Chapter 32: Civic Duties
278 2 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jennifer ran.

       

She ran and she ran.

        

Until she made it, all the way back to her bike. Where she finally stopped running long enough, to let herself feel winded.

“I can’t believe it! *PANT* *PANT* That was!— *PANT* *PANT* Him!—“

<Mistress? Mistress?! Are you alright?! What’s happened?!>

        

Jennifer continued to pant and catch her breath, as she thought about what she saw.

“It was him….” She wheezed out. “…He was there…”

<Where? Who mistress?! What person has caused you to run away like that?!> Ralts asked with righteous indignation towards whoever upset her mistress.

      

*PANT*PANT*PANT*

            

≈That Pokémon ecoterrorist!≈ Jennifer explained. ≈The one that Officer Jenny is looking for… …He’s in my class!≈

<*GASP* Oh no! What are we going to do mistress?!>

“The only thing we can do Ralts: we’re going to the police and telling Jenny we found him.”

Jennifer felt Ralts’s determined nod come from within her PokéBall.

<Then let’s go mistress!> Ralts encouraged. <The sooner we tell that police woman, the sooner he will be caught.>

Jennifer was glad that Ralts agreed with her. So that is exactly what they did.

Jennifer unlocked her bike, before mounting it and heading down to the station that Jennifer had gone to before.

             

                    

Jennifer climb the steps and entered into the police precinct, and headed to the front desk.

“Hi there, can I help you?” A young woman with brown locks asked Jennifer as she approached the desk.

“Hey there, is Officer Jenny in today?”

“Which one?” The woman asked Jennifer politely.

“Huh? Which one?”

“Yes, which Officer Jenny are you looking for? Private Officer Jenny? Lieutenant Officer Jenny? Sergeant Officer—“

“Look, I am looking for a teal haired woman named Jenny, and she works as an officer here.”

“Like I said, which one?” The woman repeats.

“Huh?!”

The officer behind the counter nodded her head.

“All of the different Jennys’ have teal colored hair, and they all look alike.” She explained.

“Why the hell do they all look alike?! How do you even tell them apart then? Or know which one works for which precinct?—“

       

“Jennifer?” Called a familiar voice to Jennifer’s right.

Jennifer looked, and spotted a blue haired woman, who was a little shorter than herself. Standing there carrying a load of files.

“Officer Aviary?” Jennifer called out to the Private. “Geez! You look like crap!”

And she did. She had huge bags under her eyes, along with looking disheveled; her hair sticking out in an unruly fashion.

“Gee! Thanks a lot!” Aviary huffed in outrage. “And here I was concerned something was wrong with you, but you have to go make fun of my appearance.

“H-Hey! Wait! Don’t leave! I didn’t mean it like that.” Jennifer placatingly tried to appease the Private. “I just meant you look over worked and exhausted.” Jennifer pointed out.

       

And to Jennifer’s great shock. Tears sprang to Aviary’s eyes.

“H-Hey now, d-don’t do that. Don’t—“

“UWAAA!” Aviary started crying and fell forward into Jennifer chest.

Jennifer flailed her arms as she wasn’t sure what to do with the adult crying into her chest.

She decided to just settle in and hug the distraught officer.

Jennifer gently directed Aviary towards the benches near the front entrance of the police precinct.

The desk officer watched as the young woman, directed desk officer Aviary to the waiting benches.

“Thank you for visiting Petalsburg City Police department~”

         

Jennifer sat down, while directing an upset Aviary next to her.

“Okay Officer Aviary, what’s wrong? Was it the thing I said?”

Aviary shook her head onto Jennifer’s chest.

“……No……” Aviary said plaintive manner.

“Then what’s the problem?” Jennifer asked again. I’m starting to think that Aviary is just a big kid inside.

Aviary sniffed again, without raising her head to look at Jennifer.

      

“…………………. Just read it ………………….”

Jennifer did a double take in shock at what she thought she heard Aviary suggested to her.

“Aviary… I don’t—“

“P-please!” Aviary murmured aloud. <Please just read it!> Jennifer heard her thoughts.

               

Jennifer sighed and nodded.

      

“Okay,” Jennifer conceded. “I’ll do it.” She then leaned forward, placing her forehead on top of aviary’s.

            

               

<“Okay, this is it huh? This is the best that your investigation has had to offer?”> The Chief of police questioned his subordinates.

Aviary was looking downwards in humiliated shame. Her eyes stung as she and her Sergeant had be berated for over an hour by both the mayor previously, and the Chief now.

Aviary heard Jenny take a deep breath next to her.

<“With all do respect, Chief. We found the perpetrator of the crimes, we know for a fact that,—“>

<“You know?!”> The Chief groused in frustration. <“You obviously know nothing Sergeant.”> The Chief barked while pouring himself another drink. <“Or? Maybe it’s that you prefer just plain old Officer Jenny as your title, rather than the second ranked Sergeant that you’ve been given?”> He threatened her.

Aviary bit her lip, to stifle a cry from escaping.

<All we needed you two to do, was to investigate the happenings, and find a probable relation for these incidents. Then we could have hired more men, or increased patrols around these area for which was is most likely hits.”>

<*SLAM*>

Aviary flinches at the sound of the metal mug, being slammed down like a gavel.

<“Instead! You harass now just one foreign exchange student: one whom we have a gag order on from her higher up connections.”> The Chief sighed as her put his head in his hands, to rub tiredly at his face. <“But you also go to the mayor and internal affairs, to suggest that, the son of the multimillion dollar foreign conglomerate ambassador; was in-fact, raising dark type Pokémon, and making them do random attacks to disrupt our local ecosystem. Which I must remind you, that you have hardly any sort of evidence, other than a testimony, from a supposed psychic, that we can’t even prove is real.”>

The Chief looked up from between his fingers to stare at the two women officers.

<“Does that about some that up?”>

<“Sir, I’ll I’m suggesting, is that if we could just get a cell tap, or some sort of surveillance on this guy, we could—“>

But the Chief was already waving a dismissive hand at her.

<“Enough Sergeant… enough… I really believed you could handle this.”> He told Jenny. “<But it seems to me, that you just used the powers that you were given, to try and play detective.”>

<“Try and?!—“> Aviary saw Jenny bristle at the implication of what the chief had said. <“We have an ID Chief!”> She argued. <We are one step away from catching him red handed! All we needed as some stakeout supplies and permission for surveillance, and we would have—“>

<“You! Are trying my patience, Jenny!”> The Chief interrupted once again. <“Even if this is the case. It’s actually not the case, because Hoenn can’t be involved in another international incident, like the one involving Team Magma  and Team Aqua.”> The Chief explained. <“Of we were to upset the Galarian region ambassador, then we may as well consider our island inhospitable for tourist, because that is what will happen. Some of the worlds most influential sponsors come from the Galarian region, and if we do anything to sour that, we may as well kiss everything we love about Hoenn goodbye.>”

The Chief then reclined back into his chair.

<“As it stands… I’m being forced to demote the two of you as is.”>

Aviary’s heart sank upon hearing this.

<*SLAM*>

<“YOU CANT DO THAT!”> Sergeant Jenny shouted. <“Aviary did nothing wrong! She was just following my ord—“>

<“AND SHE! WAS PART OF YOUR GODDAMN INVESTIGATION! AND DID NOT ONCE! TRY TO INFORM US OF WHAT IT WAS THAT WAS GOING ON OR TO TRY AND STOP YOU!”>

<“IS THAT WHY YOU GAVE ME AVIARY AS AN ASSISTANT?! TO HAVE SOMEONE TO REIGN ME IN?!”>

<“BECAUSE YOUR A LOOSE CANNON JENNY! YOU ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO PROVE! Just because of who you’re related to.”>  The chief said with a finality. <“I don’t need loose cannons on my team Jenny, so you best shape up and fall in line if you want to stay on the force.”>

Aviary could hear Jenny grinding her teeth in frustration.

<“Then why blame her?! Blame me! Aviary was just a private officer following her orders. I’ll take on both of our “punishments”.”>

<“S-Sergeant!”> Aviary protested weakly.

But her protest fell on deaf ears, and it mattered little in the end.

<“What? And make you as some sort of martyr within the precinct? For get it! You both will be blamed for the waste of department funds and both be held in a temporary suspension of your current ranks; you will both be demoted and work as one rank below your current one, while working on paper and desk work.”> The Chief informed them. <“Dismissed.”>

Aviary could barely see through the tears in her eyes, as she gave little hiccups of frustration.

           

            

            

Jennifer came out of the memories of Aviary’s mind with anger rushing through her.

≈How dare he! I should go up there and tear him!—≈

<Please Jennifer! Don’t!> Aviary pleaded.

≈But Aviary! He doesn’t understand that—≈

<I get it…. I—… I really do… you want to help… you want to see this monster of a trainer taken down and forced to pay for his crimes.> Aviary pointed out. <That’s what Jenny and I want too… it’s just not possible!… He! *HIC* He’s just to influential! We can’t even get close to him!> Aviary thought in despair.

       

Jennifer leaned back, as she thought about the problem at hand.

         

Then, a disturbing thought occurred to her.

≈H-Hey A-Aviary.≈

<Hmm?>

≈What’s happened to Mightyena? Is he?!—≈ Jennifer was to scared to think of what might had become of him.

<O-Oh…… I’m not sure…>

Jennifer tilted her head.

“You’re not sure?” Jennifer questioned the upset officer.

Aviary shook her head.

<No, I haven’t had any sort of info, related to that case, since almost two weeks ago.> Aviary informed her. <It’s—… It’s not inconceivable to think that, he’s…> Even Aviary was hesitant to put it into words.

Jennifer then gently placed Aviary back down onto the bench, and then looked into Aviary’s eyes.

Aviary trembled at the cold steely eyed stare of Jennifer’s blue eyes.

“Aviary, this is important. Would Officer Jenny know if he was okay? On the case, or not.” Jennifer asked curtly.

Aviary shivered and nodded at her question.

“Y-Yeah! She should know, one way or another, it’s just that—“

Jennifer stood up and started walking deeper into the police station.

“H-Hey! Where are you going?!” Aviary asked the retreating figure. She then quickly hopped up and headed after the young miss Barakat.

“I’m going to go ask Officer Jenny a few questions.”

“B-But! You can’t! If the department chief hears of you talking with us!—“

          

Jennifer whirled around onto Aviary, who halted in place, and stared once again into burning fiery sky-blue eyes.

“And I, don’t give a shit!” Jennifer told her firmly. “You can tell that Chief, that if he has a problem with me! He can come down here or to my house, and tell me off himself!” Jennifer nearly shouted.

Jennifer then stood up straight, and turned back around.

“Now, you can either escort me to Jenny’s office, or I can go there myself: I may have learned where it was in your memories, but I would rather not explain this to others.”

Jennifer told her before moving again, and heading back down the corridor.

       

As Jennifer got further away, Aviary shivered again.

Man… she is… really scary when she’s angry…

                                        

              

It was a two minute jaunt to Officer Jenny’s office. Which was more of a cubicle in the corner of the room.

         

“Hey Jenny…” Aviary said as hello to her superior.

Former superior… Aviary thought morosely.

Jenny looked up at Aviary in surprise.

“Aviary, what are you?—“

But then her eyes went even wider in surprise, as she glanced at the person next two her.

“Jennifer?! I,—kah! I mean I—, what are—“ Jenny had to stop and shake her head, to clear the cobwebs of her slow thoughts. “What in the world are you two doing here?”

Jennifer stepped forward to smirk at the sitting officer.

“Hi Jenny,” Jennifer greeted her. “Let’s talk.”

      

Jenny inclined her head to one side in confusion.

“About?”

Jennifer rolled her eyes.

“About a few things, actually.” Jennifer informed her. “For starters. What the hell?!”

“What?!” Jenny started at the young girl’s outburst.

“Why the hell is the investigation called off?! That’s Dragonite crap!”

“*SIGH* Look… It’s not going to be as big of a problem as we thought it was before, they higher ups are planning to—“

*SLAM*

Jennifer slammed her fist into the desk, leaving a sizable dent.

“I give a flying Pidgey fuck about what they’re doing. I heard about all of what their planning, and it’s stupid as shit!”

Jenny stared at the girl with wide eyes, before looking over to Aviary.

      

“Don’t look at her, or think that!” Jennifer berated. “She didn’t tell me, not directly: I read her mind!” Jennifer informed Officer Jenny.

“What?!”

Jennifer rolled her eyes.

“She told me to,” Jennifer explained. “But besides the point, what the hell is this crap that you two are dealing with! I came down here to find you two, to tell you two, that I found the guy!”

“”WHAT?!””

The two officers exclaimed.

“Where?!” “How?” Jenny and Aviary asked their questions respectfully.

Jennifer rolled her eyes, yet again.

“I met him in my school:” Jennifer told them, before explaining. “I went back to school at the university today for the first time, and would you imagine it! In walks the man from a certain Pokémon’s memories, that I happened to read.” Jennifer told them.

“What did you do?!” Aviary asked nervously.

“Nothing. I got the hell out of there and ran away.”

“What?! Oh no! That is the last thing you wanted to do!” Aviary told her.

“Yeah…” Jennifer said in a lamenting tone. “I realize that… but I didn’t have a choice: I either had to run, or I was afraid I was going to clock the guy, right then and there.”

Aviary folded her arms.

“Wish you had, if I was honest.”

Jennifer folded her arms while looking down at the furrowed brow expression of Officer Jenny.

“So?” Jennifer drew out the word. “What are we going to do about this?”

        

But to Jennifer’s shock, Officer Jenny just scoffed.

“What do you mean, do?” Jenny asked the young girl, before turning back to focus on the paperwork at her desk. “There is nothing that we can do; it’s over now: case closed.” Jenny told Jennifer.

And just as she was writing on the next sheet of paper to fill out the request for some evidence from a previous trial that these detectives were working on. Jenny could feel the stare of the girl standing at the corner of her desk.

                     

*SIGH*

       

Jenny looked up towards the young miss Barakat, who was staring down at her with a burning intensity in her eyes

“What?” Jenny asked why was staring.

“What do you mean?! What?!” Jennifer questioned the officer with her namesake. “Are you pissed?! Don’t you want to get this guy?!” Jennifer questioned.

“Of course I do!” Jenny confirmed. “But there isn’t anything I can do: we’ve hit a road block; a dead end. It’s over now, there isn’t anything we can do about catching him.” Jenny told the young trainer in a defeated tone.

“AH! Tauros crap!” Jennifer exclaimed. She then bent down and stared directly into Jenny’s eyes.

“We have him Jenny! We know where he goes to school now! And we know who he is! I get that he is a political figure, but so am I,” Jennifer pointed out. She smiled encouragingly before adding. “If I just follow him around for a few days and see if I can find his hide out, we can—“

        

“No.” Jenny said firmly to interrupt Jennifer.

            

Jennifer looked at the Officer she had grown to respect with surprise.

“W-Why?!” Jennifer questioned, not understanding Jenny’s hesitation.

Officer Jenny sighed before answering.

“Because Jennifer.” Jenny said firmly to the girl, while staring up at the burning blue eyes. “There is more riding on this, then just some dumbass punk, whose parents didn’t love him enough to discipline him.” Jenny told her. “We can’t let you get involved in this in anyway, or your mother and the Ejapul government will be on our asses faster than a Rapidash using Agility.” Jenny explained. “And we also can’t risk upsetting the Galarian embassy: Hoenn relies to much on foreign influences, to risk alienating Galarian sponsors: and we are also working on a plan to help mitigate the trouble Dami— I mean, this “trainer”, will cause. By stationing more officers near points of interest, where we believe he’ll leave Pokémon next. Along with a sizable reward has been issued to local areas, for trainers to capture or report any sort of suspicious activity.” Jenny nodded her head in finality.

“So as of right now, we have everything under control.”

         

Jennifer stared down at the brow beaten Officer she had at one time, respected.

“So that’s it… you come this far, and get this close to catching him… and all you do is give up. Is that it?! Are you just some coward that won’t take the last steps to finish what you’ve started?!” Jennifer questioned her loudly.

Jenny had had enough with Jennifer’s back talk.

“Alright Jen, that’s it! You are officially disrupting police work; I have entertained you, for the sake of returning the favor I owed you. But I’m not just going to sit here, and let you guilt shame me, on top of the mental beatings I’vs received from my Chief.” Jenny stood up and pointed towards the hallway at the end of the room.

“The exit’s that way. Leave! Or else I will have to have Officer Aviary escort you out.” She gave her a smug look. “You wouldn’t want Aviary to lose her job, just because she had to force you to leave, would you?!” Jenny threatened Jennifer.

Jennifer glared at Officer Jenny for a while longer before speaking again.

“I have just one last question before I leave.”

Jenny rolled her eyes.

“Of course you do. What is it?” Officer Jenny asked more out of curiosity than anything.

        

But now it was Jenny’s turn to be surprised.

Jennifer’s expression turned from hard and cold, to soft and worried.

“Is…— *GLUP* — Is Mighty okay?” Jennifer asked.

“Mighty?”

“Yeah… Mightyena. Is he still… still in the basement?” Jennifer asked the latter part in a whisper.

Jenny blinked at her question. She didn’t believe that Jennifer was all that serious about taking that Mightyena in after the case was over.

Because, come on! What kinda person, takes in a Pokémon that has attacked them?! No one that’s who!

          

Jenny sighed and put down her pen, to rub her temples.

“*SIGH* …… He’s scheduled for termination in the next three days…” She told Jennifer regretfully.

       

Jennifer almost couldn’t believe her ears.

        

“What?!” She breathed out in disbelief.

Jenny confirmed it with another nod.

         

“Yeah… I’m surprised we’ve been able to keep him this long. Normally they’re gone within a month, but we’ve kept this little guy for a little over three…” Jenny told her. “The higher ups have decided, that since there have been no more incidents recently, that these Pokémon we’ve caught, have all just been anomalies.” Jenny explained.

         

Jennifer just stared at her.

She couldn’t even feel herself getting mad.

She knew she was, but the blind disregard for the life of a Pokémon from these so called protectors of the law, were just ridiculous.

      

“I just…— *SIGH*” Jennifer realized she had gotten so angry, that it had immediately turned into apathy.

“You know what? Just forget it.” Jennifer said while turning and walking away from the two of them.

The two officers were left there blinking at the departing teen in surprise.

“W-Where are you going?” Aviary asked Jennifer.

       

“I’m going to go do my civic duties.” Jennifer told them without turning around. “I am part Hoenn after all.” She said to them.

“And when I come back here, I want my Pokémon released.”

        

Both Aviary and Jenny shivered at the cold tone with which Jennifer spoke just then.

                  

                 

————————————————

             

                

*KA-CHAK*

          

Umbreon looked up from the sofa, towards the front entrance.

“Welcome back—“

Just as he started speaking he stopped.

His fur stood up on end backwards down his spine.

Despite everything he had done to upset Jenny and make her made. He had never been scared of her.

But the expression she was sporting right now, made Umbreon want to run to the barn and hide for the night.

        

Which was only made worse, once her gaze landed on him.

             

He couldn’t move.

        

He couldn’t speak.

       

I’m so scared!

              

“Hey, Umbreon.” Jennifer called out to him, in a smooth and silky tone, which only added to the chills that ran down his spine.

“H-H-Hi Jen! H-How was y-y-y-y-y—“

        

“Umbreon.” Jennifer called his name once more.

             

“Y-Y-Yes?! W-W-What is i-it?!”

          

The smile that spread on Jennifer’s lips, made Umbreon regret asking.

        

“I need your help with something.”

       

Umbreon tilted his head in confusion.

               

“Um? Bre on?”

        

        

          

21