Chapter 39: Getting my hands dirty
945 8 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After another hour or so of just silently cuddling in the container with Alex, I can’t hear any footsteps anymore, it’s quiet.

“Alright, I think we can come out now.”

“F-Finally!”

Awww, was I the only one who enjoyed the hugging? Well, I guess we were surrounded by garbage…

I quietly move all the trash out of the way and open the lid of the container. It’s around midnight already, I can see the moon. Luckily the streets are pretty much empty, there are just a few beggars sleeping on the sidewalk.

“Follow me, it’s too dangerous to try and leave the black market right now, they might still be guarding all the exits, and they would definitely recognize your face….”

She is quite beautiful after all…

I try to take her hand again, but she swats it away.

“No thanks, I can walk on my own.”

Ooh, seems like she was actually more of the strong, independent type.

I lead Alexandra to Miss Izumi’s shop, where the old man is already waiting on me.

“You brat! What did you do? The entire Black Bear organization is in an uproar! Miss. Izumi told you to do it quietly!... Wait, who’s this girl?”

“Her name’s Alexandra, she’s the reason why the plan went from ‘silent assassin’ to a cat and mouse game.”

Alex didn’t remain silent though:

“Oh sure, blame the damsel in distress for all your problems! I didn’t ask to be rescued by you, you know.”

The old guy sighed:

*SIGH* “Great, now there are two brats… Oi, original brat, could you just quickly explain what’s going on here?”

I’m not terribly happy with my new nickname, but I still need something from him. So instead of a witty rebuttal, I decided to just quietly swallow my pride. After which, I explained the whole situation to him, from the slavery to the murder to the dumpster.

“Phew, sounds like quite the adventure. So? What did you come here for?... Don’t tell me… No… No, you can’t hide here!”

“Please sir, just keep the girl for now, I only need to change clothes, then I will leave.”

Viktor looked quite pleased when I called him sir… Just endure it Reo…

“Mmmm, well, I can’t really kick out such a cute girl at midnight, can I? I guess she can sleep here for now. How long are we talking about?”

I look back at Alex, she answers:

“I… I don’t know… I don’t really have anywhere else to go…”

The old guy looks conflicted, I know it’s unreasonable to let her live here forever… Maybe if she worked here? I mean, Viktor also lives here… I think… At least I’ve never seen him leave before…

“What if she helped you with the shop? She could work and live here until she saves up enough to move out!”

*SIGH* “Do you even know how many job applications we get? Did you forget Miss. Izumi owns this shop? Besides, what qualifications does she even have?”

“S-She looks pretty cute!”

I look back at Alexandra, prompting her to put up the most forced smile I’ve ever seen.

“R-Right… She can sleep here tonight, but after that… Well, she’s your problem again…”

“Please, Viktor, this girl has been through a lot… I know we haven’t always seen eye to eye, but could you please do this one thing for me? At least let her try-out for the position…”

Alex and me look at Viktor with puppy-dog eyes until he finally cracks:

*SIGH* “Fine, you brats won. I’ll give her a shot, she’ll need to change her hair color and wear a face-mask though, even some ‘Black Bear’ members buy their cartridges here.”

Alex finally speaks up:

“Thank you so much sir, you won’t be disappointed! I’ll also change my hair, even though I don’t think anyone will recognize me. I wasn’t the only girl there… Besides, only the bodyguard and Thompson really looked at my face, and I don’t think either one has enough brain cells now, to recognize me…”

*SIGH* “Can’t believe that I have to take care of another brat…”

I chuckle:

“Oh, don’t pretend that you don’t enjoy my company~.”

Before he starts talking again, I could actually see a tiny smile forming in the corner of the old man’s mouth after he heard those words. Looks like we did get a bit closer during this entire ordeal. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’ve even started to respect him a little...

“Not even a small amount. Anyways, let’s talk rewards, what were the terms again? Trying out all the yellow and orange cartridges, a single blank yellow cartridge and last but not least, one blank orange cartridge?

“Wait, we decided on 2 orange cartri-“

The old man interrupts me by pointing at Alex. What is he-? Oh, I get it… I take back everything I’ve said about him, he’s just an old crook.

“Fine, just one blank orange cartridge then.”

“Hehehe, now go wash yourself off brat, you smell like garbage. There’s a sink in the back-room, the closet there should also have some of my old clothes.

I look down at my hands… They’re covered in blood, blood that isn’t mine…

I walk to the sink and start scrubbing my hands clean.

As time goes on, I start rubbing them more aggressively.

shit… it won’t wash off…

35