Ch 4 – Attention
200 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the door next opened Kervick walked in. He stopped briefly by the bulletin board before coming over to me. 

I tried doing as Mira had asked, and avoided greeting him.

He seemed a bit surprised that I didn’t say anything, “You broken?” he asked as he approached.

As he stepped up to the counter, I reached across, and pulled him forward, planting my lips on his. A moment later I released him, “Welcome to Mirana Guild Hall.” I said smiling as I had completed another task.

Kervick stared at me with wide eyes demonstrating his shock, “Whoa.... Hi….”

“Hello.” I supplied a casual dialog response.

“Quests… I think.” He said clearly flustered.

I was about to do as I usually did and just reply to the words in response. But it was Kervick, and last time he had wanted to know more about something, but I hadn’t even paid attention. So this time I took care to pay attention.

“I have three quests today. The first one is to slay five goblins that have been harassing a local farmer. The second is to collect a rare ingredient from the forest. Finally, we need someone to help restock the pantry.”

“The first one.” Kervick said as he usually might.

“Hagas the local farmer that we purchase most of our wheat from lost another cow and he's pretty sure that goblins are to blame. Visit his farm and talk to him for more information. If successful the quest will reward thirty-two silver.” I supplied, sort of curious what most of that was in regards to.

He nodded, “Accept.”

“Did you have any questions about the quest?” I asked this time I was prepared.

He blinked, “Uh… which way to Hagas’s farm?”

I accessed the map, and after a moment replied, “If you follow the road from the Mirana Guild Hall north towards the farm, it will be on the right side of the road.”

“Whoa… Talk about an upgrade, I really gotta commend the devs on this one, I didn’t even open a ticket.”

I wasn’t sure what he meant so I just smiled and asked, “Anything else I can help you with?”

“Got another one of those kisses for goodbye?” He asked.

“Do I look like some hussy?” I supplied from casual dialog.

“Eh?” Kervick said, staring at me in shock. “But… when I showed up…”

“That was different.” I replied with certainty, after all this time I most certainly had been directed to speak with casual dialog and that other time I had not.

He blinked, “Uh… you're a weird one…” and he turned to go.

I, however, was quite proud of myself. Not only had I paid attention and helped Kervick with that quest, I also completed another task for Mira, what a great day.

I couldn’t help but be excited to see Mira again so I could tell her about my success.

Email: RE: NPC Limitations - Cont.

While I still believe some of my ideas in my last response would be helpful,

We’ve added a patch to NPC interactions that we believe could be helpful with this, rather than isolating terms that are ignored, or suppressing NPC logic and conversations, we’ve inverted that logic, and allowed questions related to in-game terminology based on the existing game's dialog, this should be easy to update and in an update cycle or two we’ll beagle to fully integrate it into the release process.

We’re already seeing huge improvements in simple conversations, we hope that the admin team can keep tabs on this once it goes into production on Tuesday. We look forward to really turning some player heads with this upgrade.

Caleb Jennings - NextVGX Dev Team.

10