13: Husband and wife
1.8k 6 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Uncle Chen raised his head and looked out the window. The horizon on the edge of the sky became a little unclear and it was gradually becoming dark outside.

At this moment, he heard footsteps nearby. The direction of the footsteps was faced towards the house. As soon as he looked up again, he was faced with Li Xuejian’s figure outside the dim lights. Uncle Chen could still see that there was someone else beside him but it was only a shadow.

When Li Xuejian got closer, the old man hurried up to greet him and asked: “Xue Jian, who else is there? And then he looked at the other person carefully. 

Looking at the face with the vermilion mole between the eyebrows, Uncle Chen realized that it was a ger. It wasn’t proper for an unmarried ger to not return to the family house after the sun had already set. And yet Li Xuejian was walking conspicuously with him together and even brought him to his home. This, this… This set off a stormy sea in the old man’s heart.

Recalling something, for a moment, Li Xuejian revealed a subtle look: “This is your nephew-in-law.” He explained simply and feigned an embarrassed smile.

Then he reached out his hand to support the dizzy old man. 

See… This was precisely the effect of too much stimulation.

Looking at Uncle Chen’s pale face, He Anran felt that it was not good for him to say anything so he remained silent and then poured him a bowl of water in the kitchen.

There was still a little drumming in Uncle Chen’s heart when he was surprised by discovering that the other was a village’s jinx. 

Uncle Fang has never come across any major event in his entire life. Perhaps the only major event he has ever done is to go to the county town a couple of times. Because of this, he was also afraid of strange-looking people. Although he thought so in his heart, the old man didn't show any signs on his face. 

How could Li Xuejian even marry such a person? 

Uncle Chen was at loss but suddenly came to a sudden realization - Li Xuejian must have had this ger in his heart for a long time but was too shy to tell him. 

In the face of love, even the yellow hair is not a flaw!

Uncle Chen nodded in satisfaction after figuring out Li Xuejian’s secret and decided to accept his choice.

He wasn’t feeling reluctant to approach He Anran anymore and said dramatically: “Aiyo! Look at this confused old man not welcoming you properly! Pardon me.”

Uncle Chen placed the bowl of water on the table and clapped his hands asking him to take good care of Li Xuejian.

He Anran nodded nervously with his eyes looking down, appearing bashful.

But in reality, He Anran was even more panicked right now. His parents died early. He was raised by his father's family as a money-losing slave since he was very young. He was ashamed of his appearance when seeing strangers. So now, being confronted with such a friendly attitude, He Anran didn't know how to react and couldn't say a word.

Uncle Chen didn’t mind thinking that the ger was also being shy. He wasn’t naive and knew that he should give the newlyweds time for themselves. Then he found the excuse to leave and looked meaningfully at Li Xuejian. 

Li Xuejian opened his mouth and he blinked a bit, staring at the other retreating back. Although he was a little ignorant when it came to interacting with others, he was still quite confident in his ability to judge others’ emotions. 

But how could it change so fast and head in such a strange direction?

Li Xuejian felt that it was better for him not to delve into the mind of Uncle Chen. He took a white bun left on the table and gave half of it to He Anran: “Eat.” 

A white flour bun wasn't small and half of it was enough for them to eat it together before the night. 

“Huh?” He Anran didn't expect that the other would suddenly give him something to eat. He was so scared that he got up from the small stool, holding the bun and staring at Li Xuejian in panic, and then wanting to give it back to him.

Li Xuejian paused and made a confused expression: “Have you eaten before coming here?” He asked, turning his black eyes towards him.

He Anran looked at the empty kitchen and then lowered his head: “Eat... I did it.”

Li Xuejian raised his eyebrow, not believing him at all: “What did you eat?” He spoke slowly, trying to not sound interrogative. The boy was already frightened and making him more nervous might only worsen the situation. 

He Anran didn’t dare to look at him and said nothing. But even with his head bowed he could feel the other eyes fixed on him, waiting. 

Li Xuejian’s gaze was different from that of ordinary people. When he looked at someone, it was as if he only saw the person in front of him, his eyes never wavering. His gaze was serious, steady, and attentive.

He Anran was urged by Li Xuejian’s watch and finally tasted the white flour bun. No one had ever cared about how much he ate or if he ate something at all. As his heart was filled with gratitude, He Anran was trying to quickly think of a way to support the family. 

He was just doing his own things and stuffing with cheeks with food, not receiving Li Xuejian’s amused smile. A different world and yet Li Xuejian met someone eating like a zombie apocalypse survivor.

But on the other hand, it was understandable, the ger was thin as a bean sprout and his body was almost meatless, clearly malnourished. Li Xuejian roughly understood the origins of He Anran and his family didn’t seem to be so much poor to let him starve, but considering that there was something wrong with these people from the start, they might be as well rotten to the core1to behave in a way that is not honest or moral. The boy didn’t bring a single thing with himself and was also dressed in tattered clothes.

Fortunately, there was a lot of cloth in Li Xuejian’s hands now so making a few new sets wasn’t a problem so he casually asked: “Can you sew?” It wasn't too complicated but he didn’t have patience for it. 

He Anran looked up at him with his mouth slightly open. He seemed to be blinded by Li Xuejian’s question. There was a little panic in his eyes and he quickly lowered his head in self-blame. His aunt had never taught him embroidery skills and he could only sew basic and common clothes at most. He Anran felt that it was too useless to say that. Almost every wife can support the family by embroidering purses and handkerchiefs.

“I don't th-think I can..” His voice was getting smaller and smaller. 

Won’t Li Xujian want him anymore?

Li Xuejian was puzzled seeing He Anran being provoked by that kind of simple question: “Then forget about it. I will do it myself.” He comforted him.

He Anran was even more startled: “How can you be embroidering!?” That was not a job for a man.

Li Xuejian scratched the tip of his nose, knowing that the boy misunderstand him: “I’m talking about making clothes.” 

He Anran raised his eyes and looked at him in surprise. He stood awkwardly on the spot, rubbing his feet against the ground, his eyes sparkling: “Then… then I can do it!” He blushed with excitement.

Although the boy was edger to work it was already time to sleep. 

Li Xuejian took out an old quilt and a broken straw mat left from his father’s bed, then spread it on the ground and laid down. 

He Anran sat on the edge of the bed, staring at Li Xuejian with a blank look and not understanding why the other lay down on the cold ground. He was feeling uncomfortable and choked out: “Why… why are you not sleeping with me? Aren't we a husband and wife?'' His face flushed slightly red and he quickly shut his mouth, trying to calm his racing heart.

He Anran’s title in the household was a wife, or to be more accurate he was a ger wife, since the role of a husband belonged only to men in ancient times. It was reasonable for Li Xuejian to sleep with and to be close to his wife but in fact, he didn’t expect He Anran to suddenly take initiative in this matter and looked at the bed in silence. 

Suddenly Li Xuejian had a sense of crisis.

What should he do?

30