3.Grave News
1.2k 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up and walk towards my study. Luca is waiting for me the moment I step outside my room, together we talk amongst the two of us the best path forward. While Giovanni has strong control over the bureaucracy, he has relatively weak hold on the military. 

“You seem to be in a good mood.” Luca offhandedly comments, I don’t even bother to look up and just continue reading ledger after ledger. Currently I am searching for small things that would allow me to slowly erode Giovanni’s base of power. 

Suddenly I hear a hawk cry and open the window. Extending my arm, the hawk lands and I grab the note attached to the leg. Opening it I see a letter from Matteo, he is reporting the success of his mission. 

Boetio De Vetri, he is a relatively small person inside the Allean military but his large intellect and quick wits means many of the senior officer's value his opinion. He has a good future ahead of him and naturally I want this person’s loyalty. 

Boetio is part of the low noble faction, they currently are weak compared to the high noble faction but they are the easiest way for me to increase my authority and power within the court. He also happens to be a rising star amongst their ranks, securing his loyalty would be enough to convince the other low nobles to support the crown. Right now they must be fearful that this is all a ploy by Giovanni. 

“Your majesty.” 

“Yes?” 

“I believe that building a national army is prudent, rather than relying on the power of nobles the throne must be preserved.” He says this as if I don’t already know this fact but unfortunately if I brought up this matter it would be instantly shot down. “I also have grave news.” 

“Hmm?” 

“The Allonian Emperor has begun marching into Aveven.” My body begins to shake, I had considered the possibility but thought it unlikely. The Allonian Empire was rather unstable, the treaty that holds them together was slowly being torn apart. The entire system could fall apart at a moment's glance and he decides to leave. 

The madman. 

My face crumples into my hands. A headache begins pounding my head into submission, the likelihood of victory is slowly going down by the second. Despite the general incompetence of the military institution is Arria it does have one advantage: Manpower. Aveven might have a better military command but their lack of size and idiot king, whose name isn’t important, more than makes up for this. 

William Asherton De Allonia is another issue, he has the second largest military might behind him and happens to be the military genius of this era. I’ve heard stories of him never once losing a war game nor a duel. 

The day begins to pass by and soon it is lunch time, I begin to practice my swordsmanship because staying inside a room all day gets rather stuffy and only the dullest of people could stand that atmosphere. 

I begin to spar with my immediate guard, most people would struggle against these numbers but I just easily block and counter each and every attack they send my way. Within minutes I have through beaten each and every guard but they still stand the best they can, their determination shining through. 

“My lord, it is getting late. Should we not eat dinner about now?” My eyes move away from my guards and turn towards the origin of the voice. I need not look to know who is there, the smoothness of the voice is unmistakable. 

“Very well.” I say putting away my practice sword, it plops onto the ground with a hard thump. My guards tidy themselves up and follow behind me. Dinner is grand and rather large; the chef must be unsure of my wife's preferences and must have preferred not insulting her taste. 

With only short glances I realize that she must not like eating mushrooms as anything with mushrooms is left untouched. I smile to myself at her childishness. I don’t have any preferences but if she doesn’t like mushrooms then I will instruct the chef to stop cooking them. 

“Do you have any hobbies?” 

I look up and stare at her sudden question. Hobbies? I don’t really think I do anything for fun, anything I do is merely to further my position and plans. I guess I enjoy sparring more than going through the ledger but I wouldn’t say it is fun. 

“No.” Isabella quickly looks down at my short reply and I feel the sudden urge to hit my head on the wall, I am not very good at small talk. The most I do small talk is with Matteo and I usually respond as if I am talking to a monkey. 

The rest of dinner continues in silence with me slowly remembering all her likes and dislikes. It is funny to think that I am married, I couldn’t understand why Matteo was so obsessed over his wife but now I think I can. 

It is nice having somebody to keep oneself company. I take a sip of my wine pondering how lonely the previous emperors of Arria felt. Perhaps nobody in Arria truly understands the cost of this crown. 

“Shall we go off to bed?” I say offering my hand, Isabella looks up and takes it. There is much to be done but I know exactly what to do. This is not the first time an Emperor had to retake control over the empire and I am sure it won’t be the last. 

I know what the first emperor would have done but I don’t think it would be prudent for me to follow his path. 


A/N: This may be a bit of a slow burn. The world slowly gets set up, the action slowly ramps up. Hell! The only thing that seems to happen at a fast pace is the romance and that is merely physical until it gets a bit later. It won't be until Chapter 14 that we finally get some more news on William.

13