Chapter 13: First Lord Hwan Sun
55 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Mentions of death/murder, emotional abuse.


"You have a missive from the palace, my Lord." Zev places the sealed envelope onto the ebony wood desk and steps to the side, standing at attention.

First Lord Hwan Sun spares his manservant a side-glance.

"The Rose Palace, my Lord."

Indeed, the seal is of a lush bloom, its petals shyly spreading like those on a virgin spring rose.

Zev watches his lord read the letter, the latter's expression stiff and displeased by the time he reaches that ostentatious signature sweeping across the page.

Upon first glance, the Governor of Hanjuyang is a man who seems weary of living. His complexion is dull and his body is thin, lacking the vigorous and healthy glow his youngest son possesses. His walnut locks are lackluster and greying, though they are usually parted on the side and neatly slicked back. But when one speaks with him, they would quickly realise that the lord's weak visage is illusory. Those cold golden eyes hold an intense intelligence and power about them, striking fear into whoever they snatch in their sights. His tongue is even sharper and his personality is like sandpaper, grating and painful to anyone who has the misfortune of stirring his ire.

There is a hidden softness in this man however, in that he deeply loves his children - albeit from a distance. After the death of his wife, he has taken a harsher approach to raising his youngest, fearing that the boy won't be able to cultivate enough strength and resolve. Jun is after all, most like his mother. His personality is too gentle and trusting - the two qualities that attract the most hardships in life. And in many cases, an early death.

Sun rips the letter into four pieces and passes it to Zev to dispose of in the fireplace. The manservant has a demeanour as grim and austere as his lord, though he has the most stunning features that would easily make him stand out in a crowd. He has the white hair of the elderly despite being at most in his thirties. His complexion is the soft brown cymbidium, indicative of his Western heritage, and his hazel eyes are obscured behind the round lenses of his gold-plated glasses. Of course, his black suit is impeccable and crisp. Not a wrinkle in sight.

The estate staff would call the man unapproachable, especially considering that many had worked there for years and had never even spoken to him. Regardless, they recognise the manservant as incredibly capable and fiercely loyal to the Hwan name. Most particularly, his beloved lord. There are whispers of the two men having a relationship that goes beyond master and servant, but one can never know, for both are as unreadable and unknowable as the other.

"Kahin needs more time," Sun mutters, rubbing the spot between his brows as a headache threatens to form. "She's already been granted an extra month. The Mother will not be pleased."

Zev narrows his eyes at his lord and promptly steps behind his chair. His large hands rest gently on either side of Sun's head, fingertips massaging his temples to soothe the headache. The lord releases a thin breath and relaxes his shoulders, eyelids drooping and slicing his gaze into thin crescents.

"The Madame's failures reflect badly on you, my lord," Zev says, a flash of anger in his eyes. "You may consider sending her a message. An encouragement of sorts. I would gladly undertake this task, my lord."

"As tempted as I am, Zev, I must resist this time. Kahin is vital to the Mother's plans and we may only risk hindering her efforts should we interfere in any way. We must be patient. Kahin has proven herself to be well adept at her arts. My role is simply to facilitate and offer the resources she may require."

Seeing the lines of pain had smoothed out in his lord's forehead, Zev drops his hands to the latter's shoulders to knead instead. "The Mother will not be pleased, my lord," he echoes, expression darkening. "Last time, you bore the brunt of her wrath and she sent young master Bora to retake Ustos. Though he succeeded, he has yet to say a single word to you since. Are you certain that the same will not happen with young master Jun?"

The lord purses his lips, goldens glittering with wintry ire. His hands curl into tight fists upon the arms of his chair, making the polished leather creak. "You need not remind me of my own failures as a father, Zev," he growls lowly, stiffening under the manservant's ministrative touch. "I know full well that the Mother is fond of using my children against me. But this goes beyond our name. This concerns the Four Territories and, yes, even the Unknown Lands. I cannot afford to be short-sighted, Zev. If Jun must be sacrificed..." His jaw locks so tight, his molars are surely cracking. "If the Mother requires it of me, then I must do what I must. As her loyal servant."

Zev's hands still upon the lord's shoulders. The manservant knows that he's overstepped his boundaries, but he doesn't yet back away. Instead, he gives the older man a comforting squeeze. A subtle, yet gentle reminder of his presence. I am here, my lord. 

Sun sighs and glances up at his manservant, a weary smile touching his lips. There's understanding in his gaze and just like that, the tension dissipates.

A polite knock breaks the two men from their reverie. Sun's smile drops from his face, his default austerity settling in its stead. He gestures to the door and nods to Zev before picking up another missive to read.

The manservant smoothly steps around the desk and strides to the door, letting in a rather nervous looking Jun. "Young master Jun," the manservant greets, giving him a shallow bow.

Jun steps past the threshold, giving Zev a strained smile. Despite his best efforts to appear calm and collected, he still can't shake the anxiety that accompanies him every time he visits his father. Though he admires the Governor greatly, the man is an intimidating force, one that has emotionally beaten and bruised the young lord at almost every interaction.

"Zev. It has been a while. I hope you are well?"

The manservant simply nods shortly and closes the door, moving back to Sun's side with nary a change in expression.

Releasing a quiet sigh, Jun comes to stand before the two older men, bringing his hands behind his back to fidget without the others knowing. "Good afternoon, father," he greets politely, trying to maintain a steady gaze upon the Governor's face. The latter is yet to look up from his work. "How was your visit to the Blue Plains? Has the Crown Prince returned from his Northern tour?"

"I have no time for pleasantries, Jun. Speak your intent, quickly and clearly." Sun keeps his eyes on the letter, his face impassive and tone cold.

The young lord tenses, the smile falling from his face. "I would like to request the use of the Lakehouse for a few weeks, father."

"What for?"

Jun hesitates, his fingers interlocking and turning white against the small of his back. After pulling in a deep breath, he straightens his spine and continues. His voice is clear and holds much faux confidence. "You would have heard about our guest, Rin. He is currently recovering from an injury he sustained while trying to protect me. I feel as though he is becoming restless and so I would like to take him to the Lakehouse until he has fully recovered. Healer Wu has recommended a visit to the White Lotus--"

"Stop your rambling." Sun's voice cracks the air like a whip, sharp and merciless. Jun falls silent, his eyes widening in dismay. The Governor sets down the letter and folds his hands loosely atop, frigid goldens meeting those warmer. "When making a proposal, one must ensure that one is entirely clear and concise. Your first mistake is that you assumed I was aware of this Rin character. I am not. Therefore, anything said after that assumption is simply noise to me. Do you understand?" Sun waves a hand at his son - a short, dismissive movement. "Try again."

Jun can barely suppress the tremour in his body, sweat beading his flushed face. Indignation, humiliation, fear, they all swirl around him sickeningly like a torrid storm. "Yes, father," he says, voice cracking. He clears his throat, attempts to calm his pounding heart, and tries again. This time, his words are steadier, slower, and precise. "Almost two weeks ago, I was visiting the Slums for my research. I had encountered three men who had nefarious intentions, but Rin - he calls himself the Rat - bravely stepped in to assist me. He was severely injured trying to protect me however, and so has been recovering in the guest house. Healer Wu has recommended that Rin visits the White Lotus Lake to assist with his recovery and so I would like to request permission to use the Lakehouse."

The elder Hwan’s eyes narrow at his son, his displeasure clear in his face. He shoots a questioning glance at Zev and the latter simply shakes his head. Releasing a short sigh through his nose, Sun leans back in his chair and steeples his fingers, gazing at his youngest with a frosty expression. "This Rat has been staying at the estate for two weeks and neither you nor Mira had thought to inform me?"

Jun blinks at his father, mouth suddenly dry. "I...I thought Mira would have...I would have told you personally, but you were in the Blue Plains--"

"Think me so poor of a father that I would ignore a missive from my own son?" Sun huffs, his edges turning jagged and frigid. "That matters not. What do you know of this Rat and his intentions?"

"His intentions?"

"Have you so conveniently forgotten what happened the last time you brought home a stray? We are yet to recover your mother's necklace thanks to your actions. I thought being forced to watch your stray hang would be lesson enough, but apparently it was not."

The colour drains from Jun's face when he's suddenly reminded of this incident from his childhood. He had brought home an elderly man who was mute and severely impoverished, silently starving on the side of the street. Jun had ordered Mira to bring him to the estate for food and treatment. Of course, the next morning, the old man had disappeared along with much of Lady Hwan's jewelry. By nightfall, the thief had been captured and hanged, and the jewelry mostly recovered. Mostly, in that there is still one necklace still missing. And this one had been a family heirloom and so far more valuable than the rest.

What hurt Jun most was not the betrayal. He understood why the old man had stolen his mother's jewelry - desperate people do desperate things, after all. What hurt him most was having to watch another lose their life, thanks to his careless actions. He had been responsible for the old man's death and the crippling guilt still lingers to this day.

"It is...not the same," the young lord pushes out through grit teeth. "Rin has no bad intentions. I am certain of it."

Sun raises a brow, his gaze challenging. "Oh? That is a strong statement that requires much evidence. How can you be so certain that this Rat has no bad intentions?"

"If he had intended to steal from us, he would have done so days ago. But he is still here. I have spoken with him extensively every day and I can judge his character--"

"And what exactly qualifies you to judge another's character accurately?"

"I don't have any qualifications, I just...know him." The last two words are uttered weakly, without a modicum of confidence. The young lord drops his eyes to his feet, the weight of his father's glare too heavy to bear.

"Tell me, how well can one know someone within the short timespan of two weeks?"

"We spoke every day and--"

"Is it possible for one to know another so intimately with this revolutionary tactic of yours? Perhaps we should apply this to the rebels we have in our custody. Might we learn of all their secrets in a mere two weeks?"

"He saved my life, father. Surely that must count for something? Because of me, he now has a terrible scar that--"

"Of course he saved your life," Sun says, coldly. "If you were killed, where else would he get his coin?"

"Could you not believe in his goodwill? Perhaps he simply wished to save me!"

"Those people have no goodwill, Jun. Wishing they had any will not miraculously make it so. Must you continuously act like a child?"

Jun lowers his head, shadows gathering in his eyes. But when his father is on his tirade, not even Solaris could make the man stop.

"You are twenty years old, Jun. That means you are a man. Do you know what this means? You must cease this impulsive, mindless behaviour lest you be responsible for more deaths. How badly do you wish to bloody your hands? Was one death not enough to snap you from your childish fantasies? You have but a year remaining before you take over my role as Governor of Hanjuyang. The people have no use for a naïve child with impossible ideals. You must understand the reality of the situation, Jun. And you must start with this new stray you brought home. Look at me when I am speaking to you!"

The shout is sudden and thunderous, startling the young lord into compliance. Wide, frightened goldens meet those barely human, Sun's glare full of a cold fury that sends a chill down the boy's spine.

Upon seeing how frightened his son is, the Governor forces himself to calm down. His glare softens by a degree and he tries to take the sting from his words. "Tell me, Jun. What do you know of this Rat?"

The boy stays silent for a long while. Eventually, he responds in a flat tone, face as impassive as his father's."...nothing. I know nothing about him."

"And his intentions?"

"I know nothing of his intentions."

"Then what will you do with him? Surely, he cannot stay at the estate if you do not know his intentions."

"...No. Of course not. I will send him away." A minute spark flares in his eyes. A glimmer of courage. "I only request that we wait until morning as I would like to prepare a few things."

"Such as?"

"Some food and warm clothes. Healer Wu will also need to prepare his medication which requires time. We must keep our people satisfied, mustn't we?" His voice becomes dry and caustic, his anxiety overshadowed by the anger simmering just under his skin.

Sun smiles thinly at his youngest, pleased by his acquiescence. "But of course, we must. Very good, Jun. I see you are not so beyond hope."

"Thank you, father."

"However. You are not to visit the Slums again. What research you are undertaking can be done just as effectively if not moreso from the library. I am paying Teacher Hak a small fortune for your benefit. So use him."

The young lord gives his father a stiff bow, his form trembling all over with barely constrained anger. "Yes, father. If there is nothing else, I will take my leave."

When Jun promptly turns on his heels to leave the office, he sees a sliver of a gap in the door. Out in the hallway, there's a dark blur of movement, and the sound of footsteps in a hasty retreat. An apple rolls across the carpet, coming to a stop at the little lord's feet.


This introductory arc is coming to an end in the next chapter! o(*>ω<*)o

2