Chapter 36: Playing the hero
954 13 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I nervously unlock the door and open it. A burly man, over 2 meters tall, towers over me.

Okay Reo, don’t panic… Thompson probably just arrived at the bar and now his bodyguard is emptying the bathrooms so he can take a piss… H-He’s definitely not on to your plan…

“Didn’t you hear me? Get out of here, unless you want to offend mister Thompson.”

“N-No, of course not.”

Thank god he doesn’t recognize me. I scurry past the bodyguard and leave the bathroom, I even meet Mister Thompson himself on my way to the bar. I gave him a polite nod when I walked by, partly to hide my face and partly to not draw any suspicion. Thompson is a rather chubby guy, he doesn’t look very healthy and he’s short. Due to all the gold around his fingers and neck, one might even mistake him for a pimp, well… I guess he’s actually not far off from one.

I sit down at the bar, exhausted from the rush of adrenaline.

“One beer please, something Belgian.”

I decided to drink one last glass here, before I execute the hit tomorrow. It would be suspicious to just leave, plus I can do some last-minute espionage, I haven’t gotten to observe Thompson a lot in the ‘Bandit’s Cave’ after all.

“Sorry sir, we only have Japanese beer here.”

*SIGH* They are weirdly nationalistic about beer on this island, well, Japanese beer is fine too.

“Fine, just give me whatever’s on tap.”

“You know, if you’re confident in your drinking abilities, you can go join the beer-pong tournament over there, winner gets 50 U-Coin and there’s only a 5 U-Coin buy-in!”

He points to the other end of the cafe where a large crowd is gathered around a bunch of tables.

“I’m good.”

The bartender pours me a glass and starts serving other people.

He’s still on the toilet? It’s been 15 minutes already, is he constipated or something?

I’m debating whether to just leave or not, until the bodyguard suddenly leaves his post in front of the bathroom, alone.

He taps a guy on the shoulder and whispers something in his ear. I can’t quite make out every word, but it’s something like:

“Yeah, It’s time …. boss …. try out …. newest product .… the young one.”

Weird, is Thompson doing drugs in the bathroom or something?

The guy who was tapped on the shoulder disappears into one of the backrooms of the establishment, he comes back a couple of minutes later with a leash in his hand.

On the other end of the leash is a… Girl?! No way! She looks just about my age, quite the beauty too, her long black hair really compliments her deep blue eyes. Disturbingly though, she has a gag in her mouth and is tied up.

Are they really doing this in public view? Why is nobody reacting?... Oh right, this entire bar is owned by the Black Bear organization, this is probably not that unusual. All the other patrons here are still preoccupied with the stupid beer-pong tournament.

I briefly make eye contact with the tied up girl. Her eyes are screaming: help me! This whole scene is too cruel…

The bodyguard takes the leash and leads the girl to the male bathroom, were Thompson is presumably waiting to have his way with her…

Goddammit… Can I really do nothing?

I have this whole plan prepared to murder this scumbag tomorrow, but what use is it if I can’t even save this one girl.

But if I just turn a blind eye right now, I can take revenge for her later… Rushing in now will simply end with both of us getting killed…

I’m conflicted, especially knowing that every second I waste here will lead to further harm to the girl…

*SIGH* Alright, I’m not going to overthink this, I promised myself to stay true to my own values. Right now is the time to live up to those words, I want to save this girl! Think of a way to rescue her instead of worrying about useless crap like consequences!

… Okay. First we need to sneak into the bathroom without anyone noticing, shouldn’t be too difficult since everyone is so focused on the beer-pong tournament. I only need to distract the bartender… Then I’ll just use Shadow Steps to enter the bathroom that that brute is guarding.

I quickly came up with a plan and grabbed all the bottle openers that were hanging above the bar. While the bartender wasn’t looking, I hid them all under my stool.

“E-Excuse me, Bartender! Can I have another beer? This time something from a bottle please.”

“Didn’t like the beer we had on tap? *SIGH* Nobody ever does… Here you go! Wait… Fuck, where did I put that stupid thing? *SIGH* I’m sorry customer, please wait here, I’ll fetch a bottle opener form the back.”

“No rush.”

As soon as the bartender enters the backroom, I quietly observe my surroundings.

Nobody’s watching, good. I take my shoes of and sprint to the gender-separated bathrooms, which luckily don’t have a door, and activate Shadow Steps, I only have one second.

I sneak past the bodyguard, who’s waiting in front of the men’s room, without making any noise and deactivate Shadow Steps as soon as I’m inside.

“Stop struggling, stupid girl, just get on your knees! HEY SMITH?!”

Oh fuck did he just call for his bodyguard?

37