Chapter 14: Myka
180 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Me: What do you mean I contacted you? No I didn't.

Lana: You did! You told me to meet you at the mall today. What is this? You're scheming on me now? Myka I didn't know you were such a petty bitch! Maybe I should also send some goons in your way this night while you sleep, how's that? 

What the heck?... This crazy two-faced bitch actually... What is she talking about? 

Me: Hold up, what are you talking about? I don't know what happend to you but it wasn't me, okay?! I'm not that petty, okay? 

I can't believe she actually thought I would send her some goons just because of some beef between us over a boy! 

I'm actually hurt by that. I've known her for years since we were kids! I'm the only one that knows her deepest darkest secrets. Heck I bet I'm the only one that knows she's actually crazy enough to do what she just said she would! Not even her own mother knows her true face!

I don't like her and I know she doesn't like me either. But we didn't need to like each other for us to maintain our business relationship. This pretend ruse we were acting to fool the rest of the world. Especially our mothers. 

We are actually quite the same to each other. We both only have our mothers, we are both from merchant families, our families' business are the same; theirs are just on a much much much larger scale, even our circumstance of hiding our true colors are the same; hers is just much much much darker than mine, heck we even like the same guy! She just wouldn't fucking admit it! 

All in all, me and Lana are like two pristine pieces of papers that have an ugly ink blotch we both want to hide from the world. Hers is just much darker and larger than mine. 

In short, she's a damn crazy bitch! Thinking about it again, she's actually really scary. 

But we still get along well with each other, no matter if we both like it or not because of our circumstances. There may be some differences in our opinions at times but we both know to get off each others boundaries to maintain this current status quo we both need. 

We both have a good grasp of each other's personalities and bottom lines after all. 

And I know she also know me well enough to think I would send her some goons! And from what I've heard from her story they weren't even that good! 

Really! This two-faced bitch... 

Me: It really wasn't me! I lost my phone since the other day, so I don't really know who tricked you by using that phone. I'm actually messaging you now to let you know. 

... 

... 

......

Me: ... And, you bitch! Don't you dare ask for evidence! I think I can somehow guess what your thinking right now, and NO! IT. REALLY. WASN'T. ME!!! I obviously don't have one but you know I'm not like that! I'm not you!!!  

Hmph! This girl really... Why isn't she replying? Oh my fucking gosh! Is she actually... 

*Ping!*

While I was having a sudden internal panic, the sound of my new phone receiving a new message finally arrived. 

Slightly, and I meant reeeally slightly, I slowly read her message slightly nervous. 

Lana: I know I'm just messing with you. I was just talking to someone. Hey we're good to go to the baptism tomorrow for real this time right? 

Phew... 

Me: Yes of course, what about it? 

I curiously ask. 

Lana: I'm bringing someone else with me. 

Ack! Excuse me?!... No, wait a minute... 

I abruptly erased what I was just writing and typed a different one... 

Me: Is it a potential connection? You know, like one of them people you are unabashedly mingling with in school in order to spread your network more. 

Lana: ... Maybe? 

"What?" I unconsciously let out that dumb mutter in surprise. 

What is this? It's very unlike her to be unsure of something. Especially with people she associate herself with. I know very well, because me too. One of mom's top lessons. 

She is very picky with her 'friends' just like me. 

Me: What does that mean? 

I ask. Now curious for real. 

What kind of person could possibly make The young missy Lana Belvek unsure about them? 

Lana: He was the one that saved me from those guys from the martial club earlier. I'm not entirely sure about him since his mother was just a doctor. But he's quite stylish and he knows some of those noble's etiquettes. Rather smart too. He said he too still hasn't gotten baptized so I agreed to let him join us. 

Me: So you decided yourself? Nevermind, I'm also curious about this new knight in shining armor of yours. Not that I can tell you to cancel now. 

Lana: What knight? For your information I didn't need his help at that time at all, you know?  

Heh! Yeah right! Like who would believe that?

Lana secretly enrolled to the sword class without her mother knowing. I don't really know how she managed to hide it since the school normally make reports to the student's family regarding these matters but she did. My guess was that she bribed the Chairman Mr. Seth, into hiding that fact from her mother. He has always been known to be a very opportunistic man after all. 

If she really did, it must've cost a huge amount of money. 

Anyways, she's quite talented with the sword. One of the bests within the freshmen of the university, or so what the professor of her class says. But she never participate in any tournaments or activities like clubs because then the rumors that is already spreading within the school quietly may become uncontrollable. 

And of course she would get find out by her mother. 

The only reason why the current rumors within the school isn't blowing up is that because the students assumed she must've gotten approval for joining the sword class from her mother or that it's only another one of her sudden whims like usual. 

So in consultation, Lana is strong, she's a strong and talented Swordswoman. But since she is keeping the fact that she joined the sword class from her mother, she doesn't really own a personal sword of her own. Hence, in normal times when she's out of the sword class and swords practice she's nothing but a normal girl. She's just as vulnerable as any other girl. 

It would've been different if she could use magic but she hasn't even been baptised yet. 

You think your lie would work on me? Dream on! 

Me: Yeah ok whatever... I'll just message you tomorrow on my way there. 

Lana: Alright see you there. And don't be late! 

Bitch! Say that to yourself! You're normally the one being late! 

                                                                                 



As I have expected I was the first to arrive at our meeting spot in the mall. But contrary to what I thought of me having to wait for at least half an hour, Lana arrived just five minutes after me.

When I glanced the way she came from, I saw the leaving back of her usual chauffeur getting back to the car. 

Ha! What do you know? She can actually be punctual for a change. 

Well for all I know she could just be excited for the baptism. 

Now all that's left is Mr. Hero... 

As I was just thinking that, I heard Lana shouting an unfamiliar name. 

When I looked over the direction she's waving at, I saw a tall pretty boy in army camouflage jacket and black shirt approaching from inside the mall. I guess he came even before me after all. 

Hmm... Lana's right he does have a way of carrying himself. 

With how our families are big time merchants, both me and Lana have been thoroughly trained to discern other people's characteristics and upbringing just based on their demeanor alone since childhood. 

From what I can see he does have a very dignified and noble air around him that cannot be mistaken for that of an ordinary person. 

Of course I would never have a way of knowing this at all. But what we didn't know was that Aziel has been trained to make great and lasting impressions to people since he was young in his previous life. Because of the nature of his circumstances he learned how to attract different kinds of people in a single glance, this skill of his has been learned through thorough hardships and experience that it has become like second nature to him and he does this even unconsciously. Like right now. 

Did she said his mother was just a doctor? What about his father? Is he an illegitimate child of an Aristocrat? What household then? 

Urgh! This is frustrating! One of the things I hate the most is lacking in information on people I have to interact with. How am I supposed to know how to better approach a conversation then? 

Lana went on in introducing us. And there she goes again with her precious young missy act. 

I rolled my eyes internally. 

Huuuh... Now focus, you have to put on your mask too. 

This guy has a nice personally from what I see so far. He's cool to be with, minus the cane. What's with that cane anyways? Is he injured or something? Or is it just for aesthetics? Anyways, all in all I guess this day wouldn't be as much of a hassle as I thought it would be. 

When we arrived at the High Temple and into the High priest's room. We were given a bit of the same usual preaches that all Churches of Fertility priests says to all people undergoing the baptism. But the whole time the High priest has been looking on Aziel with a rather serene(?)... look. 

As I thought, he must be from some aristocratic family if even a high priest knows him!

And then we were led to a long corridor into a room filled with holy inscriptions. We might not be able to see it but it's obvious as the ambiance of the atmosphere in the room is very different than the outside. 

We continued normally with the baptism and nothing much happend. 

Well, except that the High priest gave Aziel an extra longer time than the rest to talk to the Goddess. 

This is a baptismal room, with all these inscriptions, it is not an exaggeration to say that this is one of the places much closer to the Gods in this world. And during our baptism, we are to give our most sincere prayers to them and hope that they would grant us their blessings. In short, magic. 

But this High priest even stepped back to give Aziel more time and space as he (talked) prayed to the Goddess. He even snickily poured more holy water into the inscription altar as he stepped back, making it look like a little accident. That should make the inscription more potent and thus easing the communication with the Goddess better. 

Hey! That was too obvious High priest! Don't you think that's too much favoritism? Even if you know him and you were told by his family to assist him that was too much! 

As I thought, even Lana and the other baptismal candidates with us noticed and they started whispering to themselves. 

And then after a bit, the High priest finally approached Aziel to pour the Holy water on him which would signal him to stop praying and become the catalyst to igniting his magic given by the Gods. But as if hesitating if he has given the guy enough time or not, the High priest's hand shook and flinched while pouring the holy water. 

For real? That's so unfair! 

After finishing his turn, Aziel went back our way with an expression that says as if he's confused of the situation, because the rest of the baptismal people here with us are looking at him while whispering to each other. 

No no, you don't get to give us that dumb look as if you're the one confused here after that! 

Well were told to leave the room and finally head to the ancient stone kiosk where we'll finally find out what our affinities are. The ancient stone kiosk is an ancient artifact said to be bestowed by the Gods to each churches. 

We then went back to the long corridor before and made to continue further. This corridor, I'm pretty sure they used some kind of void magic here to make it seem so long as if never ending. 

I've heard it once from my mother, the kind of void magic that transports people to different parts of a place unknowingly, to make them go around in circles never to reach their desired destination, or so what she said. 

In this case, it may look like we're just walking on a very long corridor, but in truth, we're really being transported to different corridors within the high temple. 

It's a secury measure I suppose. Without the High priest here to guide us, we may not be able to get out of this loop of corridors. As expected of the High Temple. 

Speaking of priests, the priests that were suppose to just wait back in the room earlier for the next baptismal candidates after us to arrive also came with us. I can tell they weren't supposed to come with us since we met with other groups of baptismal candidates led by other priests. And they are only with one priest per group. 

Also, the priests that followed after us are sneaking quick glances to a certain golden eyed pretty boy since earlier. 

Are you people also in cahoots with the High priest? What's with the special attention? Is this what they call the disparity of social statuses? I'm kinda feeling it and I'm supposed to also come from a prestigious conglomerate family you know? Not as big as Lana's but still! 

And that guy! He's just looking around as if he isn't aware of anything, like he's actually the one confused or something. 

I think I'm starting to kind of not like this guy after all. 

When we reached the place where the ancient stone kiosk is, we waited for a bit more for the group of people that came before us to finish their turn then our group were made to line up to wait for our turn at the kiosk. 

I'm excited! I want the water magic affinity. Please be the water magic affinity! 

As I was excitedly praying like that to myself I felt a tap on my shoulder and found Lana... 

"Hey switch places with Aziel, his leg is troubling him." She said flatly. 

When I look over to where she pointed I found the person in question standing at the end of the cue line. 

I frowned at that. 

"Why? Is his legs that weak? As I thought, an injury?" I asked slightly annoyed. 

"I'll explain later just let him switch with you."

I look over his direction again and our eyes met. He just gave me that apologetic upturned puppy like eyes and an apologetic smile. 

"Tsk." 

You're lucky you're cute mister. 

I switched places with him and almost immediately he went to have his turn on the kiosk. 

"So? What's wrong with him?" I ask.

Not really that curious but more information is always better. 

"He just came out of a coma and he is still recovering. He can apparently walk by himself but his legs would easily tire out without his cane." she replied nonchalantly. 

...! 

...... Wow, that's not something you would hear often or if at all. 

"Hmm~..." I just nodded in affirmation. 

Anyways, speaking of the person himself, when the High priest is about to prick his fingers, he has the expression of someone being pressured by something. 

I don't think his family would kill you just because you pricked his fingers for the ritual you know? 

I rolled my eyes internally for a second time today. 

As Aziel approached the kiosk, I noticed all the priests that came with us make an effort to take a peak at his information in the kiosk and nodding to themselves as if in satisfaction. And that High priest even showed him off to the benches with a look that seems to be of approval(?).

...*Glare!*... 

Now I'm really curious about that guy's background. This blatant show of favoritism is really getting on my nerves. 

When I finally had my turn I rejoiced at the appearance of water magic affinity on the kiosk! 

YES! YEEEEEESSSS!!! 

By the way, Lana said she got the wind magic affinity when I asked later. 

Our day ended with a cup of coffee and some snacks together at the nearest coffee shop, courtesy of mister golden eyed young master(?). He said it's a small thanks for letting him come with us and for his intrusion to the both of us 'friends'. 

Heh! Not really, if it were just me and Lana alone I'm sure it would be an awkward silent outing going to and from the High Temple. So his presence was kind of welcomed. 

Anyways, through and through his manners is impeccable throughout this day. And we separated after that coffee in peace. 

Aziel the golden eyed young master(?). I gotta make sure to keep an eye out for him in the future. 

                                                                                 



"Hmm~ today's a lovely day." 

I cheerfully mutter after ranning to go back to the coffee shop to buy some coffee for mom and dad, hot chocolate for the kids, another serving of latte for me and some snacks for all of us. 

"Hehehehe~ they will be so surprised when I tell them later." 

With a smile and a mood of pure carefree happiness I haven't had in a long long long time, I bought some things here and there for the kids. Then, I went on my merry way home to tell them of my good news. 

I didn't know it at that time, but that day is gonna be the last day I will have to be as carefree as I want without any worry whatsoever. 



9