Side Chapter 5: As Luck Would Have It
599 18 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They were sitting in their seats in the restaurant, waiting to be served.

          

*SIGH*

        

Aviary sighed once again for the umpteenth time.

        

“Will you please knock off the sighing!” Officer Jenny growled in announce.

                

“I can’t help it!” Aviary complained. “This is the seconded time, THE SECOND TIME! That we’ve been barred from that brat, Jennifer Barakat! It so!… FRUSTRATING!”

                   

While she hated to agree with her Private, Officer Jenny also thought the same about their situation.

Private Aviary harrumphed before crossing her arms.

“I just don’t get it! Just who is this Jennifer Barakat anyways?! Why is the Mayor and that pompous guy from that Pokémon G-Men whatever organization so frantic about?!”

*SLAM*

“They gave us a citation Sergeant Jenny! A CITATION?!” She said incredulously.

              

“Will you shut up!” Sergeant Jenny shouted back at her subordinate. “I’m as angry as you are Private, but don’t think we won’t be getting into more trouble, if you keep spouting stuff like this out in public.” Jenny warned Aviary.

“But Sergeant?!” She whined.

But Jenny was already shaking her head.

“No buts,” She told Aviary with finality. “They warned us again, and had to give us a punishment, just to easy their higher ups, so that they wouldn’t come crashing down on their heads: we’ve caused them enough trouble; on top of that, we’re not even supposed to know who that guy from that organization is.” Jennifer reminded Aviary. “The only reason he revealed himself at all, was because I had suggested going to the very organization he is from, and reporting about this case myself.”

       

Aviary, who was looking like she was properly scolded a moment a go, perked up at something her Sergeant just said.

“Oh yeah, that reminds me. How did you know about that organization?” She then looked around before leaning over the table to whisper to her Sergeant. “The Pokémon G-men?”

Jenny chuckled at her Private’s curiosity.

“That is because: a few years ago, we had an incident with one of those famous criminal groups known at Team Magma.” She told Aviary. “While I wasn’t directly involved with the incident myself, I did see the paper work and seen some mentionings of assistance from the organization know as The Pokémon G-Men group.”

“Who are they exactly?” Aviary asked curiously.

Jenny leaned back into her chair to relax herself, before giving an explanation.

“From my understanding, the Pokémon G-Men group, is an undercover organization that infiltrates and searches corrupt organizations or other groups that abuse or disrupts the lives of people or Pokémon alike.” Sergeant Jenny shrugged her shoulders. “I guess the simpler way of looking at them is: that they’re an antiterrorist organization that helps stop known criminal groups that the police just can’t get involved with: whether that is because it is to dangerous, or that someone might be pulling strings that prevents them from doing anything.”

        

Aviary sat there stunned by what her Sergeant had just unloaded on her.

“Wow! So that means!… What exactly? Doesn’t that guy, from G-Men being here mean he is also investigating this incident?”

Jenny shook her head.

“Not necessarily, but that could mean that, either this is bigger than we thought, or that we’re right behind him in the investigation and we might only be hindering him by getting to close.”

“…No way?!…”  Aviary trailed off in disbelief.

Officer Jenny shrugged her shoulders.

“That’s just a theory, however. I couldn’t say more, one way or another, not until I literally hear it from the Ponyta’s mouth.

“So? What are we supposed to do now though? Not only did going to see that Jennifer girl turn up nothing, when we went there two weeks ago, she wasn’t even at home apparently. So now! This has not only turned up nothing, but also made it so that we’ll not get another chance with that girl.” Aviary whined hopelessly.

Jenny nodded her head.

“That about sums it up there Private. We’re back to square one.”

       

      

Aviary folded her arms again.

“This sucks!” She grumbled to herself about their situation.

But Officer Jenny just chuckled.

“Yeah, well… I can’t help but agree with you… this really does suck for our investigation: but at the very least, we learned more about this Jennifer Barakat.”

Aviary nodded her head begrudgingly.

“That is true.”

She reached into her breast pocket and retrieved her note pad. She flipped it to the relevant information they were discussing.

“As of now, we know. That the one: Jennifer Barakat, is a teenage coming home from her other home of Ejapul, who was coming to Hoenn to visit her father, after a traumatic incident involving the criminal organization of Team Dunes. Who are an ecological terrorist organization: who think of humans as a plight, while Pokémon are the superior race, and that humans are just an inferior evolution of a failed Pokémon species………....” Aviary trailed off as she started reading back her own notes.

“…………….”

“Sergeant, these guys are nuts!”

      

“Yeah… They sound a little too much like a couple of other certain groups I know of.” Officer Jenny growled frustrated. “Also, it is no coincidence that our Jennifer girl was involved, is that correct?”

“Right,” Aviary agreed. “After her recovery from the incident involving Team Dunes, her mother, a one: Rebecca Barakat, a local gym leader of the Ejapul region, who sent her child back to Hoenn; to live with her husband and the girl’s father, a one: Professor Johnathan Yew.” Aviary flipped the page, before continuing. “He is a Pokémon Professor, who is involved with the research of Pokémon evolution and creating devices that help Pokémon to evolve, without the need for battling.”

Officer Jenny let out a long low whistle at this information.

“That is pretty big research her father is working on. Could make him influential if he has anything close to working properly.” She comments.

“Yeah, no doubt.” Aviary agrees. “I also bet that her mother is also some sort of big shot as well.”

“Reason being?” Sergeant Jenny questioned Aviary.

“Because she is also part of an antiterrorist organization, who is currently fight against the group involved with Team Dunes.”

Officer jenny leaned forward, resting her arms on the table while supporting her body.

“None of this can just be coincidence then.”

“What do you mean?” Aviary questioned.

“What I mean is: while I do not think you’re wrong about her father, I think we’re not known or privy to certain things.” Jenny told her. “I think,” She then pointed at Aviary to emphasize her point. “That her mother, might not just be part of a local antiterrorist organization, but also involved with the G-men themselves.”

Aviary’s eye went wide as she heard this.

“Do you think that’s true?! Are you for certain?” She asked her Sergeant for clarification.

But Jenny shook her head.

“I’m not certain, but all signs point to that. Otherwise, how would someone pull so much rank and authority over the people of government here in Hoenn, despite the fact that her father is a brilliant scientist who might know a few people; I doubt that he has as much influence as say, someone high ranking in the G-Men group.” Officer Jenny suggested.

Aviary nodded her head.

“That makes a lot of sense… should I write that down?”

“………………………”

Jenny had to think about that before answering.

“Write it down, but as a side note. We’ll circle back to that if more information becomes know or relevant.”

“Oh! Speaking of more information!”

Aviary hurriedly flipped to a new page after writing down what she was told to.

        

“Here!” She announced. “I also got this at the last minute while I was being questioned by La…— By the *COUGH*… The man from G-Men…” Agiary frowned after having corrected herself.

“…… Do you know who he was Private?…” Officer Jenny questioned her subordinate.

“…Yes ma’am… I do… I don’t even need my notes for this one.” She quipped to Jenny.

“He is a one: Lance Wataru, Dragon type Pokémon master, and a member of the illustrious Elite Four of the Kanto region, Indigo League.”

Officer Jenny nearly choked on her own tongue as she heard what her Private just informed her.

“W-What?!”

Aviary nodded her head.

“It’s true, I don’t believe he recognized me, I definitely recognized him. He is one of the famous members of the Elite Four. Not many from Kanto haven’t heard of him.”

“Or people from Hoenn either! I’ve just haven’t seen his face in person before, but I know all about him…….” Jenny leaned back in her chair staring off into space. “So that was Lance huh?…. Wow!….” She said while trailing off.

             

              

        

“Umm… Sergeant?” Aviary called out gently as she noticed her superior gaze glazed over.

          

Jenny then shook herself from her revery about herself and Lance; about something sparking between them as a result of this case.

          

*COUGH*

“A-A-Anyways! Private, you were discussing before, about new information you got in regards due to L-Lance’s interrogation of you?”

“Ah! Right!” Aviary looked back down at her notes. “He revealed to me, maybe on accident, maybe on purpose, I don’t know which, but! What he revealed was that, Jennifer Barakat’s grandfather, is part of the Pentagonal Counsel in Ejapul.”

“The Pentagonal Counsel? What’s that?” Officer Jenny questioned.

“That is, apparently, something like the Elite Four from the other Regions who test trainers looking to become a the Pokémon Champion of that region.”

Sergeant Jenny’s eyes went wide at this information.

“So not only is her mother probably an influential name by herself! But her grandfather is as well?!”

“Yeah… That is how I understood it ma’am.” Aviary summed up.

“Okay,” Jenny said firmly with outstretched hands. “Enough is enough.” She told Aviary. “This girl has way, WAY, too many connection for all of this to be a mere coincidence.”

Aviary nodded her head.

“I agree,” She told Jenny. “and on top of that. I felt that, since you are the lead investigators on this case, and had both the Mayor and Lan—… The man from G-Men, questioning, and berating you at the same time, that it only goes to show what kind of pull this girl’s family has over others.”

Officer Jenny nodded her head.

“That’s for sure.” She agreed.

          

Jenny sighed as she slumped onto the table.

“This is getting out of hand. And worst of all, we don’t even have a shred of anything that could help us on this case anymore. Not unless we can get a psychic, who can read those Pokémon’s minds.”

“But? Isn’t Jennifer Barakat being a psychic, purely speculative thing on our part ma’am?” Aviary questioned.

“…. You know…. About two weeks ago, before we got hauled in for questioning, I would have agreed with that… but now?… *SIGH* …I just don’t know anymore… this girl; this Jennifer Barakat. Has almost as much mystery around her as this person we’re trying to find, who was releasing Dark Type Pokémon into low evolution areas.”

      

“That is true… And if it wasn’t for the fact that she landed only a couple months ago, I would have suspected her of being the culprit we’re looking for; that she is just some troubled teen that is rebelling against her influential parents or something like that.”

“Yeah… that could fit, but there is to much evidence to support the contrary… *SIGH* … What is it were supposed to do now? We don’t even have a perfect I.D. of this Jennifer girl, let alone what she looks like.”

     

“Umm…” Aviary spoke up after a minute of Jenny sulking.

“Hmm?”

“I…— We actually do ma’am.”

“What?!” Officer Jenny shouted, while sitting up straight in her chair.

“Yeah… I think…— I am reasonably sure. That Lance was trying to get you information through me ma’am.”

“What do you mean?!”

“Well… besides the whole grandfather thing… He made sure I was questioned alone in the room with him, he was very revealing with his questions, and even allowed me to write all this down while we were talking… I think he is trying to help us.”

“…..B-But why?……”

Aviary shook her head.

“I’m not sure ma’am… just that… I think he was, in a roundabout way.”

          

Aviary flipped to a new page on her note pad, finding the thing she was looking for.

          

“Here,” She said while sliding her pad towards her Sergeant. “He showed and held up a picture for me to look at while I was being interrogated. He then berated me while holding up this photo of Jennifer, all while pointing her out from the faces in the photo, saying over and over: “Write this down and never, EVER, forget this girl’s face! That you two are to never, EVER, make private contact with this girl again.” Things like that.” Aviary explained.

Officer Jenny looked at the pad and saw a sketched penciled profile of a young teenaged woman, who was with a group of friends.

“………Just…. why?”

“If I had to guess, is that he believes we’re on the right trail, but realized we’ve hit a dead end without help…. But that is only a guess ma’am.” Aviary explained.

          

Officer Jenny took in the sketched photo of the person they were looking for and marveled at it two fold.

“I had no idea you were an artist?” She spoke astonished by how well the sketch of the P.O.I. looked.

“Well! That is because I took a minor in profile art ma’am, I figured it might be helpful during cases if I could draw faces or scenes of investigations or crimes ma’am.”

“………………………….” Officer Jenny sat there stunned at the fact of what her Private just admitted. Which made her a little jealous at how talented Aviary was.

Then something clicked in her head.

“You said you recognized Lance, but he didn’t you? You met him before?”

“Yeah, back in Kanto. When I was just still just a recruit and such. He came and gave a speech at the police department to the new graduates: he even stuck around and spoke to a few people at the time.”

          

“…………………………”

     

“What is it ma’am? Is something the matter?” Aviary questioned her Sergeant glazed look on her face.

“You said he didn’t recognize you….”

“Yes ma’am, I don’t believe he did—“

“But he knew you could draw profiles of people….”

Aviary’s eyes went wide, as she clamped her mouth shut tighter than a closed Cloyster shell, after realizing what her Sergeant had revealed.

                        

“Yeah…… You were right Private… He was; or I should say, is helping us.”

“…Holy shit ma’am.”

“Yeah……”

“So?! What do we do?!” Aviary questioned her superior.

But to her surprise, Jenny just shrugged.

“I guess we’ll just have to get lucky.” She told Aviary.

“Lucky?!” Aviary asked incredulously.

“Yup,” Officer Jenny declared. “Sometimes, investigations run on a tad bit of luck to complete them.” She said as she handed the notes back towards her Private.

“You sometimes just have to be in the right place at the……….. Right……….. Time……………….”

      

Aviary had a hold of the note pad, but her Sergeant had a tight hold of it as she stared at something behind Aviary with wide eyes.

“Ma’am?” Aviary called out.

        

Jenny just lifted her hand and pointed behind her.

      

Aviary turned around.

        

Her eyes going wide as she spotted a familiar face, sitting with a group of four in a both with three tiny Feelings Pokémon on the table, as they all laughed and chatted with one another.

                      

Aviary turned slowly towards her superior with an astonished, disbelieving look on her face; one that matched her superior’s as well.

        

“Ma’am?!” She called out to her. “What do we do?!—“

“Nothing!” Sergeant Officer Jenny growled towards her Private.

“N-Nothing ma’am?!” She questioned incredulously, thinking her superior had lost her mind.

“We can’t question her with all these people around! We’ll wait until she is alone, or with less people around.”

                  

                   

“So you mean we’re—“

“Tailing a suspect.” She announced to her subordinate. She smiled at Aviary. “Like I told you before: investigations just takes a bit of luck sometimes!”

27