Chapter One: The Protagonist and also a Fairy
130 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Eve was alone.

Now that was nothing new, she had been alone for quite some time. Most of her life, actually. But that was more of an… emotional loneliness. There were still technically people around. Now, however…

Eve sat up in the forest clearing she found herself in. Likely far from civilization. (She had no proof of this, but she was willing to bet it was the case.) For the first time in a while, she was well and truly alone.

Eve rose to her feet and dusted off the pile of leaves she was lying in, half of which seemed to have found every loose thread in her outfit to attach to. As she cleaned the stubborn leaves, she wondered about how she found herself here. She had been living a perfectly normal life on earth, and she couldn’t recall anything strange happening. She hadn’t died, or been summoned by some fancy magic circle.

Or did she? When she thought on it, she realized that she could not recall anything leading up to her…. transmigration. She was in her apartment just having a glass of water and relaxing for the day. After that, the memories fade into the fuzzy land of forgetfulness. Rather unhelpful, but not immediately harmful.

She decided that her first order of business would be to find civilization. With that objective firmly in place, she started to head off when she was startled by a voice from behind.

“Hello!”

Eve leapt away from the sound, arms flailing in instinctual defensiveness. As she calmed down from what she felt was probably closer to a heart attack than she would like, she looked around for the source of the voice, finding no-one.

She heard the voice giggle, then what she initially thought of as a bright spot moved, and flew closer to her. As the ball of light came closer, the light dimmed, and Eve could make out the form of a tiny flying woman. A fairy then. Or pixie. She wasn’t really sure of the difference.

“Pretty unusual to see a fae out here. Are you lost, by any chance?"

Fae? Nonono, Eve was human… right?

“I am a bit lost but.... I'm human."

The fairy raised an accusatory eyebrow.

"I'm not stupid y'know. Anyone with a bit of magic could tell you're a fae." She sighed. "I swear, I know you fae are particularly deceptive but this is just insulting."

"But I'm not-" Eve paused. If the fairy thought she was a fae, and thought the fae deceptive, further argument would likely just dig her deeper. She sighed her own sigh. "Forget it..."

The fairy smirked. "Yeah, I thought so. Now then, what are you doing in this part of the Lost Woods?"

Eve turned away from the fairy with a slightly annoyed look on her face. Annoyed, and a little sad.

"Does it matter?" she said, sitting back down in the leaves and wrapping her arms around her knees. "If I'm so deceptive I'm probably just lying anyway." Eve curled up a little tighter. She was not pouting. She was merely....

....

...Eve felt the fairy land on her shoulder. There was a moment of silence before the fairy spoke again.

"Okay, I'm uh... I'm sorry, about that. I  just... I mean... that was generalizing and I apologize. Really though, I don't see how you could possibly be human. I mean if anything you'd be an elf. There aren't any humans with pointy ears."

Eve started slightly at that, and reached up to her ears. Pointy. They lengthened out towards the back and up, and they were just a little ways away from being described as sharp. Stunned, Eve took a few seconds checking and rechecking her ears. Then she inspected her hands. If she thought about it, they did look a bit paler than they should. An almost imperceptible shade of blue too, despite the fairly warm surroundings.

"I'm... a fae?"

She looked up to find the fairy scanning her face with an increasingly concerned look. "You... really didn't know, did you?" Eve shook her head, and the fairy's eyes widened.

"Oh. Oh dear, I should... I should tell, or find- what do I.... Right!" She pointed at Eve as she seemed to reach a conclusion. "Stay here! I'm going to get someone who might know more about this. Seeing as you didn't know you were a fae, I think it's safe to assume you don't know where this is, do you?" Eve shook her head again. "Right. Okay, I'll be back soon. Don't. Move. This place isn't exactly safe but there's nothing in this immediate area. So you should... Just stay put, okay?"

And with that, the fairy flew off. Leaving Eve alone.

 

1