V2Ch39: Swear To Serve
106 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Swear To Serve

~*~

 

 

 

 

Kelvaran sat at the high table between Gorvan and Halany, with a sumptuous spread of the finest cuisine available in all of Valesk before him. He picked at it, for appearances, although it all tasted like ashes on his tongue and stuck in his throat as he choked it down. He really would need something in his stomach to stay ahead of the many cups of wine he'd drunk through all of the toasts.

That wine only compounded the dream-like daze he'd wandered through for all of the day. From the oath-taking ceremony in the throne room to this banquet in the grand ballroom, he had drifted through this palace designed at every turn to put one in mind of the weight of their country's history.

In the throne room, the floor was tiled with a mosaic depicting King Dahyran. Where Kelvaran had knelt, with the gaze of all the Court - members and representatives of the noble families - pressing on his back, he had come face to face with Dahyran's fierce eyes. They seemed to stare into his soul through the centuries - judging him, and finding him wanting.

The oath he took hadn't been altered from tradition, and as he said the words, 'I swear to serve the throne of Valesk, and to defend our land and our people with my very life,' he kept his eyes on the likeness of Dahyran, silently begging him to hear his true meaning from whatever Otherworld he might be in now.

Beneath the hand laid over his heart as he knelt, he could feel the watch in his breast pocket, giving him some measure of comfort. He wondered if Kazia was on the other end of the transmitter now, listening to this shameful display, unsure whether or not he should wish for that.

Now, at the high table, he felt again for the watch through his coat. Yilina may have given it to him originally, but its function now was all due to Kazia's efforts. Blood of One the Maker Loves. He wondered if the empathy potion might let him feel her presence in there. He hadn't taken it today on Kazia's advice. Best leave that to less chaotic settings.

Tonight, he could only count on the transmitter to relay anything important back to Caedra, but Halany and Gorvan only made idle chit-chat and banter around him throughout dinner. Kelvaran sat quietly, calculating his next steps. It had been decided that he'd join Gorvan's Alchemists. His initial goal had been the palace, but it was better to stay at Devratha Manor where he could look into this mysterious Artifact that concerned Kazia.

With dinner finishing up, the assembled nobility began to fill the ballroom's spacious dance floor. Kelvaran looked up from his half-emptied plate to see Yilina approaching the high table casually. Her eyes fell upon his hand toying at the curves of the watch through his coat, and she smiled affectionately, but then unexpectedly turned toward the end of the table, leaning over to whisper something to Halany's son, Yegaran.

Kelvaran's eyes narrowed in perplexed suspicion as the Prince followed Yilina onto the crowded dance floor without a word to anyone at their table. He shifted his gaze down to Abrizhen, sitting on Gorvan's other side, and found him likewise glowering after them.

Abrizhen turned his head, and their eyes met for a brief moment before Kelvaran looked away to the dance floor again. He couldn't see Yilina now among the riot of swirling skirts in every color.

“Ah, I suppose the young ones are tired of us old men, Gorv,” Halany said with his unsettling joviality. “Why not let Abrizhen take Kelvaran out to mingle with their own generation?”

Gorvan gave Abrizhen an austere glare, then cocked his head up in agreement. Abrizhen, who'd been looking as stifled as Kelvaran felt all through dinner, stood up readily. He gave a cheerful bow toward Halany.

“Thank you, Your Majesty,” he said, coming around to Kelvaran's seat and pulling it back quite politely as Kelvaran rose with uncertainty. Kelvaran likewise gave a bow to Halany.

“Your Majesty,” he said, formally stiff.

Halany waved him off with a smile. “Relax. Go dance with a Lady or two. You'll have nothing but drudgery back at Devratha.”

Kelvaran gave a nervous sigh as he followed Abrizhen off the dais and into the crowd.

 

~~~*~~~

3