16 – Intervention
309 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was cleaning the upstairs one afternoon when there was a loud knock on the door. Liliana was out with Henry, as was now usual, and Trevor was working in his study. I leaned the broom against the wall and went downstairs to answer the door.

To my surprise it was father and mother who came to visit. For the past 2 months, ever since Trevor started raping me, I'd avoided seeing my family as much as possible. I knew they couldn't help me and I didn't want them to suffer for me, and I was also too ashamed to show my face before them. Why were they here now?

"Please tell Trevor to come down here", father said. I went upstairs to inform Trevor, then followed behind him, curious to know what this was about. Mother never accompanied father on business or to visit father's family, since she was nothing to them. This was especially true with Trevor, who hated her.

Father and Trevor sat on opposite armchairs. Mother came to stand by my side near the foot of the stairs and hugged my shoulders while intertwining her tail with mine.

"So father, what brings you here today?", Trevor asked politely.

"I'm here to take Vivian home", father answered evenly.

"I'm afraid that's not possible", Trevor said. "She is mine, and I have a great need of her here".

"Henry is big now and Liliana can manage on her own. I need Vivian back at home", father answered.

"And I need her here. I'm not giving her back", Trevor said.

"I'm the one who gave her to you", father said.

"She was a gift, not a loan. You have no right to demand that she be returned to you", Trevor said.

"Then I'm willing to pay for her. Name your price", father continued in his businesslike manner. I was somewhat moved that he would offer to buy me at any cost just to get me away from Trevor, but I didn't have any hope that the offer would be accepted.

"She's not for sale", Trevor replied. Father contemplated for a moment, then changed his tactic.

"Have you given any thought to how all of this is affecting your wife?"

Trevor barked out a laugh.

"You're one to speak. Did you pay any consideration to mother's feelings when you chose to love a cat over her? But I'm not cheating on my wife's feelings. I'm merely venting mother's grief, not loving an animal over my wife".

Father's face darkened.

"From your wife's perspective what you're doing is far worse than anything I have done, and what I did I did to help your mother. She was ill after giving birth to Mark. At that time I only turned to Rose to avoid burdening your mother", he said.

"What you did hastened mother's death! She fell even more ill because your actions sickened her!", Trevor shouted his accusations.

"I can't get vengeance for her from you or that flea-ridden rat-eater you call a lover, but fate has placed her spawn in my hands. It must be that the gods themselves want to help mother's soul find peace in the afterlife, and so they have given me the chance to visit punishment upon the animals that have harmed her!" He declared triumphantly.

I shook and mother hugged me tightly. I could feel her shaking too. I knew Trevor hated us, but I didn't know his hatred ran so deep, or that he even imbued a religious meaning into it. No wonder he was so stubborn about keeping me by his side and abusing me. My punishment was a holy ritual for him that he did out of love for his dead mother.

Mother let go of me and entered the sitting room. She stood between father and Trevor, then turned to Trevor and prostrated herself on the floor before him.

"Please, sir Trevor, my daughter was not the one who wronged mistress Lily. Take me and punish me in her place. I will accept anything as long as she is not harmed any more", she begged.

For one short moment I was relieved that I wouldn't have to suffer anymore. Then I was ashamed and horrified at the feeling. I couldn't let my mother take my place. I ran to her side and tried to pull her away.

"Mother, please don't do this. I've already been through so much that I've learned to bare with it. There's no need for you to suffer as well", I pleaded with her, but she ignored me.

"Please, sir Trevor, trade my daughter for me", she repeated, louder this time. Trevor looked only at my father, seemingly ignoring the two of us.

"What do you say, father? My main grudge is with the old cat. You can have the young one if you give her to me". He said with a smile. Father shook with rage, but he seemed conflicted. After a few seconds he steadied himself with a deep breath.

"You have already harmed one. I will not allow you to harm another", he said.

"Well then, I believe our business here is concluded, unless there's some other matter?", Trevor said with a note of triumph.

"There is", father answered. "I will take responsibility for what you have become. I won't disown you as my son, but you will be my son in name only. I will no longer partner with you in business, I will remove you from the inheritance, you are no longer welcomed on my property, I will prohibit any member of my household from having any contact with you, and I will urge everyone I know to distance themselves from you. I believe Liliana's family will be doing the same. You will suffer the consequences of your actions in whatever way we can, until you free Liliana and return Vivian home", father said. This time it was Trevor's face that darkened.

"I don't need your money. I can manage just fine alone", he hissed.

"Maybe, but one day you'll wake up and realize that you're all alone, and you'll realize what a terrible mistake you've made. I just hope that it won't be too late for you then", my father said. There seemed to be pity in his eyes. That only served to anger Trevor further.

"Get out of my house, and take your mangy old cat with you!", he shouted.

Father regretfully shook his head.

"Come, we've done all that we could here", he said to mother and walked out. I helped mother get up off the floor. She gave me a quick hug and kiss and sped after him. I stared at their retreating backs through the open door. I could hear mother's crying, but the sound was too faint to reach Trevor's ears.

Content warning:
The next chapter contains a severe beating and rape.

5