6—A Coffee and a Mission
538 6 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I made calls, sent messages, typed documents and crunched numbers. Lunchtime came and went, with Melissa bringing me something quick to munch on from the cafeteria, and in what felt like both too much and too little time, it was five, and time to go home. Closing the several programs active, I looked at the much diminished amount of work remaining, and smiled in contement.

Wow. I'm knackered, but... that sure was a productive day. I guess a good mindset really does change everything, even if you didn't sleep a wink the night before.

I quickly cleaned everything up, packing everything that I had to take home in my bag, and left the empty work room, turning off the lights as I did.

I wasn't expecting to see Melissa outside the door, seemingly waiting for me.

I tilted my head at her. "Do you... need anything? Did you forget something inside?"

"Oh, no, no! Um, I just... well, you told me you barely slept, and it showed. You seemed really tired today, and even so worked super hard... I'm trailing off. What I wanted to ask was, do you want to get a coffee?"

A coffee? Yeah... I think some caffeine will do me a lot of good right now... I'm barely standing on my feet, there's no way I can drive home like this.

"Yeah... sounds like a plan. Should we go to the Startrucks on the corner? Or did you have somewhere else in mind?" I asked as we neared the elevator.

"No... that place sounds fine! Let's go!" The ends of Melissa's curly red hair floated up slightly as she sped up her pace.

"Hey, be careful! You could fall if you keep that u—"

Melissa stumbled.

"Ah—"

I rushed forward, barely catching her by the waist.

"—p. That makes twice already. Are you okay?" I asked, relinquishing my hold on her.

"Y–yeah, sorry..."

I chuckled.

"It's alright. Look, elevator's here already. Let's go."

"Yeah!" she answered chipperly, her earlier chastised tone all but forgotten.

 


 

I took a good gulps of my coffee—which had a ridiculously long name I couldn't even pretent to remember in my tired-as-hell state—and leaned back in my seat as the flavor flooded my mouth, letting out a sigh of contentment.

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff. I'm sure they put all sorts of shit into it, but who cares as long as it tastes good and does its job?

Melissa took a sip of her own. She was nervous, fidgeting for some reason, and I was way too tired to try to decipher why.

Still, I decided to help her out, initiating a conversation. "So, how is work? Getting used to your new post? I know it's hard, especially when everyone already knows each other."

"Yeah... you're all really nice, and there's no one who isn't helping me out, and trying to make me feel like one of them—one of you—even though I've only been there for a few weeks. I'm getting to know all of you better, and... I like working there."

She smiled as she finished talking, making me smile, too. I was glad she liked working with us as much as we liked having her, or at least as much as I did.

"I also like you, Ryan."

Then she dropped a bomb.

"Wha– what do you–" I stuttered. Even Eloquence couldn't help mask my bafflement.

"I–I like you, r–romantically. God this is so embarrassing... but... I knew I had to tell you, or you'd never make a move on me."

What? She... likes me? No way... I mean, thinking back on it, all the signs were there but... am I truly so dense? Why couldn't I have noticed sooner, and gently gave her hints that she should forget her feelings for me? Poor girl... why is life so cruel? No matter how I reject her, I'm going to hurt her... Eloquence, I'm counting on you.

"Melissa... you're a wonderful woman. You're gorgeous, and could get any man—or woman—you wanted, but... I'm married, and you know that. I couldn't answer your feelings even if I wanted to." Which I frankly don't. Sorry, but my heart belongs to somebody else.

I smiled apologetically at her, almost unconsciously flashing her my ringed hand—something I had to do more often that I would like, unfortunately.

Melissa clenched her fists.

"Ryan, y–you're... a good person. Too good for your own good. And I know, I know you want to keep your work and the rest of your life separate... but our co-workers talk. I don't know who you told originally, but now... everyone knows how your relationship between you and your wife is."

She looked down for a moment, saying nothing. When she continued, her tone was steelier, bolder than before, and so were her words.

"Did you think I didn't know, that you barely talk to each other anymore? That you haven't slept in the same bed for months? Th–that she does nothing all day, leeching off you while you work your ass off every day!?" Melissa said, in an ever riding crescendo, until she noticed she was shouting in the middle of a public place, and getting more than a few stares.

"I just..." she sighed, then continued, her tone lower, more timid, having released her pent-up anger and frustration. "...I don't need or want you to divorce your wife for me. I don't mind if you keep our relationship secret from everyone, not at all. As long as you could make some time for me, maybe go on a date occasionally... come over to my apartment once in a while... I'd be happy. Please."

This is... tough. Why couldn't she have just given up? It's getting harder to turn her down without hurting her.

"Melissa... those things you said may be true, though not all of them are, but I can't betray my wife, regardless. If she demanded that we get divorced, I'd have said yes to your proposal in a heartbeat, but that isn't the case. And, you may think I'm crazy for saying this, but... I still love my wife."

She was looking at me with bitter, angry eyes. Trying to smoothen her emotions a bit, I took a deep breath, and continued.

"Regardless, Melissa, you don't deserve a relationship like that, hidden from the public out of fear of being discovered, as if your lover were ashamed of being with you. That would be no more than an affair, and you deserve a proper, healthy relationship, that you can be proud about. And I just can't give you that."

Melissa said nothing, perhaps mulling over my words. I stood up. As I passed her on my way out, I put my hand on her shoulder, and when she didn't flinch away or shake it off, said,

"I'm sorry. Sorry for wasting your time, for causing you so much embarrassment, for rejecting you even though you poured your heart out... for everything. I'm truly sorry, and... I look forward to seeing you tomorrow at work. I'll greet you with a smile, like always."

And with that, I left. I avoided looking at her as I did so.

Poor girl. She should've given up as soon as she saw the ring on my finger. I feel like a terrible person... I'll try to make it up to her, somehow. Just not in a way that will further her feelings for me. If only there could've been a better way...

I sighed, shaking my head. The deed was done; thinking about 'what if's and 'if only's wouldn't do anyone any good.

Still... I have oven more proof now that this System is real. No way would I have been so smooth with my words without Eloquence. It actually felt like the effect was even more pronounced than this morning, though not as some outside interference, but as part of me, somehow.

Lost in thought, I didn't notice as I passed next to the table next to ours, at which an unfamiliar man had been discreetly recording our conversation with his phone.

Actually, maybe it levelled up? Let's check. System.

Ryan Davis, 26
Points: 30

Traits:

-Naturally Charming

-Good Genes

Stats:

-Strength—6

-Endurance—5

-Agility—3

-Intelligence—7

-Looks—7

-Charisma—8

+Penis Size—8

Skills:

-Eloquence (Common) Lv4

[Inventory] [Missions] [Shop (locked)]
Wait, level four!? Is the max level like, a hundred or something? Because otherwise, that feels... much too fast. And, 30 points? Shouldn't it be 25...? Hmmm, only one way to find out the answer, I suppose.

As I walked back to my car, my mind not betraying a shred of drowsiness anymore, thanks to both the coffee and the shocking and unfortunate confession I had just received, I tapped on Missions. A moment later I almost stumbled in surprise.

Weekly Missions:

-Go on a date (Completed): 5 points

-Kiss a woman (0/1): 5 points

-Achieve an orgasm (Completed): 5 points

-Give a woman an orgasm (0/1): 5 points

-Give oral to a woman (0/1): 5 points

-Receive oral from a woman (0/1): 10 points

-Have sex (0/1): 15 points

-Have anal sex with a woman (0/1): 15 points

One-time Missions:

1–Cutting ties:

You must get rid of the shackles holding you back from embarking on your journey as a playboy.

•Divorce your wife (0/1)

Reward: Access to the Shop, 50 points

2–Self-improvement:

A playboy's body is one of his biggest weapons. To be successful, you must take care of it.

•Do 1000 push-ups (357/1000)

•Do 1000 sit-ups (626/1000)

•Do 1000 squats (489/1000)

•Run 20 miles (0/20)

Reward: +1 to lowest physical Stat (Strength, Endurance or Agility)

3–First Steps:

It is time to begin your new life as a playboy, but you must walk before you run.

•Go on a date with a woman you never have before (Completed)

Reward: Common Lootbox — CLAIM

Really? That counted as a date in the System's eyes? Well, I'm not going to complain, I guess, since I basically got two Mission rewards for free... but it absolutely wasn't a date! I did not go on a date with another woman behind my wife's back!

Shaking my head, and barely stopping myself from sighing, I discreetly tapped on [CLAIM].

The screen I'd expected appeared before me.

You have received a Common Lootbox — USE

Why all the unnecessary steps? Just open the damn box for me, goddamnit. There. [USE].

You have received a Wilted Flower (Trash)

I barely managed not to sigh.

Oh. Well isn't that neat?

Opening my Inventory, what I was inside was, indeed, a wilted daisy, its stem looking brittle, petals dried and flaking off.

When I tapped on it, it disappeared from the Inventory.

And popped into existence in front of me, falling to the floor.

What!? That just teleported out of nowhere!

Bending down to pick it up, I confirmed it was indeed the same flower as the picture in my inventory. I was baffled.

Well... I guess I finally have conclusive evidence that the System exists, then. I just hope no one saw that.

Looking around, I found there weren't many people around, the evening rush long over, and since I'd been standing between a wall and a parked SUV, not many would have had the angle to see anything. I sighed in relief.

Sliding the flower under my jacket so that no one would be able to see it, I trained my focus on it, trying to will it back into the Inventory. A moment later, it was gone.

Wow, that was... not completely unexpected, but surprising nonetheless.

Soon I was inside my car, and strapping on my safety belt. I nearly melted into my seat.

Damn. All this is too much stress for one day. Let's go back home. Oh, maybe I should get some groceries before that though. I'll just stop by that supermarket that's on the way, so I won't even have to take a detour.

 


 

In the end, I bought only a couple bags' worth of food—not much, but enough for a few days—since any more would have been a pain to carry to the car, and I didn't have any coins for a shopping cart.

I should get some just in case. Never know when they might come in handy.

As I stashed my haul in the trunk, my eyes wandering the street, they stopped on a quaint little shop front, ten times more colorful than any other. A shop front I'd driven across countless times going to and from work, but never truly took my time to look at.

It was a flower shop.

I remembered the dead daisy in my Inventory.

I could do better than my stupid System.

 

 

23