44.Dog Emperor’s Actions
183 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I walk through the halls in search of somebody to talk to. I can tell that the hatred towards me has increased since William started ransacking the countryside. “You shouldn’t be wandering around too much. Someone might take you for a spy.” I turn around to see a member of the royal guard. 

He smiles at me. I don’t remember seeing him before but since he is the first person to acknowledge me since then I might as well respond. “Excuse me. I am Reynard Hamond, I am currently looking for the emperor. If you would be so kind.” 

I gesture my hand in an attempt to make him take me to the emperor. He just looks down at it and frowns.  At least I am fairly sure that he is frowning. I stand awkwardly as he doesn’t say anything. 

“I would recommend that you give up.” 

“And why is that?” I tilt my head inquisitively. A dark aura surrounds the guardsman. I take a step back as his eyes seem to glow. This is probably just a figment of my imagination as when I blink it is gone. 

“Because the emperor is currently busy murdering your fellow countrymen.” A chill goes down my spine. I am sure this person would enjoy torturing me. “Now, if you would be so kind.” His words are a mocking echo to my own. He had clearly chosen them on purpose.

“Your name?” 

“My name? Very well, I am Matteo De Ante. A pleasure to meet you for the first and hopefully last time.” He says that before walking off. The hope of peace dies down within me. If Michael dies Arria will never surrender and I do not think that Allonia would be able to win a full-scale war. At least not without damaging itself beyond repair. 

They should be panicking but instead they seem oddly calm. 

I guess that since no cities have been taken they might not be worrying. I am not a warrior so I don’t know much about war but you would think they would be worried about this. The Arrian mindset might be a more accurate way to describe it. 

They seem unwilling to just give up. Each time I mention surrender to them they simply ignore me against all reason and logic. I guess this determination is admirable. “Ah, Sir Reynard.” 

I look back to see a lady with red hair and green eyes. 

“Excuse me, it seems we haven’t been introduced. May I be so rude as to ask for your name?” I give her a slight bow and she does a small curtesy in response. She seems like a noble but her red hair and green eyes betray that idea. 

“I am Fransesca De Casttica.” 

“I heard that the emperor is away, is this true?” 

“He has recently left for Casterso. If you have a problem I recommend you go to Sir Giovanni, he might be able to help you.” I smile at this response. I seriously doubt anybody in power would accept my offers for peace. Each name that gets rattled off to me has a very hostile stance on the subject. “Though I must warn you.” 

“Warn me?” 

“Yes. Since the emperor is away I recommend you stop bringing up peace if you wish to keep your head. The people of the castle are furious at your dog emperor’s actions.” She might be the scariest one. She is friendly with me all while she threatens cutting off my head. 

“I will keep your words in mind.” Instead of chills down my spine I am now sweating. I don’t know if I will ever make it back home. If anything happens to the Arrian emperor then I fear it would be my head that goes first. 

“That is good. Would you like to keep me company, I know that it can be rather boring inside the palace? There is no denying it. She seems to be sending daggers through me with her eyes. If looks could kill I would be more than dead. 

“I appreciate the offer but I was merely here for business. Since I can’t accomplish that I will be heading back to my quarters.” I need to write a letter and send it back. While William can’t get it I hope the information proves useful to our allies. 

“A pity, the garden is beautiful. You should visit it when you have the time.” I finish exchanging pleasantries with lady Casttica before leaving. I should pack up and prepare to leave. If I stay here any longer I am afraid they will really kill me. 

I have only just begun to read their facial features and all I can see is disdain and hatred. Be it masked with calmness or friendliness. I begin to understand why they believe that eyes are the gateway to the soul. 

Despite what faces they make towards me I can see what they truly feel inside those eyes of theirs. I am merely an unwanted pest walking these long stone hallways.


A/N: Reynard is beginning to get the facial expressions everyone! Now if any of you guys wonder why every Arrian character in this chapter is pissed, or at least so pissed, I will simply say that they know of the killing of the nobles. To put it simply: They are NOT happy. This is a major breach in conduct when it comes to war. Even Nathaniel was hesitant to do so.

As always, Thank you for reading.

3