43.Believe in Fate
189 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walk through the empty village. There is nothing of value to us here. All food and other useful things have been taken or damaged before we arrived. This happened much faster than I thought it would happen. To decide the fields must burn is a hard order and I cannot imagine anybody just using this as the first solution without first attempting to do something else. 

I look around in search of William. He seems to have entered one of the buildings because I cannot find him outside. I look around and pick the nicest looking building in the village. Naturally, it is a church. 

“Didn’t expect you to be here.” I say entering the church. I wouldn’t say that William is praying but he is staring at the Arrian cross. He looks back over to me and waves me over. I do not know why I need to walk over but I do. 

“It is funny how similar the Arrian and Alton religion is.” 

“How are they similar.” The Arrians claim that their emperor is the chosen of God. That he has special powers granted to him by God. How is that anything similar to our God. 

“I can see it in your eyes. It is the same God, just different practices.” 

“Do you follow the Arrian religion?” 

“No, though I have learned it. I would say that I do not fall under either church.” I cannot help but think that it isn’t the most absurd thing I have heard. I can say that all churches are corrupt. It matters not if it is small or big. 

“Is that so?” 

“Yes, in fact this was something that was a point of connection between Goldwell and I.” I narrow my eyes at this response.  I would have never expected Goldwell to be a heretic but I am not surprised that he is with his Arrian characteristics. “Stop looking like that. He doesn’t believe in God. He merely sees it as a tool.” 

“But he is familiar with the Arrian practices?” 

“The Goldwell family is obsessed with teaching their children both the Alton and Arrian religion. Same with languages. They like to be... well diversified in their studies.” That is one thing that doesn’t surprise me. I want to ask how William met Goldwell but I stop myself. 

That is a question better left not asked. Allow him to tell me when he thinks the time is right.  We have plenty of time, no need to be rushed. 

“Have you decided where to go from here?” 

“Do you believe in fate?” I can only shake my head at his silly question. Fate is an absurd notion. How could one be forced onto a single path while having no ability to change it. “I do. Somethings are unavoidable. No matter how one tries to change them they find themselves at that point in time.” 

“That is a grim theory, should I be worried?” 

“You should not. You have a bright future ahead of you. It is I that needs to worry.” I just stay silent at his words. I cannot think of a reason that he needs to worry but I do not. We are both stuck here with the same fate if that is the case. 

I sit there thinking about our situation. It isn’t looking all that great. Without a constant source of food we will slowly grow weaker and each battle we lose valuable manpower. Luckily all we have to do is wait for Cerva to fall while distracting the Arrian armies. After that the flood gates are open and victory will soon follow. 

The walls are painted white. There are a couple of windows with stained glass. While it is obviously cared for it isn’t anything to compare to what is back in Allonia. I guess that is an unfair assessment. I am thinking of the grand cathedrals of Allonia and comparing them to a small church of Arria. 

It makes me want to see the architecture of Arrian cathedrals. 

If they put some much care into these small churches then imagine how much care they put into their cathedrals. I will probably never have the chance. Most likely I would sooner be beheaded than set foot in one of these cathedrals. 

“You seem to be deep in thought.” 

“It is nothing. Perhaps we should move on, we wouldn’t want to be caught here.” There are no walls and the village isn’t even in a good defensive position. Not to mention being stuck in a siege as the defenders would be even worse than being stuck in a siege as the attackers. 

“I agree. Now is not the time for me to think about my past. I am not here on a friendly visit. I am here to wage war.” He says looking at the cross. I understand that he must be remembering bad memories of his past as a political hostage. 

His family didn’t even care that it didn’t even help them at the time either. They were all too glad to get rid of him and it provided the best excuse. But he changed his situation and managed to find himself on the top. Now he is the emperor and has children. 

I need to send the scouts to find a path across the river without taking a bridge. I want to find some more armies unprepared. 


A/N: Both Allonians and Arrians are monotheistic, which is very different from the Yanzhou. They believe in a pantheon of gods. The major differences between Allonians and Arrians is their belief on religious systems and practices. The main one being that Arrians are more centralized while Allonians are more decentralized.

As always, Thank you for reading.

3