interview over!”

“... He’s knocked out cold … his face,” one of the men mumbled, staring after her.  “Call a medic.”

“Aye, do that,” Maria shouted, “cause I ain’t healin’ ‘em!”

Vasishtha, Selvaria, Ohan, Cahira, Jasper, and Reed were all clapping as she stormed off the set; the staff were pale-faced.  Even Galatea’s small fins were attempting to follow everyone’s example, golden tie swaying around her neck.

“Excellent right hook, Ms. Espinar,” Jasper praised.

Vasishtha snickered.  “I just can’t believe he didn’t see that coming!”

“Without a doubt,” Ohan replied, staring around them at the man.

Clay seemed a bit troubled but nodded, motioning for them to go.  “Well, I can say that will resonate with a lot of people.  Although, you might get some heat from his loyal fans.”

“Please,” Maria huffed as they fell in line with her, “what are keyboard warriors gonna do?  I don’t play with that.  Insult me, whatever, but then he goes telling me that?  No … freak, no,” Maria mumbled, remembering the chat she had with Fiona about her time in their cage, but also feeling a tad guilty for breaking her promise to the Fairy about the S-word.  Still, she had no doubt her friend would approve.

They left the building, Selvaria having to take the elevator herself again to stay within the weight limit, and Reed called his lawyer to get in touch with the news station.  Once inside the limo, they made their way to the local Walmart to pick up all the supplies they’d need for the family fiesta.

A military officer met them to give Maria the debit card to the account they set up for her, doing a few authorizations through phone and digital signatures before he left, and was a little shocked that the full amount Reed had promised was already inside.

30.1 million deposited, including the amount Tom had given for their work on the portal, made her ears burn when the banking lady reported the amount in her name.

Reed smiled at her.  “Ah, I’ve already put aside the taxed amount in the savings; my accountants figured out the proper number to give you the full amount I promised.”

Feeling a little overwhelmed while standing in front of the Walmart produce section with dozens of slow-moving people eyeing the strange group, Maria hugged the elderly man with tears coming to her eyes.

“... Thank’s, Reed … thanks, so much.”

“Y-Yeah,” Reed chuckled, awkwardly patting her waterfall braids.  “It’s really I that should be thanking you … I’ve never seen my grandson so healthy.”

“Aww,” Cahira cooed.  “Wow, you guys are all so adorable!  I really like the atmosphere you bring, Maria.”

Ohan smiled, watching the moment as Vasishtha danced around the aisles, snatching fruits and vegetables on his way while loading up the five carts they’d brought out.

Clay was still on the phone with Tom, and from what Maria could hear, it had to do with a big White House press conference that would be happening in two days.  She had more important things to deal with, so she tuned it out and went about piling up the carts with the others.

“Yo, it’s all on me today, homies!”  Maria grinned, sniffing back her tears and cleaning her wet face.  “Grab whatever, ‘casuse we party!”

After getting everything they wanted, the group made it to the old field she used to play in as a kid, and sure enough, the place was packed with every family member in the state.

It had been so long since she’d seen some of them that she didn’t even recognize many, but had a blast throughout the night, dancing, eating, and talking.  Once night fell, they hopped in the classic cars, cruising the streets, and even though she couldn’t get drunk, she had one of the best nights of her life, hanging out with family.

The Legendkin and Selvaria each attracted their own group, playing with kids, drinking ungodly amounts of alcohol, or dancing with all the local women that decided to crash the party, but Maria had anticipated it, bringing plenty of extra food and kegs.

As the night closed out, Maria said goodbye to her relatives, telling them to come out east sometime while slipping two million in her grandmother’s bank account to help distribute to the family in need on the low.

Back in the limo, Selvaria was already asleep, taking the bodyguard’s position, and Maria cured Ohan’s severe alcohol sickness.  Apparently, Vasishtha was a little salty about Ohan stealing a kiss from Cahira that he obviously didn’t remember, and Cahira only laughed at the whole event.

The Pirate Queen had more than drunk two dozen challengers under the table, and even Vasishtha was feeling the heat when they’d finally run out of booze.

Selvaria played with the kids and her seal, running around having water fights that her team always won with the occasional gallons of saltwater she’d generate seemingly out of nowhere to crash down on people’s heads.  Unsurprisingly, she’d lost a bit of volume in the process, but with the promise of daily ocean trips, she was free to run wild with it to her heart’s content.

Reed and Jasper also needed some alcohol sickness purification treatment after being dragged into the Pirate Queen’s vicious crucible.  Vasishtha actually was getting somewhat flushed after his bold challenge with the promise of a kiss that Maria knew he’d probably never get from the fire-haired beauty.

Clay’s family had made an appearance later, and he’d seen them off when it was time to go; his wife was a bit overweight but pretty, and his son was more than a little intimidated by her when his father introduced him.  He’d spent most of the time trying not to gawk at her, clearly attracted to her looks, but sadly, he didn’t draw Maria’s eye in that way.

Cahira was smiling when they entered, but her grin had slowly fallen since; it seemed the enormous amount of alcohol she’d dropped into her bottomless pit of a stomach, or at least, it had to be an empty void because her thin belly was just as curved as it was the first time Maria saw her, and she knew the Pirate Queen was dreading the following day.

Tom told Clay that the decision would be made in the morning, and if it passed, she’d be flown out immediately.  She wanted to comfort the woman but also couldn’t lie and tell her everything would work out when she wasn’t sure at that moment.

“Hey,” Maria whispered, nudging her side.

Cahira’s luminant blue irises moved to her, hands resting in her lap.  “Mmh?”

“Even if you don’t fly out, I’ll come visit, and it’s not like they can keep you here indefinitely, right?”

“Hehe, who knows,” Cahira mumbled, taming her hair for no particular reason.  “I never planned to stay in the U.S., but … maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if I were with people like you.  I’ve … no one’s ever just … ya know, pulled mi in and asked mi to join em.”

“With looks like yours?”  Vasishtha asked with surprise.

“Well … we all weren’t pretty before the change, now were we?”  Cahira mumbled.  “What Maria be sayin’ be true … the desires of the heart determine the change.”

“Aye,” Maria winked, “ya left an impression on me, and it’s not because of your new looks, okay?  Wish I could have met ya before The Oscillation.  Ya were a blast to have around, ya know?”

“Thanks … let’s pray we can go on more adventures together, eh?”

“Aye, that’s what I’m talkin’ about!”

They dropped Cahira off at the FBI building before heading to the airport.  Getting on Reed’s private jet, they all fell asleep on the trip back to Miami.


SME's Request:

I hope you've been enjoying the free entertainment!  The internet is divided into different echo-chambers; you have a specific group that only hovers around specific sites/content.  So, by recommending my serials to others, you give it more exposure to different echo-chambers and help it grow.  Ratings are excellent, Trending is terrific, but it only will appeal to a specific echo-chamber.  If you like my content, then please share it in your own unique way.

Thank you!  ^_^7

Normal Plugs:

Discord Link - Growing Community =D

Vote on Top Web Fictions

View and help contribute to the Wiki

Support me on Patreon for up to:

5 Chapters ahead in A Tail's Misfortune.

11 Chapters in The Oscillation.

10 Chapters in Undying Empire.

10 Chapters in the Pokemon Fanfic

All pictures are up for free download on Patreon with the artist I commissioned listed.

3