1.Happily Married
1.4k 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The old man, often called his holiness looks at me with a smile. I merely stare back at him, it is great that at least one of us is happy with these developments. “My Emperor, you should stop moping around. She is a very beautiful woman. You should not be displeased.” 

I see Giovanni walk down the aisle with his daughter in hand out of the corner of my eye. His white hair and red eyes look tired, despite this he doesn’t allow it to show in his movements as each step is confident and powerful. I take my eyes off him and look towards my soon to be wife, as soon as I do I understand what his holiness was talking about. 

She has the traditional Arrian noble features, white hair, red eyes, pale skin. She seems more on the petite side than the tall side but perhaps that is because I am tall and she might be rather average in height. I tear my eyes away from her so as to not be caught staring. 

I look at the stained-glass windows, the story of the first emperor. It seems rather fake to me, with the blessing of god he defended the Arrian River, pushed back the invaders, and created Arria, whose name originates from that river? 

I don’t know how much of the story is true but I do know the god bit is a bunch of baloney, predetermination is a silly idea. Anybody can be emperor, just because I was born with a birthmark means I am the only one? 

At the end of the ceremony I take my wife into the back. The room is sparsely decorated but shall work for our first conversation. “I am Michael De Arria.” I say staring her down, she doesn’t look up but stares at the ground. 

“It is an honor to meet your majesty, it is a sign of the good faith and loyalty of the Alle family that I have been given the honor of marrying you.” She looks up to me before her eyes dart around the room. Honor? Loyalty? Faith? I do not believe I have heard a greater lie. 

“Is that so... I shall leave and allow you to prepare for the ball.” I say before walking out of the room and towards the imperial carriage, the ball will take place in the palace. As soon as reach the palace I see Luca De Cara, Captain of the Imperial Guard. Currently the only order in all of Arria loyal to me. 

“My Emperor, I have begun doing as you instructed. Matteo is currently outside the capital securing the loyalty of the surrounding counts and dukes. I imagine that he will succeed, and soon your position will be vastly different.” Luca greets me, this is the one piece of good news I’ve heard all day. Though I doubt that Matteo will be quick in this endeavor. It is no small task. 

I begin to go through many letters and ledgers. We are in the negative... Arria is the richest country on the continent and we are going negative. Why? Because all the nobles are taking the money for themselves. Repair of gates? This noble did that last month and I know for a fact his gates haven’t changed a single bit since then. 

“Do they think me an idiot?” I sigh. 

“I cannot speak for them, but I know for a fact you are excellent.” I look up at Luca, his constant compliments get dull rather quickly. Luca stands by the door at a chokehold in case an assassin tried to come through the door. The rest of the room is filled with bookshelves and books, my lonely desk in front of some windows facing the door. There are two red seats, they are neither fancy nor simple.  

“My Emperor, it is about time for the ball to start.” I stand up in response to Luca, I am mostly prepared. I merely need to tidy up. I walk down the corridors with the imperial guard following shortly behind me. 

I meet up with my wife at the entrance to the ball, she has changed out to a red and black dress. I offer my arm and she grasps it, I have never been close to woman but I can now understand a tiny bit why the Yanzhou enjoy having harems. 

I must confess that it seems strange to have more than one wife... It seems dirty to me. “Have you settled into the palace yet?” I peek at my wife through the corner of my eyes. She seems a little tired, perhaps it has been a long day for her. One doesn’t often get married inside the grand cathedral of Belnuo. She probably was preparing for a long time. 

“I have been settling nicely, the palace is much nicer than the castle of Alle.” Her voice is dull and sounds unimpressed. I wouldn’t be surprised if what she said was false, Giovanni has been extracting quite a large sum of money from the imperial budget for a while now. 


A/N: A forced marriage, can't see how this might damage their relationship in the future. 

13