The Implock – Chapter 68 – “Crossed”
685 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

∼ Crossed ∼

Chapter - 068

Staring into those dead grey eyes as the raith rose to its full horrible height, Nyx's [Mark of Pride] began glowing faintly. The human had left him to be the monster's quarry, letting him escape scotch free. It drove a fit of anger deep within the demon. Not from the fact that he had been betrayed and left for dead, Nyx would've done it himself if he had the chance. But no, it was the fact that the human thought he could get away with it.

The mana within his core and mind roiled with indignation.

Hands lighting up into demonic flames, Nyx's gaze was daring. The beast saw it, and with a surprising amount of intelligence, recognized that this small, weak prey was challenging it. It reared up on its hind legs, the wings blowing a gust of wind that nearly sent Nyx staggering back. Then it charged. But Nyx was expecting it and had a spell already prepared.

Unexpectedly, when Nyx threw the concealed ball of [Impfire] at the monster, the huge beast left the ground in one single bound, jumping over the arching ball of fire as it splashed harmlessly atop the underbrush and creating a small wall of fire. His admittedly simple plan had been foiled as fast as he had conjured it.

Nyx cursed, as he himself, was now sprinting for his life, the beast landing with a thud after its briefly airborne leap. Running in between trees and foliage, he could hear the beast galloping behind it, snapping tree branches in the way and making the ground rumble.

"Shit-shit-shit-shit!" The small demon cursed as his little legs pumped as fast as they could.

...

It was suddenly silent in the forest, the sound of birdsong dead in the presence of this hulking predator. The raith scanned the forest, its head swiveling from side to side as its beady eyes searched for the prey that had somehow managed to elude its sight. It wasn't just driven on by the hunt, That little prey had harmed it. And it was out for more than just food now.

In a familiar manner to when the beast had arrived, a sudden cry erupted high above. It had little time to react when something small latched onto its head, the warcry of Nyx startling the large creature. "Die beastie!" Nyx roared in as imposing a voice as he could muster, which to be honest, was little different from the shrill high-pitched screams of his impling days.

The raith's entire raven-like head suddenly erupted into a roar of fire with Nyx clutching to its black feathers, the liquidy flames of [Impfire] splattering and dripping everywhere as the raith flailed about. It shrieked in agony, to the point of making Nyx's ear bleed. But he did not let go, the flames sticking onto both him and the beast, but not harming him.

His resistance to fire and the magical resistance he gained from his trait [Demonhide] was doing wonders to almost entirely negate the effects of the spell. The raith wasn't as lucky though, its black feathers were not but little more than ash now and its pale skin was blackened, turned into blistering flesh that melded in a tapestry of unsightly burns. Yet the beast still lived, trashing into trees and trying to take air as it tried to quell the flames.

Roaring in defiance and an equal amount of fear as the raith began lifting off the ground, Nyx's palm slammed onto one of the beast's grey but now blinded eyes, the glow of purple shining through the orange flames. [Demonbolt] tore through the monster's skull and set its mind afire.

[You have taken 2 damage]

As the beast slumped like a doll with its strings cut, Nyx tumbled to the ground, away from the still burning corpse. The landing was rough, feeling as if his bones shifted and his muscles were torn. Though, it was mostly just bruising. He was still whole. But all thoughts of pain were dashed the moment the bliss of blue entered his vision.

[LVL: 23 - Raith has been slain!]

[You receive 602 points of experience for the kill]

Congratulations! You have accrued enough experience to gain two levels!

LVL: 12 → 14

As an Imp (Prideborn) "Lesser Demon", you receive one point in StrengthDexterityIntelligence, and one additional unallocated attribute point per level.

As a Warlock "Apprentice", you receive one point in Intelligence and one additional unallocated attribute point per level.

[You have four unallocated attribute points, spend them before a week, or they will be automatically assigned.]

Nyx's heart beat so fast it threatened to jump out of his chest, the adrenaline coursing through his veins having hit its peak. He felt pain. He felt fear. He felt exhilaration. But most of all, He felt alive. Pure and unadulterated - rapture in the face of death.

The demon got to his feet, looking towards the corpse of the raith. His foe was slain. The commission was complete. But he was not done. There was something else that needed taking care of. With grim determination, he allocated his attribute points, turning his attention in the direction of the homestead.

[You have assigned four attribute points in Strength]

...

"I will report to the Guild immediately upon my return. They will send mercenaries better suited to deal with the monster." Ignatius said, jumping onto his horse and taking the reins of his deceased companion in his free hand.

"W-wait. So you're just going to leave? With that... thing still out there?" The lord of the homestead asked nervously, if not slightly indignant.

Ignatius just shook his head, not even able to conjure the pride of a warrior to care about the older man's rudeness. "A raith is far beyond the capabilities of a single Silver mercenary. It'd take at least a squad of Silvers or a couple of Veterans to dispatch it without risking death."

He turned around the horses to face the road.

"What about Sir Magi?"

"Dead," Ignatius said simply.

The man's face paled slightly. "I-I see... then do make haste, I beg of you, good sir."

Despite Ignatius's promises of a hasty return, he took it slow as he went on the road, his still nerves fraught after the encounter with the raith. After all, he hadn't taken the commission because he actually wanted to help that lonesome lord. He was a mercenary. He worked for coin, and coin alone. He couldn't care if the man died or his serfdom was laid desolate in his wake. The only thing that mattered to him was whether or not he'd get paid.

Even though this commission had been a botched one, Ignatius was looking forward to a decent reward. For not only had he been dispatched on a commission's that difficulty had been far higher than it was listed at and losing a fellow mercenary, meaning handsome redressing from the Guild itself, but he'd also get the credit for the slaying of the druggle. A good haul, all things considered. 

The only problem though; was The Orphans going to pursue him for this? It wasn't his fault a raith showed up, getting that damned gnome killed. Consumed by his own thoughts, Ignatius barely even noticed the small red figure step into the road, blocking his path. He blinked, not quite believing his eyes. "What the fuck..." It was humanoid, however, all but human. Though, he wasn't even sure it was a monster. It almost kinda looked like... how he pictured a demon to look like...

"Iggy∼" The creature said in a voice all too familiar.

"N-Nyxel?" He sputtered incredulously, able to remember that accursed voice anywhere. "Just what in the abyss are you?!"

"Human, you thought it could get away that easily," Nyx snickered menacingly.

"There was nothing I could do! It was, it was-" He tried but didn't finish as a bolt of purple fire slammed into the ground right before his mount, making it rear back up in shock. Ignatius was flung back, landing on the ground hard with a groan. "What-what are you doing?!" He said wild-eyed, scrambling up to his feet as he watched Nyx approach. But even as he said that he had drawn his own weapon, knowing exactly where this was going.

"No one gets away with crossing me - Especially no stinkin' human!" Nyx proclaimed, the mark across his eye glowing radiantly.

Ignatius was screwed. He knew he could fight no mage. Not to mention one of such unpredictable as Nyxel. However, as his doom-ridden thoughts tumbled in his head, a note of disbelief suddenly entered his mind as Nyxel came charging right at him. The warlock wasn't hanging back and not simply raining hellfire down upon him. Instead, he was charging right at him.

"Fine, then. I'll show this cocky bastard. Fucking demon-gnome." Ignatius thought smilingly.

Falling into stance, his saber blurred as he adopted the first slash of his [Technique], displaying the only heritage he had from his family after having run away. [The Sly Fox]. His blade moved with the agility as a fox, swift and unpredictable, moving to end the fight before it even started. It did not go as he expected.

Moving with a speed uncanny for a mage, Nyx slid under his slash, a foot with a surprising amount of force robbing the human of his stance. But even as he was falling, he utilized the second slash of [The Sly Fox] not needing any foothold as it glanced across the demon's exposed side to rake a short but lethal cut.

That was at least, what should've happened.

Instead, Ignatius's blade barely even bit into the demon's skin, drawing only a small rivulet of blood. All the human could do was gawk in surprise before a fist with the force of a sledgehammer smashed his face in. His head thumped against the ground, threatening to let consciousness claim him. Darkness at the edges of his vision.

"W-wait, sto-" He wheezed, a shaking hand reaching out to stop any further punches. Of course, it did nothing to halt the momentum of Nyx's second strike, breaking multiple ribs at the small fist bore the strength far beyond that of an adult human male in a frame so little. Crumbling in on himself, he croaked. Blurred sight, Ignatius could only stare up at the red figure that loomed over him. "P-please..."

As Nyx looked down at the pathetic wretch of a human, one that had almost gotten away with getting him killed, he sneered, revealing rows of sharp teeth. He had already decided not to use his magic on this one. He did not deserve his magic. He was going to kill him with his bare hands alone. To disprove this damned human. For Nyx was not just some warlock. He was the Great Red. The Implock of Pride.

Nyx's claws tore out the human's throat.

[LVL: 21 - Human "Swordsman" has been slain!]

[You receive 208 points of experience for the kill]

If you wish to support Tales of the Implock and me, along with getting access to 10 chapters ahead of public release and Discord rewards, head on over to my Patreon!clear.png

To join the community, discuss the latest chapters, talk novels with like-minded basement dwellers, and much more - you can join the Discord!clear.png

28