Chapter 6
1.6k 8 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“HUH!?” Those were the first words to leave Athena’s mouth. She had just been told by the guard that we were a married couple.

“You think I would dare marry this guy? Take a closer look at my perfection, you moron. I am only with him because I had no choice. If it was up to me I would be back home while he does his job. This is an outrage… I demand to see your supervisor… clearly your records are mistaken…”

This dam blond bimbo… What the hell does she think she is doing? Everyone is looking at us. What do I do? Do I run for it? We have clearly been exposed…

“You… Come with me.” The guard said to me.

We walked further ahead.

This is bad… all the other guards are paying attention to me… Shit…

“You…”

“Yes…” I replied.

The guard placed his right arm over my shoulder and shoved me close to him.

“You got it rough, don’t you?”

“Eh?”

“No need to hide it. I can tell. You were probably forced to be with that woman right? I can relate… I got one at home as well. Always nagging this or nagging that… If it wasn’t for the pressure from our parents I would have never married that bitch…’

This guy… HE TOTALLY GETS ME

“Yeah… All she did on our way here is yapping about herself… I swear I thought I was going to die for a moment there.”

“I know the feeling.” He said before we both burst into laughter.

“Should you ever feel like letting loose, head over to birdhouse pub. Tell the barkeeper that Hearth sent you. He will take care of you.”

“Thanks… It is much appreciated.”

***

We finally entered the city of Cascade.

The streets were paved with stones and signs were hanging on the buildings.

The place was shrouded with the savory fragrance of food.

“Hey… When are we going to eat?”

The goddess behind uttered words that I didn’t comprehend. I was expecting an apology but I guess that was just wishful thinking.

“Oi… After the trouble you caused, you dare ask for a meal?”

“Huh… What are you saying? That guy assumed we were a couple, I had to correct him at once.”

“We being a couple was first-goddess Helen’s idea. Why don’t you voice your complaint to her?”

“Eh? Helen-sama. Umm… If it was Helen’s will, then I will put up with this humiliation.”

“That’s my line…”

“Humph… I refuse to take another step until I get something to eat.”

I sighed heavily.

Dragging her alone will just cause me more trouble than it is worth. I should probably find us an Inn and leave her there.

After asking around, I found an inn nearby.

As we walked in, we were greeted by a salesgirl. She looked no older than thirteen years old with brown hair and blue eyes.

“Welcome strangers to the hovel Inn. The second most popular inn in the city.” She said with a smile.

“Second? Why are we in such a place? I deserve first-rate service. Tell us to where we must go for the first-rate service.”

“Oi…” I yelled after the goddess went on another of her outburst. Not only was she being rude, but she was also asking for the impossible. Right now our only source of cash is what Helen placed in the inventory, as well as the horned bear. I still don’t know what that bear is worth. For all I know, it is unsaleable.

“That would be the winged-snake Inn, but…” the girl froze mid-sentence.

In my past experiences, that meant that there was important information that shouldn’t be ignored.

I opened my inventory in my mind and found the money Helen had left for us.

Unlike popular fantasy adventures, this world uses paper money. I rather like this system. Keeping count of all the gold, silver, and bronze coins you have is rather a hassle.

There are currently 20,000 credits there. I take two 50 credits. These are the second-highest notes. 

This should be enough.

I slipped the two notes into her hand, “You were saying?” I spoke, only to have her stare back at me.

I know that stare too well. I used to use it in reincarnation 5 when working for tips on the street.

100 credits, is too low huh

I slipped her a 100 more and another and another, until 1000 credits were in her hands.

The inflation in this world must be crazy

“The winged-snake Inn is owned by the winged-snake gang. They run the underground around here. I wouldn’t recommend that place, sir, not unless you are loaded.”

“How loaded?”

“They charge 50,000 credits an hour for their cheapest room.”

“Eh?”

“In comparison, we charge 5,000 credits a day…”

I have a bad feeling about that place

“How are people affording that place.”

“Well,”

“I am hungry! When are we eating!?”

“Tch… We will finish up later. Please prepare a room and a male for her.”

“Right away sir. That will be 6000 credits.”

Does a meal cost 1000 credits? Sorry, I tried to tip you so low sales girl.

***

The room wasn’t that big with a couch and a single bed. There was no bathroom or toilet in the room. There was, however, a communal toilet and bath at the end of the hall.

As you can imagine, a certain someone was yapping again.

“This is unacceptable… Why can't I have better service?” she yelled

“We have no money!” I yelled back

“That is your excuse for everything, isn’t it… If I knew it was going like this, I would have never agreed to go with you.”

“At least you had a choice… some of us were forced into this situation.”

“Humph… You have an answer for everything, don’t you!?”

Why you…

“I am going out…”

“Whatever…”

I slammed the door behind me. It seems our argument was loud enough that an old couple peeked out of their doors.

I lowered my head and apologized for the trouble we caused.

“I remember when we were that wild dear.” The old lady uttered

“Yeah… There is nothing wilder than a young couple in love.”

“Don’t worry dear, she will come around.”

“Until then, just remember to hold your chin up and practice saying yes dear…”

“What is that supposed to mean you old fool? Get back into the room.”

“Yes, dear.” He replied before winking at me.

The old lady closed the door behind her and I was left with nothing but my thoughts.

THE GODDESS AND I ARE A YOUNG COUPLE IN LOVE! WTF?

40