Chapter 114
29 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cassius had assumed that Theanore was supposed to stay in his room, and so that was where he brought her. He helped her untie her shoes and get underneath the comforter. He was just about to leave, when Theanore grabbed his hand.

“It is nap time, Cassy.” Said Theanore, and she tugged him towards the soft bed.

“I am a man grown, Thea. I don’t have nap times.” Said Cassius proudly.

“You are six-years-old, Cassy. You are not a grown up. At least stay with me as I sleep? This place is new and I am scared.” Said the little nymph. Cassius’ eyes softened at that, and he got into the bed with her and hugged her.

“Would you like a bedtime story?” Asked Cassius. Theanore nodded.

“Ok, it happened long ago. Near the dungeon of mushrooms.” Said Cassius. “It is a story about two cats and their kittens. Mostly about the female cat.”

“Cassy, what is the difference between a murder muffin and a cat?” Asked Theanore. She had first seen a cat in Mirstone, but it had run away from her before she could pet it.

“Well, murder muffins are smaller than a normal cat and meaner. A normal cat is lazy, while a murder muffin is active. Now, onward with the story. So, the female cat was named Tamara and the male cat was named Bundy. They had two kittens: Autumn and Frank.” Said Cassius, and he heard a giggle from Theanore.

“Autumn is a pretty name.” She said, and she yawned.

“It is. Well, they lived next door to the dungeon of mushrooms. Under the care of a woman named Dorothy. She was a baker and gave them lots of milk with bread and mince meat sandwiches.”

“Dorothy sound nice.” Said Theanore as she cuddled closer to Cassius.

“And she was. But not all was as it appeared with her cats. The female cat used to be a human, once. And the male cat, a dwarf. Not a dwarf from the northern continent. But a dwarf from another world. He was evil, too.” Said Cassius.

“Oh, no…” Said Theanore, and she covered her mouth with her hand.

“Bundy wanted to be a dwarf again. He was blind to see he had a good life and home with Tamara. So, he captured souls thanks to his magical crown.”

“Bad Bundy.” Said Theanore. Her eyes were closing, but she did her best to keep them open so that she wouldn’t fall asleep. She wanted to see Bundy brought to justice.

“Yes, very. But one day, Tamara found the boss room of the dungeon of mushrooms. She killed the boss, McShroom, in an epic fight. She tore at his flesh with her claws and ate the dungeon core and became an ascended mob.” Said Cassius. Theanore shivered.

“I hope no one eats my apple sapling. I have been good. I have never hurt anyone.”

“So were the mushrooms, Thea. Bundy killed and ate some chickens a while back, but he blamed the mushrooms. They tried to defend the birds every night, but Dorothy got them and sold them. Sometimes, it doesn’t matter that you are good.” Said Cassius. Theanore nodded, now fully awake.

“Tamara led Dorothy to the boss room and the baker saw the crown and the golden statuettes that were all that remained after Bundy worked his foul magic. But she didn’t suspect Bundy. He was just a cute cat. No one suspected him, but Bundy still got worried.”

“Was he brought to justice?” Asked Theanore.

“No, he has a happy ending. He releases the adventurers he had captured and goes home to his family. Overall, no one but the chickens that he killed gets hurt.” Said Cassius with a smile. He liked it when there was a good ending to a story.

“I’m glad. Although, Bundy should have been punished. Where is the dungeon of mushrooms, Cassy?” Asked Theanore. Now, that she had heard the good ending, sleep took hold of her again.

“In the forest of plenty. But Dorothy was a human. One of the few.” Said Cassius. That part of the story always baffled him. What was a human doing in elf lands?

“Have a good nap time, Cassy. Thank you for the story.” Said Theanore, and she closed her eyes. Cassius hugged her closer. He liked that he was taller than she. Better to protect her from everyone.

Eliza and Marinus were still at the table. Without the Prince and the Princess, they received all the congratulations. Eliza turned towards Marinus and handed him a chocolate chip cookie.

“Mari, what else do you like?” Asked Eliza.

“A murder muffin called Rip, I guess Hiss is good too. Oh, and a giant hamster named Petunia. She is Theanore’s favorite.” Said Marinus. Eliza pouted at him.

“You keep speaking of the Princess. Well, I won’t have it. I am your best friend now. What is more, I am your wife.” Said Eliza as she stomped her foot. Marinus began to eat his cookie silently, not paying attention to his wife.

He wondered what Theanore was doing now. Did she get her bedtime tale? She liked happy stories. Did Cassius know that? And she liked to be cuddled and when she woke, she liked her nose to be poked. She was cranky if that didn’t happen.

“Eliza, is Cassius a good boy?” Asked Marinus, his wife.

“The best. And he is polite too. The Princess has a great friend in him.” Said Eliza. Then she began to eat silently.

Marinus wondered what had brought this change of demeanor in the bubbly girl, and then he reflected on the way he treated her. Distant and dismissive. If someone treated Thea like this, he’d be furious at them. Bloody their noses, even.

He extended his hand to Eliza and smiled.

“My lady, would you honor me with a dance?” He asked and nodded towards the clearing between the tables where couples danced. He could see Crassus and Esmer there too. Eliza smiled at him and accepted his hand.

3