Chapter 18: To The Event!
134 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While eating I informed mom of my schedule for the day. I told her about the event of the Mathematical association and how I had to be there for the announcement of the award. 

I had talked about it with Sir Isaac before.  

He explained that I would be officially awarded and conferred with the Grand Mathematician medal of honor in lieu of solving two unsolved equations throughout history. 

After that I am supposed to give a short lecture on how I solved the equations in front of an audience filled with math enthusiasts. I am guessing they are the very members of the association itself. 

I had thought this to not be a big deal at all. Like, just some small award ceremony after a small contest. 

At first, it seems to be so. Since the Mathematical association's building before was so scarce of people. 

I had thought them as just some private group of hobbyists but now it just don't look like that at all. 

They are totally making a big deal out of this in the internet after all. 

They first announced the completion of the two equations then followed it by the announcement of the award ceremony. Anyhow, they now seem to me to be actually a big association. 

I am missing a few important variables here. But I wouldn't know that until the near future.

"Should I come with you?" Mom asks in the middle of taking a bite on her sandwich. 

"You don't really have to mom. I would just be giving a brief lecture to the association members and receive the award. I think it wouldn't even take that long. And what about Luke and Nicole if you come then?" I explained. 

But mom suddenly froze from chewing her food. 

"Yo woub be awaibed?" (You would be awarded?) She said while hurrying to swallow her food.

"Um... Yes? That's what I said... Mom it's alright you really don't have to come. You can just rest he---" 

*Tak!*

"What are you saying? I would definitely have to go... No. The kids too. We will definitely go!" 

Quickly downing a glass of water to clean her palate, she excitedly exclaimed like so. Also urging the kids to quickly finish their foods. She then promptly went upstairs, to quickly get ready I suppose. 

"We're going out!!?" Luke exclaims and also hurried to finish his food, making Nicole mimic his enthusiasm too. 

I am dumbfounded. 

What's with the reaction? She makes it look like such a big deal...

Then I was struck by a sudden realization. 

That's right! This is suppose to be Aziel's... 'My' first award since being 'born'. So it makes sense that mom is getting all excited about this. 

"Now now. Eat your food properly. You will choke." I urge the kids to eat a little slower. 

Well, I guess it's fine for them to come too. I think I can convince Sir Isaac into letting them watch as well. 

I thought like so with a smile of excitement also appearing on my face unbeknownst to myself. 

It seems I am also unconsciously looking forward to my first award ceremony with my 'family'. 

After we all finish with breakfast mom showed up just as we were going upstairs after I took the used plates to the sink. She took the kids from me and told me to get myself ready to head out. I just smiled helplessly at her but did as I was told. 

I went back to my room and opened my wardrobe trying to find anything presentable. 

And I am just now realizing that when we went shopping last time we didn't get anything for formal events at all. 

Well shit. What now? 

"Mmm...!" As I hummed like so in impatience a compromise formed in my mind. 

I guess something neat will do just fine. Right? 

I then took a white turtle neck shirt, my black jacket and pants. These should do. I hope. 

I need to remember to go to another round of shopping later. 

I put them on and proceeded to fix my hair. 

There's not really much I could do with it. Even in my previous life I didn't learn to fix long hairs. I just put it on a low ponytail for now. 

"Should I have a haircut?" I mutter absent-mindedly. 

I'll think about that later. 

I went to the living room to wait for mom and the kids. I guess she's giving the kids a shower and dressing them before getting dressed herself. 

After a bit over thirty minutes they finally appeared from upstairs. Very ready to go. Mom even had dad's camera. I just smiled wryly at that. 

Seriously... 

"Alright! Everyone's ready let's go!" Mom ushered all of us. 

Since dad had the car we commuted to the mall. Luckily there wasn't much traffic on the way and we arrived at the Mathematical association's mall branch with a good half an hour to spare. 

I led mom and the kids inside  and not even five steps in the receptionist from before quickly greeted us. 

"Oh! You must be sir Aziel and...? Companions! Welcome! Please wait in the room for a bit and I will inform sir Isaac of your arrival." 

Wow. That's a stark contrast to how you were before. 

We did as we were told, I led the others to the only other room in this place. 

To my surprise, the room is now completely different from the other day. Before it had a number of desks and chairs for the overseer and the participants. Like how a classroom from highschool would be arranged. But now it transformed into what you would call a parlor. 

There is now a set of fancy looking sofas and a couch. An intricately designed coffee table and a couple of paintings hanging by the walls. 

I was baffled. 

Why did they change the place? 

"They're so soft!" Luke plumped face first into the couch. 

"Hehehe~" And Nicole giggled as she bounced up and down as soon as she sat on a sofa. 

"Now now you two. Sit properly and behave." 

I looks like mom became tense at the sudden sight of the fancy room and she promptly made the kids stop from what they were doing. 

Well, can't blame them. The Edevanes is just a middle class family at most. 

We may not be as well off as to afford luxurious things like these but we're not that poor either. 

As for me, while I may be surprised at the sudden change of the room I am not as impressed by the things here. 

I've seen things way better from my previous life after all. If it's a parlor, the more absurd ones that I had as a target at those times would have something crazy like a whole wall made to be an aquarium, or a display of rare animals' preserved carcasses and more. 

So to me, this one actually looks pretty standard at best. Even simplistic I'd say. 

Me and mom sat down on the couch. While the kids sat on each sofas. 

The door opened and in came the receptionist with a tray of refreshments and some pastries. 

"Sir Isaac is on his way, please have these while you wait." He said as he put the tray onto the table. 

He then left right after. 

The kids dug into the pastries almost immediately while mom and me took our time with the refreshments. 

Mm~ it's a kind of iced tea. This is quite nice. 

While I was have such thoughts ten minutes past by fast and sir Isaac finally arrived. 

"Sir Aziel! Thank you for your patience I hope you didn't wait long. I suppose this is Mrs. Edevane and... little kids... aaah siblings? I recon you would also want to watch the awarding ceremony?" 

"Yes very much so sir." 

Mom and Isaac shook hands. I took the liberty on introducing them to one another, also briefly including the kids. 

Issac then put a hand on his plumb belly and informed us of today's schedule. 

"The venue is the Mathematical Association's main building just a few minutes drive from here. I hope you don't mind me sending you to the make-up team we hired briefly. We prepared an appropriate attire for you. You are the star of today's event after all! So you have to look perfect! I will take the rest of the family straight to the venue in the mean while. Then the awarding ceremony will start and after that is your brief lecture. There will also be a small feast for lunch after." He said while rubbing his belly. 

"Well if that's the case let us not dally and go." 

The tenseness of mom from earlier is now completely gone with the mention of the awarding ceremony again. 

Haha... Seriously she's more excited than I am. 

With mom's prompting we left to the venue. And just as Isaac said we arrived shortly after a few minutes. 

When we got off the car there is a group of people awaiting us. Issac introduced them as the event's planners. 

There's the team leader, a photographer, the make-up artist, the fashion stylist, and the hair stylist. 

Isaac practically 'handed' me over to them saying they will know better what to do with me and then he took mom and the kids into a different part of the building like he said he would. 

I watch their leaving backs until they are no longer in sight. Then turned my head back to the direction of the five people I've been entrusted to. 

The team leader is currently in a phone call. 

"All teams be ready. The VIP is here, have everyone be on standby." 

Which from the sound of it, is a call to the rest of the people under her. 

The rest of the four has been eyeing me up and down since being 'handed' over. 

Feeling awkward of their stares I just smiled dumbly not really knowing what to do. 

"Alright if you four are done analyzing him I would very much appreciate it if you immediately get to your works." Miss team leader prompts the four to move. 

"Damn! He's going to be a piece of art when we're done with him." Miss fashion stylist exclaims. 

"You bet ya!" Looks like she is close with Miss make-up artists. 

"I'm getting a spark of inspiration!" Miss hair stylist entered a world of her own. 

"I didn't know we were going to be working on a precious diamond in the rough..." Miss photographer seems to be still analyzing me. 

"Enough chit chats and get moving!" 

"Ahk!" 

Miss team leader suddenly pulled me away from the scrutinizing stares of the four ladies. This made them hurriedly follow after us. 

I was taken into a room that looks so much like a celebrity's waiting room. 

At the sound of the door opening, the bunch of people in the room immediately snaps their heads to the direction of the door and in conjunction, to me. 

"Ahaha... Hello?" Suddenly being put in the middle of all those stares I simply muttered a small greeting. 

The scrutinizing gazes then came back stronger. 

Looking around, on one side, there's a dressing table with a huge mirror and an extra table filled to the brim with things like make-up, hair dressing tools even more mirrors and other little trinkets. 

One another side are racks and racks of outfits. 

Then there is a mysterious door that leads to I don't know where. 

This... 

Wait. Isn't the scale of this too much? Did sir Isaac really prepared all this to be ready to work on me? Aren't I just going to be taking a small award from the Mathematical association and presenting a short lecture? Why is all this necessary? 

Sir Isaac! You went overboard! 

What I didn't know at this time is that the Mathematical association isn't just simply some association of math enthusiasts and mathematicians like in my previous world. I did not know yet the difference of importance of math from that world and in here. So I was extremely underestimating the scale of this event. 

I was then pushed into the room by miss team leader. And just after me, in came the four ladies. 

"Alright everyone! You just have an hour and twenty minutes to do anything you want with him. Do your best! Good luck!" 

W-wait... 

With a thumbs up and a meaningful smile my way, she then closed the door slowly with a loud creak. 

Like she knows full well that the slowly creaking door was an indication, that once that door fully closed my fate would be sealed. And I would be left here to become a toy for these people for the next hour and twenty minutes. 

*Slam!*

"..." 

Huuu...!

With that sound, I finally accepted my fate. 

I slowly turn back to the group of around twenty people in the room with me. 

"Umm... Go... Easy on me?...... Please?..."

I plead. 

7