5. Killed
1.5k 12 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning: violence, death. scenes may be disturbing to some readers.

"Thanks Sue," I smiled as I watched her make the tea. "Do you really think it'll work? I mean some of that stuff's basically straight off a kitchen shelf. Like rosemary and thyme, I use those for seasoning pork."

Susan grinned, "Look I'm no witch ok? But I read a lot back when I was into the occult. It's not that the herbs themselves are magic, not exactly? But there's aspects to them which, if you believe in this kind of magic, are aligned with certain energies. So if you're using these things to cook with then that's fine. But when you're using them to try and do something magical, then you're deliberately engaging with those other energies."

I frowned as I tried to get my head around what she was saying, but it really didn't answer my question. "Ok but seriously, do you think it'll work?"

"It might?" she replied with a shrug. "Here's what I know, Mara. This stuff has to be done with intent, and with belief. It's ok to question, but doubt kills magic. If you believe it will work, if you expect it to work, then it might really work? If you're not sure but you're hoping it'll work, it could still work. But if you don't think it'll work, then it absolutely won't."

That just made me frown harder.

"But I want it to work," I stated.

She smiled, "Then have a little faith, and it may just do what you want."

After a pause she warned, "It's probably not going to taste very good though. I doubt you need to drink the whole thing, but maybe half a cup?"

"Ok," I replied as I stared at the pot of simmering water as it slowly turned pale green.

It was Monday night, and the two of us were in our little kitchen making up some 'magical' herbal tea. Or at least, Susan was making it while I watched and asked questions. She found the recipe online, and according to her it sounded pretty legit. At least none of the ingredients were dangerous or harmful.

When the tea was ready Susan strained it into a mug and I tried some. It was pretty rank, but I held my nose and forced a bunch of it down.

"Ugh," I groaned. "Ok now what?"

She smirked, "Now you go to bed and focus on what it is you want to know. I think it might work best if you sleep alone though, so you aren't distracted? How about you take Melissa's room tonight, and I'll keep her busy with me?"

I nodded, "Ok Sue. Thanks. I guess we'll know in the morning if it worked."

We tidied up the kitchen then I brushed my teeth and got ready for bed, while she joined Melissa on the sofa.

• • • • •

My wings beat in a strong regular rhythm. My destination was just ahead, I could see the volcano rising in the distance. The journey would have been much quicker and safer if I'd simply used magic to transport myself, but I preferred to fly. I got to see lots of interesting things along the way. Not to mention I simply enjoyed the act of flying, and I'd been in the air for nearly two and a half days since leaving my home on Thera.

The land below me was all part of the Roman Empire. I wasn't a great fan, they were too militaristic for my tastes. Though as individuals many of them were ok. I supposed that was the same with all peoples. There would always be good folks and bad folks, they only became a problem when the bad folks congregated and seized power.

I kept myself invisible as I flew above the treetops and over the occasional farm or villa. Now that I was almost at my destination I slowed and took a slightly scenic direction. My mater lived north west of the volcano, at the north end of the large bay. I flew more or less due west, towards the sea. When I reached the coast I'd turn and follow that, to pass over the small ports and towns.

I passed by Nuceria, then a short while later I flew above Pompeii. My course brought me to Oplontis, and there I turned to follow the coast, and eventually my flight took me past Herculaneum.

It was there I caught the scent of something appetizing, and decided to stop for a snack. I circled once and spotted my target. A girl, perhaps seven or eight years of age, was standing by the roadside with tears running down her cheeks. Her clothing suggested she was either a peasant or a slave. She was a pretty little thing, despite her tears. She had long straight dark hair and a delicate face.

I landed behind some trees a dozen paces away, and shifted to my human guise as I became visible. I appeared dressed in a fine red gown with gold rings and jewelry, the locals would take me to be a young noblewoman. Then I emerged and approached the crying child.

She didn't notice me until I was next to her, too caught up in her sorrow to realize there was someone with her. When she did finally register my presence she started slightly and her sadness was joined by fear.

I put a gentle hand on her shoulder and in a soft caring voice I said, "Fear not child. I saw you crying by the road and took pity. Is there some way I may help? What happened, to leave you so distraught?"

The girl calmed quickly as I drew both the sorrow and the fear from her. I took it slowly, so as not to harm her. And I didn't take it all, I didn't want to leave her forever bereft of those emotions. They were after all part of what made her kind human.

She relaxed as I fed, and her expression settled on a pout. "My mama sent me to market to buy a chicken, but thieves took the coins mama gave me... Now I have to tell mama I've lost her coins and we have no chicken either."

Recounting the tale caused more sorrow and fear to bubble up, and she showed me the scrapes on her arms and knees as she explained how the brutes pushed her to the ground before taking her coins.

I gently absorbed the renewed sadness along with the fear, and from within the folds of my gown I produced a dozen silver denarii.

"Here you go child," I held out my hand and dropped the coins into hers. "Now you can get your chicken and your mama won't be disappointed. Keep these coins well hidden though, lest you run into more thieves."

Her eyes lit up wide and bright as she stared. I had no idea what a chicken might cost, but I knew enough about the local currency that a dozen silver coins ought to be more than enough.

"You are too generous Lady!" she exclaimed as her little fingers closed tightly around the coins. She wrapped her arms about my waist in a sudden hug, then just as quickly she backed away and bowed as she apologized for her impulsive action.

I smiled, "Run along now child. I must be on my way."

The girl bowed and thanked me again, then hurried off in the direction of the market with the coins tightly clutched in her small hand.

I turned away and resumed my journey, on foot for the moment. I was still some distance from my mater's home and I would take to the air again shortly.

My walk brought me past some small villas and farms. The child probably came from one of them, and I never did find out of she was a slave or not. She spoke of her mama rather than her master though, so I assumed she was a citizen.

After some thirty or forty minutes walk I was considering a return to the air. There were some orchards on either side of the road which appeared ready for harvest, and I moved off into one of them to find a quiet place where my transformation would be unobserved. The great volcano loomed over the entire area, visible above the trees to the west.

I shifted back to my natural form and stretched my large black wings as I looked up at the mountain. I thought briefly about flying up there for a closer look, but Neapolis was so close. I decided to visit my mater first, then perhaps on my way back to Thera I'd tour the mountain.

Just as I was about to take flight my senses and body were simultaneously assaulted.

The scent of another demon filled my nostrils, but I had no time to react. Large strong hands grabbed me from behind and wrenched my wings back, while a powerful scale-covered tail lashed around and drove its barbed tip into my left side. I barely noticed that as pain ripped through my body when those unforgiving hands snapped the joint at the base of my right wing.

I let out a shriek of pain, and my attacker let go of me. I stumbled forward a few paces then fell to my knees. The ground trembled slightly as he circled around before me. I was expecting some stranger, an unknown enemy to gloat over me. I was shocked to see a familiar face looking down at me, and rather than gloating his expression was quite neutral.

My left hand pressed over the injury in my side and I could feel the poison already spreading through my gut. The pain was matched by the agony of my broken wing. I had no hope of escape. I was much too young, too weak, and too small. I might have been able to call my mater for help, but I held off incase that was his plan. I wouldn't call her into an ambush.

Instead I looked up at my attacker. Ten feet tall, bronze coloured, covered in thick powerful muscle and half his body protected by scales hard as rock, he was a formidable foe. His huge black feathered wings were folded up on his back and his long thick tail swished back and forth with the dangerous barbed stinger exposed.

Alone and injured, I didn't have a chance.

"Armaros," I asked weakly, "What have I done to enrage you so? I thought we were allies..."

His low, rumbling voice was as calm as his expression. "You've done nothing to upset me Mara. I have no grudge with you."

I shook my head, "Then why?"

"My lover wishes you dead," he replied with a slight shrug. "It's nothing personal. I'm sorry."

Before I could respond he moved faster than my eyes could follow. His claws flashed and

• • • • •

I woke with a start. My heart was pounding and I felt shaky with fear, while my body was coated in a cold sweat.

The dream was still strong in my mind and I had no idea if Lily would have seen any of that. I never asked before if she saw my dreams or whatever. As frightened as the experience left me, I didn't want to risk forgetting any of those details.

I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and with shaking hands I opened the notes app and started typing out what I figured were the most important bits.

Armaros. Lover. Herculaneum. Thera. Neapolis. Mater. Sorrow. Fear. Kindness.

The dream was already starting to fade, but even without the details I still had the fear. According to my phone it was half past three in the morning but I didn't think I'd get back to sleep again.

I did my best to stay quiet as I left the bedroom, then went into the kitchen and got myself some juice. Finally I sat down on the sofa with my juice and my phone, and started searching some of those words I'd written down.

My research didn't turn up too much. A few of the words were places, and I pieced together enough from that and what I half-remembered of the dream to know Lily's daughter lived on an island called Thera, Lily lived in Neapolis, and Herculaneum was right next to the volcano. And that was where the other Mara died.

I still got chills from that part of the dream. It was so sudden, so brutal. Especially after the thing with the little girl was sort of kind and touching.

And I couldn't help feeling sad for the little kid. Like she got bullied, robbed, helped by a kindly demon, then the volcano probably erupted or whatever. I hoped she escaped that, hoped she was ok. Then I remembered all that stuff happened two thousand years ago and she'd be dead now regardless.

The whole experience left me feeling shaken and sad.

It was nearly five in the morning and I was on my second glass of juice when I sensed Lily's presence get stronger. I knew she'd just woken up and I put my glass down then closed my eyes as I stepped back into her apartment. As soon as I was in there I threw my arms around her and held her as tight as I could.

"Good morning Mara," she said softly as she gently wrapped a large arm around me. "What's the matter? Why are you up so early, what's got you so upset this morning?"

I looked up at her and took a deep breath, then blurted it all out at once.

"I was flying from my home on Thera to come visit you in Neapolis. A demon named Armaros attacked me just north of Herculaneum. He said it wasn't anything personal but that his lover wanted me dead. That's why he killed me."

My demon mom's eyes widened as some of the colour drained from her face. She let go of me and stumbled backwards, then slumped down onto her big leather sofa with a dazed look on her face.

Can't wait to find out what happens next? Join our Patreon and get immediate access to the next chapter and more! Patrons have already read up to chapter 12 and you could too!
https://www.patreon.com/purplecatgirl

114