Chapter 47
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Danika hugged Nathan once he landed. Then she slapped each of his cheeks. After which, she kissed his lips and hugged him again.

“I thought I lost you,” she said, squeezing the life out of him.

“You just might, if you don’t let go. My ribs will give out soon,” rasped Nathan. He was released, and he looked to the man who saved him.

“Thank you, grandpa Thinker. I will never forget what you did for me,” he said, and the elderly man nodded at him.

“Next time, don’t try to make a deal. I am many things, but a murderer is not one of them.” Said, grandpa Thinker. “And it would have been murder if I hadn’t come.” He added when Nathan began to shake his head. “Our inaction weight just as heavily as our actions. Now, where is grandma Merriweather?”

Grandpa Thinker went searching for grandma Merriweather. He found her sitting by a fortune-teller, having her future told her.

“And the man that you love is coming our way,” said the fortune-teller and grandma Merriweather turned around to see grandpa Thinker coming their way.

“You are excellent, not a fraud at all. Tell me, dear, will he ever propose to me?” This was grandma Merriweather’s greatest worry. That she would never get to call herself grandma Thinker. When the little toddler had called her that, she had warmed her aged heart. But then Albert had to dash her hopes.

“Listen here and listen well. There is a matchmaker three stalls from here. She runs a game show for the best couple of a bunch. Answering questions to see how compatible each couple is. Why don’t you give this relationship a test? See if you and your man are compatible first?” Said the fortune-teller. Grandma Merriweather nodded grimly.

When grandpa Thinker finally came, grandma Merriweather took him by the arm, paid the fortune-teller, and then proceeded to drag him to the matchmaker. There they saw a group of children crowding the matchmaker. Now, why was that?

The two went to the nearest child and poked his shoulder.

“Sweetheart, what is happening here. Aren’t you all a bit young to think of love?”

“Annie and Jacob are having a face-off against Theanore and Marinus to see which is the best couple. Hush, now, grandma. Annie is about to answer what Jacob's favorite color is.”

Grandma Thinker looked at the stage and saw four toddlers on rocking chairs with the matchmaker between them. She squealed internally. This was just too cute.

“Your favorite color is blue, Jacob,” said Annie, and the boy looked down on the ground.

“It is green, Annie. I got your color right. They got their colors right. Don’t you like, like, me?” Asked Jacob, and a lot of the children made an “oh” sound.

“I’ll get the next thing right, Jacob. I promise!” Said Annie, her voice wavering a little. Grandma Merriweather wanted to go and hug her to stop the little toddler from crying.

“Ok, children. What is your favorite animal? Marinus, what is Theanore’s favorite animal?” Asked the matchmaker.

“Thea’s favorite animal is a giant hamster named Petunia.” Said Marinus, sure of himself. Theanore always gave Petunia extra belly rubs and foot massages.

“It is! It is Petunia!” Said Theanore, happy that Marinus knew her so well. Granted, she was told that this was a friendship compatibility test and not a love test. But in Marinus' defense, he did try and fail to explain the true nature of the contest.

“Well done, Marinus. Now, Theanore, what is Marinus’ favorite animal?” Asked the matchmaker. Theanore smiled brightly. That was an easy one.

“It is a murder muffin named Rip.” She said. She has caught Marinus giving extra fish to Rip more than once. Not to mention, he always cuddled the murder muffin at night.

“It is Rip. Especially now that he no longer scratches me.” Said Marinus, taking Theanore’s hand and giving it a light squeeze. Grandma Merriweather melted at that. If she and Albert ever adopted children, she wanted them to be just as cute as those two.

“Ok, Annie. Now think really hard. What is Jacob’s favorite animal, dear.”

“Hm, that is a hard one since Jacob is allergic to fur…” She began, and Jacob looked down, expecting for her to guess wrong again. Then she got a cheeky grin. “But he has a pet lizard by the name of Dippy. He sings to it, tells it fairy tales, and writes it a journal. If Dippy is not Jacob’s favorite animal, then I don’t know if he even has one.” She said, and Jacob looked at her and returned her grin with one of his own.

“I just want Dippy to be comfortable.” Defended himself, Jacob, as some children snickered.

“You love him more than me!” Accused Annie.

“I love him just as much as you.” Mumbled Jacob.

“You never tell me anything about yourself. I have to watch you like a hawk.” Countered Annie.

“I’ll give you my journal and Dippy’s too, if you want it, to read. And we can go have a walk around the fair, and we can buy a new empty journal, so we can both write a join one together,” said Jacob, and he was tackled to the ground by an excited Annie. The little girl pointed at Theanore and Marinus.

“You win this round, but just you wait until we fill a journal! We will show everyone that we are a better couple then,” then she stood up and dragged Jacob towards the direction of the stall that sold notebooks and journals.

“We won’t be any less compatible. This competition is silly, Mari. Let us go eat some cotton candy with the last silver coin we have,” said Theanore, and she dragged Marinus off the stage, who managed to grab the two love medallions for the winners as they were going away.

They were simple silver chains with a heart each. Not costing more than fifty silver coins. Considering the entrance fee for the contest was fifty coins, Marinus would be damned if he didn’t take them.

“Now, who wants to be next?” Said the matchmaker, smiling after the toddlers.

“We will be.” Said grandma Merriweather, and she dragged a pale grandpa Thinker on stage.

“And who will they face against?”

“Us,” said a plump woman who dragged a man just as pale as grandpa Thinker on stage.

4