Chapter 5: Decisions and Changes
1.1k 8 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ivana slowly woke up from her nap, feeling a hand stroking her head.

“Ahh,” Ivana yawns, waking herself up fully. Her father stops patting her head. Ivana looks up seeing his smile, but also sadness etched upon his face. 

“Papa, are you okay?” Ivana felt worried about her father’s current condition.

“I’m fine sweetie. Sorry I wasn’t there to protect you. I can’t believe that bastard hit you. If only I didn’t have to put my responsibility as a duke in front of my responsibility as a father,” he replied with a smile that morphed into a scowl. Ivana seeing this was reminded of what she remembered before she fell asleep.

Should I ask Papa if I should learn to fight? That way I can protect Papa. This was going to be a choice with no turning back. I have to ask. I can’t let Papa do everything.

“Papa, I want something,” Ivana asked.

“Whatever you want, I’ll say yes. I know this is a terrible idea,” her father chuckles thinking she would want a giant teddy bear,” But I promise. So what would you like?”

“I want to learn how to fight!” Hearing this her father hesitated. The path was one where one kills and could be killed, a situation he never wanted his daughter to be in. But he could see that his daughter was determined.

“Fine, I’ll allow it. I’ll get someone to teach you but you’ll have to make sure you wait until you unlock your status on your 6th birthday.”

Ivana pouts again. “Fine,” she harrumphs, “I’ll wait, but just because you asked.” Her father smiled at this and pat her head, knowing that was an act to get him to do exactly what he was doing. "Ehe," Ivana says leaning into the pat.

"Should I ask the maid to bring dinner here to eat?"

"It's dinnertime already?" Ivana jumps out of bed and flings open the curtain. Outside, night is falling and the sky is lit up blood red.

***

A couple of months have now passed and Ivana's father had left the house once again to take care of a monster subjugation in the northern parts of his domain. Ivana spent most of her time in her room, studying or doing strength exercises, which her father allowed. She stayed far away from her stepfamily, seeing them down the hall. Every time both the pig and his mother were scowling at, shooting her with hate-filled eyes. She ignored them and walked away.

Ivana woke up in the morning that day, expecting it to be the same as every day for the past few months to be. She was surprised that she woke up and the nanny didn't have to take off her blanket. She smiled.

Today is a good day. Nanny didn't rob my blanket so it's gotta be a sign of luck, right? She smiles getting up, hoping to surprise the nanny. But she waits and waits. Finally, she gets annoyed and goes into the hallway(still in her pajama) to look for the nanny and tease her about this. She walks down the hall and sees two people waiting for a carriage with a ton of suitcases around them.

Who's there this early in the morning? Is it the big pig and the little pig finally leaving? She smiled to herself hoping this was true. She looked closer at the pair. Why is it Nanny and the maid who helped me? Ivana fears the worst. She dashes down the hallway, which seemed almost endless at the moment, down the stairs and outside to where the two are waiting. Her cheeks felt hot and wet as she wanted to catch up to the two. They saw Ivana running out, with tears falling from her. The two servants looked awkwardly at each other as this was the situation they were trying to avoid. Ivana runs into the nanny and hugs her, trying to hold her in place.

"Good morning, Mistress. It's nice to see you woke up early today," the nanny chuckles. Suddenly her heart pangs as she looks at Ivana, the girl she was taking care of, and sees the image of her grandaughter overlap with it. 

"Please don't tell me you're leaving, please, please, please," Ivana cries hugging the nanny.

"Sorry mistress, but this is where we part ways. Not only me but all the servants have been fired. The sow of a duchess plans to have us replaced with her women. We have to go and find new jobs to help continue to support our families. That bi-" The maid began to curse out the duchess before the nanny covered her mouth.

"Not in front of the mistress. But the new duchess decided not to give us severance pay and recommendations that the duke promised. She said it was too much work to do for dirty commoners like us."

"That's horrible. They're the worst. But can't you stay, you promised to protect me. I'm sure Papa can work something out, he always does!" Ivana asked desperately. These were people who helped care for her and raised her. How could they just go and leave her?

"We can't mistress. If it was just us, we would've stayed, but she threatened to try our family for rebellion, and the court's favor always go to the nobles," the maid replied, feeling ashamed she couldn't keep her promise to Ivana. Suddenly the sounds of the mansion gates can be heard in the distance.

Ivana breaks down even further, realizing that whenever her father leaves, she'll be all alone, with no one to help her. She hates the new duchess and both her sons. If they didn't come, everything would be fine. Right now her nanny would be yelling at her to get ready for the day and she would just laugh. Ivana hugs her nanny tighter crying. When the carriage reaches the house both women pack their bags on the carriage. Her nanny turns around and bends down, looking at Ivana. She smiles but starts tearing up as well.

"Stay strong mistress. I know that it'll be painful to go through, but I believe that you can handle it. We'll meet again one day. Until then remember to stay good to people," said the nanny before climbing onto the carriage. Ivana then watched it leave, leaving her standing alone.

54