Chapter 42 – Faint of heart
513 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Emma POV)

"Good thing our cloaks are weather-resistant," as we were sailing down a river on Drum island I couldn't help but admire the clothes Bell-mere created.

"Of course, Mom, Nami, and I worked hard to sew them, just you wait until we reach a desert island, they'll be lifesavers there as well."

"That's great since our next stop will be a desert island." 

At the front of the ship where Kuina practiced, Monet snapped her head in my direction then deformed.

"You're joking right?" Before she was fully reformed she had already asked the question I was expecting.

"KYAKYAKYA, sorry." 

Just as she fully formed she fell to her knees while she looked at the floor. 

"Do you hate it that much?" 

"Of course, that's my natural weakness, my ability would basically be useless in an environment like that." 

Walking next to her I crouched, patted her on the shoulder, and then I stood back up before I walked inside the ship and towards the library. 'She'll be ok.' 

Once I got to my destination I opened the door and peeked inside to find my target. "Robin, we should be nearing a town soon, although it's just a guess." 

As she closed the book she was reading she looked up at me while wearing a smile. "I had an idea for later tonight, prepare yourself."

Now it was my turn to smile as I closed the door behind me. "I can't wait, let's hurry to find the nearest town so we can do it in a castle." 

She stood up and put the book back on the shelf before she walked up to me, her lips now pressed against mine. After a few minutes, we separated and put on our masks, walking back onto the deck, hand in hand.

"Now we're just waiting on Reiju and Law," Just as we walked onto the ship we heard Monet's teasing voice.

'She has a pretty fast recovery speed.'

"Law probably plans on separating from us so that he can treat the citizens of this island, I'm sure Reiju is getting in all she can before he's too busy." 

"Oh, I didn't think about that, I'll go knock on their door when we get ready to leave the ship." Before Monet could go back to Kuina's side a voice came from behind Robin and me, stopping her in her tracks.

"No need to do that, we're finished." Just like Robin and I, Reiju and Law came onto the deck, hand in hand.

"Good, everyone is here, Monet, can you search for the nearest town?" 

She didn't respond for a few seconds but when she did she raised her hand to point towards the distance. "We need to keep going for a few hundred meters, once there if we jump off the left side of the ship and head straight we will find the nearest town." 

Her explanation made Nami start to clap. "The snow really improves your ability, that's amazing." 

After being praised Monet tilted her chin in the air. "Of course I am, isn't Kuina so lucky to have someone like me love her." 

"L-love?" As soon Kuina stuttered on that word Monet appeared behind her, her hands over Kuina's special region. 

"Yes, Love. Don't you love me too?" As she asked this she started to massage where her hands were, in turn making Kuina squirm as her face became red.

"Y-yes, I l- love you tMhn," Before she could finish Monet had taken her mouth. After a second Monet separated and then picked up the blushing Kuina into her arms. 

"Stop in 200 more meters, you all know the rest already, Kuina and I will catch up." Without waiting for anyone to reply she dashed inside the ship as Kuina tried to hide her face from us.

Suddenly I could hear someone scoff, turning to face the person I found Sugar glaring at the closed door they just walked through. 'She'll understand eventually.'

"Is that fine?" Hearing Law I turned to find him pointing at the same door.

"Yeah, Monet should be able to catch up to us pretty fast, this is her turf after all." After he heard my response he shrugged his shoulders, seemingly not caring anymore.

Once we traveled 200 more meters we anchored the ship before everyone jumped onto the snow-filled land. "This will be annoying to trudge through." 

Hearing Nami complain gave me an idea as I faced Robin. "Hold out both your arms." 

Doing as I asked, Robin let go of my hand then held out her arms. As soon as she did I jumped into them.

"What are you-" Before she could finish I put a finger over her mouth. 

"I agree with Nami." Just as I said this I used my ability to carry everyone slightly off the snow. 

"This will be easier." Until we reached the outskirts of the town Monet told us about I floated everyone while rubbing my head against Robin's chest. I was about to get down from her as I let everyone onto the ground but she stopped me.

"You will have to jump back into my arms when you carry us to the castle, so just stay there." 

"Embarrassed Robin is nice but I think I like this Robin more." Not attempting to get out of the princess carry I was in anymore, I used one of Robin's breasts as a pillow. While I was comfortably resting my head, Robin leaned close to my ear and spoke loud enough for only me to hear. 

"I'm increasing the severity of what I have planned." 

My lower half quivered thinking about what she might have planned, in an excited mood I replied to her in the same manner. "Double whatever you have planned." 

The grin that appeared on her lips made me quiver again so I wrapped my arms around her neck, occasionally blowing on it to get a more "severe punishment" tonight.

Not long after we entered the town someone I didn't expect to see this early approached us. "Hello there, my name is Dalton, may I ask why you traveled to Bighorn village."

"Before we tell you that I think it would be best if you were to guide us to any sick or injured townspeople, I've heard there are no doctors here and our doctor doesn't like that."

Although he was surprised when I was the one to respond and clearly on guard because of what we were wearing he still nodded. "Thank you for the offer, please let me guide you, then we can talk."

We ended up in front of a small house in the center of town before he stopped and turned to face us. "This is where the most critical cases are, everyone else who needs help is in their own homes."

As he said this Law walked past him into the building, just as he did a blue sphere encompassed the whole building.

'He works fast.' 

Dalton was about to charge inside after seeing the room appear but Reiju stopped him. "Let Raven work, once the room disappears then I'll let you enter." 

He tried to break free from her hold, going so far as to transform into his bison form in his attempts. After realizing he couldn't break free he glared at me. 

"What do you want?"

"Would you believe me if I said I want to change this island for the better?" 

His glare only intensified, causing me to sigh. "That's really what I want, just wait for him to come out, you'll see." 

The rest of the time we waited for Law passed in silence as Dalton intently glared at the door to the house as if trying to see through it.

'I should have probably thought this through more.' 

(Dalton POV)

The blue sphere that surrounded the house disappeared and as soon as it did I found the person who was holding me back, let go. As fast as I could I entered the house. “What is this?”

As I looked around I found some of the people who were near death mere minutes ago now sitting up in bed while happily chatting with each other. 

“Dalton! Did you bring this doctor? He’s a miracle worker!” I was still in a stupor as I looked around so I didn’t know how to answer that question, suddenly I felt someone pat my back.

“He sure did, we wouldn’t have been able to find you all without his guidance.”

Turning to the person who was patting me I found the person in a bunny mask still being held by the person in a wolf mask. I was about to deny their words but nothing they said was actually wrong.

“We all knew you were the best Dalton and this just proves it, thank you, I’ll be able to see my daughter grow up now, thank you so much.” As I was being thanked more people who used to be in critical condition also started to thank me.

“You shouldn’t be thanking me, I wasn’t the one to heal you,” my attempts to calm them fell of deaf ears as they were all now too excited to listen to me.

“Just accept their thanks, we don’t want to be the center of attention.” After I heard the person in the bunny mask speak again I sighed before waving to everyone.

“I have to guide the doctor to everyone that may need his help, I’ll tell your families that you’ve recovered so just rest here until then.

‘What’s happening right now?’ Not letting my thoughts show on my face I walked outside with the people in masks following behind. 

“Do you believe me now?” 

“You’ve only given me reason to, I still don’t understand why you came here of all places though.”

“KYAKYAKYA, to me all places are equal, from a small village to a giant metropolis so don’t think about why too much, what you should be thinking about is the future.”

Stopping in front of another house I turned to her. “What do you mean by that?”

All I got in response was a smile, seeing that she wasn’t going to explain I sighed before turning back to the house and knocking on the door.

“Dalton? What are you doing here? Who are those people with you?”

The confusion on Melody’s face was clear to see but it soon changed after my words. “The person here in a raven mask is a doctor, he just healed everyone in the house that was set aside for critical patients, he’s here to heal your son.”

As soon as her expression changed she slammed her door open and pulled the person in a raven mask inside. 

“Is that true, can you heal my son?”

“I’ll have to see his condition first, if it’s like the people I just healed then it will be no problem.”

Tears started to fall from Melody’s eyes, without wiping them she quickly guided us to her son’s room. Once we were outside it the raven masked person stopped Melody from entering.

“Those who are faint of heart shouldn’t watch the way I work, especially when it’s a loved one.”

Melody was shocked for a second but she quickly wiped her eyes and stared at him. “I’m watching.”

Before he could respond she opened the door and walked inside, besides the doctor only the person who held me back originally entered the room. I wanted to question why the others were waiting outside the room but the doctor had created another sphere around him and Melody’s son, catching my attention.

‘I wonder what that sphere is for, It’s clearly an ability like mine,’ My thoughts were cut short when he pulled out a scalpel and made multiple cuts in the air. As he put it away parts of the child’s body came apart before floating into the air, a dark purple substance oozing out of them and into a bowl that was sitting on the nightstand.

I could hear Melody scream but all my attention was focused on the liquid as it filled the bowl. “Mushroom toxins?”

The words that slipped out of my mouth made the doctor turn to face me. “That’s what I assume it is, thankfully he was only poisoned, his recovery should be fast.”

As he said that the body parts that flew off went back to the child’s body and connected back as if they were never separated in the first place.

“Give it a few hours and hell wake up, a couple of days and he'll be as healthy as ever. Just make sure he doesn’t eat random things, especially mushrooms.” 

“I guess I’m useful here,” the other person who came into the room dipped their finger in the bowl, afterword the dark purple liquid turned clear.

‘Does she also have an ability?’

Approaching her son Melody fell onto her knees and started to hug him as she cried, after a little while, she looked at the doctor and me. “Thank you so much for saving my son, thank you for bringing him here, I don’t know how to repay the both of you.”

I was about to tell her not to worry about it but the doctor was faster. “Don’t worry about payment, we didn’t do it for something like that.”

His response shocked me, causing me to fall into thought. ‘What did she mean earlier when she mentioned the future?  Is that whe-’ 

Before I could think any further my thoughts were once again cut as the doctor walked past me. 

“Guide me to the next house, I need to be done before its dark out.”

Although I didn’t understand what the night had to do with healing people, I guided the group from house to house watching similar scenes play out as the doctor used his strange ability to heal people. 

After we left the final house I couldn’t believe what I had witnessed, the town went from being filled with sick people to everyone being in perfect health in just a matter of hours. “Even Kureha wouldn’t be able to do that.”

“It’s good that you mention her, we want to meet her, for now though will you be so kind as to guide us to the castle where the old king used to live?”

My opinion of these masked people greatly improved over this short period so I more than happily accepted the bunny’s request but still had a question.

“Why do you want to go to the castle? You are more than welcome to stay here, I’m sure the villagers would love you too.”

“As I said earlier, we don’t want to be in the spotlight, besides I’ve always wanted to sleep in a castle, I’m even being princess carried to it.” 

Before I could begin to guide them to the castle both the doctor and butterfly masked person who held me back earlier spoke.

“I’ll wait here for Snow owl and Swan.”

“Me too.”

“Ok, Snow owl can guide you to the other villages.”

‘They have someone who from this island with them?’ My opinion of them only went higher as I thought that, separating from those two and once we made it outside the village I became shocked when I suddenly began to float.

“Don’t freak out, Just guide us with words, I’ll carry us there.” Although I was shocked this ability was nothing compared to the doctors so I quickly got over it as I began to guide them to the castle.

21