Chapter 37: Caught
243 5 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

May was sitting outside the university, waiting for Jennifer to come out. She was current checking her E-mails and answering messages. Talking with her sponsors for her brand line of PokéBlocks.

She looked at the top of her phone and noticed the time.

Twelve-forty-five. P.M.

                       

Huh?… She’s late. May thought to herself.

                       

May looked up and saw some of the students milling about, going which way and that; some having lunch or going to lunch.

                      

She shrugged.

Must be running late.

                

She decided to load up a news-site to see what was happening locally.

             

Her eyes went wide as she spotted two particular articles on the front page.

One was the main headliner, about an ambassador’s son being sent home after a disclosed incident, which was not made public.

The other, about how the Petalburg police station had been raided the day before yesterday.

A dual headliner! Wow! Don’t see that everyday.

May was then curious about what had happened with the ambassador’s son, but dismissed it, since it didn’t have much information on what incident he had committed.

“I wander if Officer Jenny was involved in that incident?… It says the whole first floor of the police department had been put to sleep by some perpetrator and his Pokémon. Wow! How did he end up pulling that off?”

       

May looked back down at her phone.

One-eleven P.M.

     

“Okay, yeah… she’s officially late.” She checked her texts and saw she haw do missed calls or messages.

“What happened Jen? Where are you?” May fretted as it became later and later.

      

Eventually, she just sighed, right before getting out of her car. She then headed inside the university, and headed straight to where Jennifer’s class was.

        

But when she got there.

                   

“Huh?” She looked inside the classroom. Which was completely dark.

“H-Hey?! What’s going on here?” May nearly shouted, as she stared in disbelief at what she was seeing. “I-… I wasn’t ditched was I?!……” May questioned for about a second, whether or not Jennifer had ditched her.

        

Then she shook her head.

             

“No”

May thought resolutely.

“She would never do that.” May determined. “She would have at least called or sent a text. What in the world is going on?”

May then called Jennifer phone for the first time, trying to get her to answer.

      

“#Hi! This is Jen! I’m unavailable at the moment: so please leave your name and number after the beep.#”

       

May’s phone slipped from her hand, as her fingers trembled in fear.

      

*SNATCH*

      

May had barely caught her phone before it hit the floor.

She sat there bent over in a hunched position, clenching her phone with trembling hands.

Where are you Jen?! Where did you go?! Please… Please! May prayed in her mind.

“…Please just be safe…”

       

May heard foot steps as she squatted there on the floor. Her gaze immediately went to the person moving through the hall past her.

“U-Umm!” May called out to them.

“Hmm? Did you need something?” The young man asked May.

“D-Do you know when this class ended?” May asked him.

“Hmm? The human biology class? …… Did they even attend to day?” He questioned, before scratching the back of his head. “When I went past there at ten-thirty to get to my next class, the room was dark already.” He told her.

          

*GASP*

            

May gasped in shock.

      

The man looked at her in concern.

“Are you alright, Miss? Did you forget what time your class was? Hey! It happens to the best of us.” He tried to console her.

*TSK*

“H-Hey?!”

May ran away from there as fast as she could, as she headed back for her car. She took her cell phone and tried to dial a number she barely remembered.

*RIING*

        *RIIING*

  *RIING*

          *RIIING*

            

“Hello! Sergeant Jenny speaking!” Shouted an extremely frustrated voice from the other end of the phone call. “This had better be about that report I asked for!”

“JENNIFER *PANT* IS MISSING!” May said as she ran back to her car.

           

“…….What?! ……Who is this?” Jenny questioned whether she heard the person correctly.

     

“Officer Jenny! It’s May, Jennifer’s friend. Jenny! I need your help! Jennifer is missing!”

Jenny couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

“……You know,” Jenny pinched the bridge of her nose. “If it was anyone else; anyone else in the world. I would have told you to just wait forty-eight hours to see if they turned up, then I would see what we could do.”

“BUT-“

“I know!” Jenny interrupted May before she could go on a tirade. “That is why I’m taking what you’re saying very seriously.” Jenny told May. She then pulled out a piece of blank stationery, along with a pen, to take notes. “Tell me the details, what do you know? Was she taken?”

“I— I don’t know! *PANT* *PANT* “I was— She was—“

“May, I need you to calm down, and tell me everything from the beginning.” Officer Jenny spoke clear instructions in a calmly voice to the young woman, to help calm her down.

“Okay?” Jenny asked the young teen to make sure she understood and regained her composure.

“*PANT* *PANT* …… Yeah …… Ye,— Yeah… I got it. From the beginning… *DEEP INHALE*” After a minute of deep breaths. May felt herself completely back in control.

“Okay. From the beginning: I got a text from Jennifer this morning, asking if I wanted to go with her and her Ralts after she finished with class this afternoon. So I went there at the time and waited over an hour, before going inside to see if her class was dragging on or something.” May explained. “But when I got there, her class room was completely dark. I asked someone if they had class today. He told me— *HIC* —He told me the room had been dark all day!”

Jenny nodded as she took down notes of what May was telling her.

“Okay… but that doesn’t mean she’s missing.” Officer Jenny pointed out. “Have you tried calling—“

“I DID! I did try calling her! That was the first thing I did after finding her classroom was dark! She— *HIC* —She!— Her phone! *HIC* Her phone! I couldn’t connect to it! It went straight to voice mail!” May shouted in distress.

“Okay, okay!” Jenny spoke loudly over the distressed teen. “Okay… I see. But have you tried her home yet?” Jenny offered. “Maybe her classes got canceled and she turned off her phone, then went back to sleep.” Jenny explained.

“But!— But! She would have called to tell me that! Or said we could have gone out together sooner! She would have text me to let me know, if something like that happened!” May argued.

“Look,”’ Jenny told May in a calm be stern voice. “Call her house. Ask her dad whether or not she’s home or not; and if she’s not, then call me back and we can start doing something about this.” Jenny explained.

“…………..”

“May?…”

“I knew I held onto too much hope that you would just help Jennifer when she needs you, after everything she’s done to help you!”

      

“May!”

      

“May?”

      

Officer Jenny looked down at her phone and saw it had been disconnected.

“Damn it!” *SLAM*

She slammed down the phone on the deck.

“………………….”

I miss the old style corded phones. Where I can slam it down in frustration, Without worrying about breaking it.

           

“Sorry ma’am, I hate to interrupt. But the chief requested you take a look at these files.” A regular private officer carrying a load of files.

“Ah! Okay…” Jenny said absentmindedly. “Just place them on the desk…”

“Okay ma’am.” The man walked forward and placed the files on the desk. Then turned around to walk out the door.

       

“Wait.” Jenny called to the officer.

“Yes ma’am?”

“Don’t you mean… Sergeant?”

The officer stiffened at the implication of what Jenny had said.

Officer Sergeant Jenny, smiled at man in disguise as a police officer.

       

“Did you intentionally disguise yourself in the same getup as last time, so that you would be easier for me to spot? Or have you just gotten lazier, since I didn’t spot you the first time?” Jenny asked him.

“That’s a bit harsh ma’am.” The man in the police outfit said with a chuckle to Officer Jenny. “Can’t it be, that you’re just good at figuring out disguises? Or just very good at spotting irregularities?”

Offier Jenny snorted.

“Not likely,” She told the man. “Because since the last time you were here, I’ve lost a rank from second class sergeant, back down to first class.”

The man smiled at what she said.

“Maybe,” He began speaking in an up beat tone. “They just don’t recognize your talents.”

              

She turned to look at the red haired man in the police uniform.

“I like that idea better than anything else.” She quipped.

Then her expression took on a serious turn.

“How much did you hear?” She asked him.

“Not much actually,” He told her honestly. “But you take such lovely and organized notes, that it wasn’t so hard for me to figure it out what the conversation was about.”

Officer Jenny nodded.

“Then I don’t need to waste time explaining.” She turned back to her paper work before throwing him her phone.

“Take that,” She told him. “It has my badge on the back, and you can call May or Jennifer’s phone if you need to talk with them straight away.” She explained.

The man smirked at the sergeant.

“What makes you think I don’t already have their numbers?”

Jenny snorted.

“Guess you’re getting old then: it’s not about you having their number, it’s about you having mine.” She explained.

The man in disguise opened his eyes wide in surprise, at how well thought out sergeant Jenny assessed the situation.

“I take it I can use this to the full extent of it’s authority?” He asked as he held up the phone, with the badge showing.

Jenny nodded.

“And more,” She told him. “Go get Aviary down stair before you gather others. Tell her the situation. She’ll know which captains and lieutenants to call in favors from.”

     

He nodded his head and was about to leave.

     

“Wait?” Jenny called out to him.

“Yes?”

“Why are you here anyways?” She questioned.

The man smirked.

“I wanted to see if there was any reports on the stolen devices from professor Birch’s lab.”

           

“Professor Birch?” Jenny asked.

The man nodded.

“A prototype device, along with a scan of a blue print of the device was stolen from his lab the other day. I wanted to check if you guys had any information about it.”

“Well,” She looked back at the scrambling officers running around. “As you can see. We have our own problems.” Jenny told him. She looked at his half hidden face. “What was stolen?”

“…………………..”

      

At first, Jenny thought he wasn’t going to answer her. But then he said.

“A device designed and created by Johnathan Yew.” He told her.

         

Officer Jenny’s eyes went wide.

      

“Do you think that this is some how related to this?” She asked while tapping the paper on her desk.

“I didn’t think it had anything to do with her.” He told her. “Now I think they aren’t separate at all.”

Jenny nodded at him.

“Then go then.” She told him. “Go get our girl back.” She said before turning back towards her paper work.

           

The man was already gone, before she even fully turned around.

           

                   

————————————————-

              

              

May was calling Jennifer’s dad, as she was driving down the road towards her house.

But all she was getting were busy signals or was sent straight to voice mail.

One of you better be home! May thought angrily.

              

May parked half in their lawn with her car, before jumping out. Leaving the car’s engine running.

She ran up to the house, tried opening the door, only to find it locked.

*BANG* *BANG* *BANG*

“JENNIFER!” May yelled. “It’s me May! Open up! Please! Tell me your— *HIC* —That your home!”

          

“JENNIFER!”

      

*CLICK*

        

*KA-CHAK*

        

“Jennifer!” May breathed relieved when she saw the door opening.

But her face fell when she saw a red lizard like Pokémon standing there in front of her.

“Char Char? Char mele?”

“Charmeleon…… is!— *GULP* —is Jen home?”

Charmeleon looked at May skeptically and shook her head.

“Char ar.”

May face fell as she heard this.

“No…” May felt raising panic as she had slowly began to run out of options.

“Did her— *GULP* —Did her and her dad go somewhere together?!” She asked Charmeleon desperately.

“Char Char, ar meleon Char.” Charmeleon said as she shook her head. She then pointed out of the house, towards the road down the street.

May turned to look in the direction of where Charmeleon was pointing. Then looked back toward Charmeleon.

“Professor Yew is!— *HIC* —At work?!”

Charmeleon nodded her head.

“Char.”

      

Charmeleon watched as May’s face fell and tears began to pour from her eyes.

“Char Char!” Charmeleon moved forward to catch May as she began to fall to her knees.

She hoisted her up, then gently moved her to the sofa.

As they sat there, Charmeleon gently patted May’s back with the palm of her head.

“Char meleon? Char ar mele?” Charmeleon asked with concern face, worried about what had May so distraught.

“Jen…… We….— I was…— *HIC* — I, I— *SOB*”

“Char are!” Charmeleon watched as May broke down into a crying mess. She pulled her over and hugged her close to her warm body.

“Char~ Char~” Charmeleon whispered reassuringly. Trying to gently to comfort the distraught teenager.

                     

“Cha- *HIC* Charmeleon! You don’t— *HIC* —You don’t understand why I— *HIC* —Why I’m so upset!”

“Char meleon. Charmele are Char mele Char.” 1“I understand, something has happened to Jen” Charmeleon said in reassurance. “Char mele mele on are Charmeleon  char, Char mele on Char—“ 2”But we can’t let ourselves panic, we have to keep calm—“ 

          

“I think Jen’s been kidnapped!” May blurted out, interrupting Charmeleon’s words of reassurance.

Charmeleon shook her head in disbelieving double take, as she pulled away from May quickly to look at her with panic on her own face now. She couldn’t believe her own ears and what she was hearing.

     

“What?!” Asked a deep almost contralto voice.

        

May nodded her head.

        

“That’s right… I went to Jen’s school after her class was supposed to end. And she wasn’t there! She wasn’t anywhere! I tried calling her and her phone went straight to voicemail!—“

       

May blinked.

         

Wait?…

        

She looked up at Charmeleon, whose expression was one of shock and panic, like she thought her own had been a moment ago.

“Charmeleon.” May called out to her. “Did you?…” May didn’t even know how to ask the question on her mind.

     

But Charmeleon shook her head, as her face shifted to a more serious expression.

     

“Now’s not the time to be concerned with that,” Charmeleon told her, before getting up off the sofa. Pulling May along with her. “We have to go tell Johnathan that Jen’s missing.”

     

May’s panic and worry were momentarily forgotten, as she watched for only the second time in her life as another Pokémon spoke the human language.

Charmeleon pulled May back outside, towards her car. She then opened the door and pushed May into the driver’s seat, the promptly jumped over her to get into the passenger seat.

“Take us to Professor Birch’s.” Charmeleon ordered.

May sat there stunned as Charmeleon spoke to her, giving her orders.

Charmeleon looked over at the stunned expression on May’s face, then rolled her eyes.

“Now is not the time to be so shocked over such frivolous things.” Charmeleon chided, then pushed May’s mouth gently closed with the tip of her claw. “We have to go find Johnathan and tell him Jen’s been kidnapped.” Charmeleon reminded with a gentle smile.

May slowly but surely nodded her head, then put the car into drive, and headed down the road.

      

She kept glancing over towards the Pokémon in the seat next to her, wandering if she hadn’t somehow picked up Jen’s psychic abilities or something else.

“If you’re wandering how: it’s from many years of watching late night television, and practicing alone by myself.” Charmeleon told May in a husky voice.

Charmeleon smiled a toothy grin at May.

“Obviously my family doesn’t know yet. So I would appreciate it if you didn’t tell them, and kept it a secret between us, for as long as you’re able, okay?” Charmeleon asked a favor of May.

      

May wasn’t sure what to say about that. So she just slowly nodded her head.

“Good… thank you May.” Charmeleon told her gratefully. “When we get to Professor Birch’s, you’ll have to be the one to do all the talking again. So please try not to break down, and keep up your spirits.” Charmeleon told her.

        

Again. All May could do was nod in agreement at Charmeleon’s words.

       

Her words….

            

This has been one insane day…. May thought to herself. As they pulled into the parking lot to Birch’s lab.

The human and Pokémon both jumped out of the car, and ran towards the lab’s front entrance.

Once inside, they searched around, until they found the person they were looking for.

“Professor Yew!” “Charmeleon!” 3“Johnathan!”

              

As they ran towards Jennifer’s dad. May couldn’t help be glance at Charmeleon.

What a liar!  May thought to herself.

            

“May? Charmeleon?! What?!— kha- what are you two doing here?”

“Professor Yew, Jen is missing!” May told him flat out.

“W—What?!” Johnathan exclaimed.

May nodded her head.

         

“It’s true. I went to pick her up after school, so that we could go hangout afterwards. But she wasn’t there. I was told they didn’t even have class today.” May explained to him. “Then I tried calling her, but got no answer, so I came here, hoping to just find her sleeping at home or something!— *HIC*”

Johnathan was becoming more and more panicked himself the more he heard.

“So- So her phones off?!” He asked May, just to confirm.

May shook her head.

“I- I don’t know. Every time I call, it goes straight to voice mail!” May told him.

                      

Johnathan nodded, then pulled out his phone.

         

“What are you doing?” May wandered.

“I’m looking up her GPS coordinates.” Johnathan told her. “Of her phone is on and the battery is still operable, then I should—“

          

His face drooped into despair, as he had no signal other than her last known location registered.

               

“I…— I can’t see her phone on my GPS.” He told May.

            

May looked at Profeesor Yew in desperation.

“W-What does that mean exactly?!” She asked panicked.

“It… it either means that, she is in a place with no signal… or… or her battery is disconnected or is dead.” He told May.

May looked at Jennifer’s father with hopelessness.

“N-No way?!”

Johnathan nodded with a watery expression. His face looked like that he could cry at any moment.

“All!— All I have!…— Is her last available location……” He informed May.

                 

“But that is still something to go on!” She encouraged. May then grabbed him by his shoulders and shook him gently. “Where?! Where was she last?!”

                

“She…— it… it looks like she made it to school… that she made it to the university.”

        

May nodded her head.

            

“Got it.” She acknowledged to him before turning and running back the way she came.

“H-Hey! Wait! Where are you going?!” Johnathan asked her.

“It’s it obvious?!” May shouted back towards him. “I’m going to save my little sister!” May told him.

“Call the police on your way there May! Tell them Jen is missing! I need!— *HIC* —I need to call her mother! Let her in on the situation!” He shouted back.

May nodded her head, as she ran out of the facility.

                     

May jumped into her car, then started dialing Officer Jenny’s number again.

“Hello, Officer Jenny’s phone, Lance speaking.”

May couldn’t believe her ears.

“L-Lance?! As in dragon trainer Lance?!” May started questioning reality at that moment.

       

“The one and only!” He told her. “I take it Jennifer wasn’t at home?”

May had to do a triple take at how Lance had anticipated what she was calling about.

“Y-Yes. I mean, no! She wasn’t at home!… but how the heck,— I mean! Why the heck?!”

“I was there at the station, checking on a situation, when I came across Jenny having a conversation with you.” Lance explained to May. “Afterwards, she lent me some of her authority, and we’ve begun a hut to look for Jen, May.”

May was shocked to hear that Officer Jenny had acted immediately after talking with May.

Maybe I missed judged her.

“Then I have some information! I just got done talking with Professor Yew. He tried tracking Jen’s phone through her GPS. Her phone isn’t responding for whatever reason. But her last posted location was at the university.” May explained.

       

“Okay, that helps us at least to know where she may have been taken or gone missing.” He told her. “Then we’re on the right track,” Lance told May. “We’re already here at the university and we found Jennifer’s bike.”

“I didn’t even think about that! I should have looked for that as well!” May thought aloud and angrily with herself.

“It’s alright May,” Lance told her reassuringly. “These things happen. We sometimes tend to miss the obvious once we’re panicking. And this is a tense situation. It’s understandable that you’re nervous.” He told her. “The best thing to do, is pull over. Cry or yell. Get it out of your system. Anything you need to to get yourself back in control to start thinking rationally.”

“I think I’m past that now… I had a cry earlier.” May told him. “……Now I’m just scared…”

“………..Me too May…………. Me too.” He told her. “But you shouldn’t worry.” He told her.

“Why shouldn’t I?!” May argued. “My best friend may have been kidnapped, and she could be in grave danger!” She shouted.

“That’s the thing May,” Lance said to her. “If she’s been captured by the group I think she has. Then they’ll want her hail-and-whole. They won’t risk harming her unless necessary: so she is probably safe.” Lance explained.

“But still! They have her!” She argued against his logic. “Who knows where she is now or what they’re doing with her!”

“Don’t worry May,” Lance told her. “We’ve already closed down a few ways of getting out of the immediate area, but they have had a few hours head start.” He explained. “We’re checking local travel agencies now, along with closing off roads leading from the university. We’ve also delayed and canceled several flights leaving Hoenn, or any of the ships that were scheduled to depart. Along with calling any ships back that have departed.”

After pause Lance spoke again in a firm voice.

“We’ll find her May, mark my words: we’ll find her.”

            

May nodded, even though Lance couldn’t see it.

“I sure hope so!” She said in a strained voice.

             

Oh Arceus! Please watch over Jen! May prayed.

                        

                      

                             

18